Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Feature request: Some kind of text search within the smiley keyboard. A basic filter on "smileyname.contains(searchterm)" would be plenty imo. I never remember the exact name of a smiley and end up scrolling the entire list looking for it.

Came here to ask for this, so seconding... The smiley list as it is is unusable, there are way, way too many to scroll through if you're looking for a specific one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey you know what would be a great feature? Searchable smileys!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I have the same issue sometimes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

commie kong posted:

I don't think it's YouTube. I think it's iOS

Turn your device off and back on again. It will still be broken but should come good a day or so later.

Seriously, that seems to be how it goes.

I loving hate this about the iphone. It loving sucks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

i feel like im going crazy because the buttons are there in both screenshots it’s just the symbols are a bit harder to see in the first one

Same. I can see the buttons just fine.

It's probably related to the screen the image is viewed on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I think all the different sizes would make that incredibly fiddly to try and do.

I just want the repeating error to go away.

Agreed. The smiley picker is terrible and unusable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah absolutely not please and thank you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm looking forward to a usable forums smileys keyboard

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

After a year your cookie expires and you'll have to log in again, but I don't think the app's settings should reset when that happens.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'll start the wiki

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So this would be a good time to jump into the beta, I take it.

No just update it manually from the app store, you'll get 6.2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I would love to skip to the end of this thread to check if this feedback has been posted already but on iOS 14.7.1 if you hit the page number navigation menu at the bottom in any thread it crashes to desktop lol

Update your ancient iOS what the gently caress

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

It looks like we lost “swipe to remove” bookmarks over the new update. Was that intended? I’m not particularly tore up about it as I would occasionally remove one without meaning.

Yeah that was intentional and I'm glad because I have for sure accidentally deleted bookmarks, and those threads are now lost to me forever, like tears in rain.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did the image attachment feature also get removed and for what reason? Or was it never there and am I just crazy :tinfoil:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The forums attachment system was never a part of the app and will be integrated with the new one I think. Imgur posting was removed following their TOS change.

Ah, I must be thinking of the Android app(s) then, before I switched to iphone a couple of years ago.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

If I could ask for a single feature it would be smiley filtering.

Absolutely this. The smiley picker is completely unusable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is the past 10 days for me:

iPhone 12, 16.5.1(c)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 23, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I agree with Cyrano. It's such a hassle to post images now I often don't bother.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

The people griping are the reason a lot of use never were able to use it ourselves :v: The shortcut approach is fine and you can tweak it to your heart’s content.

It's a workaround for a missing feature that should exist on the forums and in the app. It's not really "fine".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

Do any of the new Twitter-like platforms have good embedding? I think that’s a must for any of them to be true replacements. If nothing else, it lets lazy journalists crowdsource their articles.

There's a standard for that called Open Graph, if the social media platform implements it properly it should be very easy,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whydirt posted:

A hushed voice whispers through the thread

smiley filter…

:pray:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

:same: the current picker is unusable and anything to fix it is welcome

Been saying this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a question about drafts. How long are they saved and under what circumstances are they kept, and deleted? I've often saved a draft of a post I've been working on only for it to disappear.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perhaps the app is trying to tell me to stop posting?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've recently updated to 17.1.1 too and am not experiencing the same issue.

In the past I've had a similar issue though and clearing all of the app's data helped.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In it voted 5

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not without the devs adding it back in.

A this point it should probably be re-enabled because the great imgur deletion apocalypse didn't really materialize nor is Jeff doing much of anything on the image hosting front (or much of anything else at all really, but I digress) and it's a feature that's really useful.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The devs were too eager in removing the feature and this supposedly fantastic solution of the shortcut is a kludge and clunky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is something wrong with iOS awful app?
  • App won't refresh the threadlist when I'm in subforums.
  • App won't load text when I click on threads. It just stays black.

I have a iphone ten fwiw

Working fine for me

- Posted from my iPhone 12

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Forgot to mention but on the latest TestFlight build icons are still missing.

This is affecting production

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t know about it! do you have an idea of what triggered it to start?

Do a long press pretty much anywhere until you feel the click, and start dragging.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, not for me on a 15PM with the latest beta and iOS 17.1.2. Just tried on this very post.

Interesting, and you have haptics enabled?

I'm on a 12, same iOS version. (About to update to 17.2.1, don't expect that to make any difference)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I did not, but now I do and the haptic only lasts until I stop pressing. I’ll keep at it, it’s not too surprising that some callback to stop the haptics got messed up with the PromiseKit/async surgery that just happened, IMO

That's the same for me, it keeps vibrating until you lift off again. I don't think it's supposed to vibrate though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's been a bug for a long time, a kind of funny one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've enjoyed it as a weird quirk of this app, but it should probably be fixed yeah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looks like the long press scrolling vibration bug got fixed. The end of an era.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Warbird posted:

Test:

Also you all should play this, it whips rear end.

Edit: sick. Thanks for sharing. I need to see if I can rejigger it too as to a specific account/key. Nothing against OP but I like to keep my stuff where it can have an eye kept on it. Maybe I should self host something.

Is that like an emulator or summat? e: it's a switch emulator, no need to derail the thread, sorry! :shobon:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 22, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'll take a look later today, there's probably a proper API endpoint that you can call with just the token, or you have to use the token to authenticate first to get a session cookie and then you can post the image.

e: It doesn't look like they have documented their API anywhere, and the forums plugins look to be just including some javascript from mod.postimage.org that has largely the same javascript as from the main website.
Looking into the windows app now.

e2: Well, it's no fun looking at a 10 year old Qt app in IDA, but the network traffic is plain HTTP at least :nsa:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 23, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looked into the windows app a bit and it actually uses api.postimages.org. The good news is that it looks like you're actually able to use your API key in the app, but the bad news is that it looks like the API is really only intended for the windows app since it requires you to send the version of the app you're using, and will tell you to download the latest version if you don't.

The request is sent off as x-www-form-urlencoded, with the image file first being zlib compressed, base64 encoded and then url encoded.
There are some more magic parameters like o and m that I don't fully understand but seem to be analogous to a session token or something like that.

As far as everyone using their own API key, I don't think you really have to, since the public apps and plugins all have the same public api key baked in. It's more convenient to have them in your own account but it doesn't look to be strictly necessary.

The API seems to be uh, quite brittle as well, it's really easy to get it to error out or time out so I'm not sure we want to be using it.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's awesome. Thanks! So I take this to mean that my shortcut is probably fine, because if they invalidate the key then it invalidates all of their plugins that they've shipped.

The windows app uses a different default api key, but the "latest" version of the windows app is from 2013, so that key has been in use for over a decade. :shrug:

As far as the forums plugins go:

code:
projects/postimage/plugins$ for i in *.js; do printf "%-15s" $i; js-beautify $i | grep -w token; done
fluxbb.js                      formData.append("token", "61aa06d6116f7331ad7b2ba9c7fb707ec9b182e8");
mybb.js                        formData.append("token", "61aa06d6116f7331ad7b2ba9c7fb707ec9b182e8");
phpbb3.js                      formData.append("token", "61aa06d6116f7331ad7b2ba9c7fb707ec9b182e8");
punbb.js                       formData.append("token", "61aa06d6116f7331ad7b2ba9c7fb707ec9b182e8");
zetaboards.js                  formData.append("token", "61aa06d6116f7331ad7b2ba9c7fb707ec9b182e8");
So yeah, I think we're good using that. Might want to change it depending on their reply to Subjunctive.