Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Please disable auto timg or add an option to disable it. It's been brought up before but sometimes the wheel's gotta squeak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crime on a Dime posted:

Please disable auto timg or add an option to disable it. It's been brought up before but sometimes the wheel's gotta squeak

Same. Otherwise great stuff keep it up!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the doubling of emoticons in the visual menu a known bug?

Any way to add a search?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Any way to add a search?

Sometimes they’re duplicated four or five times for me

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Crime on a Dime posted:

I love auto-timg and would hate to see it go

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grassy Knowles posted:

I love auto-timg and would hate to see it go

I think a fine compromise would be a toggle in settings.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wouldn't it make sense to base it off of image size?

I think I just always use timg though. Why would you not?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

101 posted:

no timg allowed in fyad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could make it forum-keyed, like autocapitalize is.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I’m also getting the quadroupling of smilies

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
The smilies are coming from inside the house.

If it helps, the duplicating starts right after :imunfunny: in the list for me:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Is anyone else not able to get smilies to paste into texts/iMessage anymore? It used to paste the smiley in, now it's just a link to some sort of host.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not trying to be rude but depending on how the devs feel I'd be ok if the keyboard went away

It seems like it never really worked right

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Posting new threads with lengthy OPs in the awful app is probably the most frustrating thing about the internet.

You can’t scroll down easily so whatever you’re typing gets hidden behind the keyboard unless you have some magical Midas touch that only works about 10% of the time.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 17, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did that get fixed in the most recent beta? It was fixed for the PM case.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sereri posted:

You should get your coworkers SA accounts, problem solved
I like you guys enough not to subject you to them

carry on then posted:

Turn off handoff from your work laptop to your personal phone. You can disable the check clipboard feature within Awful.app but that will stop checking local phone clipboard too.
My work & personal laptop are one and the same. Is turning off the feature entirely the only fix? I’ve never had this happen before.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Regular Nintendo posted:

Not trying to be rude but depending on how the devs feel I'd be ok if the keyboard went away

I agree. While it's cool that it exists (and that it's system wide) it's too hard to use, IMO. Having it be a keyboard (making it very small and only taking up a portion of bottom of the screen) makes trying to find and favorite the one you want is pretty hard.

I've been working on making a modal for the Windows app that has filters so you can search through them. Having something like that might be better UI.

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010
Not sure if this has been asked but when I try and post screenshots that have been edited, I get the following error message:

Any ideas why? I can post unedited screenshots like the one above.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Has anyone posted about twitter video embeds being hosed up? When I click on one I get a nice little setup with a play button and a time bar and stuff but the video won't actually play and none of the buttons do anything

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

boop the snoot posted:

Pretty nice self-burn :golfclap:

I’m having trouble playing twitter videos or gifs while in the awful app. As in pressing play doesn’t do anything at all and I have to click the date to open the tweet in Twitter in order to watch anything.

virinvictus posted:

I’ve noticed this too. Figured it was just me.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Same for me FYI

Lol sorry should have scanned this page. But same for me FYI. I also occasionally get the weird thing where when I click a twitter link and it opens in the awful browser (where I don't believe I have my twitter login info saved) it won't display the tweet and gives me the "Sorry, you are currently rate limited!" error -- it's inconsistent though and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so it's unfortunately hard to nail down how or why it happens. I will definitely give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume the twitter API sucks rear end

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Here are some updated ones that should work.

In the 2x / 3x folders

We're currently using the 'share' box-with-arrow-coming-out for post options, and it seems weird to hit that icon and have the same icon appear within that next menu. I've switched it back to the previously used chain link, which I've seen used by Apple somewhere before.

Also tweaked some others.

Thanks! These'll be in the next beta.

quote:

Okay, so you'd need 3 new animations then I think - a spinner that occupies the same space / shape as the circular icons, then a 'success' and 'failure' animation that (as seamlessly as possible) carries on from the spinner.

Do you think I should make these at the same dimensions or would it be possible / a good idea to make them at say, double the size so you could make them expand and center on screen once pressed?

Yep sounds like what I'm picturing. I don't plan on expanding and showing in the centre of the screen, so we're ok at the same dimensions. I'm not sure how much I like all the centre-screen loading HUDs and wouldn't mind scaling those back a bit, maybe some toast-style notification banners or something more out of the way.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Awful.app just tried (completely unprompted, on opening) to use Handoff to paste a work email I had drafted and copied on my Mac into a post. Obviously this is really bad.

I think you've got some answers on this. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to check the pasteboard for a copied link without invoking Continuity to sync with your other devices. It's also an occasional source of slowness on launch (since we check for pasteboard contents on launch when that setting is enabled), which sucks. Your best bet is probably to turn off the "Check Clipboard for URL" feature.

Crime on a Dime posted:

I hear ya! Always ok to squeak.

kimbo305 posted:

Any way to add a search?

It is known. Sorry about that. I'll +1 the duplication and the search :)

101 posted:

It currently is based off image size, according to the Forum Rules. (Which might be horribly outdated for all I know.) But a setting is an entirely reasonable request.

Crime on a Dime posted:

no timg allowed in fyad

Subjunctive posted:

Could make it forum-keyed, like autocapitalize is.

I like this, and is good to know even if we also add a setting. Is FYAD the only place where timg is not allowed?

butros posted:

Is anyone else not able to get smilies to paste into texts/iMessage anymore? It used to paste the smiley in, now it's just a link to some sort of host.

Did the "Allow Full Access" switch get turned off? Settings app > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Smilie Keyboard. Try turning that on and see if it helps.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Not rude at all and I hear ya. I do want to spend some time to fix it up, but since I'm spending zero time on it now it's not exactly a major burden to support.

When doing it originally, I thought it was a nice twofer to do the system-wide custom keyboard as well as allowing it to work for input within Awful itself. I wonder if we should do away with the custom keyboard for input within Awful and make a nicer popover-style or modal thinger, which would free up the actual keyboard to type in a search or filter field. If we do it right there's every reason we could reuse most of the custom keyboard stuff in this hypothetical smilie picker, so we get the best of both worlds.

boop the snoot posted:

Posting new threads with lengthy OPs in the awful app is probably the most frustrating thing about the internet.

You can’t scroll down easily so whatever you’re typing gets hidden behind the keyboard unless you have some magical Midas touch that only works about 10% of the time.

This is fixed in the next release :toot:

ricketyvickyt posted:

Not sure if this has been asked but when I try and post screenshots that have been edited, I get the following error message:

Any ideas why? I can post unedited screenshots like the one above.

It's a longstanding bug. I keep putting off looking into image uploading. I can't find any off-the-shelf Imgur uploading code that does what I want and haven't implemented something that actually works. Sorry. I'll +1 it on the list.

goferchan posted:

Lol sorry should have scanned this page. But same for me FYI. I also occasionally get the weird thing where when I click a twitter link and it opens in the awful browser (where I don't believe I have my twitter login info saved) it won't display the tweet and gives me the "Sorry, you are currently rate limited!" error -- it's inconsistent though and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so it's unfortunately hard to nail down how or why it happens. I will definitely give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume the twitter API sucks rear end

Never hurts to get another report of the issue :) The "you are rate limited" one is new to me, but I'll add it to the list, maybe we're doing something silly.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

pokeyman posted:

Did the "Allow Full Access" switch get turned off? Settings app > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Smilie Keyboard. Try turning that on and see if it helps.

That did it. Thanks!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Filter by tag still doesn't work for me

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just got logged out of the app while I wasn’t using it. Did something break?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Whenever I try to refresh my bookmarks it says “too many https redirects”. I can still open threads, but not see how many new posts and all that.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goferchan posted:

1. neo nazis suck rear end at frontend
2. are you using a vpn? I use Nord and get the rate limited issue you described

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pirate Radar posted:

Happened to me the other day in both app and a browser.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah I think this might have been serverside, I had to relog on both app and PC yesterday

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Can confirm, got booted out of two browsers, the android app, and the ios app.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think a fine compromise would be a toggle in settings.

This. I’m tired of having to use the browser every time I want to post a picture

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Last time I asked for a setting for something on something everyone didn't agree on, it was shot down as a terrible idea because it's against the philosophy of intelligent defaults. If it's decided that adding a user setting for auto-timg is acceptable, can we get some sort of user setting for slide-for-next-page slide distance?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the devs want to improve the default on different resolutions. :pray:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I can't play embedded Youtube vids, but maybe that is a known bug.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Works for me on the beta build, running iOS 11.4.1 on a 6S+.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm not on the beta build.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I try to refresh my bookmarks it says “too many https redirects”. I can still open threads, but not see how many new posts and all that.

This is also happening to me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

802.11weed posted:

Hi. great app. request: a way to copy thread titles, for when theres a link or some quote you want to look up. thanks.

I sent a pr for this that got merged in, so you'll probably see this feature someday.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i went to one of my bookmarked threads and couldn't use the parent forum button once there

e: new beta or the app reboot from fixed it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Re titles -- how do your feel about using the title in emails sent about posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How do I/Can I get links to threads to open in the awful app rather than in the browser?