Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought that only applied to text editing.

We definitely have an UndoManager set up for changing a thread's bookmarked status.

code:
@objc private func setThread(_ thread: AwfulThread, isBookmarked: Bool) {
        (undoManager.prepare(withInvocationTarget: self) as AnyObject).setThread(thread, isBookmarked: !isBookmarked)
        undoManager.setActionName("Delete")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

We definitely have an UndoManager set up for changing a thread's bookmarked status.

code:
@objc private func setThread(_ thread: AwfulThread, isBookmarked: Bool) {
        (undoManager.prepare(withInvocationTarget: self) as AnyObject).setThread(thread, isBookmarked: !isBookmarked)
        undoManager.setActionName("Delete")

That's good info. I've definitely hosed up a bookmark or two by accident.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
man that would have been really useful if I had shake to undo enabled and more importantly had known about it approximately a minute ago.

feature request: hall of shame that you can go into to restore threads you unbookmarked because you're an idiot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or like if you unbookmark it accidentally by blindly tapping. It fuckin sucks scrolling through your bookmark list and going "what the gently caress thread do I usually read that I'm not seeing here"

It's a great "lol yay my brain is swiss cheese" exercise, the kind that technology is supposed to make us never have to undergo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

minor bug: sometimes when i go to a thread with a couple new posts, i can’t get the bar at the top (with “previous posts” etc) to appear no matter how i scroll up and down. if i pull all the way up to refresh then it works normally afterwards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is a pretty dumb bug and everyone should be able to replicate it.

If you type a reply then go and pick a smiley from your recent list then go back and type more.

Then try and pick that same smiley again and it picks the one next to it.

I’m going to assume it’s doing this because the app is moving the smiley over one spot because it’s more recently used.

Not a big deal in the slightest but pretty funny either way.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
what's up with filter by tag?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

b_d posted:

minor bug: sometimes when i go to a thread with a couple new posts, i can’t get the bar at the top (with “previous posts” etc) to appear no matter how i scroll up and down. if i pull all the way up to refresh then it works normally afterwards.

I have this issue too but no idea how to replicate it

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

`Nemesis posted:

Do you mean the blue generic ones? All awful.app tags are custom made to correspond with SA tags. Generic ones are used when the app doesn’t have a matching one

b_d posted:

Yeah, I’ve seen this a few times and got it just now. Found that swiping left enough to peek at my bookmarks but not enough to navigate, then releasing the peek sorts it. After doing that, scrolling all the way up the posts view makes it appear. Once it has appeared, it will pop up as expected while scrolling up from any position.

Not a workaround at all. Just providing more info.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does the iOS version of the app use installed content blockers?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does the iOS version of the app use installed content blockers?

Only when you’re viewing external web pages in the in-app web browser. That’s just the way content blockers work on iOS, and as far as I know there’s no way around that.

(This applies only to standard Safari content blockers, not stuff that involves using a VPN)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was asking because youtube in app was showing ads where if I click to the browser, my content blocker typically prevents that.

Similarly, I keep ublock origin enabled for the forums not because there are any ads (thanks jeffrey) but rather because youtube/twitter embeds will show ads without it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

commie kong posted:

Do you mean the blue generic ones? All awful.app tags are custom made to correspond with SA tags. Generic ones are used when the app doesn’t have a matching one

more like how it always looks like there is a semi opaque white filter over the icons

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was asking because youtube in app was showing ads where if I click to the browser, my content blocker typically prevents that.

Youtube changed something with how they serve ads, the blocker i use hasn't caught up yet, might be the same thing for you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Update on my issue with the page zoom on the OG iPhone SE; I just got the 2nd gen SE today and the problem is gone. I guess I was the only one with that issue, so you can probably file it under “least important bugs”.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

Update on my issue with the page zoom on the OG iPhone SE; I just got the 2nd gen SE today and the problem is gone. I guess I was the only one with that issue, so you can probably file it under “least important bugs”.

It's probably to do with the SE's screen size. The 4-inch form factor just isn't in wide use anymore so bugs don't get caught there as often. I try to test on it when I remember but that's not always.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

It's probably to do with the SE's screen size. The 4-inch form factor just isn't in wide use anymore so bugs don't get caught there as often. I try to test on it when I remember but that's not always.

Yeah, I guess it had no way to keep the quoted videos within the screen so the tables had to break. Either way, the old SE fits almost entirely over the screen of the 2nd gen SE so no wonder it works now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

commie kong posted:

Thanks for the pointer towards the right direction. I'll have a crack at it :)

Also, I posted the below re: twitter embeds in the middle of a terrible QCS thread. Might as well share it here. Was your idea custom embed html+css? Cuz I've been thinking the same, but would take some thorough testing for all the different possible media types, I think

A month or so ago, I went down the path of changing the way the app embeds to the iframe way. Then I ended up adding a lazyload polyfill so that the entire view wasn't waiting for all the iframes to load before becoming interactive.

Then I realised that I'd put in a crappy solution for a problem that I myself created and scrapped it. lol.

I think SA users may react poorly to rich link embeds appearing in posts, but if SA wanted to do it then there are services like https://iframely.com/, with a free github version here. Not recommending this specifically, just using it as an example.

It would take us further away from web 1.0, tho. And it would fill pages with even more javascript and iframes, which sucks. Perhaps there's a way to do it without iframes, but it would take some effort without an existing library.

I think my idea was to do native iOS views, lining them up with an otherwise blank element in the webview so that other content flows around it.

b_d posted:

It is a little fucky still, I'll +1 it on the list :)

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is a pretty dumb bug and everyone should be able to replicate it.

If you type a reply then go and pick a smiley from your recent list then go back and type more.

Then try and pick that same smiley again and it picks the one next to it.

I’m going to assume it’s doing this because the app is moving the smiley over one spot because it’s more recently used.

Not a big deal in the slightest but pretty funny either way.

Amazing. I'll +1 it on the list.

`Nemesis posted:

Looks like I flipped a bit somewhere. The generic icons are meant to have the text on them so you at least know what they are.

Stare-Out posted:

Appreciate the update! And don't worry about that bug getting lonely, it has approximately 633 friends.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 30, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Appreciate the update! And don't worry about that bug getting lonely, it has approximately 633 friends.

drat, well now there’s one less to worry about. :haw:

Think you’ll ever add haptics to Awful? It’s not that I particularly want them as such, it’s just strange to not have them in pull to refresh and whatnot since they’re everywhere in iOS.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

drat, well now there’s one less to worry about. :haw:

Think you’ll ever add haptics to Awful? It’s not that I particularly want them as such, it’s just strange to not have them in pull to refresh and whatnot since they’re everywhere in iOS.

I tried once but for some reason they wouldn't trigger. I'll try again soon.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

I tried once but for some reason they wouldn't trigger. I'll try again soon.

hell yeah

if it helps at all, below is where i was playing with it. i had the opposite problem where it fired too much

code:
// PostsPageView.swift (line 120)

didSet {
    Log.d("refresh control transitioned from \(oldValue) to \(refreshControlState)")
    // armed(triggeredFraction: 0.00653594771243019) to armed(triggeredFraction: 0.0032679738561972615)
    guard let newValueAsDouble = parseToDouble(str: "\(refreshControlState)") else { return }

let z = Double(floor(1000 * newValueAsDouble) / 10)
    print("newValue as Double: \(z)")

if (z > 2.0){
    if #available(iOS 10.0, *) {
        let generator = UIImpactFeedbackGenerator(style: .light)
        generator.impactOccurred()
    }
}
I did manage to slow the frequency at some point, but never successfully made it into a single controlled event. The above will just rumble like a game controller

I think the below would be nice:
- 1 light feedback when hitting the bottom of the last post (lets you know you are at the end of the page and to cool it with the scrolling)
- 1 light (or harder?) feedback when the pull to refresh trigger has been finally activated

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

commie kong posted:

I think the below would be nice:
- 1 light feedback when hitting the bottom of the last post (lets you know you are at the end of the page and to cool it with the scrolling)

IMHO this would be annoying as hell

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think the pull for refresh / next page trigger would do the trick in that it’d let you know you’re at the end too. Maybe it would be too late but maybe not.

Also hitting the page left / right buttons should give you little pulses for sure.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Keith Atherton posted:

IMHO this would be annoying as hell

Haha fair enough. I tried it and liked it, but will never insist on something making it into the app proper

E: that’s what debug versions are for :v:

commie kong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 26, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It says that the build is going to run out in 3 hours on TestFlight.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The testflight version is the same as the App Store version (5.6) so just install that over the top.

Just did it myself and no issues

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But my feeling of being a cool insider!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

maybe we should start publishing an Awful Insiders Newsletter

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I've been looking at the app long enough since the last visual refresh to finally commit to making minor icon changes that I think will clean up the look of the UI. I've also got a suggestion I'd love to see implemented in the OLED / Bright themes (the best themes, let's be clear.) -

Changes seen here:

• Refinement of burger icon.
• Conversion to filled in 3-dot icon. I've also changed the colour to be the same tone as the post date.
• Removal of division lines between posts. I am curious if these are necessary. It'd be clean as hell without them.
• Removal of light horizontal lines on navbars at top / bottom of page on OLED dark only - they seem to be gone already on Bright.

Changes not seen here:

• New minimise dropdown icon for forum view - this has looked like poo poo for a long time.

New icon exports are here!

If someone could drop those into the beta I would be a happy dolphin. If someone could deal with the code in OLED / Bright to make those other changes I would be a delighted dolphin.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

No horse in this race, but it looks nicer to me with the faint line between posts; I wouldn't recommend removing them without an option.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was gonna say the same thing. One can go a little too far in removing non-data ink

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I like the lines also for whatever it's worth.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, I don't really see why we need to get rid of the existing division lines. I'd want to see an actual benefit other than "it's more minimal" imo. I can drop the new images in tomorrow.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
+1 on keeping the lines

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

+1 on keeping the lines

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah fair enough. I thought it'd be cleaner but it's impossible to know if you need them for navigation or not without a mockup. If it were up to me I'd remove the Joined date and Post time too but I know that's too much.

Forget about the lines and sorry I brought it up!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This internet hug brought to you by Line Gang

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

Yeah fair enough. I thought it'd be cleaner but it's impossible to know if you need them for navigation or not without a mockup. If it were up to me I'd remove the Joined date and Post time too but I know that's too much.

Forget about the lines and sorry I brought it up!

You’re absolutely fine to bring it up, and I don’t think it’s a bad idea, I’m just not seeing a need to declutter what I think are already pretty clean and easy to scan post pages. If you have examples of where things are getting bad I think that’s help illustrate.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And to be fair it's the type of change that is owed a proper testing and reaction to. It's very easy to look at the image and think "Oh yeah I need that" but if it was removed in a test build and you're using the app for real you might find yourself not missing it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I updated the icons in the repo. I'll wait for the discussion to proceed further before removing any of the separator lines.

The Dave posted:

And to be fair it's the type of change that is owed a proper testing and reaction to. It's very easy to look at the image and think "Oh yeah I need that" but if it was removed in a test build and you're using the app for real you might find yourself not missing it.

Ok, but I need changes to do more for me than just "not be missed." There has to be some benefit to making the change, and I guess I disagree heavily that we need to chop off every element that isn't post text in order to get "clean".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s ok to do more than 100% functional work, I promise.