Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://twitter.com/chrisbhoffman/status/950861459302445056

Testing

E: Yep, empty white boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/890082721543966720

Testing

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Is anyone else getting weird grey patches over the screen? I either get a grey patch where the keyboard should be when I switch apps, or more rarely a full grey screen when I quote someone, don't post and move to the next page. Both need a force quit to fix.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Personally I think think every app should do what Tweetbot does: make it so tapping again returns you back to your previous position.

Oh my loving GOD.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've accidentally scrolled to the top of a 200 post timeline for the final time.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Request: make images in the lepers colon work

:allears:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

All over the screen just while you're reading a thread? Or is it in other parts of Awful too?

It's just in thread view.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Finally remembered to grab a screenshot of the grey box of doom.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh hey, I figured out making a post fixes the problem with the grey bar getting stuck at the bottom of your screen. :justpost:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Shitposting to get rid of the grey bar.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I was getting image upload errors trying to make any posts last night, which I thought might have been because I had included a tweet, but just making a text-only post with no bbcode tags threw the same error. Might be because I'm on 11.4.1 public beta 3, but now it seems to be working? :iiam:

The forums broke last night.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any chance you could make posts from ignored users smaller? I know currently it's displaying a link to show the ignored post but maybe you could word it so it only takes up a line?

Replace it with tiny text that says "you blocked this oval office for a reason".

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The grey bar is back, and bigger than ever.

Swapping to an XS Maxxxxxx on Monday so we'll see if that fixes it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The grey bar is back, this time in the notification areas around the notch on my XS Max.

It pushes all of the content down a tiny bit.

Unrelated, I'm also getting an error when I try to upload the cropped screenshot.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

The grey bar is back, this time in the notification areas around the notch on my XS Max.

It pushes all of the content down a tiny bit.

Unrelated, I'm also getting an error when I try to upload the cropped screenshot.

Testing if an unedited shot works. It gets rid of the navigation bar at the bottom.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I apologize if this is already well known (I've only been following the last few pages), but what's up with Twitter embeds lately?

1) Videos don't play; you can tap to "activate" a video, but then it never starts playing

2) Some tweets have this blue quoted subtweet attached to them, and the formatting is all weird, with blue checks misaligned and the blue text sometimes getting partially cut off (can't find an example of the latter just now):

3) Tweets with images sometimes squash them to the wrong proportions (I think if they're taller than a certain threshold):

Twitter discontinued a bunch of its APIs a few months ago.

Also Pokeyman thanks for picking up on the new grey bar issue. I reinstalled this morning on the off chance that might fix it and it was fine right up until I selected a new app icon, at which point it froze. When I force quit and restarted, the grey bar was there.

I'm on a new install again and it hasn't come back yet.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Twitter discontinued a bunch of its APIs a few months ago.

Also Pokeyman thanks for picking up on the new grey bar issue. I reinstalled this morning on the off chance that might fix it and it was fine right up until I selected a new app icon, at which point it froze. When I force quit and restarted, the grey bar was there.

I'm on a new install again and it hasn't come back yet.

Just an update to help Pokeyman track the issue - the grey bar hasn't come back since I reinstalled without changing the icon.

Come to think of it, the bottom grey bar I was getting in my old 8 was on an app with a changed icon too. The issues might be linked?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is a new one.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

This gif won't play on my xs for some reason. I've noticed this a few times, it only affects a smallish percent of animated gifs it seems. They are paused on the first frame and won't load.

Also in the latest beta I can't hit user names to bring up that menu.

Working fine on my Excess Maxxx. Basic poo poo but have you tried clearing your cache and/or reinstalling?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Plus one on the spoiler text not working anymore. 5s, latest iOS and awful edition.

Same, XS MAXXX on latest iOS.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Feature request, diagonal banner across the top left that says “lol look at this dumb poo poo”

This would rule. Maybe use take thread views over the last hour, then display any thread that’s spiking above some threshold. It’s either a glorious implosion or a good photoshop thread.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

They grey bar is back in the latest update. XS Max, I changed the app icon prior to updating.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

:sigh: good to know. Still haven't looked into it, sorry. Always happy to +1 it on the list though.

No worries mate. I’ve done a clean reinstall and that’s fixed it. I’m fairly sure it’s changing the icon that causes it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

They are, but it’s way more annoying when you can’t read behind them :(

Highlight the text and have Siri read it. gently caress poo poo oval office motherfucker eat the rich Bush did nine eleven.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Random non-iOS question - is there an actively maintained Windows 10 app? There’s an Awful app in the Win10 store but I’m not sure how up to date it is and can’t find a thread.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

pokeyman posted:

What would it do?

Goon roulette - the widget has a 5/6 chance to display the title of a trending thread on the forums, and a 1/6 chance to just display goatse.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1318985048503115776

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just noticing an annoying feature in the latest update: sharing an image from the meme thread now shares a link to the image on imgur now, rather than just sending the funny picture to the recipient.

I know it’s still possible to copy the image and paste it into Messages or wherever, but the share sheet was a lot more convenient for bombarding my family with memes. Is there any way to reverse the change? Or is it some bullshit imgur has pulled?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

commie kong posted:

Can you link to a post with an image that does this?

Also, are you saying that you copy images without entering the image viewer pop up and using the bottom right icon that brings up Copy URL and Copy Image options?

Or are you selecting a different option to send a selected image to another app?

Here’s a post where I replicated the issue:

I open the image with the viewer pop up, use the bottom right icon and usually share with the share sheet straight to Messages or FB Messenger (clicking the app icon or contact shortcut, not going copy image). Before the update, Awful would just output the funny image. Now it posts both the image and a link to it on Imgur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cat Hassler posted:

Long pressing a thread in your bookmarks list will bring up a menu with “Unmark” You can also swipe left and “Delete”

It might be too late to shake to undo this post.