Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

101 posted:

The smilie menu has been kinda broken for me for ages (a tonne of duplicates next to each other) and the ability to search it would save a tonne of time

I would love this to be fixed- I know it’s on the list but please add a +1 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a weird bug but the titles of the threads disappears if I lock my phone with the thread up.

It obviously comes back but it’s gone till I go back to my bookmarks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Dunno if it was the server or the app but I just tried to make a post and it said that the image upload failed.

I was not trying to attach an image, and it was making the post properly each time.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Grace Baiting posted:

Looks like this issue has been resolved while swiping out of a thread or swiping back into it! However it's now even worse when tapping a thread to load it afresh, which (o frabjous day!) I've managed to screenshot:

Good job breaking it.

101 posted:

The smilie menu has been kinda broken for me for ages (a tonne of duplicates next to each other) and the ability to search it would save a tonne of time

Yeah, I keep forgetting to bring this up. The smilie menu is horrific on my iPad. Nearly every smilie is duplicated and they don't seem to be in any kind of order, so finding a specific one takes forever. A search function would be amazing.

Edit: Also, an example "super moderator" is VideoGames. Hopefully that example will help nailing down whatever needs to be done to show stars next to their usernames. Wouldn't want someone to tick one off just because they mistakenly thought a supermod was just a normal poster. ;)

...! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 18, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dunno if it was the server or the app but I just tried to make a post and it said that the image upload failed.

I was not trying to attach an image, and it was making the post properly each time.

It sometimes says that for me if I break the forum limitation of one post or fewer per ten seconds. The failure to post has to do with the forums themselves; the app just gives the wrong error message. I would imagine it might also give an incorrect error if you run afoul of the forums software in other ways as well.

Edit: I see that I misread your post and that your posts are actually being accepted. I still wouldn't be surprised if the issue is with the forums themselves, at least originally. Maybe the app has gotten stuck in a loop with that error message?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It was the servers taking a poo poo last night.

I was on the web version and it was giving me errors when trying to post so I’m guessing the app didn’t know how to process the error correctly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

...! posted:

It sometimes says that for me if I break the forum limitation of one post or fewer per ten seconds. The failure to post has to do with the forums themselves; the app just gives the wrong error message. I would imagine it might also give an incorrect error if you run afoul of the forums software in other ways as well.

Edit: I see that I misread your post and that your posts are actually being accepted. I still wouldn't be surprised if the issue is with the forums themselves, at least originally. Maybe the app has gotten stuck in a loop with that error message?
I was messing with this very floodcheck code last night, so it's not surprising. Sorry for the fuckup. :tinfoil:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

...! posted:

It sometimes says that for me if I break the forum limitation of one post or fewer per ten seconds.

Images of you rapid fire posting, 24/7, so the bomb on the bus doesn't explode.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

...! posted:

Good job breaking it.
:wrong:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Images of you rapid fire posting, 24/7, so the bomb on the bus doesn't explode.
:right:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
In video-heavy threads like the “Canadians, we need to talk” one in GBS, people who post youtube videos with the
code:
[video type="youtube"]Hya4783dh[/video]
code will inline the video like it’s supposed to, but if they post it with
code:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/video=?Hya4783dh[/url]
the entire post is just a giant emptypost. I assume it parses correctly in a browser or there wouldn’t be so many broken posts, but it’s not working for me in the app here.

I’m on an iPhone7 13.3 jailbroken with checkra1n and think it might be a host/adblocker issue, but maybe worth mentioning here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Handen posted:

In video-heavy threads like the “Canadians, we need to talk” one in GBS, people who post youtube videos with the
code:
[video type="youtube"]Hya4783dh[/video]
code will inline the video like it’s supposed to, but if they post it with
code:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/video=?Hya4783dh[/url]
the entire post is just a giant emptypost. I assume it parses correctly in a browser or there wouldn’t be so many broken posts, but it’s not working for me in the app here.

I’m on an iPhone7 13.3 jailbroken with checkra1n and think it might be a host/adblocker issue, but maybe worth mentioning here.

Yeah, it looks like it works for me in the latest beta build on an intact 13.4.1. Could you link a specific post that does this so I can check it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Awful used to open the twitter app if you pressed on an imbedded tweet, and now it just opens them in a Safari window?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Doctor posted:

Awful used to open the twitter app if you pressed on an imbedded tweet, and now it just opens them in a Safari window?

It sometimes does that to me too. It's like it just gets into a "mood" for a while; eventually (after a couple days) it goes back to normal. :iiam:

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Any idea why after a reinstall of the app, I get a generic ‘problem logging in’ error? I have no issue logging in on browsers on ios.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Data Graham posted:

It sometimes does that to me too. It's like it just gets into a "mood" for a while; eventually (after a couple days) it goes back to normal. :iiam:

Awful app doesn't have any say in that, it just asks the system to open a twitter link and iOS decides whether that means the app or the browser. It depends on your recent activity with the app somehow but I'm not sure how to get it to do what you want.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ahh, well that's good to know at least. Means it can probably be trained based on whether I've used the Twitter app versus website most recently or something, so I won't blame it on Awful.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It used to be that whenever you'd jump from one app to another via a URL, you'd see a right arrow in the status bar that you could tap to go to Safari and it would remember that preference, and that if you used that Open in App banner at the top of certain websites, it'd remember that as well, but I haven't seen either of those in a long time.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it looks like it works for me in the latest beta build on an intact 13.4.1. Could you link a specific post that does this so I can check it?
>click<

I can find more examples if you’d like. It’s a little odd, because the /video type=youtube/ code will inline a video with no issue at all (leading me to think it’s not a host blocker issue as I had previously suspected), but posting the youtube link between /url/ boxes loads a big empty post. Video-heavy threads are about half empty for me as a result, depending on how the poster chose to code it.

Edit:

From that same thread

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 20, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that works for me. Does it work if you disable the host blocker? Maybe it’s just fixed in beta.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that works for me. Does it work if you disable the host blocker? Maybe it’s just fixed in beta.

Rebooting out of jailbreak reveals that it’s a jailbreak thing on my end, sorry for wasting your time! Are you aware of any difference between how one embed method vs the other would present itself? I’ll have to open my hosts file and remove a line or two but I’m clueless as to why one embed method makes it through while the other is blocked. :confused:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I made a QCS thread and the app is displaying it weird in my bookmarks- it looks double posted even though it isn’t.

A New MP3 Player
Apr 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I made a QCS thread and the app is displaying it weird in my bookmarks- it looks double posted even though it isn’t.

Probably acting up from that low battery

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, plug in your phone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

withak posted:

Holy poo poo, plug in your phone.

Sup

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I waited until I was at 10 percent to take that screencap because it drives people fuckin’ nuts.

E:Went to remove it from my bookmarks to see if taking it out and re-adding it would fix it to see the glitch spontaneously resolved.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am intensely anxious on your behalf.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m about to go to bed but came down to 2%. I just feel battery immortal when I’m in bed doing a phone nightcap.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I found a bug:

1. Go to a megathread.
2. Click on some reasonably active poster's av and then "Their posts". They must have more than 1 page's worth.
3. In the page selector, jump to last page. It works even if they only have 1 page worth of posts in the thread.

You now get taken to the last page of the thread, not the last page of their posts. The page count shows 0/N where N is the number of pages in the thread. Additionally, you can't click on Their Posts again on this page.

I first saw this in a large thread, but in testing it for this write up I can reproduce it everywhere.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NFX posted:

I think I found a bug:

1. Go to a megathread.
2. Click on some reasonably active poster's av and then "Their posts". They must have more than 1 page's worth.
3. In the page selector, jump to last page. It works even if they only have 1 page worth of posts in the thread.

You now get taken to the last page of the thread, not the last page of their posts. The page count shows 0/N where N is the number of pages in the thread. Additionally, you can't click on Their Posts again on this page.

I first saw this in a large thread, but in testing it for this write up I can reproduce it everywhere.

Thanks for writing this up, it’s been doing this for me for months and I always forget to report it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Thanks for writing this up, it’s been doing this for me for months and I always forget to report it.

Thirded. I'm terrible at describing errors, but this is something I experience as well

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stare-Out posted:

The zoom issue happens in this thread, with a quoted mp4 causing it. There is also a video which starts muted, requiring volume increase/decrease to hear the audio.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897718&perpage=40&pagenumber=357

Thank you!

Subjunctive posted:

Being able to copy to the clipboard would be enough, I think. Maybe even just have the quote go into the clipboard directly and pop a notice to that effect?

Makes sense.

Grace Baiting posted:

Looks like this issue has been resolved while swiping out of a thread or swiping back into it! However it's now even worse when tapping a thread to load it afresh, which (o frabjous day!) I've managed to screenshot:

Dammit. Thanks for the screenshot!

101 posted:

IllegallySober posted:

I would love this to be fixed- I know it’s on the list but please add a +1 :)
Same and agreed! Will +2 both.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a weird bug but the titles of the threads disappears if I lock my phone with the thread up.

It obviously comes back but it’s gone till I go back to my bookmarks.

Ah yeah I've seen this a couple times, kept forgetting to make a note. Thanks!

As guessed, this is the app showing you the wrong error message. I'll +1 it on the list, it's definitely confusing!

Goreld posted:

Any idea why after a reinstall of the app, I get a generic ‘problem logging in’ error? I have no issue logging in on browsers on ios.

No idea, unfortunately. I'll make a note to improve that error message, though it might not help much depending on what's going wrong. I did mess with login a little bit in the latest version of Awful (4.3), so you could try it again, but I don't have high hopes.

I've heard of this happening here and there, sorry about that. Not sure what's up but I'll +1 it on the list!

NFX posted:

I think I found a bug:

1. Go to a megathread.

Thanks for the writeup!

Fun fact (not that it matters, as Awful should just do the right thing): what's happening here is that Awful adds goto=lastpost and the Forums completely ignores the userid parameter on the thread URL.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks you rock!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cool I fixed it on my end - the testing will fall to those with iphones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just tested and it worked fine for me! Thanks, this is a good fix!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cool I fixed it on my end - the testing will fall to those with iphones.

Seems to work for me in the places I spot checked. Thanks!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
A bug fixed without an app update! What amazing times we live in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bug report: in smilie history, the first time I tap the smilie to insert into a post it’s the right one. Subsequent taps insert previous ones in the history, backing up one step every tap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A twofer:

When previewing an edit in YOSPOS, but not when previewing a reply in YOSPOS or an edit in the grey forums, I see a cute little keyboard icon next to my username that doesn’t appear in posts.

If you submit an empty post to preview, you get an error message that looks like it’s from PM handling, and after dismissing it the spinner just spins. Cancelling works, happily.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Apologies if it’s been mentioned (it probably has), I didn’t read back in the thread. But with dark mode on both iOS and the app, I get a split second flash of white when opening the app if it’s starting fresh (ie, I swiped it away in the app switcher or it got flushed naturally). Is there any way to prevent that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If you submit an empty post to preview, you get an error message that looks like it’s from PM handling, and after dismissing it the spinner just spins. Cancelling works, happily.

This is funny because the forums actually do the right thing - if you edit the html to enable the preview button on an empty post and click it, it pops up a box that says "Please complete the message field, shithead." Learned something today.