Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Snowy posted:

The last time I mentioned this I should have kept my mouth shut. I said that the links at the bottom of the page should say first page/last page since it went to the top of the last page, not to the last post.

Then it got changed to actually go to the last post, which to me kinda sucks because then I go Last Post >end of last page>immediately scroll back to top of last page.

Maybe other people want to catch up by only reading the very last post of a thread but I pretty much always want a little context so starting at the top of the last page of the thread was way better.

We used to have a setting for "show previous N posts in thread", which I removed ages ago but there's a persistent undercurrent of "can we have that back?". If that setting existed, would that help?

quote:

E- and for a real error, when I posted this minor complaint I got the image upload failed/code 100 error that comes from screenshots most of the time, but there wasn't any way to clear the error message so I had to force quit.

This should've been fixed in 3.28, but I'll take another look and make sure we caught all the alerts.

spanky the dolphin posted:

If we do change it back to First / Last page - which I agree is probably more useful - maybe we should swap out those words for the |<< (Refresh arrows) >>| icons for consistency?

I guess the first/last icons have e.g. "First" as a caption underneath, so it's still kinda consistent. If we have the room for a full text button I usually prefer the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

Is changing the app icon a new thing? It is great! :v:

It is and it is!

carry on then posted:

It's weird, some Alerts don't have any buttons without having one added manually, others have an OK button. I couldn't tell the difference. Possible iOS bug?

I grepped the code for UIAlertController and checked that all of them have at least one action added, so we’ll see.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah am I really dumb or is there no way to view sent PMs?

There is indeed no way in the app to view sent PMs, but I’ll +1 the request!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

From the old thread:

Binary Badger posted:

Is it just me, or do I have to do a wipe and reinstall if I want to see ignored posts? I ignore some folks, but sometimes I want to see what they're shitposting.

The behavior right now is that if I choose to look at the hidden message link it gives me a random message from somewhere else in that thread.

I'm on iOS 11.0.2, but it's been like this since iOS 10 for me..

I'm having trouble reproducing this. Can you link to a particular post that's giving you trouble? (PM me if you'd prefer.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zenostein posted:

This is a pretty minor thing, but is there any chance you can tweak the bookmark colors? Using the white theme, it’s pretty difficult to read the unread post count for anything bookmarked yellow.

I feel like ages ago the unread count was in a circle or something that made it easier to read, but I might be misremembering.

I'm all for mucking with colours. Usually pretty bad at choosing them though, so I'm game to try whatever people come up with.

quote:

Also is adding a space before anything pasted an iOS thing? It breaks img rags if the first character is a space, but if that’s just iOS’s behavior I imagine there’s nothing you can do about that.

It is an iOS thing. I'd love to poke around and see if there's something useful I can do about it.

Maybe the value #00142b would be good for unread. It's a similar brightness but the same level of saturation and same hue as the top two bars.

Before / After

Also, one more colour thing that should be changed is the background black should be changed to proper #000000 black for the OLED iPhone X, it's currently #060606.

I reckon all the yellows in app should be the same as the stars on the forum list - #ffcd00 - which are slightly darker than the current yellow used for the bookmark numbers. If we could change the stickied thread corner triangles to this value too that'd be good for consistency.

I am on board with these.

ulmont posted:

Possibly reported earlier but the "parent forum" button doesn't seem to be working for me. Tested both from bookmark links and from just browsing into a forum.

Awful 3.28, iOS 10.3.3 (not updating until the inevitable battery life patch).

Should be fixed in the next update.

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for all of the excellent work on this app!

I have a small bug that's easily overcome by force quitting the app. Occasionally, and I cannot pinpoint WHEN it happens, I cannot open a handful of bookmarks. It's as if there isn't an area to tap on to select it. I can scroll the list of bookmarks, and random other threads will work, but some just won't. It's inconsistent, different location of bookmark (1st/3rd/etc.) as well as different threads.

Not sure if you were aware of it, so figured to file it away. Not a big one to move to the top of the list though.

iPhone 8, newest iOS.

I think this is one of several manifestations of the same underlying bug. I'll have to take a look at it sooner rather than later, it's getting annoying :)

maskenfreiheit posted:

One small issue though: when I get PMs the little red “1” fails to clear after I read them.

Quitting the app nor restarting the phone seem to help. Eventually seemingly randomly it goes away after a while.

Finally time to fix this I think.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone have issues with the Awful browser sometimes not wanting to load a link? Sometimes I have to long press and open in chrome or safari when awful wont load it.

I do! I do! It's on my list, I'll +1 it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28

I think this is an iOS 11 change? The table scrolls up along with the usual horizontal animation.

got any sevens posted:

Pictures show up as html code in leper's colon

Yeah :( someday I'll get to it.

anthonypants posted:

The link in Settings to this thread goes to the old, broken thread.

Version 3.29 should point here. Did we screw this up?

Do you think as a compromise we could remove the notification badge from the forums icon, and change the star color on the forum menu to that same red?

It's the nagging feeling I get from the notification that I need to do something that irks me. I'd be at peace with them showing up in the forum list if they were more distinguishable from the starred threads I think.

I'll add a setting. There's a boring explanation at the bottom of this post about why I've been a stick in the mud, nobody should feel obligated to read it though :)

And I'm on board with better distinguishing announcements from threads (did I already say this?), current appearance was me being lazy.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

surprised we managed to get the frog icon in

:same: but that version sailed through app review without a peep.

Malcolm XML posted:

New build on app store is mega janky and although feels snappier it also feels like the animations aren't totally there

Any specific complaints? I agree with you but if something bugs you a lot I can look at it first.

Rinkles posted:

Any way to fix tweets not properly loading on a page? It usually works as it should, but on random pages I'll only get the text instead of the embed. Reloading the page usually doesn't help.

Probably not much you or we can do. We just copy/pasted twitter.js and it does what it does. Though we probably haven't updated that .js in awhile so maybe there's a bug they've fixed.

quote:

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

This happened with this very message btw.

[iPhone SE]

First I've heard of it, thanks for bringing it up. I was mucking around a bit in this area of the app but never noticed it. I'll keep an eye out.

Boring announcement badge setting explanation:

Personally I like the badge because there were genuinely relevant announcements that I wish I had seen, but I missed them because I didn't go on the website for days/weeks, and I almost never go to the Forums tab so without the badge I'd still miss them.

Nobody cares, but here's why it took me so long to come around to adding a setting. My primary goal when implementing a feature that the website already does is "do it like the website, but better for a phone/iPad". I try to avoid filtering things out even if I personally find them distasteful, so "Lowtax is making more frequent announcements about less interesting things" is not a great reason to change the app. The biggest compromise here, which continually bugs me, is relegating custom titles to user profiles. We just couldn't figure out how to fit them in on a phone screen without a terrible reading experience. If we could implement custom titles at any level above "terrible", I'd do it today.

What I didn't notice about announcements is that when your main entry point to the website is directly visiting bookmarkthreads.php (this is me) or usercp.php, you never see announcements on the website. So by my logic it's ok for the app to do this too. That's what turned me around.

The principle underlying all of this (I know, nobody cares) stems from years back when Jeff Atwood drove by these parts ostensibly to learn how communities like these forums have lasted for so long. They largely ignored the feedback and did what they wanted to do anyway, but the ensuing discussion showed me that places like this are the sum of many decisions, conscious and unconscious, good and bad, and loving with that can change a community in surprising ways. This is true for everything from how moderators behave, to whether discussions are threaded or flat, even down to how Forums-wide announcements are presented. I want the app to have as little effect on the community as possible (the sole exception being "people get more involved more often because there's a decent app"). I was mortified all summer when people on the iOS 11 beta quoted posts and the smart quotes garbled the BBcode, because you could tell that the poster was using Awful.app and that's exactly what I don't want.

I'm not trying to argue that this way of thinking is particularly correct, but it's how I approach the project.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

Hey this got me thinking and I threw some mockups together:

I like. Does Awful.apk do something like this?

Adding to that a bit, here's a mock up of how I could see it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSc06_5mZY

I've thought for a while that it'd be good for the background to blur / fade / both when a button's triggered and the icons come up since sometimes I hit a button and don't realised they've popped up.

Also maybe the 'Joined 08/10/2004' bit under the usernames could be switched to how it displays in the desktop forums - 'Oct 08, 2004' and given a bit more spacing below the username. It's a bit more compact that way and cleaner.

Hadn't thought about a blur or more of a modal there but I like the idea. The upside to having it inline is that's all in the web view, which is nice since the custom titles are HTML. I'm not sure we can pull it out into a separate web view that's presented modally in a timely fashion.

Soricidus posted:

Maybe 3D Touch on a profile picture could open a profile preview, like threads in the thread lists?

I'm all for more 3D Touching. Always a fun lil surprise when that actually works in an app!

quote:

Also I’m getting a thing where pictures sometimes disappear when their top goes off the screen, even if the rest should be visible. Over-aggressive optimisation?

I'm getting the same. It's not something we changed in Awful, or at least nothing we intentionally changed. Might be a UIWebView thing.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Please add an option to turn off auto timg

Will +1 this request.

carry on then posted:

ughghghg what is going on with these stupid OK buttons I thought I fixed this.

I probably broke it again trying to make it all convenient.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm also having this issue with the newest version. To elaborate further, what happens now is that hitting "preview" puts you on the preview screen, but the button in the top-right says "preview" and hitting it slides the screen to the right but gives you the exact same screen (that is, it says "preview" and acts like a preview button). Hitting cancel on the preview screen and then the post icon again (ie, from the thread view) loads the preview screen back up (not the compose post screen, but I'm not sure which of the two screens (compose post and preview) is the intended behavior is for canceling out of the preview screen then hitting the post icon again), but now the top-right button is "post" and submits the post.

The same behavior happens on editing. Hit edit, type your edit, hit preview (go to a preview screen that will take you to an endless series of preview screens), cancel out, hit post again, hit save.

iPhone 6.

Thanks, this is v helpful!

Djarum posted:

So with the new update it has logged me out and I can not log back in at all. SE on 10.1.1

We had some back-and-forth already in PMs, not sure what's going on here. One last thing to check: can you log in via Safari on the same device in the same network conditions? (I'm guessing yes.)

jivjov posted:

That's fine for quoting...but I'm talking about an error with editing. I went in to edit a post, changed my mind, backed out, and made a new post instead. The new post overwrote the post I had jumped in to edit and no new post was actually made in the thread.

If you left the contents of the edit in place when you pressed "Cancel", it'll maintain the edit. We now prepend "Re:" or "Edit:" to the navbar to help a bit while we figure out what to actually do here. I realize it's not an ideal setup.

Mad Wack posted:

im having trouble on blackberry torch

but you repeat yourself

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I've found that the app goes to landscape really easily and then gets stuck in that mode, rather than switching back when i turn my phone back to portrait.

What phone do you have? Mostly curious about plus vs. not-plus.

Caithness posted:

One of my starred forums disappeared, and now whenever I try to press the down arrow to display sub forums to put it back Awful crashes.

5S

Might have to delete and reinstall, sorry. There's a longstanding bug (or two?) where this happens and you're kinda SOL. I'll make a note.

Caithness posted:

Also also sometimes my forums list won’t display anything above or below the ones it was on when I opened it, and clicking the ones it does display becomes very finicky. This can be fixed by quitting and restarting the app.

Does this seem related to the above issue with the disappearing favourite and then crashes? Or were you seeing these display issues before the crashing?

Rinkles posted:

Was going to post about this soon. Like described above, most threads will simply turn blank, the remaining thread/s stay in the order they were in, as in they don't jump up to the top of the list. (E: this is in bookmark view)

[snip to later]

E: one more thing, sometimes I can't select a thread from my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but the app doesn't seem to respond to pressing. More specifically it doesn't respond to pressing to open a thread. The bottom buttons (lepers, settings etc.) respond fine.

[iPhone SE]

I think these two are related and I'll add them to the todo list, thanks and apologies.

quote:

Separate issue: sometimes I feel thread selection is too sensitive. I accidentally deleted a thread today. I'm not sure if being able to delete a thread so easily just by pulling is by design. (Still not sure what I deleted).

TraderStav posted:

I also deleted a bookmarked thread and it happened so fast I had no idea which one. The tolerance between grabbing a thread for deletion and swiping back to view a thread is too narrow.

Perhaps a pop up box asking if you want to remove the bookmark would solve? I imagine that is a pretty rare action as to not being overbearing.

I think this is the new(ly available to apps not called Mail) iOS 11 feature, probably enabled by default when maybe it shouldn't be. I'll make a note. I know we've pondered a confirmation message before, and I've also thought about moving it to the long-press action sheet and doing away with swiping entirely. Fun fact: you can shake to undo deleting a thread from your bookmarks. (Fun fact fun fact: this feature has been broken in the past when I suggested using it, resulting in a crash, and I felt real dumb!)

kloa posted:

If there’s a request for “ability to hide threads” I’d like to throw in my +1 for that :angel:

Ooh, an oldie but a goodie! Done.

IllegallySober posted:

Not entirely sure what's going on with my PM Inbox. Swipe-to-delete doesn't work anymore, and it took a while to realize there was now an edit button at the top, but when I found that I could select the message to delete with the minus symbol, but tapping on delete made the delete button disappear but not the message.

iPhone 6 Plus, latest store-release version

Also not sure but it's bugging me too. I'll take a look.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for working so hard on this app, fellow goons! It has been my most used app for years.

Apologies if this has already been said, but I’ve been having an issue with posting replies. Whenever I press “preview” after writing a reply the post button doesn’t appear, and instead I just get the preview button indefinitely. If I want to post I have to hit cancel and then come back into the post every time.

Editing also doesn’t work for me, but unlike the previous solution I haven’t been able to discover a work around.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! I've got a couple reports of this now, still not sure what's going on but it's on my list.

Zigmidge posted:

Thank you very much for the work you put into this but please give me an option to get rid of badges for Lowtax's stupid threads.

Coming next version!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Is there a way to view my sent messages on iOS?

Nope, but I'll +1 the request!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think there is a bug that I actually like: when I try to click the link to view the post of someone I have on ignore, I get a different random post from earlier in the thread. So I still don’t see the post of the person I have on ignore, saving me from my own curiosity.

Someone else had this happen to them, but when I tried to track it down I was having a hard time reproducing. Can you link me a post that you were having trouble with (maybe via PM)?

zenintrude posted:

Keep getting this error when trying to post pics using iPhone X: https://imgur.com/a/OoEMu

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah this is the same one I've been getting on my 7+ since I switched photo format to High Efficiency. I think Imgur doesn't take HEIC photos.

Now I'm suspicious of that HEIC. Endless Mike when you mentioned it October 31 I chalked it up to Imgur API limits and end of the month but now I'm not so sure.

withak posted:

Probably related to the notch.

Don't knock the notch or I'll clean your, uh, swatch.

macserv posted:

Just wanted to say kudos to the developers for iPhone X readiness. App looks fantastic on the new phone.

I think that's just the free love you get by using some APIs vaguely correctly. If you see some areas that need tweaking feel free to holler! (I'm guessing landscape is a shitshow.)

Endless Mike posted:

Cool off Apple to help you make your app ready for my new phone

App Review specifically has been incredibly helpful in keeping this app in the store. Getting goatsed was a highlight!

anthonypants posted:

I mentioned the diagonal slide on my 6s a while ago and was told it's normal.

I'm pretty sure. Absolutely possible we're doing something wrong.

mrfart posted:

same problem/phone.

But when quoting somebody; after cancelling and then posting the quote gets posted double as you can see above.
I added this edit on my PC, because editing won't work on the app, because you get stuck in the preview loop.

Hope this helps.

Every bit helps, thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I think the tweet issue comes from there being a deleted tweet on that page. If it can’t render them all properly, it’ll just render the text.

Yep. Though I wonder if it was a bug in twitter.js and if we updated that it'd get fixed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I’m sure there is, when you share the image using the system share sheet it’ll dump out jpegs or whatever. Just gotta see what we’re doing wrong.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zesty posted:

Sometimes when scrolling through threads, the screen shoots back up to the top of the page. Is there anything on my end or your end that can be done about this?

Are these threads you've read before? Sometimes if you've already read the page then we have it in cache, but we'll reload the page anyway in case there are any edits or new posts, and maybe that reload is doing something?

quote:

Just discovered these. They’re great! I didn’t realize apps could let their users change the icon on the fly. Does Apple limit to how many you can make available?

I'm sure there's a theoretical limit, and there might be a limit as part of some policy. Either way I don't think we're close to it, so if there's more submissions I'm happy to add them.

El Burbo posted:

I don’t think I’m supposed to see these

This is a time-honoured Forums bug. We pull the list of forums from the lil dropdown menu at the bottom of some forum pages, and that dropdown menu seems to get very confused. You might be able to pull down on the forums list to refresh the list.

Jeoh posted:

Trying to read an ignored poster's posts (why would I even do that) instead loads the post before the first displayed post.

Sorry about that, we're working on it.

dragon enthusiast posted:

whenever lowtax posts a new announcement, all of the announcements become unread

I think I did a bad job trying to figure out when an announcement has changed. Though at this point I could just set a 24 hour timer to mark all announcements unread :effort:

mrfart posted:

I thought the screen going back to the top was due to tweets loading?

Oh maybe. Though I can't say I've seen this myself, it's entirely possible.

quote:

Another feature I would like to see, but it's not really important, is the option to choose firefox as standard browser.

This shouldn't be too hard, I'll toss it on the list.

iajanus posted:

Still getting the Ok/Ok imgur bug when trying to post images from my 7 running 11.1 and 3.29 of the app.

I think I fixed this in Awful 3.30, can you try there?

baram. posted:

if you hit the share button on an embedded youtube video and long press to copy the url you get two different context menus that pop up one over the other.

Forgot about this one. I'll +1 the issue.

Craptacular! posted:

I hesitate to ask, but I don’t follow this thread and will just post: Is the announcement badge button just there to troll me?

Nope, I hosed up somehow. It's meant to be operational. Though it is kinda funny.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I hesitate to ask, but I don’t follow this thread and will just post: Is the announcement badge button just there to troll me?

Update: this'll be fixed in the next version. In the meantime you can work around it:

1. Turn off the "Automatic Dark Mode" setting.
2. Set "Unread announcement badge" as you please.
3. Re-enable "Automatic Dark Mode".

If any iOS devs are following along and have a "cell reuse!!!" mental alarm bell going off, you win a cookie.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zesty posted:

Yes, they are threads I’ve read before.

Alright. I wouldn't hold out hope for a big fix. The scroll position stuff is a pile of hacks with hacks sticking out the side and hack scaffolding surrounding the pile topped by a cantilevered hack bridge. It might get better someday, something else might get worse as a result, kinda tough to say. Sorry.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It occurs to me we should probably take a look at our dark theme(s) and tweak them for iPhone X's OLED screen. Or maybe we make a dedicated iPhone X theme. Somehow I doubt iPhone X will be Apple's last OLED phone so it'll come in handy down the road.

Emron posted:

Is there a way to get gifv posts to embed in app?

Nope, but I can add it to the list. If you have VLC installed then you'll get the option to open the gifv in VLC.

Mr. Apollo posted:

On my 5S (iOS 11.1.1) I’ve had this issue for the last few Awful updates.

I don’t have this issue on my 6S, it only happens on the 5S.

Weird, sorry about that. Next time it happens, can you do a quick check for me? If you go into Safari and log in to the Forums, then head to any forum, at the bottom of the page is a dropdown menu. Can you open that menu and see if it looks approximately as messed up as Awful does?

Over There posted:

Having two issues so sorry if this has already been addressed.

The first one is that when I click a quoted post to go back to said post and it's on a different page, it won't go to the post and just goes to the top of the page. Is there a fix for this?

Also I didn't really know how to explain this one so I just took a video. I have to restart the app when this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmicz_WtuFs

First one, there's not really a fix for it. Sometimes jumping to the thing works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really hacky.

Second one looks similar to an ongoing issue we've never tracked down where the web view just decided to stop rendering chunks of its content. I don't have an answer for you, but I'll make a note that someone else is affected and hopefully we figure something out. I'm always happy to get more voices behind an issue, means a greater chance of solving it!

maskenfreiheit posted:

I keep getting an error code 100 when trying to upload an image from my phone ☹️

Sorry about that, I'll add it to the list.

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe an iPhone issue but every now and then the screen doesn’t work. I can scroll I just can’t click anything. Doesn’t happen with any other apps.

Most recent version of awful and iOS 11.1.1.

Any screen in particular? Bookmarks? Posts?

iajanus posted:

God drat it the app is now giving -1 return errors from imgur again

Sorry dog :glomp:

Encrypted posted:

Nice thread. Was about to post in QCS to ask for something.

First thanks for the hard work :) really appreciate the free and light app to browse the forum with a customizable font size etc.

Can you make the top and bottom bar disappear when you scroll down and only app again when you scroll back up or something? Basically an option to prevent screen burn in on the X without the constant bar and and white text on the top.

Another possible way of doing this is when you scroll down, the top bar change into the same color as the page eg. turns black if the overall page has black background and leaving the clock and signal white.

When you scroll back up, the page top will become a different color than the page itself and the text will also be inverted against whatever it was before.

As mentioned, you're in the right thread; QCS does not gaf about apps :) And on behalf of everyone involved, you're very welcome for the app.

I'll +1 the collapsing/hiding bars when scrolling thing. We've kicked the idea around for awhile, though I admit it's faded in importance to me as phones get taller. But you've pointed out another reason it can be valuable.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Kind of a weird bug report:

This only happens in split view on iPad:

1. Quote a post
2. Tap Preview in the nav bar

Expected: preview of post with a Post button on the nav bar
Actual: there is a Preview button in the nav bar where Post should be, allowing an endless stack of preview VCs

Oddly if I get rid of the other split view app and make Awful fullscreen it fixes itself.

iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 11.1.1

I've seen a couple reports of an infinite preview button loop but never with the tidbit about split view. That'll probably help narrow down wtf is going on, thanks!

Edgy Bees posted:

Big Report: The iPhone 7+ has trouble expanding thread groups sometimes. If I try expanding “games” for example to see the sub-forums it doesn’t always register and sometimes causes the app to crash.

Edit: iOS 11.1.2

boop the snoot posted:

Update on this: I have found it occurs pretty reliably when I swipe left to remove threads from my bookmarks.

lifg posted:

Been happening to me too. On iPhone 6 SE.

Sorry y'all. I'll hopefully take a look soon.

echronorian posted:

I'm having a technical issue on iPad. Loading the next page in a thread takes a solid minute. Any ideas?

Edit: it's much more significant in mega threads

No ideas at the moment. I see the same thing occasionally (not a full minute but an obviously delayed load), always chalked it up to imperfect net connection or forums server taking a breather. Seems like I should actually try to poke around and not just assume it's someone else's problem ;)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress me, I shipped the wrong build as 3.31. Expect a fix to the "Post Not Found" error real quick I guess.

I made a post a while back with some suggestions for color values with that and last read in mind that'd be good to test.

A seperate idea for the UI I thought could look good is a slight rounding of the corners of each post, it'd fit a bit more into the look of ios11 (in a good way!) and help to seperate posts at a glance as you scroll.

Oh yeah, I remember that, and there's even an open issue for it. My bad :)

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like the idea of gifv in VLC and maybe themes for the X and the Pro screens?

Good ideas!

Mad Wack posted:

can we get the iphone plus landscape view for the iphone x?

I'll make a note of it because it is a big screen, and I wanna do some related work in the same area of the app so it might even happen sooner rather than later, but for now the reason it doesn't work is

Zero One posted:

I'm not an iOS developer but I was reading about this on Ars yesterday.

Basically Apple doesn't consider the X big enough to support the Plus (and iPad) extended landscape layouts.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

This is happening on iOS 10.3.2 on iPad as well. Can't expand or collapse subforum lists. Landscape mode and portrait with the slide out both seem to be affected and it always crashes the app.

Sorry about that. I really need to dig in to this and the thread list thing and make things work. I've been putting it off and, shockingly, it's not getting any better on its own.

obstipator posted:

I’m unable to upload images for the telephone.

I get protocol error:

e: lol nvm. that pic uploaded fine

e2: i cant upload small pics 🤔🤔🤔

Sorry about that, I'll toss it on the pile of image upload errors I need to fix!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can't filter by thread tag. I can click the thing at the top of the open forum but it doesn't show me tags to choose anymore.

That's been going around a bit. It's on my list to dig in, I'll +1 it.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Forgive me for butchering what I’m about to describe, but it may be a related issue:

Someone quoted someone from a different thread and I clicked the name to, hopefully, go to the in that other thread. It gave me the same error the leper’s colony is showing.

It seems to work fine if the quote is leading farther up in the same thread though.

All that said, I love and appreciate this app. Thanks!

Explanation clear as day and it'll be fixed in the next version!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Um. See the Trump thread.

Ahahaha welp. I'll make a note!

Keith Atherton posted:

I don't know if this is related to the Lepers Colony links not going back to the original post but something similar appears to be broken

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1

Tapping on the links in the OP that go to posts later in this thread return a "Post Not Found" error. It works properly in the browser version

Weird. I'll take a look!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Copy URL then paste adds a space at the start that isn't in the clipboard to be pasted.

There's a bit of that going around. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

dont be mean to me posted:

I don't know if it's 11.2 or the app but sometimes when I come back from sleep a gray box covers the part of the screen where the keyboard shows up. It's about the same gray as dark-theme iOS keyboard character keys.

I know it's not the keyboard because I can still touch the bottom bar and it very briefly goes to whichever section I touched before being covered entirely in gray (with the status bar still overlaid at the top). Force close fixes it but urgh.

E: Sorry, only about half keyboard height, but this time it even happened after switching back to it from another app.

That is super weird. I wonder if it's related to the weird grey bars that appear sometimes at the top of the thread lists on iPad. They look superficially similar.

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve been stuck with the infinite preview loop for a few months.

Sorry about this. It's on my radar to fix, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Happy to have another report though, it all helps.

Antilles posted:

So, is there a trick to getting Awful to cooperate with Chrome/Youtube? Both apps are installed, the settings are set to open links in those apps, but both when pressing links and long-pressing links and selecting "Open in (relevant app)" it just goes straight to Safari for both. Am I a big dum-dum for missing an option or toggle somewhere?

No trick, you're not missing anything. Probably a bug. I'll make an note; in the meantime, it's possible that deleting Awful and reinstalling it might do something? But that's not much of a fix.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Lol so they trained ios devs to think in size classes for 3 years and then just got rid of them for the iphone x?

Size classes have always been useless garbage and I tell anyone who will listen at every opportunity. Huge waste of time. I mean if they solve a problem for you then have at 'er but I always seem to need to toggle a few constraints on/off at breakpoints besides size classes and then the end is nigh.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I just had a weird bug that may not be Awful’s fault, but came up while trying to make a post from Awful.

I tried to reply to a thread, hit reply, and the app crashed. When I reopened it, my bookmarks page shows the thread with one unread post, killed by me, but when I click on it I get a blank where the post should be, just black, no posts at all. I can scroll to the top and get the parent forum / previous posts / scroll to end buttons. When I hit previous posts, all the posts before the one I tried to make appear, but without an “end of thread” note. When I drag up from the bottom to load more posts, then the end of thread note appears. If I go back to my bookmarks, it still shows my waiting unread post. Loading the thread in Firefox shows the post is not there, but my usercp.php DOES show the waiting unread post just like in Awful.

Either the forums are loving something up or something about Awful making the post hosed the forums up, who knows, I’m not a computers mechanic

The crash is definitely Awful's fault. The ghost post I'm less sure. Not long ago a bunch of threads got hosed and you'd see that kind of ghost post a lot, it'd only be freed after some more posts appeared in the thread. But I think most of those threads (including this one's predecessor) closed and started anew to work around the problem. It's possible that Awful sent a hosed up request that got half accepted by the Forums or something, but I'm not looking forward to reproducing that issue. Anyway, I'll make a note for sure.

Kerbtree posted:

11.2 on a 7. Whenever I expand something in the main forum list e.g. SHSC -> yospos, the app crashes. Happens consistently even after restarting the phone.

ed: logout / login seems to have fixed it.

Fixing this is my current lil project, hope I get it done someday!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If I haven't quoted you directly here, don't worry, I've made a note of everything mentioned up to this post.

Zesty posted:

Is there a way to get twitter links to open in the Tweetbot app rather than the official Twitter app?

Nope, but I can look in to it!

Serifina posted:

Bug (iPhone 6s, ios 11.0.3, current test flight version): deleting a thread in my bookmarks causes me to be unable to open aby thread in my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but tapping anything results in no reaction at all.

This high up on my list to fix, sorry about that. As a lovely workaround, force-quitting Awful and relaunching it should get it working again.

Zesty posted:

A couple secret forums visible

Awful's just scraping the lil dropdown menu on the Forums. The upside is this includes all subsubforums and so on down the hierarchy; the downside is sometimes it glitches out and shows you forums you shouldn't be seeing.

carry on then posted:

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

I used to see this maybe once a week, now I haven't seen it in months.

boop the snoot posted:

Links to threads/posts in the forums open in a browser and only after a long press. Any way we can get them to open in the app?

Most current app and iOS version.

This is a bug that I haven't gotten a chance to look into. It hits me now and then and is very annoying!

anthonypants posted:

I don't know if this is a thing you can troubleshoot but I use Swype as my keyboard, and every so often while I'm in Awful, the keyboard will jump to the number/special character keyboard and stop responding. This didn't happen on my 6s, so maybe there's some iPhone X bug in Swype or Awful that needs to be addressed? It's happened on iOS 11.2 and 11.2.1.

I'm as baffled as you, but it's probably something we can take a look at sometime. I'll make a note.

iajanus posted:

Still can't upload images (getting -1 response from imgur regularly). Latest version and ios. anything I can provide to help with this issue? Tried deleting the app and clearing the cache to no avail.

Thanks for the offer to help! I just haven't looked into it yet. Sorry it's so annoying, it is on my list.

The Wikipedia app just got an update with a Black theme for OLED displays that looks pretty good, maybe we could rip that off for our iPhone X theme?

The main difference between that and ours is making the background of the post body black rather than the spaces between posts. They also made their page header a dark grey which looks great too IMO.

I'm on board. I also kinda wanna do the light switch gesture (to turn dark mode on/off) now that I'm aware of its existence in an app I use (Overcast, who I believe took it from one of the Twitter apps).

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been getting this a few times the past couple of days.

A few bookmarks will load, but not all of them, and if I open one of them, it’s not the thread it’s supposed to be (ie not the one I pressed on)

I've got it on my list! Sorry for the trouble, hopefully I'll look into it soon.

buglord posted:

Is there any temporary workaround for the infinity preview loop? I know how to post, but is there an action I can take to hopefully avoid it?

Its been affecting me for months too :smith:

e: iPhone 7+, latest iOS & Awful version.

You know, I suspect there is a workaround somewhere, because I've only managed to get into a preview loop once and couldn't reproduce it. Unfortunately I don't know what it is. Sorry!

kimbo305 posted:

iPhone X, 11.2.1, Awful 3.32
The quick menu in the upper right doesn't summon when I swipe it. It still works everywhere else.

Do you mean the iOS thing, Control Center? Or is this a quick menu in Awful itself?

Regular Nintendo posted:

Feature request (that I could prolly do this week with permission from pokeyman and ux guidance): remove this option and just have two iconed barbuttons there for preview and post instead of either/or

I feel like we've had some discussions in the past ("we" as in one of these threads) about this. I'd like to have a better understanding of what people are bumping up against before changing things up. The current setup allows for "I always want to preview" and "I never want to preview", so I guess people want to preview sometimes and not others? Is it a per-forum thing (SH/SC preview please, but YOSPOS is :justpost:)? Does it depend on the thread? I'd love to hear from anyone who's annoyed (a little or a lot) by the current button and setting.

Billzasilver posted:

First impressions: the favorites and recents for emotes is an absolute treasure, it’s even better than what I thought I wanted. But not having a search function, database/word bank for basic wraparound thingies is a hassle. I’m left fumbling in the dark as to whether I remember how to strike through or do small text.

Keep up the good work, the app looks pretty!

Agreed it's almost impossible to find the smilie you want. I do want to add some long-press to smilies in posts so you can see what the code is and also add it to your favourites directly from there. But the keyboard would still benefit greatly from a search or filter or something.

And thanks!

quote:

Edit: naturally I’m comparing every little detail to how the android awfulapp works, sorry if you’re sick of that

Nope! Always happy for the feedback.

kloa posted:

Autocomplete for smilies would be :coal: (maybe even with a preview below where you’re typing??)

Agreed. I know that apps can kind of gently caress with the iOS autocomplete thing but I haven't really gotten into it yet so I'm not sure how much we're able to do.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Is it possible to add access to the "Users browsing" that's normally at the top of a forum?

I'll add it to the list! It looks like it'd be straightforward to scrape. But it'll take some thought about where to expose it in the UI. Maybe we sneak it into the navbar below the name of the forum?

Sereri posted:

My question would be why do care about this in the first place

I think anything on the Forums website is in scope for this app. There are many features I don't use but am happy to (at least nominally) maintain and entertain.

That said, if we can't figure out how to do it well then I'd rather just not do it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If you're looking into opening Twitter links in alternate apps, please add Twitteriffic. I have no idea if it's more or less work since I have no idea how these things work.

I'll add it to the list!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Can you make a point system/hall of fame for emptyquotes so I can stop updating this 300gb xlsx?

I've thought about doing some funny detecting of things like emptyquotes or name changes. Couldn't really come up with a useful feature though.

I don't know what this light switch gesture is but it sounds cool.

Here's a mock up I made for an OLED theme in thread view:

It's mostly all 000000 black. The dividing lines are 1a1a1a gray, and I gave them rounded edges so they'd melt into the OLED more. Text color values are all the same as before in this image but I think the link blue color should be brightened to 0066ff.

The background for the Parent Forum | Previous Posts | End of Page buttons could be 1a1a1a also.

I like this! No promises about when I'll get to it…

smackfu posted:

Two finger swipe up or down. TweetBot even has a light switch sound effect which is quite satisfying.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-toggle-night-mode-on-tweetbot-4/

Yeah this. Got used to it in a hurry once I had an app that did it.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also I’ve been having issues where the subscribed threads are wonky - it hangs down a bit and clicking on a thread brings me to the topic below

Yeah :( sorry about that. Kinda surprised a quit/relaunch doesn't work. Until I finally fix this stuff, you could always resort to a delete/reinstall. I realize how dumb that is.

OldAlias posted:

hello, there is an issue uploading iPhone screenshots that have been cropped using the new function to imgur via Awful, and results in Protocol error: code 100. it works if I upload to imgur directly, and if I were to redownload from this link, it posts from Awful fine. if the issue has been noted already, apologies

No apologies necessary. I suspect it's one of the known issues with Imgur uploads. I'll add it to the list!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Suddenly trying to filter by thread tag in gbs glitches (no tags show up)

Not sure what's going on here but I've seen it too. On the list!

kimbo305 posted:

Was there a change at some point for the pull-up distance needed to browse to the next page? I feel like I never triggered that accidentally but now I do it all the time. Maybe it's just a function of where I start the drag on the iPhone X vs the 6.

Oh yeah I bet that's broken on the X. I'll make a note to fix it up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

If you're adding Twitter alternate apps, please add Echofon as well.

I can try!

Crime on a Dime posted:

~ why do some bookmark threads have a red color link to unread posts and others are orange? I assume it's supposed to be threads you are quoted in or something but it doesn't work. One thread unread count is always red and no other.

On the website you can change a bookmark's color. Awful will show the color but currently has no way to change it. Any chance that's what you're seeing?

SLOSifl posted:

There are a few additional symptoms for this one.

• The status bar text goes from white to black with an upward wipe, as if something slides up over it.
  • Something slides off the screen downward. not sure on this one now
  • The navigation bar eventually appears floating over the thread list, but with no visible controls on it.

Also you can get out of the preview loop by canceling and hitting the post button. It will be sitting there ready to post. Not sure fit his helps track it down. It happens 100% of the time for me.

Edit: Screenshots, “good” status bar state, bad state (links don’t work) plus lost navigation panel.

https://imgur.com/a/PPjvc

That is fascinating, I've never seen that before. I have vague thoughts about what might be happening but I'm largely lost at the moment. Thanks for the writeup and screenshots!

Billzasilver posted:

While we’re at it, you’d probably want to make liking tweets possible in the forums without needing to open twitter itself first. Idk how but the android version works that way.

How does it work on the Android version? I don't really add a whole "sign in to Twitter" thing to Awful, but if there's something in between that and kicking out to Twitter.app I'm game to try it.

Nitr0 posted:

Can’t go to current page of this bookmark. Just displays this error.

Cleared cached and logged out no difference.

Can get to previous page

As mentioned, looks like this is the ol' ghost post issue. Forums fuckery unfortunately, not even sure we can detect that and give it a better error message.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Got "scraping failed, error 0" when using the quote function

Gotta work on the ol' error reporting :effort:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

I see it pretty often myself on my iPhone 7, (usually latest) master branch. Near as I can tell, _something_ is causing SFSafariViewController to get presented UNDER most of the view hierarchy. In my playing around, if I get the SFSafariViewController to actually present on top like it should, it's completely blank, having only a blank UINavigationBar at the top.

I see the logic here. The status bar changing suggests some other view controller is being held responsible for managing it, could well be a Safari View Controller. I'll keep pondering.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Feature / option request: please allow disable of auto TIMG

Someday!

The_Doctor posted:

I’m getting double bookmarks!

Hoping this is fixed in the next version. By chance did you try tapping each of them? I bet at least one of them didn't end up loading the represented thread.

yaffle posted:

I've had problems before (I couldn't log in). Then I went to Hong Kong and everything was fine. Now I'm back in china, and although I seem to be logged in I can't refresh the forums or see the content of any forum (just a blank page). On a desktop everything is fine, but ever since the DNS attacks a few months ago if you log in from china (even through a VPN) you have to complete a captcha. I think the problems I'm having have to do with the app not being able to use/see/load/display the captcha, if you see what I mean. Is there any way around this or hope for a fix?

I suspect you're right about there being some step you need to complete and the app isn't detecting that and letting you do it. I have some hope for a fix but it's not a very high one; I think it might be hard for me to reliably reproduce. It's definitely on the list though.

Diabolik900 posted:

I had no idea. I really wish the App Store/Testflight handled situations like this where a build never goes through beta releases more smoothly.

I skip TestFlight when it's a quick fix like that, but I don't need to do that. It's partly out of laziness and partly because I don't just want TestFlight to be "I get new Awful versions 12 hours sooner than everyone else". I'll try to still push betas even for small things though.

Billzasilver posted:

Edit: something I just ran into. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus. Is there an option to make Instagram links open in the instagram app? It always opens in the awful app browser, and closest I could find was to share on Facebook or open in chrome.

I'll add it to the list!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I love this app and use it exclusively to browse the forums. I only open Safari to access mod powers.

Is there any chance that the app could ever integrate the mod stuff like editing threads, moving threads, and the punishment/reward menu? I’m guessing not but it can’t hurt to ask. :)

It's on the list, I'll +1 it there. I think we have what we need to at least attempt a working implementation, and I'm guessing there's a couple willing testers around here since it's come up a couple times.

carry on then posted:

A little ways off. Since it involves a full app theme and not just posts, I have to crowbar it in with the existing infra I built that assumes only two themes. Plus my laptop no longer supports my monitors so I get to do all Awful coding on a tiny laptop screen.

Redoing themes is something I'd love to do someday, the current setup is a mess :( I scribbled down some notes with some thoughts I've had over the years that I've been avoiding messing with themes.

sebmojo posted:

There's some enthusiasm from mods; pm factsareuseless to talk about the details and whether the admins can make it happen.

Done! I think we have enough to get started. No idea on timeline though.

Real hurthling! posted:

Any chance the awful browser could block redirect ads?

It'll use any ad blockers you have installed system-wide, nothing more, nothing less.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any chance we can get a toggle to change direction. (Or outright disable) deleting bookmarked threads? The difference between “swipe from right edge to left to go back to last viewed thread” and “swipe right to left to delete bookmark” is not a whole lot and I’ve probably deleted a dozen bookmarked threads only to remember what they were weeks after the fact when browsing for something else.

Should be fixed in the next release. As an aside, and it's probably too late: you can shake to undo the deletion!

Grace Baiting posted:

Complementary feature request: add a Forward arrow at the top right of the bookmarks tab that returns you to the current thread, as another mechanism for performing the action currently only available with a swipe-right-edge gesture. This would better mirror the current return-to-thread-listing action which is activated by both a swipe-left-edge gesture and that top left Back arrow in the thread view.

This is a good idea, it's nice to have the feature but it'd be nice to make it discoverable and more usable.

Mr. Nice! posted:

When i try to delete old PMs in the app it’s not working. I hit edit, then the minus next to the pm, and the delete button slides out on the right. When i tap that it just slides shut and the PM doesn’t get deleted.

Oops. I see this is on the list, so now it's even more on the list!

Billzasilver posted:

If you hit edit on a post, and then back out and try to quote or post instead, the app still tries to edit and the top right corner says “save”

Yup. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus, using the bug to not quote your post right now.

This is definitely a bug in that it's confusing, but it's intentional to let you build up an edit/post by going back and forth between the thread and the post. A lot of people find it confusing though, so I know we need to figure something out.

Nude posted:

Sometimes the app crashes when I try to quote someone but for the life of me I can't figure out how to reproduce it. Guess I'm just reporting it as it's been happening more frequently, I'll let you know if I figure out how to reproduce it.

It seems to sometimes happen if I type something, go back a page and quote someone. (On iPhone 8 latest version)

I'll check the crash logs. Definitely holler if you narrow it down.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Actually both go to the right thread! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well poo poo, now I don’t know what he problem is.

Probably fixable by reinstalling the app. Sorry for such a lovely workaround.

Billzasilver posted:

Oh I gotcha. Most forums have some kind of multi-quote button, don’t they?

Maybe? Haven’t toured other forums apps but if you’ve seen something sensible hit me with a link or screenshot!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like I dropped a release on y'all then avoided this thread for the entirety of February! I'm a shoo-in for Maintainer of the Year.

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone noticed that when a pane slides in from the right, the animation is such that it can pause on the last pixel momentarily? Like you can see a line of whatever is being covered over for a noticeably long time on the left edge?

iPhone X, latest version.

This is when you e.g. tap a forum in the list and we push the list of threads on to the screen?

Boris Galerkin posted:

So there's been some discussion in the iPhone thread about uploading pictures to Imgur through the app. I think it's an understood thing that trying to do so fails about 99% of the time, most people seem to think for API rate limit reasons, but I swear to god that there is a way to upload pictures to Imgur with 100% success rate in my experience.

This way fails most of the time:
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap From Library
  • Choose picture

I have never seen this method fail:
  • Copy picture you want to upload (as in tap on the image, or share button, and hit copy)
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap Paste

I tried looking into the code to see where these events were called/handled but I don't know enough about iOS programming to know what the hell I'm looking for. I grepped for 'imgur' but don't really know enough Swift to understand what I was looking at. I just want to know if these two methods are actually calling different methods or using different inputs somehow, or if I am just super lucky.

This is a handy writeup, thanks! There are a few items of fuckery going on around image uploads, I need to dive into that someday.

Keith Atherton posted:

After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

It is definitely not great. For reference the dismiss gesture is meant to be a swipe down. But it triggers when zoomed in, which is not great, and it's probably too quick to trigger in general. I will add it to the list.

carry on then posted:

Also, can we do something about :

Swift code:
override var refreshControl: UIRefreshControl? {
        // These were here to help migrate away from UIRefreshControl. Might as well leave them in to make sure we don't accidentally try something.
        get { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
        set { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
    }
It breaks capturing the UI hierarchy.

We sure can!

IllegallySober posted:

With the most recently-released version, it appears that thread titles in the bookmarks list being grayed out if the thread is closed is not working.

Any chance of that returning?

Yep, that's unintentional. I basically redid thread lists and messed up one or two things.

Stare-Out posted:

Bookmarks flash white in dark mode when you open them, is this an intended thing? Nothing against it, just checking that it's working as it should be.

Unintentional. It's kinda annoying, but juuuust barely not annoying enough for me to fix it right this second. I'll put it on the list.

carry on then posted:

My guess is it's an overeager gesture recognizer that sees any pan down as the downward swipe that means close the view. We can probably adjust that to be more discriminating, or at least only work when the image is zoomed out.

My vote it to scrap our custom image viewer thinger altogether and find some library that does that bit better than we ever will.

Shnakepup posted:

Two things: first, I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to fix embedded tweets not showing correctly. Second...i think in the course of trying to do this, I found a bug? I dunno.

Awesome writeup, thanks! I can maybe solve some of the mystery on the first thing, and the second thing is definitely a bug.

It seems like if there's a tweet anywhere on the page that fails to load (sometimes means it was deleted, other times something just seems to Go Wrong) then all the subsequent tweets on that page (or maybe all the tweets before and after? not sure) will also fail to load.

Navigating back/forward to reload the page does reload the page, loading immediately from cache then re-fetching the page (in case any posts were edited or new posts appeared). Because of how embedded tweets work, they'll reload even when we're loading the page from cache. However, because of the way they're breaking, it won't fix the problem you're seeing because the broken/deleted tweet is probably still broken/deleted.

Mandrel posted:

Does the emoji keyboard not work anymore with iPhone? Seems like I can’t get it to paste into the chat anymore

Should still work, though it's probably pretty fucky because I haven't shown it any love in years/several major iOS releases and custom keyboards are always fucky anyway. Did you turn on "Allow Full Access" in Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Smilie Keyboard?

Zero One posted:

Odd bug that just started. I'm running the most recent 11.3 public beta. The app doesn't seem to save the most recent view when the phone goes to sleep. I can be in one thread and if the phone sleeps and I wake it the app will show a thread from several minutes ago before refreshing to where I was after a few seconds.

This doesn't seem to happen if I exit the app to the home screen. Only sleep.

I wonder if Awful is crashing when the phone sleeps, breaking state preservation. Thanks for the heads up! Might not look into it until 11.3 ships for real, I've been burned before fixing beta bugs that didn't turn into gold master bugs.

mrfishstick posted:

Had this bug for at least a few releases so I thought I would toss in a report:

Embedded twitter links appear to only be loading every other page within a thread. Meaning, they will load fine one page and after advancing to the next page, the twitter links will not parse and instead just be generic url links to tweets but load just fine again after the page is changed.

I think this is the same issue mentioned above: there's a tweet on that page that's broken/deleted and it breaks all the tweets on that page.

kloa posted:

Just wanted to throw out an idea to make the Awful app even more betterer.

If I’m reading through a giant thread that’s somewhat old and difficult to find, it’d be nice if you could pin it similar to pinning sub forums. That way it stays above your regular list of bookmarks, but is easier to get back to.

Thanks for all the work on making this app cool and good :angel:

Good idea! I'll add it to the list. And thanks for the thanks.

Edward Mass posted:

I’m not allowed to use contractions in thread titles. Please help,

It's for the best.

Nah it's an Awful bug, I'll add it to the list!

IllegallySober posted:

The buy-sell-trade tags in SA-Mart no longer appear on the icons on the latest released version.

I was sure I checked that because I know I've screwed it up before. Welp.

smackfu posted:

My announcements are all confused. The goon meet one talks about the Olympics forum and vice versa.

Yeah. Announcements are fun. I think I can fix it but I'm not sure.

shortspecialbus posted:

Am I missing it or is there not an option to show previous posts by default? Every time I open one of my bookmarks I generally want to look at the last few posts to get my bearings. It's easy enough to bop the button every time but if I could set this as a default it would be great. I dug through and didn't see such an option, but I might have missed it.

98% of the time I'm on an android device (or normal browser) so it's possible there's some apple-ism here that I'm not aware of since I don't use this ipad all that often.

You are not missing it. I took it out ages ago and ever since people want it back, but I haven't put it back yet :/ it is on the list!

Love it!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also TBH I'd prefer no end of page scroll equals load next page behavior. I'm scrolling down to last post on not-current page and then poo poo I'm on the next page.

Fake edit: You own for doing this and thank you for doing so. I don't know poo poo about whatever language Apple has turned MAH BEAUTIFUL C into but I can help with random git bullshit etc.

If I'm hearing you right the issue is that the "pull for next page" triggers when you're just scrolling, and you'd be ok with the feature if it wasn't on such a hair trigger?

And thanks!

the littlest prince posted:

this one has been around a while so it's probably known but if you open a thread that's unread, finish reading it (say it's just a few posts) and then go back, it will jump like 80% of the way down the page. it's kind of annoying if I don't want to read that thread any more because I'll have to go track it down to mark it as unread.

anyway thanks for your time spent doing the good work.

When you say "go back" here, do you mean go back into the thread you just finished reading? And it jumps 80% of the way down instead of jumping 100% of the way down?

Grassy Knowles posted:

I thought it might be useful for you; the issue where posts don't appear properly after using the app for a while until you force quit has changed in the newest beta--now the images for post actions are also only partially loading, where they used to load regardless of the incomplete posts.

Just gets better and better!

Nude posted:

I figured out the crash! It's when I send multiple requests to quote someone on spotty WiFi. What I do (and this only applies to when it is slow) is a hit quote multiple times (pretty quickly). And it will consistently crash.

Now that I know the case though it's not a big deal for me.
https://i.imgur.com/oajBx67.mp4

:toot: great catch! Fun fact: it was easy to find the original issue in the issue tracker because it's the only search result for "nude".

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So here's a thing I just found out: Mobile youtube links in the format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s&t=306s

will properly retain the time when youtube inevitably kicks you to the mobile site, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEkftO2J1s#t=306s

which works on desktop, doesn't work for mobile. The only reason I found this out is because the former worked for the first time ever from the awful app and I was all like :aaaaa: because literally every youtube link I've seen on SA is in the latter format. I know it's extremely bespoke, but I doubt youtube would ever fix it-- is there any way to either "Set the awful in-app browser to request the desktop site" or, barring that, "fix youtube timestamps" as a toggle?

I had no idea. We can probably rewrite the links to use the former format.

Fedule posted:

I don't have a lot of data to prove this, but I suspect Awful is incorrectly rounding down instead of up when assigning rating graphics to threads that are exactly on the threshold. (Eg it will give 4 to a thread on 4.5, or 3 on 3.5, etc etc.)

If you spot this happening for a particular thread hit me up and I'll try to check it out. Awful currently rounds the usual way, where 4.5 -> 5, but there's lots of room for some fuckery up to that point.

Seekhay posted:

I’ve been running into an annoying issue lately, where pages won’t partially render properly. Like this:

Sometimes it’s only a single post that’s half blank and others are fine, other times it’s several.

If I force close the client, it goes away for a little while, but returns a few hours later. It doesn’t seem to matter what forum/thread I view either.

Currently running 11.2.6 on and 8+.

This is on the list™ and the only possible fix I can think of is kinda painful, basically involves redoing the posts view. Good news is that work has started (the announcements view is the prototype for the "new" posts view (the scare quotes are because it won't appear new at all but will hopefully fix issues like this one)). Bad news is I have no timeline.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the littlest prince posted:

No, go back to the thread list for whatever subforum it's in. It doesn't jump all the way down for sure. I just tried it in a couple subforums and it only seems easy to replicate in sa-mart or coupons/deals.

Got it! Thanks.

Realised I didn't mention it at the time - the :doggo: image above is a link to the folder containing the graphics for the app.

Didn't notice until I quoted your post, but yep it's in there.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are there plans to make emoji keyboard to work like discord suggestions?

I am keeping track of suggestions for making the keyboard more usable. No plan for that specifically but I'll add it and take a look if/when I put some time into the keyboard.

quote:

am i holding it wrong or sharing through copy an imgur timg doesn’t actually copy the direct image link?

Not sure I understand.

shortspecialbus posted:

About the scrolling and accidentally loading the next page thing, what the Android app does is allow you to set the percentage of the screen you need to scroll. I bumped it up a bit slightly from the default and no longer get accidental new pages in that one. The ios app seems to be around 10-15 percent maybe, or at least whatever it is for me is rather low so I accidentally go to the next page a lot. Maybe make that configurable perhaps?

(I'm not trying to just say to make the whole thing like the android app or say that one is better, BTW. Please don't take it that way.)

I'm confident we can make it work well on all devices without a user setting.

(Didn't take it that way at all! Appreciate you making it clear though, thanks.)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Something i’ve noticed is once a thread is stickied it seems to stay inside the sticky thread rotation forever. For example, TFF has only two stickied threads. However on my app it has the chat thread, three previous stickied threads (nick foles > brady, the eagles won thread, and the XFL thread), then the rule thread. If any thread falls off page one it drops out of the sticky section, but any posts will put these threads right back up with the stickied threads even though they are no longer sticky.

I hope all of that makes sense. It’s been a long weekend.

Edit: here’s a screenshot.

Makes sense. I remember looking into this awhile back but I don't remember what I learned. I'll +1 it on the list.

shortspecialbus posted:

Why on earth is user customization (hide it under an 'Advanced' thing if you want) a terrible idea? Not everyone has the same preferences.

User customization in general is great, but some things can feasibly Just Work and I believe this is one of those things.

shortspecialbus posted:

Well, I like it, I just don't like it triggering with such a small pull is all. Or at least not when I start my scroll when I'm not at the bottom of the page - maybe have it not do the pull for next page if you weren't already at the bottom of the page when you do your scroll? That might solve the problem itself, if it would be feasible.

I think this is exactly it. If you do a giant flick at the top of the page, there's a near-zero chance you wanted to jump to the next page. But if you're near the bottom of the page and you yank it up past the bottom, odds go up considerably.

Billzasilver posted:

It’s pretty good for me. maybe if it was a user set it 5% higher. More interestingly, you go read a page with just 1 new post and 39 previous posts not showing, it’s almost impossible to pull up to the next page. You need to pull up by over half the screen length.

This kind of inconsistency is another problem. If you always have to pull the same distance, it's possible over time to learn to subconsciously pull the right distance for what you're trying to do. When it's inconsistent, it feels like it never works.

RCarr posted:

Every time I open the Awful App it crashes immediately. I believe this is since the latest iOS update. What should I do!?

The long term answer is wait for me to fix the problem. In the short term, it's possible that deleting and reinstalling the app might fix it for now. (Sorry, I know that's annoying and not a real answer.)

Bob NewSCART posted:

Just curious if it’s a known issue/anyone else having this issue of not being able to post images from my camera library

Yeah :(

Endless Mike posted:

Get Workflow and set up a widget to upload your last photo to Imgur and copy the link and boom easy posting

I am so tempted to make this the official solution and rip out image uploading entirely.

Not saying I'm gonna but so tempting.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I long-pressed an image, that was originally in [timg] tags, to view it. From that screen, I then shared it, where I selected "copy" - assuming that it'd put the image link into the clipboard. That didn't seem to happen, though admittedly this is my first iOS device ever so I may have hosed up something else along the way.

I get it now. That "Copy" action will copy the image data itself, not the URL. There's a separate "Copy URL" action that should suit your needs. (It has no icon, but it should still work.)

Stare-Out posted:

I've been having problems with the thread list, particularly when scrolling to a next "page". Once I get to the end of the list, Awful loads for a moment, flashes black and throws the threads onto the screen but in a weird order or more often than not, doesn't update the list and throws me back up to the top of the list. Why not have the thread list work like pages in a thread do where the cutoff is clearer and easier to navigate?

I suspect what's going on here, or at least part of the problem, is threads moving between pages (because new posts). I don't have a great answer for this, but it's worth pondering on it until we come up with something.

It is kinda funny that the posts screen, where an "infinite scroll" would work ok because posts don't change their sort position within a thread, keeps the pagination clear.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be possible to add a feature to (locally) block mods from showing up in the app? The website won’t let me do that.

As in, add a mod to your ignore list? It's technically possible but I prefer to follow the website's lead on things like this. I won't implement it myself and I wouldn't accept a code contribution that implemented it.

kimbo305 posted:

I saw it going from bookmarked threads to posts in thread. But I haven't seen it come up in a while.

Ah ok, I think I know what you mean. Will add it to the list!

svenkatesh posted:

Are there any known issues that would cause a crash on iPhone SE still on iOS 10.x?

I wasn't doing anything funky (not quoting, not posting, not commenting at all), I was just browsing and the app crashed. Happened twice to me before I gave up.

I've got a few crashes logged that match that description and could plausibly line up with what you're seeing. No obvious cause jumps out at me though, so I can't recommend any particular workarounds, other than the usual vague "try uninstalling and reinstalling the app". Nothing in the crash logs I can see lend any support to it being fixed by reinstalling though. Sorry.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Is anyone else getting weird grey patches over the screen? I either get a grey patch where the keyboard should be when I switch apps, or more rarely a full grey screen when I quote someone, don't post and move to the next page. Both need a force quit to fix.

All over the screen just while you're reading a thread? Or is it in other parts of Awful too?

IllegallySober posted:

Hoping to +1 two items on the fixlog:

- Buy/sell/trade tags in SA-Mart being re-added (it's really hard to browse without it)

- Graying out thread titles for closed threads

Thank you!

Gonna take a swing this weekend. Thanks for the patience and gentle prodding.

Casual Encountess posted:

on an iPhone 7 latest OS if you go to somebody's in thread post history, go to the page wheel and hit "last post" it just takes you to their last post in the thread instead of last post of just their posts

Welp. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

When browsing on iPad with a keyboard I hit the space bar to jump down the thread a bit. Quite often this stops working - it can be if I look at an image full screen, or click a link then return.

I've noticed that I can (sort of inconsistently) get the space bar working again by pressing various buttons in the thread (thread settings, share button, (...) button. If I mash these buttons on and off enough eventually the keyboard has an effect again.

It feels similar to if a window on a desktop loses focus or something. Would be great if this didn't happen but realise it's a bit of an edge case.

This one sounds like fun! Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

kimbo305 posted:

I sometimes hold the iPhone X in two fingers, middle finger up top and thumb at the bottom. Frequently, my finger strays from the notch over to the right, onto the right "cat ear" corner. The top edge of that, when tapped, still scroll the page up to the top. Is it allowed by Apple for you app to differentiate the X and have a different behavior? Aka only scroll to top of page when tapped at the line along the bottom of the notch?

Not sure about that kind of differentiation but I'm interested in looking at either a "tap again to jump back down to where you were" or a setting to turn it off entirely (if it's that bad; if it's sometimes useful sometimes an accident then a setting probably won't help much).

Crime on a Dime posted:

Request: make images in the lepers colon work

I'll +1 that, oldie but a goodie right there.

Pissflaps posted:

Feature request: add an additional confirmation before removing bookmarks with the swipe action. Maybe it’s just me but I often swipe accidentally then get paranoid that I’ve pressed delete on a thread I’ll never remember I wanted to follow.

Shake to undo!

…is a basically undiscoverable feature that can be turned off so I can't rely on it working.

You're saying you swipe to bring up the Delete button, then tap Delete, then have regrets? Because there were a few months there where you could delete bookmarks with just a swipe, and that was bad and gross but fixed a couple versions ago.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gotta run but I'll get to everyone else later, so if you don't see a reply here don't fret!

Coq au Nandos posted:

It's just in thread view.

Cool, thanks. I'll +1 the issue, it's a known and common one so maybe I'll actually finish it someday!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Thanks devs for implementing past requests from me such as displaying the flags in fyad etc. Would it be possible to add a way to select pages of a sub forum, the way you can with pages of a thread? also are the archives available through the app?

You're welcome! I'll add that to the list, definitely trying to figure out a better way to handle pages of threads.

The man called M posted:

Is there something wrong with the App? I was met with the Login Page (No, I didn't delete and reupload the App) and couldn't log in when i put my username and password (I even tried sending a "Forgotten Password" request and entered that, but still, nothing.

IOS
Iphone 7

EDIT: Welp, either I’m a dumbass, or you guys fixed it (if it was me, the I accidentally had typed a capital when there shouldn’t be one :downs:)

Wasn't us, but glad you're up and running!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Since the last update I can no longer upload images at all and get the message "The operation could not be completed. Protocol error (code 100)". I'm on the latest iOS on an iPhone 8+. Is this a known problem or is it the forums going through something?

As mentioned it's Awful doing something wrong, possibly combined with exhausting Imgur API limits. I'll +1 it on the list. Someday!

kimbo305 posted:

I disabled pull to go next page, but that also takes out pull up to refresh for new posts?

Yeah :( seemed right since (afaik) the main reason people turn it off is accidentally triggering it.

kimbo305 posted:

I guess it could see if the last post shown is 40 or not. And if it's not 40, allow a refresh pull to complete the page, and then lock you out.

The real fix is to make it hard to accidentally trigger the thing. I'd rather put the work into that than more settings.

Pendent posted:

Does anyone else have an issue where the awful app will stop responding to touch at random? I think it mostly shows up in my bookmarks and I have to re-launch the app in order to keep using it. I’m on an iPhone X with the newest IOS if it’s helpful

jivjov posted:

I, too, get this occasionally on my iPhone 7+

Seekhay posted:

I also experience this. Pretty annoying little bug.

E: 8+ with all the updates, but it’s been going on for as long as I can remember.

Does the tab bar or anything else in the app still work in this case? Or is it completely unresponsive?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Having an issue sometimes where I can't post at all through the app. I can hit reply in a thread and write out what I want to say, but as soon as I go to the preview and hit post the app just keeps looping back to the preview and nothing gets posted.

I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 11.3 (GM not beta).

MrYenko posted:

I’m having a new bug that started today. When I quote someone, write a reply, and hit the preview button, the app formats the preview properly but the post button is still a preview button, and just shows the preview no matter how many times I mash it. If I cancel and go back to the thread, then hit the new post button, everything is still saved and I can hit the post button normally, and it works fine.

Sorry about that, definitely affects a bunch of people. I'll +2 it on the list.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Finally remembered to grab a screenshot of the grey box of doom.

Yep that's the one. I'll +1 it on the list. Someday!

Over There posted:

Not sure if this has been brought up but the voting system is a little messed up. It's always one below what the actual score is.

I'm assuming while the website rounds it up by .5s, if the score is a 4.99 and below it's going to show a score of 4 on the app.

I was in there recently and thought I was tidying up, looks like I did a wrong. I'll take a look, thanks!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Request: add link to "posts from user" or whatever its called from profile like the website

A good idea, will +1 it on the list!

jivjov posted:

I can tab between forums view and bookmarks, I can even scroll up and down on the lists; but can't actually tap into a thread

Thanks! That helps :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

all aboard the post omnibus

Seekhay posted:

I think what I’m seeing is slightly different. Links stop working, sometimes if I do a “select all” and then deselect it, the links will be clickable again, otherwise furiously mashing the link leads to it trying to select the link as text, like so:

That does sound a bit different. I'll add it to the list!

The man called M posted:

Been noticing that the “filter by tag” option isn’t working. When I try to use it, only the “none” icon shows up.
iOS
iPhone 7s
In case it’s just me.

Honj Steak posted:

Nope, doesn’t work for me, too. iPhone SE

Crime on a Dime posted:

It's not just you. Devs! This one is crucial when search is broken. Please make the tags filterable again.

Definitely not just y'all. I'll +3 it on the list! I can say it does sometimes work. I don't know what's going on (because I haven't looked at it yet), and Works On My Machine isn't a real answer, but it's not 100% broken.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sometimes the app crashes. Being useful goon such as I am, I can't offer you rock solid reproduction other than it happening after I click on a post to go to it when I'm already "a few posts deep in" and then there's a partially shown post, a screen worth of blank space below it, and it resumes afterwards with whatever is the other post there then. Then something happens and the app crashes. iPhone ecks, last iOS version.

Still useful info, thanks!

Crime on a Dime posted:

It crashes a lot more than ever it seems. iOS 11.3 iPhone 7+ but the devs turned off crash reports if I recall correctly?

I was futzing with the build script and I did manage to ship the current store version without Crashlytics turned on, but that was unintentional. I still get crash logs from Apple, and Crashlytics will be back on next version.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm cool with that -- like maybe 25% of screen height, instead of what it is now?

I think a combination of getting the right distance (25% seems like a good start) and making sure you're actually at the bottom will get the job done.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Request: ability to view Sent Items in PM's not just the inbox. ❤️

Ahh, an oldie but a goodie!

kloa posted:

Any chance we can hide the announcements? It’s taking up my precious screen real estate 😥

I'm afraid you're stuck with them.

Chamuska posted:

First post using the awful app ! Thanks for the thread :nsa:

*EDIT* Noob Question, is there a way I can set notifications if someone were to PM me and/or quote me on a thread ?

Welcome! There's no way at the moment to get notifications like that. The PM one is probably doable and is a good idea, I'll add it to my list. The "when quoted" one is probably not doable so I'll put it in the XenForo 2.0 list.

shortspecialbus posted:

Anytime I'm in an image heavy thread such as the comic strip megathread, all the images vanish for a bit every time I scroll up. This does not happen scrolling down.

I see this too! It's very strange. Time to add it to the list.

obstipator posted:

hello thread,

I would like to see all the epic images in the leper’s colon.

thank you to the devs for making awful things!!!!! ❤️

xoxo,
Bill Gates (from Microsoft computer 🖨)

:same: will +1 on the list!

shortspecialbus posted:

Is RAM on an iOS device that much at a premium that they need to be dumped the instant you're past them and not when you move to the next page or something? Or is this some built-in apple garbage collection? I'm normally an android person for mobile devices and aside from this minimally used iPad Pro (and an iPad 3 before it,) my last iOS device was the iphone 3G so I may just be out of the loop on this stuff. Please don't take it as criticism of the OS or starting some stupid yospos battle, it's not my intent.

Nah you're good, I'm taking it as a perfectly valid criticism of the app! If it helps, it's not something Awful is doing (afaik), it's just part of the old-rear end web view we're using to render posts. I have vague hopes that some of this stuff gets better when we finally move over to the new-rear end web view to render posts, but we won't know until we try. On the plus side, new-rear end web view gained the last remaining feature we were waiting for in iOS 11, so we can actually move over now without losing functionality/committing to ridiculous workarounds.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Oh hey, I figured out making a post fixes the problem with the grey bar getting stuck at the bottom of your screen. :justpost:

Well I guess it's only fair to open this thread up to anyone trying to work around the bottom grey bar problem.

kimbo305 posted:

The posted too soon (within 10s) error dialog seems to say something about an image upload.

E: https://imgur.com/a/krBui

It sure does! I'll put that on the list, thanks!

tyler d00rden posted:

Is there a way to stop the automatic timg?

Not at the moment but it is on the list! I'll +1 it.

scary ghost dog posted:

would also like to know this

+2 it

Crime on a Dime posted:

I've requested it, I'm told it's on the list

+3 it

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a setting somewhere to have the sidebar on the right hand side of the screen when in landscape mode - it’s handy for left handlers!

Not at the moment but it's theoretically doable without much pain. I'll take a look.

Hey I'm procrastinating again which means I've given the app icons and main :v: throbber an overhaul. Little tweaks where I can to simplify them and clean them up.

If someone could try popping them in an upcoming beta for a test spin that would be rad.

Sure! No guarantee on when but I'll try to fire it up here soon.

Skeezy posted:

Is there anyway to get in on the beta for this still?

Yep! Just PM me an email address. Doesn't have to be an Apple ID.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I can’t apply the main theme to sub forums anymore, all the subforums show their respective themes no matter what’s set in the theme settings.. is this a bug in the app or do I need to reset something on my end

That's a new one to me but I'll make a note of it. It's working for me right this second, so it's possible a delete/reinstall will unwedge something, but that's definitely a bug.

Pirate Radar posted:

Anyone else have the thing where you can’t scroll while writing a PM? I can force the screen to “scroll” by hitting return a bunch of times, but otherwise I can’t scroll up and down and if I write enough (or if I’m quoting someone) the text just goes under the keyboard and I can’t see what I wrote anymore.

You're not the only one, though it's been a little while since the last time someone mentioned it. Probably some combination of people writing short PMs or just living with it until I get around to fixing it :(

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I’ve seen a bug that, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why this matters, but here goes:

Photos that I have had airdropped to me are unable to be uploaded. If I screenshot-copy the same image, it can be uploaded, but the original cannot.

I even attempted to edit the photo before uploading (so it shows a preview instead of an empty box), but alas, no joy.

See bummer, pictured:

poo poo's been broken for awhile:

Josh Lyman posted:

How are we doing with uploading images on iOS 11+? It didn’t work at first due to HEIC form my understanding, but then it kinda did a couple month ago, and now it’s broken again. Which is weird because I can upload via the imgur app fine.
There's definitely Problems with Imgur uploading and I've been planning out how I want to hopefully fix it. Nothing to report yet but don't give up hope.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Touché!

I like the new :v: throbber in the dark theme, but I like the outline one better in light theme. I’m pondering keeping both. What do you think?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe try switching the new one to grey? It's heavier now so maybe it needs to be lightened up.

Might give that a go.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Bug discovered !

Make a new thread
Type some text
Preview
Go back

The text is shifting down each time you do that, and with a small iPhone (se) it’s now covered by the keyboard

This sounds like fun! I'll add it to the list.

Grace Baiting posted:

I got the blank posts box bug again just now but with an exciting(?) new twist!

The new twist being that the bottom ~half of the "Share URL" button on that one post was also blanked out!

E: iPhone 8+, iOS 11.3.1, latest App store version of Awful App (v3.35)

Woah. Still not sure what to do about this issue but collecting more variations can't hurt!

Lazyhound posted:

I haven’t been able to replicate it, but Awful kept stripping the apostrophes from a post I was trying to make.

I get this too like once a week. If you ever track down how to reproduce it, definitely let me know. It's baffling.

That Robot posted:

Why does Awful keep having the new message icon for PMs when I already read the message and restarted the app multiple times? This is iOS on the newest version, running on an iPhone X.

Good question! That used to happen a lot but we fixed it a few versions ago, or at least I thought we did. I'll add it to my list.

Pirate Radar posted:

The other day I noticed that the smilies seem more organized than they used to, like, similar ones (variations on a theme, say) are grouped together now when they weren’t before, but I know the app hasn’t updated in the last few days so I might just be dumb and just noticing it now but anyway I was going to come here and post about it but then I forgot. Then today I opened the smilie list and a lot of them were duplicated, which made scrolling take longer, but also made me remember to come here and post about smilies. The duplication appears when I select the list with the :-) face but not when I use the globe icon to select the smilie keyboard.

The duplication issue crops up a bunch, but I hadn't considered the wrinkle of :-) vs. globe. That could be a really good clue. Thanks!

Skeezy posted:

Is there any update on the posts sometimes messing up and having to cancel a post and then go back and post thing being fixed?

Can you be more specific? We have many ways of breaking posting :D

scary ghost dog posted:

i hate this bug

:same:

GutBomb posted:

I’m using the latest beta and when I select “open in YouTube” for a video it always opens mobile YouTube in safari instead. Is there any way to make it open in the real YouTube app?

Others have suggested my first thought: tap the "Open in YouTube" that appears in the status bar once you get to Safari. I'll make a note though, we might be doing something silly.

Rahonavis posted:

It's a little thing, but my "favorites" and "recently used" smiley menus are always empty.

Sorry about that. Smilie keyboard is very broken. I'll add it to the list!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm gonna try to reproduce the following:

1. make a post
2. edit the post, but cancel out
3. quote the same post, and submit
4. instead of quoting, the saved change will be an edit to the post

So if I reproduce, you should see 1 subsequent post from me instead of 2.

e: yup, confirmed vvvv

This is probably the most confusing interaction in the app. Sadly, what you see is intended behaviour, but I realize it's hilariously unintuitive. Fixing it is on my list.

jivjov posted:

Getting weird things where blank parts of the page are showing in normal mode instead of night mode

Was this right after coming back to Awful after awhile so it had been kicked out of memory? (The most obvious giveaway that this is happening is you come back to a screenshot of Awful how you left it, then it disappears and the thread kinda reloads over the next second or two.) Did you browse other threads, or other pages in that thread, and was the theme still messed up?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Google says that should be 429. It doesn’t have anything for -1.

E: pulled the info from https://api.imgur.com/errorhandling

-1 is our lil Imgur uploader error code for "poo poo happened".

I'm working on fixing the Imgur uploader but I have no timeline for actually shipping it, sorry.

withak posted:

Does the API key still run out of uses near the end of the month?

It does yeah, and we don't really parse that error condition and report it in a useful way. Working on fixing both of those.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Shitposting to get rid of the grey bar.

Picked the right thread! Usually a force quit fixes it too. Actually, recently I've found just scrolling around makes it go away, it's weird.

irpoweroutlet posted:

I’m on the latest version for iOS on an SE. I switched apps and was prompted for UN/PW (unusual), entered them from keychain, and the app crashed. Seems to working ok now, but figured I’d let you know.

Thanks! You should be ok now. It's on my list.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So twitter vids no longer play inline for me, on iOS 10.3 on an iPad. I'm signed into my account because they'll open right up in the twitter app, and I can click through to reactions etc

Do I have to update permissions or something? Gdpr has been up in my poo poo in every possible way

Not sure if there's something you need to do, something we need to do, or maybe they're just borked. Sorry. I'll add it to my list though!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It’s the first and it’s still giving me the same error. I just want to show off my food. 😭

There's a very good chance some other bits of our Imgur uploading are broken too! Wish I had more suggestions for you but I got nothing, sorry :(

ColHannibal posted:

I dont run the awful keyboard so I don’t know if it’s related to that, but I keep getting this bug where I hit reply to a post, the window comes up to reply but there is no keyboard to type on. It is only fixed by restarting the app.

Running latest update and latest iOS, iPhone 8 Plus.

There is an open issue about the smilie keyboard coming up empty when posting. I don't really have a workaround, but if you can somehow change keyboards that might help? Might need to (temporarily) disable the smilie keyboard to get it to change within Awful, I think "current keyboard" can be a per-app setting. And I'll +1 the issue.

carry on then posted:

I don't see a need to until MS announces something truly concerning. Pokeyman?

I vote we stay at GitHub.

But I'm open to moving if people wanna move.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks team. This thread is usually just about bugs, which is entirely fair! But it’s nice to remember that despite all the work left to do, it’s still a useful app a lot of the time.

tyler posted:

Can you please add an option in settings to turn off auto timg?

It’s on my list!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fascinating dev chat: UIWebView is finally deprecated in iOS 12 so it's time to finish moving to WKWebView for all our rendering needs. The missing piece of the puzzle was custom URLProtocol support, which came to WKWebView in iOS 11. We use custom protocols to: show uploaded images in post preview; give images hosted on Minus and Waffleimages a better chance to work; and load theme images (e.g. the loading screen for Macinyos). So the question is, how much work do we want to do to maintain the experience for people on iOS 9 and 10? Or should we leave them behind, at which point we might as well just jump all the way to iOS 12 (since it has the same list of supported devices)?

I think breaking the Minus and Waffleimages workarounds (if they even do anything) is an acceptable tradeoff, but we'll need to fix the post preview and theme assets.

Or maybe we just bump the minimum requirement up? I feel like trading Minus and Waffleimages support for continuing to get updates is a good trade for all y'all still rocking an iPhone 4s, iPad 2/3, iPad mini 1 or iPod touch 5. But I could be wrong!

Yeah excellent work, Pokey.

I was thinking - should I update those private message icons? I don't really PM so have barely used the feature but they look quite dated at the moment.

What are the states that currently exist for PM's? Unread, read, replied?

There's also "forwarded". I stole them from the site proper, assuming that people would know what they meant in that case (if they know at all), but I'm open to new icons.

kimbo305 posted:

If you submit an empty post, the message in the error dialog is correct, but the title is the image submit thing.

Hehe whoops! I have a note to change that screen to do something smarter on an empty post (which probably means turning off the button when the text is empty), but at a minimum we could get the error right :v:

101 posted:

Is the fully dark OLED theme still off the table?

I'm not sure it ever was off the table? But if someone tried and gave up because of the goofy theme system then I wouldn't blame them. For my vote it's worth doing, just a low priority (for me at least, since I have no relevant displays).

Golden Bee posted:

When I hit Preview for a post, instead of letting me post...it reloads the same screen. So 80% of the time I can't post!

This is a big one, it's on the list.

boop the snoot posted:

I’m having trouble playing twitter videos or gifs while in the awful app. As in pressing play doesn’t do anything at all and I have to click the date to open the tweet in Twitter in order to watch anything.

Same here. Definitely annoying.

carry on then posted:

Might be time to update the Twitter js again...
My first thought too.

ratbert90 posted:

Speaking of Twitter, I’ve also noticed that if there are a lot of twitter posts on a single page, sometimes the twitter background won’t render and I will just get the text.

I can't figure out if this is a quantity issue or if it happens when one of the tweets on the page has been deleted.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Bump the minimum requirement for real. Also any word on the extra space at the front when you paste an image URL?

Nothing to report, still on the list!

Jeoh posted:

Do we have any data on how many people are still stuck on those ancient devices?

We're at something like 95% iOS 11, which only supports non-ancient devices. There's still a couple hundred devices on iOS 9.

Sereri posted:

We switched to the version recommended by the twitter api of injecting the latest twitter.js and ours didn't break. Not sure if that's something the apple app store release people allow.

Didn't even occur to me, but of course that's a thing. I'll check it out!

Hervey Keith posted:

Came in here to post about probs with Twitter gifs/vids loading - looks like that’s already been covered.

Awful app is the only way I browse SA anymore and I think it’s awesome. Thank you.

:toot:

irpoweroutlet posted:

I’m on Public Beta 1 of iOS 12 and this may be related to what you were talking about in the beginning of your last post Pokey.

My app settings are to open twitter links in the twitter app and use the Awful app as my browser for other links. Everything opens in safari.

I'll make sure that's on the list. I've mostly written those off as the not-entirely-intuitive iOS system behaviour, but it seems like there's enough smoke here to go searching for fire.

tanky posted:

Bumping the min requirement to 12 would be convenient, but maybe too aggressive. iOS 11 adoption has been real slow, iPhone 5 is still fairly common, and we'd lose the long tail of people's old iPads. Unless iOS 12 goes gangbusters from the start or our userbase is way ahead of the adoption curve, it'd probably make sense to do the bare minimum work to keep those updating (I like the idea of just fixing preview/theme).

What kind of analytics do we have? I didn't see hw.machine being logged, but percentage on iOS 10.3.3 from connect or crashlytics might be a useful proxy for device breakdown.

iOS 12 doesn't drop any devices though, so if we were gonna do 11 we might as well just go right to 12.

I managed to screw up the build script just enough to ship the most recent App Store release with no Crashlytics. The numbers above come from App Store Connect. (24% opt-in rate, bunch of paranoid goons!)

Make a new paid version for iOS 12 and cut the taxman in

I've offered.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any chance you could make posts from ignored users smaller? I know currently it's displaying a link to show the ignored post but maybe you could word it so it only takes up a line?

I'd accept a change that shrinks the font size. Not so sure about rewording it; I try to stay faithful to the Forums proper in showing content. Also this:

carry on then posted:

The thing is I don't think Awful.app does anything special for ignored posts. So it would have to start doing something special since right now it just renders the post as is.

tyler posted:

Ignore is for cowards

:yeah:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

I've posted about this before but I have an issue where forums will auto-refresh but the thread list is messed up and there will be dead threads listed. Instead of the standard number of threads on the first page there are like two pages worth and at the end the "pull up to go to next page" doesn't work. Manually pulling down at the top of the thread list to refresh fixes it. Ive only noticed it in GBS and PYF (I know, lol don't read those forums problem solved lol).

Not a huge deal and maybe just me but wanted to report

Always ok to report :) it's not just you, I'll +1 the issue.

Grace Baiting posted:

Just wanted to mention that the "[/..]" keyboard button while posting still doesn't understand nested bbcode tags, and instead repeatedly attempts to re-close an already closed tag. So if you write bold-italics and try to close both tags with the "[/..]" button, and then hit it a few more times for fun, you'll get:
code:
[b][i]for closers[/i][//i][///i][////i][/////i]
I know I've mentioned this before (and iirc it cropped up after switching to Swift for the regexes, possibly?) but I think that was all in the old thread.

:sureboat:

Yep, I did a bad (and unnecessary!) porting job on it. It's on the list, I'll +1 it up.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Sent items folder in PM's would be grrrreat

Agreed!

Thanks for the detailed report and the lovely picture! I will add it to the list.

ZeeBoi posted:

Sometimes the app will swipe off to the right into some grey and I have to force quit it to work again.

Latest version, on iPhone 8 running 11.4

Does this happen when dismissing the in-app browser? Or any particular pattern you can detect?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is Awful supported by any of those band-aid "open links to this app in the actual app instead of Safari" apps, like Opener?

No. If you can find out what needs to happen, I can take a look! If it helps, Awful already has a URL scheme for a bunch of things so hopefully it won't be too painful.

irpoweroutlet posted:

In public beta 2, tweets open in the twitter app again.

YouTube links reliably open in the app again, thanks!

I don't think I actually did anything to make this happen but a win's a win :toot:

Subjunctive posted:

When I post in this thread, apostrophes are stripped between compose and preview. People already think I’m an idiot, so no real harm, but weird. On the TestFlight channel.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861354&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

I've seen this on and off too, it's pretty baffling. It's on my list. Sorry for the inconvenience!

(:hf: idiot club members)

Hey, I've made these now. They're named unread-msg, read-msg, rep-msg and fwd-msg.

(In the 2x & 3x folders)

I've also made changes to the others in the set (still same naming and dimensions) so if you could pop those into the next beta that'd be great!

e: Some other things - Share URL could maybe just be Share. I've changed that icon to the more typical share icon.

The brightness sun icons in settings currently appear black on the dark theme.

Thanks for this! Will get 'em into the next version.

boop the snoot posted:

I still have the issue where every now and then the screen will not be responsive unless I open threads with 3D Touch.

Not a huge inconvenience since it’s easy to just close the app and reopen, which has fixed it 100% of the time, just something I figured the dev would like to know.

iOS 11.4 and the most recent release of awful app.

I might've missed adding this to my list. Can you tell me more about it? Once you open a thread using 3D Touch, does everything go back to normal? Or are you forever stuck opening using 3D Touch?

Mad Wack posted:

feature request: replace the tasteful posting animation with a flushing or toilet bowl animation

tia

Not sure about this particular one but I'm always on board with goofy animations for things.

Caganer posted:

Are non plat users able to report now or is it a bug I can see the report button?

It's for compliance with section 1.2 User Generated Content of the App Store Review Guidelines:

quote:

To prevent abuse, apps with user-generated content or social networking services must include:

• A mechanism to report offensive content and timely responses to concerns

While Awful always sends off the report, the effectiveness of said report is out of my control. (Fun fact: this was implemented shortly after the App Review team goatse'd me, cheeky bastards.)

Subjunctive posted:

Can we start scraping https://www.twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com? Maybe it’s bad to diverge from the site there, I dunno. (Why doesn’t the site do it?)

Makes sense to me. I'm guessing the site would do it if it was considered when that feature was implemented. I'll add it to the list.

dismas posted:

Have we figured out how to get video links/gifs from embedded tweets to play in the app again yet?

I haven't, but in my defence I haven't put any effort into it yet :D I'll +1 it on the list.

Weedle posted:

Will filtering threads by tag ever work again? I seem to remember it used to... long, long ago.....

It's on the list!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please restore the outline drawing of the loading smiley because ever since it changed to a solid colour reloading threads to see new posts by swiping up has become lovely and broken in the 5500 page thread I read/inhabit

Thank you

I'm not sure I'm following. What's broken and how would restoring the outline fix it?

Regular Nintendo posted:

Any interest in adding the ability to ignore mods/admins?

Not from me, that goes against my rule about staying approximately true to the website functionality. I'm not sure if it's important that mods and admins can't be ignored, but I'd rather not find out.

shortspecialbus posted:

Sorry to bring this up again but I gave my wife my Android tablet so I'm using the iPad Pro more and I'm still consistently moving to the next page in a thread accidentally. I don't want to disable swipe for next page, but I think we'd talked about maybe it needing to be a bit more of a distance or something? Are there any plans in the near future to maybe implement something along those lines? I won't ask for an adjustable setting this time I promise.

I definitely want to fix it. No plans with timelines unfortunately.

Looke posted:

Just noticed I can change the app icon, thanks!!! Some really cool alternatives :mrgw:

Yeah I love 'em. I'm not one to volunteer spanky's time but if there are any requests…

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That’s the one! Sorry in advance for the mess. Let me know if I can clarify anything, point you in the right direction, etc.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Where else in the app could we have unique animations? I made some others a while ago we could try implementing. I think the :v: and :niggly: work well in their current places (loading threads/loading thread lists.) I thought the tick when you add a bookmark could be replaced with an animating tick on the book icon. Removing a mark could have the cross on a book (currently does another tick I think.)

Just previewing this post now and there's a blank screen for a second. Maybe one can go there? Top priority would probably be a satisfying animation for when you make a post.

I'm always willing to add new app icons. Not all of smilies translate well though.

Any screens that just stay blank while loading are bugs, we should fix those (custom animation or not).

Anywhere we show the loading hud is a candidate for a custom animation. I've also been thinking about a nicer way to report progress when tapping actions in popovers (like when you tap the … on a post). Not saying we need custom animations for every action icon, but if you get super bored… :)

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think you can do the tag auto-closing with just regexes. You need to work backwards to track matched pairs, so you’d have to reverse the string, do the search, manage an arbitrarily deep capture set, and generally befoul things. I loaned a friend my laptop, but I suspect a straight port of the old logic into Swift would be reasonable.

This is what I tried to do, I think I just did an off-by-one error somewhere. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

quote:

Also, when replying to a PM, the text area doesn’t resize out of the way of the keyboard, so you end up with text and caret hidden underneath it. I bet that’s on the list somewhere.

Sure is, now with a +1!

ratbert90 posted:

Fair enough, I can dig into it when I have time. Is there a irc or slack channel of which we could discuss this crap?

There's the project.log thread if you just wanna get it outta here. If you want more realtime communication, I haven't set anything up but by all means go for it.

ratbert90 posted:

So the twitter issue seems to be a bit more complicated than I want.

Switching over to grabbing the latest widget.js doesn't help, it seems to still create a malformed video URL. Not sure where to go from here, as I am a lowly embedded Linux engineer that doesn't do the new fangeled twitters.

Odly enough, if I create a page on my desktop with the exact same JS, it seems to work. So it might be a iOS thing?

Is it an https thing? I forget what the base URL is for the web view where we load the posts but if it's an http url maybe that wrecks something. Also you could try attaching a web inspector to the web view and then trying to load tweets, maybe the inspector will dump out a useful error? (Attaching a web inspector: plug in your device/run simulator, then go to Safari > Develop > your device and pick the web view. (Turn on Develop menu: Safari menu > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar.))

Violator posted:

I browse these dead gay comedy forums more than I should, and the Awful app is a big reason why. Thank you for all of the hard work, it's a great app and brings a lot of joy. Or as much joy as being a part of this community can bring. :kiddo:

Keith Atherton posted:

:agreed:

Thanks for all the hard work and good natured enthusiasm for feedback/criticism

For my part, you're very welcome, and thanks to everyone for helping out (including everyone who reports issues and/or says nice things!).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

That's where I am getting my information from. :v:

Ah. Then I got nothing :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh yeah that's a cool idea. So you mean like if you hit the Post Settings button in the lower left the circular switches would swap places or something?

At the moment those bottom corner buttons (and the ... button) are obscured a bit by the 'tab' of the bubble that appears. I feel like that interface needs to be updated a bit - like maybe the background could dim more and blur out to emphasise the new window in the foreground. At the same time the button pressed could remain at full brightness and animate to its active state. Could also remove that little tab on the bubble.

I was picturing the button in the popover itself would turn into a spinner. Something like:

1. Tap … button on post.
2. Popover appears.
3. Tap "Mark Read".
4. "Mark Read" turns into a spinner.
5a. Operation succeeds: "Mark Read" spinner turns into checkmark and popover closes shortly thereafter.
5b. Operation fails: "Mark Read" spinner turns into X, show alert informing user of failure.
5c. User dismisses popover: no problem, operation continues in background. If user taps same … button again, "Mark Read" is still a spinner.

And I agree, the actions interface could use some work. It's on my never-ending list :)

Subjunctive posted:

Why do share sheets take so long to pop up? It’s not just Awful, but it definitely affects Awful.

I don't think we do anything particularly stupid here, it's just an iOS thing?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Rarely (as in this has happened just like twice in the past year) when trying to post a reply, the app hangs on the posting reply spinner for a while then spits back an error about the image upload failing, despite me not including an upload in the post.

Awful 3.36, IOS 10.3.3

It probably timed out, and it's just a lovely error message :) I'll +1 it on the list.

The icon for share in the latest beta should be the one named 'copy-url' instead of 'copy-iphone'

I used copy-iphone because the copy-url icon isn't really an iOS thing, more of a web (and Android?) thing. As goofy as it is, we should stick with the box-with-an-up-arrow-coming-out-the-top icon.

I'll make a note to add the new stuff, thanks! (Or if anyone else beats me to it, great!)

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t need any of these features because they are basically just putting Christmas lights on something that already works fine so don’t go through too much trouble.

Thanks that’s my input.

My ignoring the thread for weeks at a time surely counts as not going through too much trouble :D

802.11weed posted:

Hi. great app. request: a way to copy thread titles, for when there’s a link or some quote you want to look up. thanks.

Ooh that's a good idea. On the list it goes!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Latest app / iOS, with ‘preview new posts’ switched on I get an endless preview > preview > etc loop, switching the option off allows for posting.

I really gotta get on this one. +1'd on the list.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

In case more detail helps: I get the preview loop on iPhone (but not iPad, that seems to work fine) and when I cancel out to the thread and re-open the compose screen it gives me the option to immediately post the previously-composed message (which works).

More detail never hurts, thanks!

Analytic Engine posted:

Does Awful have a Patreon or something? You rule, this app is worth $100

Thanks! No donation jar, can always throw some money at Lowtax if you've got some loose change though.

carry on then posted:

Haha, the Awful.app thread in project.log got archived.

Probably wasn't worth having the two threads. I don't think anyone minds the dev chat in here (?) and neither thread is high traffic, so consolidating here suits my needs.

quote:

Anyways I started a Swift 4.2(/iOS 12?) branch and ran the converter. Builds and runs fine with one hack to fix GRMoustache. No idea who's fault that bug is or if it'll be fixed by the time iOS 12 comes out.

Thanks! I'll probably still do a bit of work on master branch until we get closer to an Xcode 10 GM release, as we can't use a beta Xcode to submit to the App Store. Hopefully it merges ok, or at least if we have to re-run the conversion we know what's gonna trip us up.

As for GRMustache, I feel like it's been somewhat abandoned (or put on pause, if we're being more charitable), so I wouldn't hold out hope for any official fixes. Maybe someone has forked it and fixed stuff (or maybe we should do that, since our changes will get blown away next time we do a pod install). I'm also ok with abandoning GRMustache, or even mustache templates altogether, if it's not suiting our needs anymore.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've made a new 'default-tag' for PM's, that should look like this when put in:

It will need to shift in colour based on the app theme.

A new 'no-tag' for the ones currently without created tag art. It will also need to shift in colour based on the app theme. The existing one looks like this:

These look great, and it's no trouble to have them match the app theme, but they're 40x40 points and the actual tags are all 45x45 points. Do you mind booping the no-tags out a bit? Thanks!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I tried posting this in the development thread but I guess it was archived?
In the latest beta links are pretty much not working for me, including the Parent Forum button at the top.

Basic thread navigation is working fine

Should be fixed in the next beta.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I’m able to click quotes, parent forums etc. in the new beta

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Here are some updated ones that should work.

In the 2x / 3x folders

We're currently using the 'share' box-with-arrow-coming-out for post options, and it seems weird to hit that icon and have the same icon appear within that next menu. I've switched it back to the previously used chain link, which I've seen used by Apple somewhere before.

Also tweaked some others.

Thanks! These'll be in the next beta.

quote:

Okay, so you'd need 3 new animations then I think - a spinner that occupies the same space / shape as the circular icons, then a 'success' and 'failure' animation that (as seamlessly as possible) carries on from the spinner.

Do you think I should make these at the same dimensions or would it be possible / a good idea to make them at say, double the size so you could make them expand and center on screen once pressed?

Yep sounds like what I'm picturing. I don't plan on expanding and showing in the centre of the screen, so we're ok at the same dimensions. I'm not sure how much I like all the centre-screen loading HUDs and wouldn't mind scaling those back a bit, maybe some toast-style notification banners or something more out of the way.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Awful.app just tried (completely unprompted, on opening) to use Handoff to paste a work email I had drafted and copied on my Mac into a post. Obviously this is really bad.

I think you've got some answers on this. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to check the pasteboard for a copied link without invoking Continuity to sync with your other devices. It's also an occasional source of slowness on launch (since we check for pasteboard contents on launch when that setting is enabled), which sucks. Your best bet is probably to turn off the "Check Clipboard for URL" feature.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Please disable auto timg or add an option to disable it. It's been brought up before but sometimes the wheel's gotta squeak

I hear ya! Always ok to squeak.

kimbo305 posted:

Is the doubling of emoticons in the visual menu a known bug?

Any way to add a search?

It is known. Sorry about that. I'll +1 the duplication and the search :)

101 posted:

Wouldn't it make sense to base it off of image size?

I think I just always use timg though. Why would you not?

It currently is based off image size, according to the Forum Rules. (Which might be horribly outdated for all I know.) But a setting is an entirely reasonable request.

Crime on a Dime posted:

no timg allowed in fyad

Subjunctive posted:

Could make it forum-keyed, like autocapitalize is.

I like this, and is good to know even if we also add a setting. Is FYAD the only place where timg is not allowed?

butros posted:

Is anyone else not able to get smilies to paste into texts/iMessage anymore? It used to paste the smiley in, now it's just a link to some sort of host.

Did the "Allow Full Access" switch get turned off? Settings app > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Smilie Keyboard. Try turning that on and see if it helps.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Not trying to be rude but depending on how the devs feel I'd be ok if the keyboard went away

It seems like it never really worked right

Not rude at all and I hear ya. I do want to spend some time to fix it up, but since I'm spending zero time on it now it's not exactly a major burden to support.

When doing it originally, I thought it was a nice twofer to do the system-wide custom keyboard as well as allowing it to work for input within Awful itself. I wonder if we should do away with the custom keyboard for input within Awful and make a nicer popover-style or modal thinger, which would free up the actual keyboard to type in a search or filter field. If we do it right there's every reason we could reuse most of the custom keyboard stuff in this hypothetical smilie picker, so we get the best of both worlds.

boop the snoot posted:

Posting new threads with lengthy OPs in the awful app is probably the most frustrating thing about the internet.

You can’t scroll down easily so whatever you’re typing gets hidden behind the keyboard unless you have some magical Midas touch that only works about 10% of the time.

This is fixed in the next release :toot:

ricketyvickyt posted:

Not sure if this has been asked but when I try and post screenshots that have been edited, I get the following error message:

Any ideas why? I can post unedited screenshots like the one above.

It's a longstanding bug. I keep putting off looking into image uploading. I can't find any off-the-shelf Imgur uploading code that does what I want and haven't implemented something that actually works. Sorry. I'll +1 it on the list.

goferchan posted:

Lol sorry should have scanned this page. But same for me FYI. I also occasionally get the weird thing where when I click a twitter link and it opens in the awful browser (where I don't believe I have my twitter login info saved) it won't display the tweet and gives me the "Sorry, you are currently rate limited!" error -- it's inconsistent though and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so it's unfortunately hard to nail down how or why it happens. I will definitely give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume the twitter API sucks rear end

Never hurts to get another report of the issue :) The "you are rate limited" one is new to me, but I'll add it to the list, maybe we're doing something silly.