Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

El Burbo posted:

I don’t think I’m supposed to see these

If it happens on the browser version enjoy your new modship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if this is related to the Lepers Colony links not going back to the original post but something similar appears to be broken

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1

Tapping on the links in the OP that go to posts later in this thread return a "Post Not Found" error. It works properly in the browser version

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

iajanus posted:

Still can't upload images (getting -1 response from imgur regularly). Latest version and ios. anything I can provide to help with this issue? Tried deleting the app and clearing the cache to no avail.

I fixed this by using an image editing app (Art Studio Lite - I'm sure there are many more) and saving the file in that app. Changes the file format to something the app likes. You've got plat so you can bypass imgur

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Press and hold for the Select-Select All-Paste etc menu that appears. Tap the arrow at the right and it will have an option to choose [img]

Then you can choose "From Library" and pick a photo in the photos on your phone

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Crime on a Dime posted:

Is it possible to add access to the "Users browsing" that's normally at the top of a forum?

Where would that option live? Long press on forum header when looking at the top level of a forum?

Just my 2 cents but I like that the app is uncluttered and lets me do 95% of forums stuff on my phone. The full browser site is still there for the other 5%

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I like preview because I can fix all my bb code mistakes at once rather than hassling with going into edit mode repeatedly

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zesty posted:

You’re quite toxic about it. Perhaps going outside every once in a while might help?

In the future, instead of giving vague snarky remark, you could just give a clear answer or just say the answer was a few posts up rather than “in the thread”.

JazzFlight posted:

Just look back a couple posts on this page. I think the built-in Twitter support is broken, so we'll have to wait for the next Awful app update.

That is what poster JazzFlight did to answer your question

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Trevor Hale posted:

They could make you mod...

Why would you wish that on anyone?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
After long pressing an image to see it full size I find myself constantly accidentally dismissing the image when zoomed in and "scrolling" around the image

I'm not even sure what the dismiss gesture is that triggers that but I always scroll too far in one direction or another and then I'm back in the thread. It would be cool to have it be more obvious what's going on or simply just make it "tap image to bring up the "Done" button to close"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Opening the image in Photos, tapping Share -> Copy, then going [img] -> Paste in the app always works for me

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've been reading some threads with long effort posts and a nice feature would be able to mark a thread as read up to a certain post.

Example, say I'm on page 459 of a thread halfway through there's a huge post next but I don't have time to read it at the time. Next time I load the page I'm seeing page 460 and if I remember to go back to 459 now I have to scroll to wherever I was and the background is blue

Small issue and edge case maybe but my 2 cents! Thanks for all the great work - app is brilliant

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jigsaw posted:

Tap on the three dots in the lower right corner of a post and tap "mark read."

E:fb

Well I'll be

Thanks!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've posted about this before but I have an issue where forums will auto-refresh but the thread list is messed up and there will be dead threads listed. Instead of the standard number of threads on the first page there are like two pages worth and at the end the "pull up to go to next page" doesn't work. Manually pulling down at the top of the thread list to refresh fixes it. Ive only noticed it in GBS and PYF (I know, lol don't read those forums problem solved lol).

Not a huge deal and maybe just me but wanted to report

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Violator posted:

I browse these dead gay comedy forums more than I should, and the Awful app is a big reason why. Thank you for all of the hard work, it's a great app and brings a lot of joy. Or as much joy as being a part of this community can bring. :kiddo:

:agreed:

Thanks for all the hard work and good natured enthusiasm for feedback/criticism

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Is the X thread icon a beta thing? I'm still seeing the blue generic icon:

Just curious

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Running iOS 12 on an old rear end phone and the app is humming along great

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I haven’t seen the bug where a grey box shows up in threads and the app soon crashes since installing iOS 12 and the latest version

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Regular Nintendo posted:

copy the image itself from your camera roll, then in the app open up the copy/paste popover menu, pick [img] and then Paste

This works for me 100% of the time

Need platinum but it works

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve noticed that from time to time lately and the only thing that stops it is to kill the app

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it feels like it needs to be a bit more specific than usual now, but it could just be me so unless others chime in, probably safe to ignore.

I noticed this today as well. I’ve been hitting the back arrow icon because swipe right is too finicky

Swipe seems to register from the very edge of the screen, which is hard with a case that isn’t flush with the screen surface

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

jivjov posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&perpage=40&pagenumber=2461#post489890134

Spoiler at the bottom of that post won't show for me. Literally can't get any to work at all; but that's the one I was looking at just now

It works for me (latest iOS, latest app, iPhone 6)

Just in case it helps narrow down the issue

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Still getting the endless process spinner indicating the app is getting pulling data. Happens whether on WiFi or LTE

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Twitter embeds are loading reliably now which is super cool

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
One thing I’ve noticed WRT the pull for next page distance issue is that if there is only one post on the page the pull distance is noticeably shorter

In other words if I load a bookmarked thread with 13 pages and page 12 loads with only one unread post

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

b_d posted:

didn’t pull for next page used to be a setting? I had it turned off because I love sloppy scrolling and I don’t love getting whisked away from the posts I was looking at.

It’s in Awful 3.4.4

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Love the new pull to refresh/load next page update requiring less distance. My thumb thanks you

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Leave it as is please

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s not just the app

Burt Sexual posted:

There appears to be a Cloud Flare issue. Please stay in your seats and remain calm. Go talk to aunt mable, you never call.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just found out tapping at the very top (where the carrier and time are) scrolls up to the first post on a page

Cool!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

fartknocker posted:

Spoilers, clicking profiles, Tweets, etc., are still maybe 50/50 as I had posted about a while back. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Usually I can reopen a thread and spoilers will work, either by going back to the parent forum or my bookmarks, but sometimes that doesn’t work. :shrug:

iPhone 8, current iOS, blah blah blah

I have the latest app version and iOS version and I’ve never had any of this happen once

I’m using an iPhone 6 - I can’t imagine it’s hardware related but just to help diagnose this

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
[quote="spanky the dolphin" post="4940719

Another idea for last read could be to add a little eye icon to seen posts. You could touch the eye to make it disappear and set your new read position.

[/quote]

Adds unnecessary visual clutter IMO - not a feature that needs to be brought up from the ... options menu for a post

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Thirding thumbs up for the zoom

Being able to zoom in on Twitter pictures without having to open the Twitter app is great

I’m getting the briefly shrunken font size on loading threads with Tweets too

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The monochrome line art hamburger please (if the full color one is a serious suggestion)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pulling up to load the next page if there is only one unread post requires pulling way farther up than doing the action from a page with a bunch of posts

Just a nit I’m picking

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A ^ icon for collapsing subforums would look a lot better. The new one just adds visual clutter without any benefit. The indentation of the subforum name works just fine to show the hierarchy and everyone’s familiar with tree views

Also I like the placement of the plat grenade icon but it was much cleaner without the circle backdrop. Could the app swap between black and white icons based on whether dark mode is turned on or not?

Just my 2 cents - thanks for all the great work!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Dave posted:

I think the one or two people that have hated on the burger can deal with it versus really going down the rabbit hole on settings and preferences.

This

It adds character but is not lol wacky or distracting

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

theadder posted:

Is it possible to make the swipe on the left of the screen to go back more accommodating? I find it much harder to trigger than in other apps.

Yeah I agree with this. It’s such a common action and triggering a swipe from the right edge seems much easier

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
No idea if this is on purpose but I get these from time to time. iPhone 6 latest iOS 12 version

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

Yes, that’s someone abusing Unicode. Look up “Zalgo” on google, or go here:

http://eeemo.net

Well I’ll be damned. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

spanky the dolphin posted:

I hadn’t actually updated my beta and realised you’d already swapped the icons! Nice!

Hey I think we need some copy changes to the menus, they’re a bit unclear in places. Mark unread sometimes displays as just mark, and there are a few different wordings for what should essentially be the same thing.

Here’s what I think could work better:

Poster menu
PM - Message

... menu
Share URL - Share
Mark Read - Read

🍔 menu
Copy URL - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)

Forum thread menu
Link - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)
Mark Unread - Unread

Also when you edit your own post and preview it it should say ‘Edit Preview’ instead of Save the top off the screen.

Finally the Poster hosed around with this... text for an edited post should be dim, small and non-italicised. The same look as the poster join date.

I prefer Mark Read and Mark Unread because Mark is the action

Just having Read and Unread suggests those are verbs