Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I was mostly following along with the youtu.be link chat but I'm not sure where it ended up. Is there still some weirdness there?

Gonna fire up the build script and get the commie kong release out the door. Appreciate all the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

I was mostly following along with the youtu.be link chat but I'm not sure where it ended up. Is there still some weirdness there?

Gonna fire up the build script and get the commie kong release out the door. Appreciate all the help!

Yeah, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is the issue

- Awful renders a youtu.be link in [ url] tags as a video, whereas on desktop it's just a link
- If you paste a raw youtu.be link in Awful, it translates to a [ url] link, not a [ video] tag

The combination of these two things leads to an Awful user thinking they made a working video embed, but if it's viewed on desktop it shows as just a link, and the poster has no idea. I'm not sure what the solution should be, maybe make Awful render a pasted youtu.be URL as a [ video] instead of a [ url]?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Is there a way to follow a link to the SAclopedia in a thread without then having to login in a browser window? If not, that would be a very useful addition.

Thank you, I use your app all the time!

Also, is there a way to donate something to y’all that built and work on the app? I’d love to buy y’all a drink or something in thanks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is the issue

- Awful renders a youtu.be link in [ url] tags as a video, whereas on desktop it's just a link
- If you paste a raw youtu.be link in Awful, it translates to a [ url] link, not a [ video] tag

The combination of these two things leads to an Awful user thinking they made a working video embed, but if it's viewed on desktop it shows as just a link, and the poster has no idea. I'm not sure what the solution should be, maybe make Awful render a pasted youtu.be URL as a [ video] instead of a [ url]?

Why not convert the .be link to a full YouTube link when pasting?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey here’s an idea: on double tap, what if the post that scrolls up shifts a little bit more (the height of the avatar section) this would allow you to continuously double tap in the same spot on the bottom to the right of the user name.

This much:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

commie kong posted:

Holy crap, I have a fix for this.

Will clean it up and submit after testing a bit more

Thanks! My blue bubble friends are going to get 10x the comedy and won’t even know what hit em.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

So the gif copy fix is pending review on GitHub.

I wanted to post again cuz I’ve 90% sorted the fact that the image viewer redownloads images every time it’s opened. It now loads from cache instead. No spinner at all when opening up that goddamn mr freeze gif for the billionth time, which I’m sure we can all relate to.

The remaining 10% is error handling :v:

I’m also trying to prevent the text selection that occurs when long pressing images, which forces you to dismiss the little “Copy | Look up | Share” menu that appears.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anyone else having problems pasting a photo from the Photos app? I get the usual tap >[img]>Pasre and can paste the photo. But posting just gives me an endless “Posting” animation

iPhone SE 2020, latest iOS and app version

Edit: OK, works if I go tap >[img]>From Library and select the image there

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 19, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Anyone else having problems pasting a photo from the Photos app? I get the usual tap >[img]>Pasre and can paste the photo. But posting just gives me an endless “Posting” animation

iPhone SE 2020, latest iOS and app version

Edit: OK, works if I go tap >[img]>From Library and select the image there

I just tried to add two images and the app crashed

Honestly just use the shortcut.

It’s nice that the feature is there but most of the time it’s just easier to not use it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
for the love of god please have spoiler tags also break tweet embedding on the app

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Having thread titles show up as “The Something Awful Forums” (with the correct tag) in my bookmarks. Only on the app, haven’t tested on browser, but I haven’t updated and it just started today so it may be the site. Will cross post to the app thread too.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

pokeyman posted:

When you say "copy a post", what would you hope to paste? The text of the post? A screenshot?

The text of the post, basically the stuff that shows up when you quote it minus the formatting elements.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It seems to be a thing with ignored users in threads for me. Check my earlier posts where I reported the same thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Minor feature request/bug fix: Could we disable auto formatting of URLs when inside a code block?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Save draft is cool and all but if you go back a page it clears out the saved draft.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Save draft is cool and all but if you go back a page it clears out the saved draft.

Haha I thought I’d pressed it wrong or something

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Not sure if this has been asked before. A lot of time if I close my ipad pro 11, carry it somewhere else in the house, and open it back up, Awful will be zoomed in and/or scrolled up about 1/5 of a page from where I was. It won't have reloaded when this happens, like when its thrown out of memory and you lose the scrollbar. It zooms in a reasonable amount when this happens, usually, but not a huge amount, like maybe it zooms in to the point where it cuts off 1/4 of the right side of the page for example. And the amount it scrolls up isn't fixed as far as I can tell, but on average about 1/5 of a page, maybe a bit further if I was at the bottom of the page.

Does that happen to anyone else? It doesn't happen to me all the time, but often enough that I've noticed it.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

commie kong posted:

So the gif copy fix is pending review on GitHub.

I wanted to post again cuz I’ve 90% sorted the fact that the image viewer redownloads images every time it’s opened. It now loads from cache instead. No spinner at all when opening up that goddamn mr freeze gif for the billionth time, which I’m sure we can all relate to.

The remaining 10% is error handling :v:

I’m also trying to prevent the text selection that occurs when long pressing images, which forces you to dismiss the little “Copy | Look up | Share” menu that appears.

I'm still having fun with cache.

Had to cut this vid down by 10 secs for imgur. Before it starts, I clear my cache and enable "Always Animate GIFs".

I replaced the "You cleared 0MB" alert message with... something else. :v:

https://i.imgur.com/1PX4J7r.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahahaa holy poo poo, the payoff on that.

Keep it keep it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

When I added it the message actually worked, but I am not an Apple platform developer so I couldn't figure out why it broke later

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for the love of god please have spoiler tags also break tweet embedding on the app

awright

edit: err some godzilla spoiler i guess?

https://i.imgur.com/GgmqzSD.mp4

commie kong fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 26, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If the first post of the next page is from an ignored user, pulling up at the bottom of the current page doesn't advance it like it normally does.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Will duplicated emoticons ever be fixed? I swear this has been an issue since forever.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
That’s a feature. I would accept a toggle in the settings but the default needs to stay the same :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reg date under the username of the op in some but not all threads in fyad doesn’t display. I don’t go there much but I haven’t noticed it happening anywhere else.

links are :nws: since fyad flags have displayed nasty stuff in the past:

Does not display:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960607&perpage=40&noseen=1

Does display:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896243&perpage=40&noseen=1

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Some forums hide regdates because people would talk poo poo about regdates for a while, and be like "you don't even know who Barnacle Jim is :regd07:"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Some forums hide regdates because people would talk poo poo about regdates for a while, and be like "you don't even know who Barnacle Jim is :regd07:"

Right and in the browser neither of those threads show regdates for anyone posting in the thread, though in both threads the regdates of everyone except the op show up just fine in the app but it treats the op differently in those two threads. I don't see a user option to hide regdates in the control panel. I'm not sure how to search for only threads started by a given poster and it seems localized to a forum I don't spend a lot of time in so not much more info I can provide beyond the examples.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don’t see any regdates in either of the threads you linked.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

b_d posted:

I don’t see any regdates in either of the threads you linked.

wild. here's the first one with no op regdate:

here's the second one with the op regdate showing:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hey could you guys please update your app's post report reason length? On the site, the report page's input box is at 140 characters currently; from a quick glance it looks like your app is truncating reasons down to 60. Anything between 140-960 would be a fine limit.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

astral posted:

Hey could you guys please update your app's post report reason length? On the site, the report page's input box is at 140 characters currently; from a quick glance it looks like your app is truncating reasons down to 60. Anything between 140-960 would be a fine limit.

I need to get back to contributing so I can do this later today if no one gets around to it sooner.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

astral posted:

I'm going to set it to 140 now to match the site, is there any reason for us to set it higher now? What will happen if a longer comment is submitted (I don't want to test it in case it actually generates a report.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The site will eventually be updated to have a proper text box with a longer length available; the backend is already set up to handle longer reports properly. If you go too long (over 1k) it'll give you an error message when you submit though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ah okay, turns out our view's validation code wasn't even firing, probably due to a change in iOS over the years. Nobody should have been able to even submit if it was over 60, but they were, and we were truncating. I got the validation working again, I'll set everything to 960 then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

astral posted:

The site will eventually be updated to have a proper text box with a longer length available; the backend is already set up to handle longer reports properly. If you go too long (over 1k) it'll give you an error message when you submit though.

Good grief if someone submits a report with over 1000 characters you should probably just have it autoban the reporting account.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That explains this, 60 characters exactly :v:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Charles posted:

lol cool find

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Charles posted:

And now we may never know how that report was meant to end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Midjack posted:

Good grief if someone submits a report with over 1000 characters you should probably just have it autoban the reporting account.

It’s just the marine copypatsa like the lord intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Charles posted:

I mean that’s perfect as is, more words would only spoil it