Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This is a pretty minor thing, but is there any chance you can tweak the bookmark colors? Using the white theme, it’s pretty difficult to read the unread post count for anything bookmarked yellow.

I feel like ages ago the unread count was in a circle or something that made it easier to read, but I might be misremembering.

Also is adding a space before anything pasted an iOS thing? It breaks img rags if the first character is a space, but if that’s just iOS’s behavior I imagine there’s nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for the exciting app icon options! and the app itself, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I do the same with long threads, leave it at a page break for later. If you're willing, I'm curious what your typical scrolling habits are that result in accidentally triggering the pull-for-next. It's hard for me to ignore the muscle memory I've built up having used the app for so long so I'm sure I have some blind spots here. So if you feel like describing how you tend to scroll, or make a lil screen recording (though I realize it's hard to just "act normal" at that point), I'd definitely read/watch it.

I'm not sure if the issue is people not realizing pull-for-next has been triggered, or whether something about their scrolling habits are sufficiently different from mine that I'm missing something obvious about the implementation.

I’m not that guy, but I usually just scroll to the bottom of the page without noticing or looking for the scrollbar, so without the toggle I suddenly find myself on another page when trying to move the next post towards the center of the screen. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I read a post at a time, rather than a screen at a time.

f.e.: Also thanks for fixing whatever was making the empty “end of thread” space clickable. Now it’s easier to swipe back to the bookmarks page from a thread with only a couple new posts.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 6, 2018

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Phooey, that was an interesting lead!

I imagine it works the same way Lightroom and the photos app on osx work, where the edits, until exported, are just a list of changes in a database. That seems more likely than your phone duplicating everything you edit in case you later want to revert to the original.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the shortcuts app is, in fact, a separate app. That's a drat sight more useful than Siri shortcuts.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Actually, on desktop Safari, I can see both. What happens is the img tagged one (the second one, right?) gets served up by imgur as a gifv, which safari (and awful, and probably chrome? I assume this is a webkit thing) understands. That happily loops forever, silently.

The first video, which is url tagged, embeds as an mp4, and won't do that. (although I'm pretty sure I set a flag somewhere to prevent autoplaying videos. If I click through to show controls, I can play the video, sound and all.)

I only checked with firefox, but the img-tagged gifv version didn't work in firefox, it just displays a broken file placeholder.

Out of curiosity, how did you upload your video? When I tried I went through the pain in the rear end imgur.com/upload page (and used its share link, which is how I got the img-tagged gifv in the first place).

I'd be curious to know if there's a proper solution to this, though. To be honest, I just used the img tags because I couldn't remember which ones worked for embedding a video like that. I kinda feel like once upon a time imgur just served a suitable format to whatever browser and it just worked, but it's not like SA's bbcode listing has ever been changed, so I'm not sure what's the "correct" way to post gifv/webm/whatevers.

Actually, I can see that your video is 15s long, but awful (and desktop safari) are only showing like, 3 frames looping forever. Did you shorten it, or is something just horribly hosed up?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Can't long press on images to save them, but I did discover that I can double tap paragraphs to center them on the screen. So that's kinda neat.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Try updating? There's an even newer, even more fixed version!
3.57, ios 12.2:
Long hold will open images in the separate image view, even quoted ones (which I assume are timg'd, but I can't tell, since I don't think the app shows the timg'd border. No menus, 3d touch does precisely nothing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

This is pretty minor, but it seems like the back button is too far up (iPhone 8, latest regular version of awful) when in landscape mode, like so:

It’s in the same spot in all the themes, which makes sense. It seems like it’s higher up than the new post button and is basically jutting up against the edge of the screen. It’s working just fine, visual appearance aside, so it’s not really a big deal. It seems fine in portrait mode, but there’s more room there thanks to the status bar, so it’s hard to tell.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any shortcuts for uploading images to Imgur and spitting out the timg tagged url? I have a shortcut for stuff in my gallery, but I’d like to be able to use the share dialog to get the links for images I find but don’t want to download

Assuming you have the same one I got from here ages ago, you can just modify the first action to accept urls as well as images; this’ll make it show up if you try to share an image from safari. Note that this will ask permission for each web page when you do it, which is mildly annoying.

Also, since I sorta broke the original one I had and had to reconstruct it, this is a bit neater. I think that the “if there’s no input” field is new for ios15, but it makes the “get photos” step unnecessary. The rest is just setting variables to the previous step, as necessary.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Data Graham posted:

OK so I've been changing the app icon in the settings and the actual icon is not changing. I've force-quit the app several times. What do I have to do to make it update?

Restart your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The explanation text in the settings page (e.g. "Turn off the end of thread frog and dead tweet ghost") is scrollable, at least on an iphone se. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't managed to get my finger on it while trying to scroll down and then wondering why the hell it wasn't scrolling, so I assume that's not intentional.

Also thanks for disappearing the PM button at the bottom, for the past week or two, every time I'd open the app it's somehow switched to that view and then I have to dismiss a dialog telling me I don't have PMs.