Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This sure is an Awful app!!! for iOS!!!

Awful on the App Store (Free, iOS 9+)

Awful is Better Than Safari™ for browsing the forums. Go get it.

pokeyman heads up Awful and is probably responsible for the bug you came here to complain about (sorry!).

:backtowork: Help out! :backtowork:

If you'd like to beta test new versions of Awful, visit this link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

We have a project.log thread for discussing ongoing development and beta-testing. If you're using a beta version of Awful, please head over there to report bugs. This thread here is for the App Store version.

Design? I sure don't! Help our trusty designers make the app great.

Write code? Hit up Awful's GitHub repository and do it. Here's the big list of bugs and features if you'd like some guidance. Get a pull request accepted (not a high bar) and the commit bit is yours.

So far we've had contributions from
awesomeolion, best bale, carry on then, Diabolik900, Drastic Actions, enigma105, Froist, hardstyle, JamesOff, Jose Valasquez, Kailtor Malcolm XML, megane, OHIO, pokeyman, Regular Nintendo, spanky the dolphin, Subjunctive, tanky, The Dave, ultramiraculous, and xzzy.

:boom: Wasn't there some other version? :boom:

Once upon a time, some dissatisfied customers took it upon themselves to take Awful and release the fixed app as a new version of mostly the same code. It was called Awful S II MAXX. It's broken as of New Forums Design 2013 and won't be fixed.

If your Awful app has a frog in its icon, you're using MAXX. Switch to Awful for less (?) breakage.

:justpost: Other platforms :justpost:

Some talented folk are hard at work making apps for other platforms:
Android
Android again
Windows 10

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

This should've been fixed in 3.28, but I'll take another look and make sure we caught all the alerts.

It's weird, some Alerts don't have any buttons without having one added manually, others have an OK button. I couldn't tell the difference. Possible iOS bug?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Scientastic posted:

Is there a way to view polls? If I want to vote in one, do I have to actually use a computer?

For now, yes. It's on the list to be added though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ughghghg what is going on with these stupid OK buttons I thought I fixed this.

iajanus posted:

Putting airplane mode on kicked me off my wifi network but not Bluetooth

e: also wtf this is what I got when trying to upload the image cropped...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Only Shallow posted:

Also of note are the double OK buttons :)

I'm starting to think Apple fixed a bug in a point release. Might be time to back that fix out. What iOS are you on?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

macserv posted:

Just wanted to say kudos to the developers for iPhone X readiness. App looks fantastic on the new phone.

Unless pokeyman made some changes I missed, I think that's 100% Apple--I haven't changed a thing. I did not ice a few minor issues when testing it in the simulator but that was a few betas ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Did you accidentally brush your finger across the top edge of the screen? Shooting back up to the top as you adjust your grip on your phone is standard (and dumb) iOS behavior.

It's a nice feature. And no, that probably isn't it. The app saves the last read position and tries its damndest to return to it in order to defeat all the tweet loading that usually happens after the page signals it's completely done loading. We'll probably need to cancel the jumping back if the user scrolls.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It’s literally not working correctly, of course it’s unintuitive. He’s got the fix coming.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It does, however, have to be updated manually. I can look into doing so within the next few days.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Does the status bar go to black text? I've been noticing that happens after I swipe back from the internal web browser, but I'm running the debug ver so I thought it was just that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

obstipator posted:

I’m unable to upload images for the telephone.

I get protocol error:

e: lol nvm. that pic uploaded fine

Were you trying to upload a photo taken with your camera? It may be HEIC which imgur doesn't like. We're looking into automatically converting, I think.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

Lol so they trained ios devs to think in size classes for 3 years and then just got rid of them for the iphone x?

iphonex just subscribes to the same size classes as the regular iPhone I think

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

How did you necro a bunch of threads without seeing the date the post you were quoting and/or the last post in the thread was in the posts view?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Try again at the beginning of the month. Were all on a shared rate limit.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I can take a shot at the darkest theme. It's gonna take some crowbarring in--I implemented automatic switching in a hacky way.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I think our old-rear end twitter.js finally got too out of date.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

carry on then posted:

I think our old-rear end twitter.js finally got too out of date.

It was this. Updated it and it fixed images in embedded tweets for me so I hope those other issues people are mentioning are unrelated.

e: as for liking tweets without going to an external browser tab, I'm not sure how we'd do that since embedding tweets is literally pointing twitter at a tweet URL and saying "replace that with whatever you want to." If it's configurable somehow, let me know.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 11, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

That is fascinating, I've never seen that before. I have vague thoughts about what might be happening but I'm largely lost at the moment. Thanks for the writeup and screenshots!

I see it pretty often myself on my iPhone 7, (usually latest) master branch. Near as I can tell, _something_ is causing SFSafariViewController to get presented UNDER most of the view hierarchy. In my playing around, if I get the SFSafariViewController to actually present on top like it should, it's completely blank, having only a blank UINavigationBar at the top.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anyone seeing an issue where images in embedded tweets don't show?

:v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i can break the twitter images again if people are having fun with that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

101 posted:

Any ETA on the true black OLED mode btw?

A little ways off. Since it involves a full app theme and not just posts, I have to crowbar it in with the existing infra I built that assumes only two themes. Plus my laptop no longer supports my monitors so I get to do all Awful coding on a tiny laptop screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

101 posted:

drat. Fair enough though. What happened with the monitors?

I mean… how dare you not have it done yet on this app I’ve spent no money on :argh:

Nothing bad. I just upgraded and my laptop can't drive the resolution so everything is blurry. Unfortunately I can't really use it like that without getting a fatiguied so I try to avoid it and just use my Windows desktop which can.

I'll quit being a baby and give the theme a look real soon :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nitr0 posted:

Can we donate some money for a fancy new monitor or computer or what you need?

no but if any of you work with tim cook tell him to make the tower mac pro again, those were neat.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Billzasilver posted:

Is this possible without giving the app designers de facto mod powers??

We would need at least one mod to dump some html and probably test the features. For a long time this didn’t seem likely but there seems to be an uptick in interest lately...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Pardon me with this dumb question I should probably already know the answer to: in Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Apps using iCloud... this is primarily for syncing your data across multiple Apple devices, correct? If my iPhone is my only Apple device, I don't really need most of these on because the iCloud backup also saves everything? Or is this data separate from the iCloud backup and needed if I perform a restore?

I think you're looking for the general iPhone thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3664222&perpage=40), this thread is specifically for discussing the Awful forums browser for iOS.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NEED MORE MILK posted:

How the hell do I turn off post previews. I need my posts to be instantly put online for maximum efficiency in shitposting

Settings has it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey I've done some :spergin: tweaks to some of the app icons here. They were incorrectly scaled before resulting in some fringing artifacts wherever 2 colours would meet. That's been fixed along with some tiny changes to :frogout: and :staredog:. I've also made some dark backdrop versions of :v: and the gold icon.

Finally, the list icons for larger devices has been redrawn as there was an error in there.

Can someone please drop these into the app? Thanks!

Done. I also fixed the icon gallery's background in dark mode.

Also, can we do something about :

Swift code:
override var refreshControl: UIRefreshControl? {
        // These were here to help migrate away from UIRefreshControl. Might as well leave them in to make sure we don't accidentally try something.
        get { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
        set { fatalError("use pullToRefreshView") }
    }
It breaks capturing the UI hierarchy.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 1, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

obi_ant posted:

I love being able to pick the frog icon for the Awful app.

The new dark mode seems to be much darker too (which I really like), but doesn't seem to be true black? #000000?

there's no new dark mode that i'm aware of

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kimbo305 posted:

I think the dismiss is a quick swipe down.

My guess is it's an overeager gesture recognizer that sees any pan down as the downward swipe that means close the view. We can probably adjust that to be more discriminating, or at least only work when the image is zoomed out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

Odd bug that just started. I'm running the most recent 11.3 public beta. The app doesn't seem to save the most recent view when the phone goes to sleep. I can be in one thread and if the phone sleeps and I wake it the app will show a thread from several minutes ago before refreshing to where I was after a few seconds.

This doesn't seem to happen if I exit the app to the home screen. Only sleep.

Hmm, you might be the first to see an upcoming bug with the new release. I don't have any devices with the beta deployed, but I'll keep an eye out for it once 11.3 ships. Thanks!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm going to dissent and say that while it certainly needs to be adjusted, making it a user setting is a terrible way to "fix" the problem.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't device-specific. On my Plus it has plenty of room. Perhaps SEs are more sensitive?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

shortspecialbus posted:

My only iOS device is an ipad pro, the 9.7" one or whatever. I seem to accidentally go to a new page fairly often when scrolling down.

Why on earth is user customization (hide it under an 'Advanced' thing if you want) a terrible idea? Not everyone has the same preferences.

"Intelligent defaults over endless configuration" is a core tenant of Apple's design.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

iajanus posted:

Which works great when it's actually intelligent.

That is what we are working on, yes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is there a way to hide the Stupid Newbie avatar but not turn off avatars as a whole?

No.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

please add airplay support so i can cast the forums to my television or computer

What would it do differently than mirroring your screen?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

i mean the link that's available on the website that links to the indexed posts from every forum the poster has posted in. Sorry if I didn't make it clear (i made it clear)

Try using more than one sentence per post and maybe you won't cause so much confusion.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

I’m using the latest beta and when I select “open in YouTube” for a video it always opens mobile YouTube in safari instead. Is there any way to make it open in the real YouTube app?

It's a safari thing. I think if you press the Open In App button that Safari sometimes shows it'll remember your preference. Out of Awful's hands unfortunately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I don't see a need to until MS announces something truly concerning. Pokeyman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah pokeyman, you're amazing. :)

I'll try to get back in to fixing some bugs soon, but like a dummy I installed all the Apple betas and now Crashlytics something derails the build. Once I figure that and others out I'll browse the bug list again.