Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Just a heads-up that I plan to fix the thing where the forums are turning the 'original breadcrumbs' navigation into the 'redesign breadcrumbs' navigation with the fancy hover menu using javascript for some reason instead of just outputting the redesigned version to begin with.

:siren: If you have a third-party app or script that relies on the current breadcrumbs structure sent in the initial document you may need to alter it! :siren:

Tentatively, the goal will be for the forums to spit out HTML nearly identical to the result of the JS, but we'll see how well that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Thank you, appreciate it!

I think this particular change won't cause Awful.app any problems. Appropriately broad selectors ahoy.

Glad to hear. Also purging that hidden globalmenu div at the top, and I can't imagine anything would rely on that existing* but dropping a note just in case.

*SA's mobile.js (part of the 'mobile stylesheet') relied on it existing. :gonk:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fartknocker posted:

EDIT: Maybe related, maybe not, but after making this post, this thread still remained buried in the middle of my bookmarks thread, even showing me as the most recent post there, rather than moving up to the top. :shrug:

That is an expected forums thing, from what I understand. Fixes itself relatively quickly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

That is intentional. Their user name was given that treatment on the actual forums several years ago because they used to always post in QCS asking when 3D browsing would be enabled on the forums. I added it to the app css to match. I almost never browse the forums anywhere but the app anymore, so I have no idea if they still have that on the site.

3D browsing was removed a while back. Feel free to also remove it from the app. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Midjack posted:

This is a problem with the site, instead of appending to the existing list it discards it and then adds all the names again to a new list, and if one of your existing ignored names has become site staff since you added them you can’t make any changes to your ignore list until you remove the site staff from your list.

You can add people without editing the list (the button in user profiles works like this) but radium removed the function that directly removes someone from lists. :iiam:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Note: I am not a real supermod, but the presence of that role-supermod class should be sufficient for your detection.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

Is there a standard icon for supermods? I don't think we distinguish staff any other way than the icon so it'll have to be done via an icon unless we revamp the way we display that info.

Yeah, Kirby colored star - you can see it when you showpost a supermod post since that view does not yet support custom icons.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Right.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There is a new star if you folks want to support that one too.

It can be seen here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=509124688

At some point I imagine we'll get the Apps forum going again, which should make communicating these things easier.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There are 3 new bookmark star colors, accessible through the 'experimental features' option. I'm hearing that this breaks things in the iOS app: bookmarks with the new colors do not show up.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I am a dumb person, what are Live Photos and where do I turn it off?

https://www.macworld.com/article/3389743/how-to-disable-live-photos-on-your-iphone-or-ipad.html

astral
Apr 26, 2004

devs:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944917#post510047197

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

which I guess we wouldn’t want to do for GIFs.

Or PNGs.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

What do bookmark colors even do on the website anyway? Why do I want a green star instead of a gold one? I always assumed it was to be able to put custom flags on bookmarks, but without a way to sort the flags that feels like an incomplete feature. (Or maybe that's actually possible and I just don't understand how to use them.)

If you have the 'Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned' forum option enabled, it highlights the whole thread in thread lists rather than the only difference being the star color. This lets you (barring exceptional circumstances) easily differentiate between your different-colored bookmarks. My impression of the whole thing was that you could assign whatever meaning you want to the different colors. Maybe one color represents a forum a thread came from; maybe it marks threads as "I'd like to read these first". Maybe it means something completely different.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

• The "bookmarked threads" page doesn't say which (sub)forum the thread is in, so we'd have to fetch that info for everything. Doable, though I try not to hit the Forums with too many extra requests compared to someone using a browser.

The forums might be able to expose this for you; I'll make a note to look into it.

Still would have that multiple-pages issue, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could be that vB uses your first username as the static name for your account, and if you pay to 'Change Username' all it's actually doing is changing a Display Name. This is how Invision Power Board works, anyway.

That aspect is still vB2; your display name is your login name.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hey could you guys please update your app's post report reason length? On the site, the report page's input box is at 140 characters currently; from a quick glance it looks like your app is truncating reasons down to 60. Anything between 140-960 would be a fine limit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The site will eventually be updated to have a proper text box with a longer length available; the backend is already set up to handle longer reports properly. If you go too long (over 1k) it'll give you an error message when you submit though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Charles posted:

That explains this, 60 characters exactly :v:

And now we may never know how that report was meant to end.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

No horse in this race, but it looks nicer to me with the faint line between posts; I wouldn't recommend removing them without an option.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think whatever is decided should just be implemented rather than adding more options.

I’m not pushing super hard for the removal of those horizontal lines but I do think that if there is no noticeable navigation loss from removing them they should stay gone. Visually, less is more and the content of the posts will be easier to parse with fewer unnecessarily elements.

Everything bleeds together without them. Having the post date/time on the right, which sucks for reading in a left-to-right language to begin with, does not do enough to distinguish mid-thread whether it belongs with the post above or below it.

e: Again, no horse in the race, but if I were a user of an app that suddenly changed like that with no option, I would be unhappy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Post and edit dates on the same line look good, but again, left-to-right language. Post times should be (stay?) on the left.

Displaying times themselves as 12h (AM/PM) or 24h is an option on the forums, and IMO if you're gonna change something about that, the app should either reflect the forums option directly or be able to optionally convert from whichever the user has currently selected.

No preference on the date display format, myself, but that also strikes as a good candidate for an option. The forums time handling will be eventually improved to have more options (I don't believe we even have date format selection yet), real timezones instead of hacky offsets and DST handling, etc. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

commie kong posted:

It sounds like the ideal for you would be if the app just rendered the entire forums HTML as-is with no parsing at all.

That’s understandable, since you have multiple third party concerns in mind with every potential change you want to make, but using the forums with a native, purpose built mobile application is what makes it so nice to use in the first place.

It’s not just the layout and theme. Using OS features/controls to interact with and present any websites data is a much better experience than even the most mobile friendly website. In lieu of an api, that does necessitate parsing. Even with an api, we’d still be reimplementing views and controls.

I believe his message was meant to be more along the lines of "display an edit button if the page has one" rather than "display the page's edit button if it has one. I can't imagine he has any complaint about native controls, the appeal of using an app to begin with.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I understand, astral is overhauling the attachment system and the app will eventually switch to the new one.

The first bit is an 'eventually' too. There are still a lot of fires to put out first. :sweatdrop:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you're talking about determining which rating image is used, the forums use PHP's round function.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, is there a burn down chart or a thread or whatever around for folks to rubberneck the beating of the site into submission?

The technical forum has a thread that is sometimes updated after things happen:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952750

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

Preemptive apologies to the IYG mod who has just gotten several reports of my last post for the extremely scathing reason of "test"

I'd recommend using the App Dev forum for such testing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I demand credit in your app for my sacrifice

New thread subtitle.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

it seems kinda weird to have buttons for years and not do anything with them.

Nothing wrong with that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

b_d posted:

yeah, it crashes immediately upon choosing the image. i think i can reproduce it consistently, i'll try it on my phone after posting this.

oh, another thing, there should be a way to see sent DMs. it's especially confusing because it appears to show an icon on messages that you've replied to, but no way to see your replies. unless i'm missing it.

(more of a wishful thing would be showing whole threads based on the user + ["Re: " +] subject. but this should be a feature on the site itself too, maybe that should happen first)

On the website, sent items are saved to the Sent folder if you have selected to save a copy there. You can also create and use additional PM folders and organize your PMs into those folders.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

b_d posted:

right, I know you can see sent DMs on the site; I meant I also wish you could see them threaded on the site. obviously not a high-priority feature.

I was elaborating to make sure that, in case it is not currently possible to see other PM folders (including "Sent") in the app, any addition would support arbitrary folders too and not just "Sent". :)

e: The thing about PM threading has a feature request thread already, for reference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Can't speak for the app, but:
If you followed a noseen=1 link (for example, the kind from the leper's colony or search), the forums won't record any read progress on the page you visit unless you manually navigate to a different part of that thread yourself. On the forums side, we plan to eventually add a tiny note at the top of any noseen=1 page to clarify that this is happening, so there is no confusion.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I did notice that there have been a lot of NWS-tagged reports for things that were not NWS lately; an app bug would certainly go far to explain that. Glad someone was able to figure out why that might be happening, because it was very confusing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

lmao oops it's probably not working right since it's not like i can test it or anything. how does the checkbox work on the background? what's it looking for to decide it's NWS or not?

When an HTML checkbox input element is not checked, that input is not supposed to be included with form submission. I took a quick peek and it looks like you're sending a value even when it's meant to be unchecked.

e:f;slightly beaten by your edit

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

That's not always really evident from an API design perspective. I'll make the change.

Less an API thing and more the nature of how <input type="checkbox"> works. No worries; appreciate the fix! :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

Ok, verified in the debugger that we should be sending the parameters you expect based on the toggle. Let me know if you want me to do a test report somewhere that actually goes through.

Sounds good; feel free to report something in the Apps forum as a test if you'd like.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It went perfectly. Thanks again!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My understanding is that is why pokeyman was added as a forum IK in project.log, and if someone else needs to be a thread IK in an apps forum thread to see/test buttons that's not a big deal either.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I realize that it probably doesn’t display in this screenshot but the post time and join date are practically unreadable when using the oled dark theme and using a really low brightness. They could stand to be kicked up a few notches IMO

The font there seems to be both extremely thin and a bit too dark. IMO they should be brightened up a bit as a first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm very curious about the motivation for having app settings rely on the cookie to begin with. :psyduck: