Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
N’thing that pull to refresh/next page takes too long of a swipe on a plus/max sized device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

pokeyman posted:

it's perfect let's ship it

I'd be all over a Catalyst version of awful.app.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Is it possible to set a different link color in OLED dark? The dark blue on black is really hard to read.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I like OLED dark and it’s battery saving power, but I see where you’re coming from on the CSS conundrum. Both the “quoted OP” text and the link need more contrast against black. In the meantime I’ve switched back to regular dark which I used on my LCD phone and liked a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK none of the American (USA) carriers offer free WiFi for surfing.

I think Alaskan does something with T-Mobile for texting or something.

(Currently on a Norwegian flight to the UK using free WiFi).

JetBlue fly-fi is completely free for browsing, apps, etc. the only thing it throttled is video, I think.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Any chance we can get an extra page back/forward mapping to cmd-left arrow and cmd-right arrow? Safari has this has a hidden mapping and it's much easier for one handed operation on a keyboard. Safari supports both cmd-[ ] and cmd-arrows for these operations.

Also, if there's future plans for explicit pointer / gesture support, two finger swipes on trackpads for forward/back would be great too.

Thanks.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 23, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Dumb feature request: an option to suspend animated avatars when the app is in the background or not in focus on Mac OS / iPad. Chews up cycles/power. Or just to stop animating them entirely like the existing animated GIF toggle.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Subjunctive posted:

Does the webview not pause animations that are off-screen already? I thought it did that.

I suppose by “background” I mean a split-view/stage manager window on iPad, or when another app has foreground focus on the Mac. I believe you are correct that animations are suspended when they’re scrolled out of view. But Awful’s CPU usage with a page of non-animated avatars is considerably lower.

And yes, I realize the irony of the request given that I have an animated avatar.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 29, 2022

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It’s mutually assured battery destruction with avatars all the way down.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Fedule posted:

This is an old bug but it seems to still be around. Threads aren't consistently sorting by unread in Bookmarks (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't), and sometimes display with the wrong new post count. Only happens on iPad. Reinstalling fixes it but then it happens again. Is this still on the radar? It kinda defeats the point of sorting bookmarks by unread because I have to check every time if it's missed a thread... or cross check against the iPhone version. Must stress again that in three years I only see this happen on iPad.

This happens on MacOS as well (which is basically the iPad version on the desktop). I noticed it happens if I leave the app open for long periods of time. I’m betting there’s some counter or tracker that goes off the rails the longer the app is open. On iPhone it probably gets out-of-memoried pretty quickly, but iPads (and Macs) have more RAM and ergo it’s probably still resident in memory for a longer period of time.

My workaround has been to quit awful.app on the Mac, wait a minute, then relaunch it, then the counters and sorting are magically working again.

(I’ve also been quitting it when not using it because it lets animated avatars loop constantly when not in focus and it’s shockingly CPU hungry)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Minor request: can the iPad version (and by extension, Mac OS) support right-click (or secondary click on iPad) to bring up a context menu for images so that they can be copied to the clipboard, or that their image URLs can be copied to the clipboard, et cetera? The share page has been crashing on Mac OS for ages and pulling up the share page is a pain in the rear end by itself. I’m tired of quote-drafting to copy a URL to then copy the image to work around it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Subjunctive posted:

I’m interested in why it crashes on macOS too, I’ll ask pokey to dig out some of those crashes. are you reporting them? if so, could you put “for subjunctive” in the crash notes? and are you on beta or store?

we could do a bunch of mouse and keyboard stuff (like cmd-enter to preview/post!) I think but I probably won’t get to it soon, personally. the crash is more likely to get my attention I think!

Yes, I had been, but this time I reproduced it and added a note. I’m not on TestFlight, I’ve been using appstore release. This has been broken for a long time (over a year, I think).

The “click and hold” is not discoverable at all on Mac OS, but I’ve been using enough Catalyst/“iPad apps on Apple Silicon” to know about it. Even if the right-click context menu only brings up the share sheet that’d still be an improvement. Hell, allow double-clicking/tapping to open the image viewer.

Also, while I’m here… when the app is open for a very long time on Mac OS it loses track of unread counts in bookmarks after a certain amount of time. Pulling to refresh often results in negative post counts or zero for threads that I know should have new posts (like USCE). Quitting the app, waiting some amount of time, and then reopening the app usually gets a proper count. I’m guessing this is a caching issue for the user bookmark page because the app gets OOM’d on iOS and it’s not used to being open in the background for very long periods of time. I’m pretty sure I could reproduce it on an iPad if i left it open long enough and the iPad didn’t go to sleep.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 13, 2023

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Here’s a bug on Mac OS:

Use two-finger zoom in or out on a clickable object (spoiler tag, embedded tweet, whatever). Place your mouse cursor over the object, zoom in, and when you finish zooming it will click on the object. This shouldn’t do that. Heck, you can do a pinch-to-zoom on the new post window, which isn’t zoomable, and it’ll start selecting text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The latest awful.app on Mac OS crashes whenever you click on any link in a post. I'm running 14.4. This is on top of share sheets still crashing.

Also, here's a fun visual bug on iOS: If you press the settings button in view post while the screen is inertially scrolling, the setting box has weird growing behaviors. I've recorded a video demonstrating this.

https://i.imgur.com/Jn1eoa1.mp4