Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

teagone posted:

Yeah, Hera still needs to get promoted to General first. Guessing she's gonna do some epic poo poo on Lothal to get that promotion.

As the episode was ending and she said the attack was being planned I was excitedly saying to my computer "X-wings? Yes? :flashfap:"

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuck can next week be here now please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First episode was okay, and i'm on the second one now but holy poo poo Its a loving World Devastator! Okay it wasn't producing droid ties, but it looked exactly like one from the Dark Empire comics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

First episode was okay, and i'm on the second one now but holy poo poo Its a loving World Devastator! Okay it wasn't producing droid ties, but it looked exactly like one from the Dark Empire comics.

Glad I'm not the only one with that thought. I was getting Rogue Squadron 64 flashbacks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Going to hyperspace through not one, but two sets of shields within a spaceship was pretty loving rad.

Same goes for everything inside the hangar getting exploded as a result.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The Recon preview for next week’s episode looks like what we’ve all been waiting for. I think having a smoky mining rig episode lets them save up for a pricey later episode.

Liked Zeb’s Indiana Jones-style fight scene. Impressive that he got back up so soon after getting hit with a gutwrench suplex!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two more good episodes, thats 6/8 this season, not a bad strike rate.

Thread title should probably be changed to 'Dave Filoni really likes wolves.' hyperspace wolves.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 7, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm the only one who liked the Mandalore episodes, but I think that was more because they were Sabine focused and she's always been my favorite character.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I need a loth-cat episode, just loth-cats.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IRQ posted:

I need a loth-cat episode, just loth-cats.

The Star Wars Internet is nothing but loth-cat videos.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Trivia gallery confirming that the ore crawler was indeed directly inspired by the World Devastators from DE, but also that the Indiana Jones references go even deeper than I noticed:

Trivia gallery posted:

The burly guild slave master that Zeb brawls with is named “Proach,” as a nod to Pat Roach, the actor who played the Giant Sherpa and First Mechanic in Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Thuggee Chief Guard in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm still not following why the Empire gave Order 13 to Lothal, is it just because they're moving the industrial operation to the construction derricks in orbit, then strip mining the entire planet below of people and resources to fuel it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rebel Assault Synopsis: "Hera leads a courageous attack against Grand Admiral Thrawn's forces, but when things go awry, her battle to win must become a daring escape if she is to survive."

So it looks like they're going to fail miserably which is a good thing and shows that the Empire isn't a joke like it was in previous seasons

Still, given Rebels' track record, I wonder how many Star Destroyers are going to bite it this time

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Trivia gallery confirming that the ore crawler was indeed directly inspired by the World Devastators from DE, but also that the Indiana Jones references go even deeper than I noticed:

Why can't they just Dash Randar Indiana Jones into Star Wars? Just take away the whip, have him be an archaeologist who knows a bunch of jedi poo poo and have him blast and punch is way through a different type of stormtrooper. Short Round is now an alien. Call him something really stupid like "Corellia Ford" or some poo poo.

I just want Indiana Jones to punch out a bunch of Jedi/Sith before tricking them into being smashed/being eaten by space crocodiles/melting into a skeleton. It would make for at least 1 good episode of a future series.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I haven't read the comics, but isn't Dr. Aphra basically an Indiana Jones knockoff?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm the only one who liked the Mandalore episodes, but I think that was more because they were Sabine focused and she's always been my favorite character.

I like them too, but because Sabine is my favorite character as well. WE BIASED.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

She's a lot more morally dubious/ profit driven.

And rather than Short Round, she has two murderous droids as sidekicks.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cptn_dr posted:

She's a lot more morally dubious/ profit driven.

And rather than Short Round, she has two murderous droids as sidekicks.

Which makes her a slightly more sympathetic Belloq, and that's fine :allears:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

teagone posted:

I like them too, but because Sabine is my favorite character as well. WE BIASED.

Sabine is also my favorite character but I give zero shits about Mandalore and the whole "Oh no my entire family was murdered WAIT THEY'RE OK" was complete bullshit and kind of soured me on that a bit.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Still, given Rebels' track record, I wonder how many Star Destroyers are going to bite it this time

If nothing else, the series is doing a good job in showing why all those smaller, economy-of-force starships the Empire has don't show up in the movies--because they're horrendous liabilities in service.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madurai posted:

If nothing else, the series is doing a good job in showing why all those smaller, economy-of-force starships the Empire has don't show up in the movies--because they're horrendous liabilities in service.

Your avatar could totally have been the lady TIE Bomber pilot in Kindred.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cross-Section posted:

That fight was 100% an Indiana Jones homage. It's in the moves, the staging (gantries above cheering slaves) and most of all, the music. Love it when they do stuff like that.

I believe we're still quite a ways out from Rogue One. The evac order was probably referring to Lothal.

I don't think its referring to a single planet, yet. I think its more Protocol 13 was just implemented in preparation for the Death Star's completion and the Rebellion is now left wondering what the Empire has cooking that could possibly make them want to have a specialized rule for GTFOing everything Imperial from a planet.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I really like the Sabine/Mandalore episodes because it shows that the writers are trying really hard to build their own little slice of canon without being obnoxious. Even if you don't like the Madalorian stuff, you have to respect that they are trying to connect it to the old clone wars show. The episode where Kanan and Ezra train her with the dark saber was one of my favourite episodes. It's great when a show can sit back and say "This episode is all about character."

I have to say, most of the connections they made to the old clone wars show have been really well done.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
As someone who was a fan of the Thrawn books is was pretty cool to see Ruhk on screen.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

As someone who was a fan of the Thrawn books is was pretty cool to see Ruhk on screen.

:aaaaa: I knew the name seemed familiar. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wonder if that means he’ll have the same ending.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Oh poo poo, just found out he was voice by Warwick Davis (Wicket)!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

They really nailed the visual language of Indy fights, which is I guess "guy looks exasperated at how whooped his rear end is getting by a bigger opponent but hangs in anyway." You can tell someone is apeing something well when you can spot the reference without being told.

Love how Filoni is all-in on incorporating old stuff from canon. Lothal kinda feels like a stand-in for Dantooine with the grassy plains and the forgotten Jedi Temple. I wonder if it was ever intended to be Dantooine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

KaLoth Hounds Wolves

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Chickenwalker posted:

Lothal kinda feels like a stand-in for Dantooine with the grassy plains and the forgotten Jedi Temple. I wonder if it was ever intended to be Dantooine.

Lothal is actually based on old McQuarrie concept art of Alderaan.

Capital City on Lothal:

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have to say that Lothal is one of my favourite Star Wars planets. It's one of the few shown that feels like a realistic planet with geography. Having the mountains, cities and grass plains do make it feel like a real place. And that establishing shot of the city with the Star Destroyer hanging there is amazing. Even though it really reminds me of Disneyland

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Burning_Monk posted:

Oh poo poo, just found out he was voice by Warwick Davis (Wicket)!

Much as before with Mark Hamill voicing Darth Bane's ghost on The Clone Wars, I wonder the point is of having a well-known actor record the lines and then distorting their voice all the way to hell and back so that it's virtually unrecognizable.
I mean, voices like George Takei, Clancy Brown, Brent Spiner, Tim Curry, Tom Baker or even recently Seth Green I might recognize and go "huh, that's neat", but would I recognize Hamill and Davis like this? Never in a million years. For those roles they could have hired any schmuck fresh out of acting school for a lot less money.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember being able to recognize Hamil as Darth Bane pretty easily. He sounds like a deeper Firelord Ozai with the Joker's inflection

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mark Hamill's "bad guy" voice is almost invariably the Joker shifted up or down a pitch.

Darth Bane is in the "Ozai" range of this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/927985787848638464

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Evacuate? In his moment of triumph?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
It makes sense, Jedha was a backwater planet subjugated by the Empire who only wanted it for the kyber crystals. Scarif was a full on Empire military planet. It would have taken a lot more time to evacuate that than the one Star Destroyer on Jedha.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is Protocol 13 is supposed to be mandatory or discretionary. I bet I know the answer, given its the Empire :v:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I imagine that even in the best scenario... it's more of a suggestion than a mandate. Basically, the Empire saying "yo, we ARE going to blow up this whole planet whether you're on it or not, so now is probably a good time to not be on it."

They don't really strike me as the types who would dramatically hold off on pushing the button until the last transport is clear.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Generic American posted:

I imagine that even in the best scenario... it's more of a suggestion than a mandate. Basically, the Empire saying "yo, we ARE going to blow up this whole planet whether you're on it or not, so now is probably a good time to not be on it."

They don't really strike me as the types who would dramatically hold off on pushing the button until the last transport is clear.

Appearntly they are supposed to. When Krennic was asked if their all their forces had evacuated and if it was ok to fire, he said yes. (In his thoughts he stated that actually only like 90% had evacuated, but that was within acceptable losses.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Poor Alderaan

• Locked thread