Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

I'm torn between :v: and the frog. The frog would be the clear winner except it reminds me of the neo-nazi frog.

Pepe the Frog is a cartoon character that has become a popular Internet meme (often referred to as the “sad frog meme” by people unfamiliar with the name of the character). The character first appeared in 2005 in the on-line cartoon Boy’s Club. In that appearance, the character also first used its catchphrase, “feels good, man.” The Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations. Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things. Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called “rare Pepes.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any ETA on the true black OLED mode btw?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

carry on then posted:

A little ways off. Since it involves a full app theme and not just posts, I have to crowbar it in with the existing infra I built that assumes only two themes. Plus my laptop no longer supports my monitors so I get to do all Awful coding on a tiny laptop screen.

drat. Fair enough though. What happened with the monitors?

I mean… how dare you not have it done yet on this app I’ve spent no money on :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is the fully dark OLED theme still off the table?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Handen posted:

This is might be a really dumb question but where is the thread vote option?

Bottom right of the screen. Under the share button

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Liking the new post icon 👌🏻

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wouldn't it make sense to base it off of image size?

I think I just always use timg though. Why would you not?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405 and others which I think share the same thread icon are showing a black X now since the update.

Yeah I'm seeing quite a few black Xs too

Speaking of XS is there update on a potential 'true black' OLED theme? Especially with two more OLED phones launching next week

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

akadajet posted:

what does this mean?

What part of it?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The shade on posts that have already been read and the 'next bookmark' feature would both be great too

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Keith Atherton posted:

Is the X thread icon a beta thing? I'm still seeing the blue generic icon:

Just curious

Yeah there was a small update to it earlier.

Are you guys hesitant to work on this app too much because of the possible new forum software (that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen) or does that not really factor in?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
drat that's slick

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

A cleaner app appearance means less visual clutter, which means less noise to draw your eyes to, gives more focus to the content that should be in focus. It sounds like a visual design only call but it has subtle affects on visually parsing a page.

If you look at some of the native first party apps (safari, mail) or some of the most used third party apps (facebook, instagram, twitter, linkedin, slack) you'll see them do the same. When you main content to consume is text, it better serves that content to not have competing text elements.

To be honest I'm not super passionate about this, I just think it's a nicer/better direction.

Yeah I definitely agree with this. Twitter was the first example that jumped out to me.

The labels are essential wasted space after the first 15 seconds imo. Even a few pixels more of threads at least serve some purpose

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I don’t think the tab bar would change size if we got rid of the labels.

Oh. In that case I'm entirely indifferent.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
While there's a lot of discussion the app going forward here I'd still love an OLED true black mode :angel:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Open in YouTube doesn't seem to be working anymore. I used to tap the title of an embedded video and it would take me to the app. Now it does nothing

Hitting play just opens it in-app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wasn't there talk of using the dark Twitter embed on the dark theme? Just got blinded again and remembered

Also, in a similar vein, any update on the OLED theme?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Super happy that the OLED dark mode is being implemented. Really does make the blinding white of embedded tweets stand out more though. Wasn't there talk of being able to use Twitters dark mode in embeds?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Latest beta update with OLED theme:

The 'End of Thread' tag seems to be below the page picker and pulling down to see it/look for new posts jumps me to the top of the page on a reload.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean “pulling up”?

Yeah. Pull up

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

spanky the dolphin posted:

Holky gently caress, dark tweets!

Test

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

Edit:
Sweeeeet

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Feel free to tell me to bugger off if it'd be too much effort or anything but is there anything I could easily add to this userstyle to get dark Tweets on desktop. Just want a nice bit of dark parity between platforms

https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I consistently get a grey bar if I go back to my bookmarks and then swipe from the right to go back to the thread I was just in

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Loading the one post before the one you're up to but anchoring the top of the screen to the first unread one still would work, right?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Would it be possible to add a share option (obviously opening the iOS share sheet) when you long press a YouTube video's title or are the three options that come up when you long press one just default behaviour you guys have no control over?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

(Honestly, removing a bookmark is probably uncommon enough that taking away the swipe and relying on long-press or the in-thread burger would probably be OK and make the swiping nav/reveal simple. I do a lot of bookmark curation, and I don't think I'd miss it. I'd love to be able to do the swiping nav when I have Awful up as picture-in-picture on my iPad, too.)

Yeah I'd definitely say it'd feel nicer to be able to 'lazy-swipe' to the thread list and back from anywhere. Going back to the thread currently is usually quite finicky

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Long pressing an image since iOS 13 ends up highlighting the image and some text around it once you dismiss it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teen witch posted:

Is there a workaround for when you can’t post images and get the API exception error?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c8cbe2b29e764a91b5adb365b5c218e3

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The smilie menu has been kinda broken for me for ages (a tonne of duplicates next to each other) and the ability to search it would save a tonne of time

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Twitch embeds just show up as blank space for me in Awful

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
or just link out to that Shortcut

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
They break (and Twitter itself refuses to load images) whenever I use a VPN. Could that be the issue?

I don't think it's Awful

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I think we added re-tap-refresh to the FB app when the first big phone screens started to happen. Would you want it to refresh, or just scroll?

If you're not at the the top of the list: scroll to top
If you are at the top of the list: refresh?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Not an app issue cause it's happening on the website too but this thread is stuck on one unread post for me. Will posting fix it?…

Edit: it will and that post suddenly became visible ^

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
4.7 is out and claims to fix it

I never saw the issue in the first place though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's working fine for me but I only ever use bookmarks. I'm hoping as long as I don't go over to the forums tab it'll be fine

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teacup posted:

Hey all of a sudden whenever I click on a linked tweet in a thread it will automatically open a safari page of Twitter rather than going directly to the app like it used to. I’ve checked and the app is up to date. To my knowledge I didn’t change anything else about the awful app or Twitter- any ideas on why this is happening?

Not that this is directly a fix but Opener is really useful for situations like this. I end up using it multiple times a day usually.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

AeroZ posted:

Any thoughts/ideas about adding push notifications?

Pretty sure SA would need some sort of API for that

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

spanky the dolphin posted:

Okay, let me present an alternative layout that makes better use of the vertical space taken up by the horizontal dividers.

fwiw I like this a lot and like the 'clean' look of getting rid of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Badly Jester posted:

Recently made the switch to iOS and I’m enjoying this app so far - thanks to the goons putting their time and effort into this. I do, however, have a question: why can’t in set the default view of the app to be my bookmarks? I spend most of my time on these, our dying comedy forums bouncing between threads I’m already subscribed to. I know this is am extremely minor gripe (which speaks to how good the app is), but I’m hoping that translates to it being a minor/easy feature to implement as a toggle in the options menu.

Huh. Mine always goes back to bookmarks. Even if I force close it or it falls out of memory which is pretty rare