Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

humpthewind posted:

I have not had spoilers work yet. iPhone X, latest everything

test

Edit: of course it works now

And mine was working fine until this morning. Such as this one you made.

What a weird loving bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

And mine was working fine until this morning. Such as this one you made.

What a weird loving bug.

Just updated the app. Everything seems to be working again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Latest version contains just the iOS 9 crash fix. Anything else that seems fixed will probably break itself in due course :(

Lol, well I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok this may or may not be the issue, but I have found that once I click on a profile to see posts, rap-sheet, etc... I can no longer un-spoiler things. Even swiping the app away (to “unload” it) doesn’t seem to work.

Two things I’ve seen for sure fix it. An app update everything was back to normal and a hard reboot did so as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHomer722 posted:

Is there a way to clear the Awful browser cache? I keep bumping up against the paywall on sites like WaPo and Nytimes. I’ve used the apps clear cache function without success. I’m not sure If this is new, but I don’t remember encountering it before the last couple weeks.

E: nvm

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Nope! We'll always take a "thanks" though, and I appreciate the thought :glomp:

Well then thanks, next to PDF Expert to annotate sundry documents this is my my most used app on the iPad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

Leave it as is please

no

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Spoilers are still inconsistent for me. They show sometimes but not others.

:same:

Also, when I reach then end, there’s no... I guess elasticity is the word I’m looking for. If I hit the bottom when I “flick scroll” and there’s another page, it insta jumps to the next page. This seems like it’s changed from how I remember it behaving before. I would think a deliberate pull up and hold (however miniscule a time it would be) would work better than hit bottom and immediately load next page.

gently caress. Now I can’t reproduce it. Carry on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and I just use a shortcut on iOS that uploads the picture and spits out a timg link.

Same. It works very well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheMightyHandful posted:

I get an error everytime i try and upload a photo that I've taken then cropped on the phone - uncropped photos work fine

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I found lots of stuff about HEIC as a format, but nothing that explained what changed when an image was cropped. I’ll keep looking.

As far as I know the only thing that changes is image size.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Phooey, that was an interesting lead!

Gets even more complicated, some of the share functions will automatically convert to from HEIC to JPEG. I imagine there's an API that's used when uploading that auto-converts as well (In fact I'm sure of it, since my script in Shortcuts has a convert function)

Also, you can override the default in settings and have it bypass using HEIC completely and store things as JPEGs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Make sure you add it to whatever the gently caress this screen is called.

The widgets screen?? I dunno what they actually call it.

You can do that, you can also have it create a “home screen” icons that launch the appropriate shortcut. They’re just like any other app icon, just instead of an app they launch specific shortcut scripts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teacup posted:

Spoilers are not working at all, iphonexs max on latest iOS. Force closing has done nothing.

Weird, mine has suddenly started working flawlessly the last few days at least. Also, I can pull up user name information again. I’m on iPad Pro, latest i0S. Haven’t checked on my MAAAXXXX since I don’t usually read SA on the phone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Weird, mine has suddenly started working flawlessly the last few days at least. Also, I can pull up user name information again. I’m on iPad Pro, latest i0S. Haven’t checked on my MAAAXXXX since I don’t usually read SA on the phone.

LOL

So now *none* of the things I said started working, work anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pokeyman posted:

People with issues tapping spoilers/action buttons/post author headers: do you have "Alternate App Theme" enabled in Settings? What happens if you turn that off?

:aaa:

I verified it was still not working before I turned off the alt theme, and now that poo poo works again.

Now, it has worked on and off sporadically, so I’m withholding my “you cracked the code” until I can go for an extended time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, since I moved back to the default theme everything has been working for me as well. I’m convinced the alt-theme was the culprit (although I *really* liked the alt-theme).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I’ll repost this since we’re talking about Imgur again.

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warbird posted:

Just joshing you bud, it’s all good. I don’t know if you tweaked something or my dumb rear end is just adapting but I haven’t had a false advance in a bit.

Same. It actually seems to work as I remember it months ago.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dismas posted:

So if you hit edit on a post, cancel out, and then try to write a new post, it goes back to editing the old post unless you cancel out of that again

This is easy for me to accidentally do if I try to quote my own post and hit edit by mistake.

Yeah, I've noticed that but never remember to post here. Glad you did. I didn't know cancel out a 2nd time fixed it, I usually quickly exit and then re-enter the thread as that resets the edit window.

It's super annoying when you're in a live shitposting thread for things like football games.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Iodised QQ posted:

awful app for iOS immediately crashes upon opening every time starting from this afternoon, anyone else have this start happening? Am I out of date? am i dying?

I’ve been working fine. If it’s immediately crashing, have you tried rebooting your iPhone/iPad? Another option is to delete it and reinstall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zesty posted:

What’s up with the colored number of replies?

Doesn't that reflect the color of the "star" in the User Control Panel of the web based forum UI?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

Love the new theme!

Somethings up with the shortcut bar though:

I had the weird grey bars and the shortcut bar being all messed up when I switched to the OLED theme. I force closed the app and went back in and it looks like it corrected itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That looks really good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know anything about this stuff as I don't need it, but I'm glad there's people who do. :)

You’re glad that people need it?

You monster.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warbird posted:

Would it be possible to add functionality for links to forum posts/threads to be opened in the app instead of the phone’s browser? It’d make sharing threads with fellow goons a bit easier.

Make sure Awful is selected as the default browser in Settings

E: Sorry, I misread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you want it removed?

Because they don't understand what they're looking at, most likely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

In the last day or so I noticed that swiping left with the Pencil on my iPad Pro won't slide the side panel out (bookmarks, settings, etc...). Works fine with my finger or a non-Pencil stylus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

For some reason I can’t swipe from left to right to pull the left side menu on screen with I use either the Pencil 2 (12.9 2018 iPad Pro) or the Pencil 1 (iPad Mini 5). It works fine when I swipe with my finger or a passive stylus. Otherwise the Pencil works fine generally navigating the app and following links.

This has only started since I upgraded to iPadOS 13. Which may be coincidence since I think there were a bunch of Awful updates as well at the same timeframe.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Is there some setting I’m overlooking?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

I have never been able to do any gesture that starts from offscreen with the pencil. We can't control what events we get told about.

??

I'm not sure what you mean by "offscreen". On the iPad I just swipe left-to-right from the left part of the screen to pull up the sidebar. It works with everything *except* the Pencil and none of them start "offscreen".

Fake Edit: I just tested on the iPad Pro to make sure I wasn't unconsciously starting from the bezel. I wasn't. (I know with the iPhone I have to do it that way, but I've never had to on the iPad)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have an XS Max and when I do use the app it’s usually in portrait mode to begin with. I’ve just tilted/rotated into landscape and back in both directions. No crashes here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t remember the last time it crashed for me :shrug:

Same. I use it all the time on my iPad Pro and on my XS MAAAXXX.

I have had times where the Awful Browser lives up to its name and just stopped working and I’ve had to redirect links to Safari (although that seems to have been fixed), but I can’t remember the last time the main part of the app crashed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ulvir posted:

is it just on my phone, or might there be an issue with previously stickied threads still hanging around at the top? it's not too big of a deal in general, but places like byob where stickied threads are cycled pretty regularly, this messes up pretty much everything wrt thread sorting

pic 1: example in grey forums.

pic2: example from BYOB, here you can see how messy everything gets

pic 3: my thread settings in the app. I'm supposed to have unread and bookmarked threads first, but as you can see in pic 2, they're spread all over the place. the one bookmarked thread I have there isn't even on screen

In image 1 you're using the "Forums" tab in the app. The "Show unread bookmarks first" is applicable only in the Bookmarks tab in the app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are we talking about being able to browse non-bookmarked threads?

I can browse through them no problem. No having to do all this "parent" stuff.

I have an XS Max, iOS 13.5.1, Awful 4.3 to add a data point.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding and Kramer'd in on a different issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A screenshot would likely help, even if it's of a blank list. Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Charles posted:

If only we had Android phones! You don't have to uninstall to clear all settings 😂

Yeah, but then I'd have an Android phone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

Replicated on an 11 Pro Max, iOS 14.2, whatever app version is current on the App Store. (Just checked, 5.3 with no update available)

I can upload images saved from web sources, so it seems like it’s specific to photos taken on the phone... also saving images as the heic thing.

Have you tried using the Imgur upload shortcut? That bypasses the app entirely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

Didn’t know that someone made a shortcut for that, I’d give it a shot if someone has a link.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was for HEIC to JPG. I thought it was a problem with uploading to IMGUR in general.

The only iOS native facility I know of to go from HEIC to JPG is exporting to a folder on a cloud drive.

This link below recommends an app, but YMMV

https://www.guidingtech.com/convert-heic-to-jpg-iphone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm looking at my short cut and sure enough it has a "convert" action set to JPEG.

Trevor Hale posted:

Similarly does anyone have a gif to imgur shortcut?

I'm not sure if you want to convert to GIF or just upload as GIF. If it's just uploading, you can change the format the shortcut uses in the Media snap-in.

Unrelated but I also highly recommend the shortcut "Police". It will turn brightness down to zero, pause anything you're playing, send a text to predefined recipients with a message with GPS, start video recording with the front camera, saving vids to the Photo album.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2d68cb1ee7b84f08ace2fd600b9855b5