Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

thrawn527 posted:

See, this is bugging me. I saw Dave Filoni speak at Celebration earlier in the year, and he said that people were always asking about the romance between Kanan and Hera, but that he has never written anything like that between them. And he loved that people read it that way, because it proves you don't have to write a romance for people to see it, or for it to even actually exist on it's own.

Clearly in the last season, he's just saying, "Oh gently caress it, I'll give them what they want."

I'm gonna be honest, I thought they were married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chickenwalker posted:

They'll definitely use him when they kill him off as part of his redemptive arc at the end of the season.

Along with everyone but Chopper because canonically there aren't any Jedi by the time episode 4 rolls around

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tsob posted:

Hera at the very least is alive in Rogue One, which is set literally just before A New Hope so she won't die either.

Ah, I spotted chopper, missed the Captain Syndulla reference

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cptn_dr posted:

They actually just canonized that it wasn't (in the new short story anthology), sadly. Though it was in one of the better stories in the book.

I assume the canonical escape was via magical umbrella?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IronSaber posted:

Apparently, from what I understand, there has been some theorycrafting and rumor mongering going on that says the latter half of the Rebels season will tie in to The Last Jedi somehow. There were some clues from the Battlefront 2 campaign that led to this.

Something about a Compass that Luke finds?

Ezra is Snoke, obviously

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
TFA was OK, TLJ was poo poo and I'm sorry it was the first movie I've bothered going to an IMAX for

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

teagone posted:

I don't know how you could have read the scene like this. The books ultimately don't really mean anything, and Yoda basically tells Luke there's no knowledge in them that Rey doesn't already posses herself.

I don't know how you could hear Yoda's quote as anything other than trolling Luke. There's nothing in there Rey doesn't already possess (cause she stole em lol)

The whole movie was just poorly executed. The fleet drama was undercut by switching to half-assed comic scenes leaving it with all the gravitas of jurassicbutts.gif, Finn's great paracer adventure served little purpose beyond giving Warwick Davis work and showing off Harry Potter, Benecio's Gambit doesn't make any sense because nobody on that mission would have known the plan, and the island was twice as long as it needed to be so they could sell chicken dolls.

The only parts of the movie that really worked for me were the opening scene with Poe, and the Force-tindr interactions.

Re-do the whole thing as a Star Wars re-enactment of the Chain of Dogs and we'd be getting somewhere

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 27, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is absolutely what the initial backlash has been about, but fans are too stubborn to admit the fault lies with their expectations and not Johnson’s vision for the film.

I only think about star wars when there's a post in this thread and I didn't think about tlj at all before my brother asked if I wanted to see it when he visited for Christmas. I still thought it was terrible and so boring I struggled to stay awake

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

site posted:

How did you get bored and sleepy in a movie that if anything might have been a little to dense with stuff going on constantly unless you actively didn't want to enjoy it in the first place

I thought there was at least an hour of that movie that could have been cut to vastly improve its flow. It takes more than shiny objects to distract me from a lack of plot

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can't wait for the answer to why he fell to the darkside literally not be important.

Training grounds were sandy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mllaneza posted:

Her very name is a reference to royalty, so it's not like JJ Abrams wasn't waving the "secret destiny" and "hidden princess" flags in our faces. And then that happens.

to be honest at this point we're also just blindly trusting the most unreliable of narrators

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And the fact that they somehow have even bigger more absurd ships than the Empire ever did, it's like a bad anime where suddenly there's an EVEN BIGGER KAIJU, OMG

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jivjov posted:

The Aftermath books, and to a lesser extent Phasma and Bloodlines, addresses this. Palpatine and some of his lieutenants were stashing hardware off in the Unknown Regions, the First Order ends up using a lot of that.

Ah yes, "addresses"

Send this stuff to the outer rim!
Why sir?
It just wouldn't be sporting to use it on the rebels!

e: I'd legit be happier if they were sent away because they were trapezoidal not triangular and the Emperor just didn't like them

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And the fact that the rebellion is now smaller than the end of season one rebels

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't the empire kill her after she turned rebel?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She's alive and being kept in the worst hell prison Anakin could come up with, a sandy beach

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vitamin P posted:

I think Vader cut Ahsoka in half because he is a nasty and bad man.

He's doing his best Buffalo Bill impression

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just finished this up. Bold move summoning the Great Old Ones to liberate Lothal

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

The smart money is on the Obi-Wan movie for 2020, but yea, once we get something about IX there will probably be more. THey can't just do comic books and novels. They could do it with games but with EA's track record, I think people are hesitant to put any trust in that holding the torch while we wait.

Boba Fett movie in the style of John Wick

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you can get a Chthonian to guest star, you pretty much need to jump on that tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I see filoni already has his mutant animals expert lined up for the ending of his new series

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DancinBrud posted:

To me this sounds like Filoni finally taking the opportunity to mash up Star Wars with his Robotech influences. I’m in!

Think this will be classic 2D animation, or cel-shaded 3D? I’d put money on the latter.

Funny thing about Donald Faison: he was at the Rebels finale screening as a fan and bugged Filoni at the Q&A about what the next series would be. We should’ve guessed he was already onboard.

Robotech? Mutant turtles?

Star Wars: Resistance, more like Star Wars: RIFTS

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blasto is the only crew member we need

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing Johnson did was ensure that ep 9 needs to be the biggest deus ex machina bullshit to come to a positive resolution.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jivjov posted:

The Republic also had virtually no military. One small fleet, and that got destroyed with the Hosnian system.

I thought there was something in TFA that said the Republic had a treaty with the first order or something since they'd just gotten out of their forever war and didn't want to go back to fighting right away, which is why there was a resistance at all

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

site posted:

he has light skin but he doesnt read as white to me :shrug:

He's marginally less white than the lady on the right, who is also apparently not white

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DancinBrud posted:

Also: One of the most interesting parts of the TPM commentary track is Lucas talking about how for young kids, one of the scariest parts of the movie is when Jar Jar gets his hand stuck in the pod racer turbine as they’re about to start it up.

And for the rest of us it was another brief surge of hope before more crushing disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Finally a trailer that's only 50% flying through rings instead of 80%. We get it...they're good at flying through rings.

You think all that loop flying is useless and extraneous, but joke's on you, all imperial ships are tubes now

• Locked thread