Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
iPhone X, 11.2.1, Awful 3.32
The quick menu in the upper right doesn't summon when I swipe it. It still works everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was there a change at some point for the pull-up distance needed to browse to the next page? I feel like I never triggered that accidentally but now I do it all the time. Maybe it's just a function of where I start the drag on the iPhone X vs the 6.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

anthonypants posted:

It's definitely the iPhone X, it's triggered when the circle icon is about halfway visible.

K, so not just my imagination.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nude posted:

But of course some of you had to be goons about it.
Lol so you did read a few pages back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I feel like I deserve an :ocelot: at least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Has anyone noticed that when a pane slides in from the right, the animation is such that it can pause on the last pixel momentarily? Like you can see a line of whatever is being covered over for a noticeably long time on the left edge?

iPhone X, latest version.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

I think the dismiss is a quick swipe down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

[One pixel showing for a little too long during sliding pane animation]
This is when you e.g. tap a forum in the list and we push the list of threads on to the screen?

I saw it going from bookmarked threads to posts in thread. But I haven't seen it come up in a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I sometimes hold the iPhone X in two fingers, middle finger up top and thumb at the bottom. Frequently, my finger strays from the notch over to the right, onto the right "cat ear" corner. The top edge of that, when tapped, still scroll the page up to the top. Is it allowed by Apple for you app to differentiate the X and have a different behavior? Aka only scroll to top of page when tapped at the line along the bottom of the notch?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I disabled pull to go next page, but that also takes out pull up to refresh for new posts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I guess it could see if the last post shown is 40 or not. And if it's not 40, allow a refresh pull to complete the page, and then lock you out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The real fix is to make it hard to accidentally trigger the thing. I'd rather put the work into that than more settings.

I'm cool with that -- like maybe 25% of screen height, instead of what it is now?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The posted too soon (within 10s) error dialog seems to say something about an image upload.

E: https://imgur.com/a/krBui

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm gonna try to reproduce the following:

1. make a post
2. edit the post, but cancel out
3. quote the same post, and submit
4. instead of quoting, the saved change will be an edit to the post

So if I reproduce, you should see 1 subsequent post from me instead of 2.

e: yup, confirmed vvvv

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Post to be quoted.

kimbo305 posted:

Post to be quoted.

Now I'm quoting this and trying to save as a new post.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you submit an empty post, the message in the error dialog is correct, but the title is the image submit thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tyler posted:

Ignore is for cowards

So this request probably won't affect you :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the doubling of emoticons in the visual menu a known bug?

Any way to add a search?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the devs want to improve the default on different resolutions. :pray:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Re titles -- how do your feel about using the title in emails sent about posts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Not sure I follow.

When I share a post via email, the subject isn't populated with anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BromanderData posted:

I feel like I run into this a lot.

Having to pull the page up a bit more to trigger the next page would be awesome.

This one is in the backlog. At least I think it was acknowledged a ways back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

carry on then posted:

Yes it is. It’s just not a simple tweak because I think it differs based on device size

Is it hard to capture the screen height and do the threshold as a percentage?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anyone else seeing an issue where special characters aren�t displaying properly?

I've seen a thread where it's both ways:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&pagenumber=932#post488728456
That and the next post.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know how to reproduce this bug, but sometimes, the ... button on posts won't bring up the floating edit/quote/report dialog with a simple tap. You need to hold it for a fraction of a second before letting go to bring it up.
Dismissing the app and reloading is enough to make it go away.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think the pull to refresh feels good. Is it the same as it used to be?

With 40 posts, pulling up to go to next page feels a little higher than I like on my X, but there's no false positives, so I'm cool with it. Before, I was just setting it off all the time.
Is the pull up threshold code shared between pull to check for new posts and pull to next page?
I never pull up to see if there's new posts, which maybe is why I don't get bothered by that presumably higher pull distance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Oh hi! Good timing. I love the app in general. As for why, I tend to read a lot of long threads and like to stop at the end of a page so the SA ‘last post read’ counter is accurate and I can pick up where I left off. With pull for next page, I find myself starting a new page accidentally, having to return to the previous page and then mark as read on the bottom post.

I feel like this would be less of an issue if the forum software just had "mark this post as unread" semantics for that button.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More of a curiosity than a real bug, but when you swipe right to leave a thread back to the forum, the title text seems to change "page" width, taking on a different newline position.
https://imgur.com/a/wmfsZd7

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iPhone X, iOS 14, Awful 4.10

I’m slow on new username/avatar features, but the weird colorization on that user Peta seemed odd:

Is that intentional?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This has been done for a while, I think, but still here on 5.4 and latest iOS on 12 Mini.

When a thread title is long enough to span 2 lines, when you make a post, the posting form that slides up doesn't go all the way to the top, letting 1 or 2 rows of pixels of the text through. Here's a comparison screenshot, with the form all the way up vs pulled down a bit manually, to help corroborate the exposed pixels.

E: you can also manually shift the posting form up the remaining pixels.
And now that I play with it more, I think all forms are like this; it's just more noticeable with the 2 lines of text.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 27, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

If true that's a very strange lesson for UI designers to learn

Are you sure you want to delete this file scroll past this emoticon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If the first post of the next page is from an ignored user, pulling up at the bottom of the current page doesn't advance it like it normally does.