Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Feature request: Double tap a post to jump to the end of that post

long posts and their quotes are killin me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The Dave posted:

I wonder if figuring out an easy pattern to collapse a quote helps solves this instead of muddying up the touch areas of a post itself. Could be as simple as a caret in the top right of the quote bubble.

Yeah, this was my original thought, but then I figured:

1) It's not just quotes that I want to skip. It's regular huge (on mobile) posts as well
2) Having the toggle at the top of a post means that I'd have to scroll back up after reading a little but then decided that the post was longer than anticipated. Like if a long article was shared and was interesting at first, but actually I'd rather move on.
A gesture that's always available on posts would solve that.
3) Manipulating posts and quotes may be more technically difficult than an anchor link activated by a gesture?

Of course, I'd appreciate any solution :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

hey, so i've been working on the double tap feature i requested :v:

not ready to submit to github yet, but it's working exactly how i wanted

https://i.imgur.com/FEzev9H.mp4

i've never done ios stuff before, so will defs need a code review

commie kong fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 14, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, I was going to do a toggle. I've read QCS before

16-bit RDRAM posted:

What function did you use to scroll the content? If it has an animated flag, can you try setting that to true?

E: nicely done btw, I've added a few small things over the years and the codebase structure wasn't super intuitive to me. For an ios noob this is impressive :cheerdoge:

I'm using plain old scrollTo and behavior is already set to "smooth". But it's so fast that it's almost just a jump.

My first approach was to use scrollIntoView(false), which seemed perfect as it scrolls to the bottom of the element. But it doesn't accept an offset, which I need to compensate for the bottom menu.

So then I wasted ages trying CSS things that add scroll buffers that feed into scrollIntoView, like scroll-margin-top and scroll-snap-margin-top. And their padding counterparts. But none of that worked for ios, so now I'm calculating sizes of posts.

Since scrollIntoView was my only reason for scrolling in the javascript part, I think I'll just return my offset to the swift part and do the scrolling there. That should be more animated

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Posted a PR :toot:

It now animates just like the "Scroll to End" option and I put it behind a toggle that defaults to off. Doing the calculations in swift now, rather than javascript. It works, but i expect to be corrected on the variable types I used or something regarding that. I struggled with it.

I tried adding light haptic feedback for the double tap, but found it annoying since I was tapping and feeling it all the drat time. So I removed that lol

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The Dave posted:

You can swipe down on the title bar to dismiss the editor, it’s the same pattern from the mail app.

I was typing the commit message for my second PR when I saw this lol

It does work as you describe in Awful. My stock mail app on 14.4 doesn't work that way tho. It has a Cancel button and ignores swipes.

My PR adds a Continue Replying button at the top, since I thought a separated Cancel button at the bottom looked bad. But that's how the mail app does it, so :v:

Not precious about this change going in or not

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Ahh, new mail message vs reply is different. Good to know

edit: Actually, swiping down doesn't cancel the email reply. It just sneakily hides it at the bottom until you open it up and hit Cancel. lol

E: testing video paste
testing complete

commie kong fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 14, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Necronormiecon posted:

I can’t use the App from a Russian IP (have to do it via a VPN). I guess this is intentional? Sorry for all the hacking.

Can you access the forums via phone or desktop browser? I'd think it's either cloudflare blocking Russian IPs or Russian ISPs blocking SA/cloudflare.

I did a code search for "russia" and only found an html file of a d&d post from 2012. Don't think the app is the issue

The Dave posted:

Yeah that's really of the point of it, you can dismiss it if you need to copy something or reference something else while composing, then you can bring it back — it's actually kind of nice.

Yeah, I thought it was neat and I'll be using it for sure. But I did think it was cancelled the first time I did it

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Edit: lol i see now that the Delete and Save options are in a different order compared to the mail app. That's how this app originally was, but will change

commie kong fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 11, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

pokeyman posted:

Awful falls apart in the face of captchas or other Cloudflare bits, so if you're seeing those in the browser then that's my guess. I'll add it to the list, we really should handle it, though at the moment I'm not totally sure how to test possible fixes.

It can be tested using a VPN to Russia/China. Not sure where would be best to detect a Cloudflare hcaptcha interruption tho. Or how to store and utilise the cookie that keeps Cloudflare sated for however long.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Warbird posted:

Bug(?) time: When using a keyboard with the app, a down press results in a pleasant “glide” transition downwards. However, pressing up makes the screen “jump” to the next scroll point or the like; no transition.

I've submitted a fix for this :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Hate to ask, but have you guys enabled it in the settings?

Works on my XS and I’ve tested using a 12 Pro Max simulator

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Oh I think I know what’s going on.

You’re holding it wrong.

Actually, Pokeyman fixed some of my amateurish code, so it doesn’t work as the video posted earlier. It’ll only work on posts where the footer is offscreen.

If it’s a short post then the footer is visible, so nothing will happen.

And it doesn’t go up

I actually like it now because there’s less room for error and it’s mostly useful for long posts & quotes, which was the original intent anyway

spanky the dolphin posted:

Can we make just the user name act as a button rather than the whole space horizontally to the right? I’m currently double tapping in that blank space and it brings up the menu instead of jumping.

Hooray, another easy task for me
I've submitted a change that limits the display of this menu to the username and the avatar. Long press on avatars works as before.

commie kong fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 12, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Can you link a specific post so I know we’re looking at the same thing?

Just keep in mind that you asked for this
:nws: nut jar

e: Oh, I should have done the edited quote thing

commie kong fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 14, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Data Graham posted:

I'm sure this has been noted before, but Youtube URLs of the form:

https ://youtu.be/PDy5Jmb8bmw

... do not get converted to [ video] tags by Awful, but instead become [ url] links. Awful then shows the video inline as a video, but if you view that same post on desktop, it's just a link. So if you're only viewing it in Awful, you'll never know there's a problem unless you look at it on desktop.

This is kinda annoying because that's the URL format given by the iOS Youtube app's sharing pane.

When I go Reply > [ video ] > Paste, it pastes a link like this: [ video ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDy5Jmb8bmw[ /video ]

Then when I quote that post it looks like: [ video type="youtube" ]PDy5Jmb8bmw[/ video ]

Do you have "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" enabled in your settings?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

ahh ok

yeah, if you do manage to paste between the tags, the app converts it to a full youtube link. You can just post it like that and I think it's SA that reformats it. I tested this on a post of mine from the last page before replying to you

That whole menu is a bit annoying and I don't think you can dismiss it without selecting something, either.

A second menu option for "Paste" pops up for me after "[video]" if I have the youtu.be link in my clipboard.

https://i.imgur.com/vMb0j26.mp4

This looks good: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-mails-new-formatting-attachments-toolbar-ios-13-for-rich-text-document-scanning-more-0202173/

commie kong fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 14, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Hed posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762868&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=323#post512491619

Both the image and the quoted one, if I long press and copy, then paste into iMessage, only the first frame will send over iMessage.

I feel like sometimes I can get it to transfer the full thing? Obviously copying the URL will cause the other communicant to fetch the image but I used to be able to paste in.

Holy crap, I have a fix for this.

Will clean it up and submit after testing a bit more

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

So the gif copy fix is pending review on GitHub.

I wanted to post again cuz I’ve 90% sorted the fact that the image viewer redownloads images every time it’s opened. It now loads from cache instead. No spinner at all when opening up that goddamn mr freeze gif for the billionth time, which I’m sure we can all relate to.

The remaining 10% is error handling :v:

I’m also trying to prevent the text selection that occurs when long pressing images, which forces you to dismiss the little “Copy | Look up | Share” menu that appears.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

commie kong posted:

So the gif copy fix is pending review on GitHub.

I wanted to post again cuz I’ve 90% sorted the fact that the image viewer redownloads images every time it’s opened. It now loads from cache instead. No spinner at all when opening up that goddamn mr freeze gif for the billionth time, which I’m sure we can all relate to.

The remaining 10% is error handling :v:

I’m also trying to prevent the text selection that occurs when long pressing images, which forces you to dismiss the little “Copy | Look up | Share” menu that appears.

I'm still having fun with cache.

Had to cut this vid down by 10 secs for imgur. Before it starts, I clear my cache and enable "Always Animate GIFs".

I replaced the "You cleared 0MB" alert message with... something else. :v:

https://i.imgur.com/1PX4J7r.mp4

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for the love of god please have spoiler tags also break tweet embedding on the app

awright

edit: err some godzilla spoiler i guess?

https://i.imgur.com/GgmqzSD.mp4

commie kong fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 26, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Is there anyway we can get the option to save videos that are imbedded? Such as,

Long press brings up copy url and it would be awesome to save it so I can send it from my camera roll.

I’ve created a branch that’s not pretty, but it works. Will try to improve it before submitting a PR tho

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I was able to reproduce the missing Save thing by going into “Screen Time”, Content and Privacy Restrictions, Photos and changing the setting for Awful in that list

Maybe try that?

Edit: never mind lol

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

I wonder if it's because we normally only request permissions when selecting an image to include in a post...

Nah, it does prompt for permission the first time you save images from posts. You're right tho, I don't see any explicit requests or checks for permission except for the Imgur stuff. We have a plist entry for it... Maybe that's enough?

I added a check in the Save Video thing I did earlier because I'm currently doing Noob101 training :v:

I recently finished reading the project.log thread. Makes me sad I missed the heyday of development interest, but it was cool to see everything take shape. Spanky's throbbers and icons are defining and I've always admired them :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Adding a branch where ur posts are replaced with ascii penises for every app user except you :evilbuddy:

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I did a Mac Catalyst build for fun. Wonder how pokeyman would feel about supporting an entire new range of devices? :v:

P.S. Midjack, I’m sorry. I was testing your issue and yep, it exists. Couldn't find an "unignore" option in the app haha

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Oh interesting. I had to change a few things to get it to build and not crash when I entered settings. I did enable "Optimize interface for Mac" tho, so maybe that's why

It is pretty cool :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

spanky the dolphin posted:

Here's an idea I just had, no idea of the implementation or if it's possible.

What if you could look through your awful image cache - like it'd present a grid of the jpegs and gifs (excluding avatars) stored on your device. I often think of an image I saw in the app that I want to share later but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I was imagining an interface like in the messages app when you hit the info button on a contact.

Haha I had exactly this idea while playing with cache and making all images cached using Nuke. I really need to finish that and submit it

I think it’s definitely possible and a good idea. Also having the imageviewer swipe left & right to see all images on the current page. Maybe with the post as a dismissible overlay, like Twitter

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just noticing an annoying feature in the latest update: sharing an image from the meme thread now shares a link to the image on imgur now, rather than just sending the funny picture to the recipient.

I know it’s still possible to copy the image and paste it into Messages or wherever, but the share sheet was a lot more convenient for bombarding my family with memes. Is there any way to reverse the change? Or is it some bullshit imgur has pulled?

Can you link to a post with an image that does this?

Also, are you saying that you copy images without entering the image viewer pop up and using the bottom right icon that brings up Copy URL and Copy Image options?

Or are you selecting a different option to send a selected image to another app?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Awesome, thanks. Will look into it!

Unfortunately, not much you can do unless you join beta (pm Pokeyman an email address to see if he can add you) and install a previous build (5.5) using TestFlight, which is the beta app manager.

Even if it gets fixed quickly, the change has to go through beta and then App Store approval.

But if you join beta you’ll be able to help test the fix :)

E: fwiw I replicated the issue by switching builds in TestFlight

commie kong fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 8, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Thanks for the pointer towards the right direction. I'll have a crack at it :)

Also, I posted the below re: twitter embeds in the middle of a terrible QCS thread. Might as well share it here. Was your idea custom embed html+css? Cuz I've been thinking the same, but would take some thorough testing for all the different possible media types, I think

A month or so ago, I went down the path of changing the way the app embeds to the iframe way. Then I ended up adding a lazyload polyfill so that the entire view wasn't waiting for all the iframes to load before becoming interactive.

Then I realised that I'd put in a crappy solution for a problem that I myself created and scrapped it. lol.

commie kong posted:

Twitter makes it hard to share images and videos from their site without using their embeds. There's a lot of content that's Twitter only, or news that breaks on twitter. And we need to post about breaking news immediately.

Also, it provides for embedding tweets + 1 response, which is obvs the classic setup and punchline format.

So I don't think removing twitter would be a popular move at all, regardless of Twitter's quality level.

If tweets are truly offensive, install an ad-block (with default settings, probably). Perhaps there's even a way to configure it so that they only block tweets within certain forums?

Regarding the annoying referral links: (e.g. ?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1377982248272719881%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3964084userid%3D0perpage%3D40pagenumber%3D3) - I don't think there's any way to prevent it while using embedding methods that rely on twitter.js for rendering.

Twitter offer a few ways to embed. The easiest way is to load their javascript, which searches the page for twitter links and creates iframes for each embed.

An alternative method is to pull Tweet json from the oembed api, as described here.

This gives you html elements that you can insert into the page DOM without iframes. However, in order to render it as a tweet (with images/video and formatting), you still need to zap each container using twitter js, which will add the annoying referral share links and whatnot.

I think the only way to avoid this would be to create a custom renderer for the html retrieved from the oembed api. This would need to handle displaying and sizing images, videos, media cards and whatever else Twitter provides by default. So it would be non-trivial and likely imperfect. But you'd be able to define the Share URL without added referral crap.

(As a side note, if you ever see unformatted tweets on awful.app, the tweet itself has probably been deleted, but the html retrieved from the api being used has been cached on your device. With iframes, the content is not cached and there are other loading/performance costs incurred, so the way the app does it is good imo.)

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The only reason I post Twitter links is because Twitter itself embeds the linked article's banner image and headline, which makes it possible to figure out, at a glance, if it's something interesting enough.

If SA itself could do that embedding when a link is posted (similar to many chat apps), we frankly would not need Twitter embeds.

I think SA users may react poorly to rich link embeds appearing in posts, but if SA wanted to do it then there are services like https://iframely.com/, with a free github version here. Not recommending this specifically, just using it as an example.

It would take us further away from web 1.0, tho. And it would fill pages with even more javascript and iframes, which sucks. Perhaps there's a way to do it without iframes, but it would take some effort without an existing library.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I just fumbled my phone and removed a bookmark, and then shaking it didn’t let me undo that. Am I misremembering or did that used to be a thing?

Works for me. Do you have it enabled in iOS Settings > Accessibility > Touch ?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

`Nemesis posted:

what's up with filter by tag?

Do you mean the blue generic ones? All awful.app tags are custom made to correspond with SA tags. Generic ones are used when the app doesn’t have a matching one

b_d posted:

minor bug: sometimes when i go to a thread with a couple new posts, i can’t get the bar at the top (with “previous posts” etc) to appear no matter how i scroll up and down. if i pull all the way up to refresh then it works normally afterwards.

Yeah, I’ve seen this a few times and got it just now. Found that swiping left enough to peek at my bookmarks but not enough to navigate, then releasing the peek sorts it. After doing that, scrolling all the way up the posts view makes it appear. Once it has appeared, it will pop up as expected while scrolling up from any position.

Not a workaround at all. Just providing more info.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

I tried once but for some reason they wouldn't trigger. I'll try again soon.

hell yeah

if it helps at all, below is where i was playing with it. i had the opposite problem where it fired too much

code:
// PostsPageView.swift (line 120)

didSet {
    Log.d("refresh control transitioned from \(oldValue) to \(refreshControlState)")
    // armed(triggeredFraction: 0.00653594771243019) to armed(triggeredFraction: 0.0032679738561972615)
    guard let newValueAsDouble = parseToDouble(str: "\(refreshControlState)") else { return }

let z = Double(floor(1000 * newValueAsDouble) / 10)
    print("newValue as Double: \(z)")

if (z > 2.0){
    if #available(iOS 10.0, *) {
        let generator = UIImpactFeedbackGenerator(style: .light)
        generator.impactOccurred()
    }
}
I did manage to slow the frequency at some point, but never successfully made it into a single controlled event. The above will just rumble like a game controller

I think the below would be nice:
- 1 light feedback when hitting the bottom of the last post (lets you know you are at the end of the page and to cool it with the scrolling)
- 1 light (or harder?) feedback when the pull to refresh trigger has been finally activated

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Keith Atherton posted:

IMHO this would be annoying as hell

Haha fair enough. I tried it and liked it, but will never insist on something making it into the app proper

E: that’s what debug versions are for :v:

commie kong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 26, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The testflight version is the same as the App Store version (5.6) so just install that over the top.

Just did it myself and no issues

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

So I changed the ui on a whim, everybody. Enjoy!

Just kidding. I created a new theme. There are a bunch of themes, dummies. We can leave the main OLED one alone.

So this doesn’t match spanky’s screenshots exactly just yet. Need to tweak padding some more and realign the date, I guess. (The date format isn’t part of the theme, I’ll admit. We can have robust discussions over whether that should be a new setting or standard, if ya like)

Anyway, spanky deserves his own theme for giving us the alternative icons and throbbers :)

Also, playing with themes revealed an issue where the top and bottom bars had a grey line, even when no line was set. Happy to have sorted that at least

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, I wasn’t going to touch dates at all, but they’re already being parsed into date objects and all I had to do was change the dateStyle from .short to .medium in order to see how it looked

Edited dates would require new parsing of post bodies and updates to the stencil, which is a bigger change.

The navbar hairline removal is the only part I actually really like haha.

I’m happy to make changes to a separate experimental theme tho. Maybe it becomes another rarely used theme in the list or maybe it never reaches beta. That’s alright. In any case, it won’t impact anyone.

Even posting about ideas for potential change is quite offensive, I know…

commie kong fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 1, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is certainly my preference - in this bold new era you should expect the forums to change. The app should be as thin a wrapper as possible that provides a mobile-friendly ui around the interface that exists, rather than trying to make its own policy. A simple example (from android, don't have iOS to test) is the edit post button - right now my understanding is the app has logic that says "is this my post? If so, let me edit it". Instead it should look for the edit post button in the html and display it if the forums do. This lets us play with the "edit post" policy (mods? wiki posts? the sky is the limit) and the app transparently gets the updates. Dates should be the same way - just show what the forums show.

It sounds like the ideal for you would be if the app just rendered the entire forums HTML as-is with no parsing at all.

That’s understandable, since you have multiple third party concerns in mind with every potential change you want to make, but using the forums with a native, purpose built mobile application is what makes it so nice to use in the first place.

It’s not just the layout and theme. Using OS features/controls to interact with and present any websites data is a much better experience than even the most mobile friendly website. In lieu of an api, that does necessitate parsing. Even with an api, we’d still be reimplementing views and controls.

I hope the apps aren’t becoming too much of a concern. Maybe we could test them against the dev environment before any big changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

astral posted:

I believe his message was meant to be more along the lines of "display an edit button if the page has one" rather than "display the page's edit button if it has one. I can't imagine he has any complaint about native controls, the appeal of using an app to begin with.

Yeah I hope not :v:

I interpreted “thin wrapper” as a plain web browser with the forums address locked into it.