Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Eh? I mean in the shorts for the first season they refer to each other as “Love”.

The same short in which Hera calls Kanaan "love" also ends with the Chopper opening the door as Hera compliments Kanaan in a somewhat flirty voice before the the two of them start leaning in to each other in a way that suggests they're about to kiss. The whole thing is revealed a second later to be them fooling Chopper and pretending they didn't know he made the last shot, but it's suggestive regardless. They're both also sexually opposite members of the crew that regularly play paternal roles and because Hera plays a maternal role while Kanaan plays a paternal role it's easy to assume there's possible something there. It doesn't help that Kanaan got rather flustered about meeting Hera's father in a scene that seems almost pulled from a sitcom, where the guy recently hooking up with a girl is nervous about meeting her father and gaining his approval. I believe Kanaan also expresses interest in Hera during his introductory novel, and that Hera recognizes his attraction but rebuffs him because she's committed to the rebellion/cause rather than because of a lack of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hera at the very least is alive in Rogue One, which is set literally just before A New Hope so she won't die either.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cptn_dr posted:

She could still die at Scarif!

She could, but then the show would need to cover Scarif to portray her death and someone said earlier they've confirmed they're not going too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 25, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fine, they allow the conditions to exist that allow slavery because they can't police the margins of their empire effectively.

That seems like something that's true of any large empire.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And why large galaxy spanning empires are probably a bad idea.

It's only really a bad idea when your empire is larger than your communications and travel technology can swiftly and reliably cover. Distance alone doesn't really cover it, because large empires historically had a lot less territory than a galaxy but often were too large for their own good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

The thing about Rey is she's become a character whose existence in the Sequel Trilogy sends a message of empowerment to everyone; you don't have to come from some sacred pedigree bloodline or lineage in order for you to be something or someone special. She represents the ideology that everyone is special and worth something. You can come from anywhere, from nowhere, and forge your own path towards becoming something great, despite whatever culture or society says.

Like Anakin? Who was a nothing slave on Tattoine and who the Jedi Council refused to accept at first. He wasn't really anything special initially, and only became so when destiny was brought in to equation. Or more importantly, when Qui-Gon died, and they didn't want to refuse his dying request. A destiny Anakin failed to live up to anyway, because he bought in to his own self importance and which it fell to his son to help over turn, not because he was particularly strong in the Force but because he was Anakin's son. Looking at the original movies solely on their own there isn't even that much, because all the destiny stuff is from the prequels alone. Bloodlines and destiny really don't mean much in Star Wars, at least in the movies. The EU definitely got a bit too in to it.

TheCenturion posted:

I have no problem with Rey being a refutation of the Noble Bloodlines of Kenobi, Skywalker and Palpatine. I'd LOVE for Star Wars to get back to the 'Force is part of EVERYTHING' idea. They just pulled it off incredibly poorly.

Wait...when did the Kenobis or Palpatines have a notable heritage?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

The difference is Anakin was "the chosen one" in a prophecy. Rey is not.

Except the prophecy was just a thing used to justify his strength, brought up after his discovery and that may not even have been about him. No-one was going out looking for someone who would fulfill a prophecy. He also failed to become what they had hoped, primarily because everyone told him it was his destiny and he bought in to it. It's also not like The Force Awakens didn't build up Rey as some chosen one, with several hints towards lineage and destiny. That they were discarded doesn't mean much, because so was Anakin's apparent destiny.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Would it honestly make a difference if they were in the movies? The Force Awakens wasn't a dull movie so much because of the events that transpired, but because the plot played out like a rehash of A New Hope. The Sequel trilogy could include all the explanation and world building to let viewers know all this stuff and it would still end up in the same place; with everything laid out exactly as it was 35 odd years ago. Nothing has changed except the actors.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zebulon posted:

Hasn't everything so far been signposting this really loving hard? Last I'd heard the theory is he bites it and Ezra probably goes into hiding.

I doubt it's that simple, since the trailer features Ezra confronting Palpatine's hologram and saying he knows what he needs to do. What he needs to do being "hide" is a bit anticlimactic. Mind you, he could still go in to hiding after whatever he's done, but it still sounds like there's something more he needs to do first.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Chickenwalker posted:

They're all equally canonical, in that they're all non-canonical because they were all released after George Lucas walked away from the franchise.

Are you implying that nothing made after George Lucas sold the franchise to Disney is canonical or something?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NTRabbit posted:

Except she never actually died, and was actually pictured at the end of the episode walking through the sith temple rubble, and I really never got why people were so insistent that she'd died when actual onscreen evidence demonstrated she hadn't

She was walking down a couple of steps in to a doorway, which apparently symbolised a fall. Why descending some steps would be used as symbolism for a fall instead of just having her falling, or why they'd want to symbolise a fall in the first place when she didn't actually become lesser in dying I don't know; but that was the argument here at least.

I also recall some people saying it was a force ghost, which makes no sense since (a) the model wasn't transparent, (b) it had color variation and (c) there'd be no reason for a force ghost to walk anywhere or appear for it's own amusement with no audience.

That said, I do kind of think that was an appropriate end for her character and wish they hadn't immediately walked it back. Either have her die there, or don't tease her dying at all. I also don't like that they used time travel to bring her back, since it kind of ignores that scene of her walking in to a doorway and acts like she would have died otherwise and also cheapen both the scene and the setting in general in my opinion. I get not everyone feels that way, but I do. I would honestly have preferred she just show up with no explanation than it be down to time travel.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pops Mgee posted:

Calling it now they're going to use this webway thing to bring back Palpatine post Return of the Jedi. That explosion/blue flame poo poo that comes out of the pit is actually the door to the webway opening and closing. Get ready for Sheev in Episode: IX :suicide:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons. They appear to be operating a one way street for that. Cartoons use stuff introduced in the movies, but not the other way around.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're replacing all of Leia's scenes with Elsa.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

I would be extremely surprised if the writers on Rogue One came to the scripting stage and said, "I'd like to work in this character from the Clone Wars cartoon TV show I watch." That character BEING Saw is, in effect, an Easter Egg for fans of the TV show.

Yea, I'll be honest, I had entirely forgotten about Saw when making that statement but I wouldn't see him as any major indication either simply because there's very little about him that carries over between the two beyond his name and general role as a rebel. I vaguely recalled reading he was made up for Rogue One too, but that's obviously not true and reading up the Wikia it says that Lucas himself created the character for the cancelled live action show and that the Clone Wars re-used that before Rogue One reused what The Clone Wars had done. So the character is only kind of a Clone Wars cartoon character in the first place.

Madurai posted:

Boba Fett would like a word with you.

I wasn't aware the Holiday Special was a cartoon. Or that Disney ever had anything to do with it.

Teek posted:

That's directed to people saying "Why doesn't Disney do X with the home release". It's not up to them to some extent. At this point I'm not sure what Fox can or can not change. This will apparently change if the Fox catalog purchase goes through.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Lucas included a stipulation in the sale of Lucasarts to Disney that they could never make the prequel trilogy non-canon, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some contractual fuckery preventing them from releasing the original cuts of the first trilogy simply because Lucas prefers the newer cuts and doesn't want blurays of older ones coming out.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 28, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't Clone Wars use and expand on some EU characters like Quinlan Vos among others that had nothing to do with Lucas, and that while Lucas oversaw production of The Clone Wars and participated in much of the planning of it, Filoni and others running it made a lot of the characters themselves with minimal input from him?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DancinBrud posted:

Think this will be classic 2D animation, or cel-shaded 3D? I’d put money on the latter.

It's almost certainly 3D, simply because that's what Filoni and his team are comfortable with after two shows at this point so why rock the boat? Plus, it'd be easier to get ships consistently right using 3D models than 2D cels. That said, I nurture a little bit of hope it's 2D animation simply because the logo has 2D animation and the announcement mentions anime as an inspiration. That, and that there's some Wraith Squadron DNA mixed in to the show because that's some of the best Star Wars stuff to my mind. Weird alien pilots, covert ops behind enemy lines, extended undercover ops and so on would be cool and it sounds like there's a chance of that given their remit will be to spy on the First Order.

Lorak posted:

Well, I know it won't be this, but man, if only it were...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

I'm gonna go against the grain and say I'm glad it isn't. For a man who worships shading "Otaking" has a pretty dreadful handle on it, and all his art looks like it's been washed down with grease or something. Which I suppose isn't surprising given that he started out tracing and with no real artistic training so he's had to work up from almost nothing. Dude's got a hell of a work ethic and passion if nothing else. He's definitely getting better over time, but I've never been a fan of excessive shading and I'd prefer to see expressive characters and dynamic action over it personally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rocksicles posted:

My little brother thinks he's Christopher Columbus when it comes to lore.

What does that even mean? That he thinks he discovered the lore? That other people attribute him as it's discoverer? That he's known for having discovered something several other people almost certainly found way earlier and that entire populations grew up with? That he associates with lore that wasn't even the lore he was looking for in the first place? It seems like you're trying to say "he thinks he know it all when it comes to Star Wars" lore, but I honestly can't figure how Columbus is a good fit for that analogue. I thought you meant Columbo for a second, who still wouldn't be a great fit, since that's more deduction or maybe analysis, but at least it makes some sense. I have no idea how Christopher Columbus fits at all.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 31, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wasn't taking it literally, I was just lost as to what it could actually mean so I was suggesting (but not actually supporting as probable) literal meaning simply to try and find any kind of meaning.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His profession was what was making me question the aim of the comparison in the first place. Any explorer would seem weird. Even now, after receiving confirmation of the meaning, I find it a bizarre way to talk about someone's knowledge of a subject.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 1, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't fail to understand it, I fail to understand why you'd describe yourself or someone else like that. That you do is fine; idiomatic norms (or even exceptions) are part of life. I was just looking for an explanation of meaning and commenting that I found it weird afterwards. I'm sorry that I appear to have annoyed you, but it was just genuinely curiosity on my part.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I'd never even considered it; never mind heard there was any kind of campaign going on. Was it just Filoni badgering Kathleen Kennedy in private or something, because they played that close to their loving chest. That said, Clone Wars and Resistance as well as whatever live action poo poo they have planned? Awesome. The animatic from season 6 of Anakin doing Gun Kata to a clearly impressed but reluctant to admit it Obi-Wan before they have a conversation about Ahsoka where Anakin asks Obi-Wan how he'd feel if Anakin left the order will finally get some animation and I can't wait. It was already one of the best parts of the show even as a slide show, so seeing it in full production should be great. I hope we also get to find out what Palpatine does with Maul.

That said, I do wonder how much production of this will carry over. Lucas is no longer personally funding it, but at the same time they presumably still have a lot of the 3D models and assets from the show on hand so maybe it won't look quite as good but shouldn't look as barebones as Rebels did at times?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait, this is starting in October? How is there not a full blown trailer for this out? Is there a major con coming up they're waiting for or something? Otherwise I can't see why they didn't release one alongside the Clone Wars one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jivjov posted:

TLJ performed amazingly by every reliable metric

Profit is the main metric that any studio is going to consider, and while The Last Jedi still made 1.332 billion dollars it also made significantly less than The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens took in just over 2 billion, so The Last Jedi made about 35% less than it. Which is a pretty significant step down in terms of profit. Now, you could argue that of course a sequel isn't going to make as much as it's direct predecessor; but the Marvel movies, which are Disney's other big flagship titles at the moment have generally made more money for each title in a franchise so they may be expecting increased profit despite it not being how things generally go. Or at least roughly equivalent profit, since it's hard to top 2 billion really.

Several other recent films have also drawn in that kind of money without nearly the brand power of "Star Wars", like Black Panther (1.346 billion) and the live-action adaptation of Beauty & the Beast (1.263 billion). Marvel Studios is a pretty significant brand of it's own these days, but at the same time most of it's films don't make even close to that amount of money either.

jivjov posted:

Announcing a trilogy helmed by the man behind that film is a fantastic move, and I'm honestly way more excited for his trilogy than I am for Episode IX.

I haven't even seen The Last Jedi and I'm more excited for his trilogy than for Episode IX. I thought The Force Awakens was decent popcorn fun that kept me entertained in the moment, but as soon as I stepped out of the theater I realized there wasn't much about it I actually liked so I decided to just leave the new trilogy alone. Everything I've heard about The Last Jedi makes it sound like a bad follow up to The Force Awakens that mostly drops a lot of the setup that JJ included (even if he apparently had no idea what that setup was leading to himself) in favor of Rian wanting to do his own story. Which I'm not a fan of. I thought a lot of the setup in The Force Awakens was kind of dull, but I'd still prefer to see it followed through on than dropped in favor of someone else's new setup. Especially when JJ might just drop that new setup to go back to his own in Episode IX. At the same time though, a lot of the new stuff Rian did sounds cool enough that I think he'll make a great new trilogy of his own.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NTRabbit posted:

Largely mediocre to bad EU writers found myriad ways to make it work, so it can't have been that much of a corner.

A lot of the EU covering that period (or any other period) is poo poo, but I do like the general trajectory those works present of a much more gradually weakening Empire in proportion to a gradually empowered Rebellion where the death of the Emperor didn't mean much on it's own and was only one important victory in a series of other important victories like the capture of the Imperial homeworld, Coruscant and the defeat of Admiral Thrawn who was one of the new major rallying points of the Empire at that point to further degrade their control and morale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
JJ Abrams is in charge of Episode IX and there's already talk of him walking back the revelations regarding Rey's parents so while Last Jedi won't get remade, it might be ignored.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cptn_dr posted:

When you say "talk of", is there anything with actual credibility, or is it just a million lovely thinkpieces?

I just recall seeing an article mentioning that it's possible months ago. I can't find anything on a quick Google, beyond Rian Johnson saying it's possible JJ Abrams will do it since he's in creative control now and another saying John Williams hopes Abrams does apparently. It's entirely plausible that I read something akin to that first article of Johnson saying Abrams could do it if he wanted and it got mixed up in my head over the months since.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

IRQ posted:

That's dumb as hell and completely implausible but if that's what they're going with then everyone in the star wars universe is so oblivious it means the zerg could be literally right next door without anyone noticing and I guess that would breathe some new life into things.

Sounds like the Yuuzhan Vong really. An earlier EU writer tried to introduce some invaders from a neighbouring star system before that in Truce at Bakura too.

General Dog posted:

That sounds like one less flaw to me

Is that you Karen Traviss?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cargohills posted:

You could just find/replace Luke with Yoda and you’d also have the most brain dead possible criticism of Empire.

I haven't see Last of the Jedi to how applicable the complaint is or isn't to that film, but I don't think it's true in Empire at least. Yoda starts off by showing Luke how much bigger the Force is than Luke had thought and that it's less about a singular being than about the field surrounding everything by lifting the X-Wing easily despite it's size, then Yoda trains Luke by making him run around and do absurd physical things without which he presumably wouldn't be capable of using the Force to augment his jumps on Cloud City to escape the Carbonite trap or possibly survive his fall through Cloud City one handed. There's no texts or anything around that Luke could have used to train himself instead, and without someone or something to train him he'd just be floundering around uselessly with no idea what to do since he had no real experience with the Force to act as a base. As is, he still mostly gets his rear end kicked by Vader on Cloud City and only really survives because Vader didn't want to kill him and Luke himself was suicidally melodramatic enough to leap to almost certain death with only a slim hope of survival following Vader's offer. Without training he'd just have been trapped in Carbonite and brought to the heart of the Empire without no hope of escape.

site posted:

Hey guys remember how clone wars had crazy poo poo like anakin killing the force gods and no one spent dozens of pages overanalyzing it

Good times

I cannot loving wait for a full animated version of Anakin and Obi-Wan sneaking in to a base with no lightsabers and Anakin breaking out some gun-fu to try and impress Obi-Wan before Obi-Wan reluctantly admits what Anakin did is actually kind of impressive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

General Dog posted:

I had no idea people cared so much about Luke Skywalker before the big TLJ backlash

I always preferred him over Han personally, but I usually quite like the simple, heroic protagonist personally. Plus, I liked the mysticism of the Force, thought lightsabers were cool and always preferred the X-Wing over the Falcon. I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars outside a few of the books, games and the cartoons though so I'm not all indicative of the general fan base by any stretch. I don't even particularly like the original trilogy, which is practically sacrosanct. It's okay, but I find it kind of a slog for the most part and the couple of cool moments don't really carry the films for me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ll take a Falcon copycat over a cargo van with a giant wing any day. The Twilight’s design is horrible.

I had to look up the Twilight since I don't even remember it despite liking Clone Wars but I never saw the movie so if it was only really important there maybe that's why. That said, I actually kind of like the design in a "function over form" way. It's not practical looking, but the exterior is so prosaic that it feels like it should be practical. I'd kind of like it just in that sense, especially if the crew expressed distaste for the ship itself at times but continued using it for some defined reason. Plus, the fins remind me of a B-Wing, and the B-Wing is cool. I'd take it over a Falcon knock-off even without some reason for it's design though honestly. I don't even mind the occasional character having a Falcon knock-off, but they're practically ubiquitous and every rogue type character has one at this point so it's overplayed.

twistedmentat posted:

Until otherwise I'm going to keep head canon Ashoka is at least queer.

Is there anything suggesting she's a lesbian or bi-sexual in the show? I don't remember any implications towards sexuality outside Lux so I'm mostly just curious.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DancinBrud posted:

Man, that really is Robotech-inspired.

Not to be a pedant, but you almost certainly mean Macross-inspired, since almost everything widely known or well liked about Robotech is from the Macross third of the sage, while the other two shows (Southern Cross and Mospeada) are almost forgotten and Macek's original elements are barely mentioned in most places. They're not things that are visually perceptible in general either. Not that I can see much of a Macross element in it personally, beyond vague "aliens and spaceships" thing that is generic to most science opera stories.

LongDarkNight posted:

Need to see some art of that white and orange fighter.

I can't quite bring myself to like it. Everything I do like about it is the obvious X-Wing elements (S-foils, general shape) while the nose of the fighter being a blunt end is just ugly. It'd make sense if it was a prop plane, which is probably where Filoni and his team took inspiration going by interview, since a prop would be fixed to the front to break up the lines or even in space since it could be explained as a ram-jet, but all the shots are atmospheric. It's probably not finished either, or at least doesn't look it in most shots.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What part of it seems Robotech inspired out of interest? I'm not going to lie though, I have no intention of checking it out. I didn't even find out Robotech existed until well in to my 20s since it never aired in my country when I was young and I enjoy Macross already. Nothing I've ever heard about Robotech has made it sound like the changes are substantial enough to be worth a watch or interesting in their own right.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 17, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It wouldn't be surprising if they were, since they almost certainly grew up in a time and place where Robotech was airing. Pretty much everything everyone remembers about Robotech is a holdover from Macross though, and the two latter shows included to fill out the episode order are essentially forgotten (in Japan as well as American and Europe) to my knowledge so it's kind of unfair to credit it to Robotech in my opinion. Not that Macek and crew didn't put in some work, but the things people remember aren't their creations so credit where it's due and all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

site posted:

Two women, an alien, no white people

Don't be ridiculous, Neeku is clearly stiff enough to be the token white guy.

NTRabbit posted:

Same as in Star Trek, the physical models usually look way better up until the point where they need to explode, which is where no practical effect can match CG

Are physical props and miniatures just too expensive nowadays to be worth it compared to CGI for most productions? Or is it just a case that it isn't worth the time to make them rather than the monetary investment? I think Terminator II probably has some of the best special effects in movies and it seems to be because it used a good mix of practical effects and CGI, even when the CGI was rather simplistic and early days and the practical effects ensure the whole still holds up regardless of some ropey computer effects.

banned from Starbucks posted:

The main character is a white guy

He definitely looks fairly generically white, but with a name like "Kazudo" I'd assume there's some Asian influence in there. The production team might have played his character design safe and made it kind of Asian/kind of European just in case but I'd say between his name and his VA there's a fairly clear intent.

TheCenturion posted:

Aren’t they literally a racing team?

I hope the show keeps to racing stuff for a while to ground the characters, mostly because I want some stuff that isn't "Rebels/Empire" (or some derivative) in Star Wars and a more "slice of life racing team" story would be cool. Even if they keep the spying stuff to the B plots for a while it'll be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm hyped for Hype!

Same. I loved Donald Faison in Scrubs, and he seems to be bringing a lot of the same energy that made him so enjoyable there to this role so I can't wait to see him. I hope he's got a decent role and isn't just a tertiary character only appearing for a few minutes in a handful of episodes. I do wonder if he had any hand in creating his character though. I know Filoni said he created the character based on Faison, but I wonder if Faison had any hand in refining it through feedback. The decision to make his character an alien seems like something he'd make. I don't even know why I think that; maybe that it allows him to be outlandish and over the top a bit more than a human character would?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The texture stuff feels wrong to me but the models and movement are nice. Needs an ewok pilot imo.

I'm still hoping for an outsized alien pilot at some point too, mostly because I love the idea of a Gamorrean pilot like "Piggy" Sabinring from the Wraith Squadron books. Someone who barely fits in the cockpit and really has no business being there intellectually and/or socially. The Rogue Squad books had an alien called Hohass "Runt" Ekwaash who was bigger than most humans and had to squeeze in to a cockpit, which he could only manage because he was diminutive by his species standards. I just like that kind of stuff. An extra-small pilot like an Ewok using prosthetics to reach the controls would be cool too. Something else the X-Wing books made fun of and which your comment might be a reference to. In which case, "Yub, Yub".

• Locked thread