Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, seeing the Death Troopers get clowned on in their first non-Rogue One appearance was kinda sad. They managed to make Vader threatening, why couldn't they have done the same for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think they should have switched the airing order of these two parters. Opening with Yavin and Mon Mothma and Saw and Death Troopers and Rogue One references and such just seems to make more sense as a premiere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to an episode of the Forces of Destiny microseries, we now know for a fact that Hera, Chopper, and the Ghost all survive at least until the battle of Endor. No sign of any of the rest of the Specter team in that episode though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I got a kick out of Ezra/the wanted posters making a joke about how the character models have changed over time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sabine's new hair is killer. Probably her nicest look yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

banned from Starbucks posted:

Even in Jedi the Emperor gives no shits about blowing up a moon full of his best dudes.

At no point was blowing up Endor even floated as an idea; on either side. The DSII's superlaser recharged fast enough for it to be used on rebellion capital ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Porgs were awesome. They were in the film a perfect amount to be funny without overstaying their welcome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tarquinn posted:

Interesting.

What's the canon explanation for the New Republic seemingly being completely out of the picture? The First Orders first act was a pretty definite declaration of war. I mean sure, losing five important planets (apparently all in the same system) and their seat of government (I assume) is a problem, but shouldn't there be dozens, if not hundreds of planets more? Also what about their armed forces? Were they all on shore leave on those five planets? TLJ made it look like the First Order now runs the whole galaxy: The First Order reigns.

The New Republic didn't see the First Order as any sort of threat, refused to commit any military resources to fighting them, and basically were content to say "Alright Leia, you can take the retired old farts and our old cast-off hardware and go make your resistance". Then the FO blows up the Senate and the entire Republic fleet (yes, they had a small fleet. Basically not wanting to ever repeat the Clone Wars or Being The Empire, the New Republic did not have a major military force. What little they did have was basically a glorified peacekeeping force; sorta like the UN has in the real world). The First Order "reigns", not in the Empire sense of being the established force of government...but by virtue of being the only major organized military power left around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

And the fact that they somehow have even bigger more absurd ships than the Empire ever did, it's like a bad anime where suddenly there's an EVEN BIGGER KAIJU, OMG

The Aftermath books, and to a lesser extent Phasma and Bloodlines, addresses this. Palpatine and some of his lieutenants were stashing hardware off in the Unknown Regions, the First Order ends up using a lot of that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Moon Slayer posted:

They're really leaning into Hera being a big part of rebellion leadership in the various comic books. She's going to be in Doctor Aphra, and she was in one of the Forces of Destiny comics that takes place on Hoth, not to mention the cartoon, where she's on Endor (though I'm not sure how canon those are).

Under the Story Group, everything is equally canonical (unless it's a video game, or explicitly designated non canon; so the plot line of then Battlefront 2 campaign is canon, the multiplayer scenarios aren't, etc)

So Forces of Destiny is just as canonical as Rebels which is just as canonical as The Last Jedi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chickenwalker posted:

They're all equally canonical, in that they're all non-canonical because they were all released after George Lucas walked away from the franchise.

That's...not accurate. The Story Group is in charge of the continuity now. All the stuff I listed is also as canonical as A New Hope, Attack of the Clones, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You seriously are absolutely incorrect about this. Unless some massive sweeping announcement was made in the last day or two, the Story Group Canon is the canonical depiction of Star Wars now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

All of the voices in the webway had a connection to the Force, right? I don’t remember all of them but I think that’s the case. So then it’s kind of interesting that one of them was Maz Kanata.

Maz was always intended to be an unaffiliated Force User. The scenes of her actually using force powers didn't make in to the final cut of TFA though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

None of this is any more than easter eggs.

Uhhh, have you watched Rogue One? Cause Saw was pretty important to that film.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is the finale a longer episode? Or still a 22 minute?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh awesome! The app I use to track tv shows has it billed as just one ep; so I was really worried it was gonna wrap up too quick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something that I think Star Wars authors stumble on is just how BIG space is and how many sectors/systems/planets there are, and how much military might would be needed to protect or patrol it all. Sure, 25,000 ISDs sounds like an absolute fuckton...but how many is that per inhabited system the empire is ostensibly making a show of force at?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/971763423854854145?s=21

Not animation; but Jon Favreau is working on a live action tv series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

Pretty sure they toned it down after getting feedback from fans.

Yeah, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment where fan-feedback affected the production process. With production leadtime, they had the entire first season and part of the second in the can and ready to broadcast before anything aired, but as soon as people started complaining about all the cutesy nicknames and such, the writers took that to heart and dialed that back haaaaaard. Mid season 2 they disappear almost entirely.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Claytor posted:

I saw that there's already been talk about it, but I'm yet another person very confused by the fourth season treating Kanan and Hera as a will-they-won't-they thing when they felt like an established, long-term couple from the first episode on.

I always took Hera and Kanan as that couple who clearly had feelings for each other, were most likely having sex on the regular, but never wanted to commit to "I love you"s or explicitly acknowledging that they were a couple.

So them being open with each other about their feelings was a big step for them, even if nothing was really changing about the way they interacted beyond that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; I absolutely loved those. The Luke and Yoda one stands out a little bit given the female-led nature of most of the rest of the show...but that's okay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elentor posted:

Which comic is this?

Most recent issue of the main Star Wars ongoing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Constantly owes money to" is a better descriptor of that dynamic

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

site posted:

girlfriends

Nah; Aphra is seeing someone already

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough! I don't know the particulars of Aphra's relationship dynamics!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

Is Aphra set betwix New Hope and Empire?

Yep; most of Marvel's OT era output is in that gap.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious how the seasoning numbering is gonna go; will this be Season 7 with the Lost Missions as Season 6? Or are they gonna pull a Doctor Who and have this be Season 6, with the Lost Missions being akin to Doctor Who's Year of Specials?

Edit: or maybe the lost Missions and then this 12 episode run will together be treated as Season 6

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

Wait, they are redoing some old clone wars stuff or new stuff for a season?

These will be brand new episodes; but we've seen bits of some of them in the preproduction stuff they put up on starwars.com of episodes that were unfinished when the show was cancelled

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IRQ posted:

Is Disney pooping out another Star Wars movie this holiday season? I assume so because why wouldn't they? Maybe they're waiting for that ad campaign to start?

We already got this year's Star Wars film back in May. Next theatrical release is Episode IX.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My personal suspicion is that the thought process went something like "Well, Solo is already in rough shape due to the directorial shakeup, might as well use it as the experiment at recapturing May as 'The Star Wars Release Window'"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait Solo is out? For a few months? Man I need to pay more attention to stuff. :psyduck: I guess since I don't really watch TV I missed any advertising? Maybe?

Wait, Disney is making another Mary Poppins movie? WHY

This was Disney's biggest failing with Solo; their marketing was really really low key for a Star Wars film

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds like Kathleen Kennedy has made one too many missteps for the mouse and is on the way out anyway

[citation needed]

I doubt after three billion dollar movies and other successful projects that one underperforming film is gonna torpedo her

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

It's TLJ being a critical flop, Solo being a box office flop, the amount of money she's wasted firing directors she's hired, the whole 'Rian Johnson trilogy' announcement, and supposedly some other stuff about being too difficult to work with.

TLJ was wildly successful with critics. Something like 90+% positive. I don't see how announcing a trilogy from Rian Johnson, the guy who's last Star Wars film made a billion dollars, has an A- CinemaScore, and has that aforementioned 90+% positive critical reception is in any way a bad thing.

Edit: just double checked; 91% positive from critics, per rotten tomatoes 85 on Metacritic

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 27, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's fan backlash to literally every single movie ever made. If executives got fired every time some manchild with a superiority complex bitched on Twitter, there would never be a sequel to anything ever.

TLJ performed amazingly by every reliable metric (I specifically exclude RottenTomatoes audience ratings here; people openly bragged about artificially lowering that score, plus just in general RT has no way of enforcing that people only review once or if they even saw the film)

Announcing a trilogy helmed by the man behind that film is a fantastic move, and I'm honestly way more excited for his trilogy than I am for Episode IX.

Solo's production and release was a mess, sure. But one bad release isn't going to end her career.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Except the backlash to TLJ was so pronounced that all talk of his trilogy was silenced, and the idea put on indefinite hold.

[citation needed]

There has been zero word of any cancellations or "holds" on any Star Wars projects. One unsubstantiated rumor circulated for a bit and was specifically refuted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's one of the weirdest sentiments about TLJ I can conceive of. I mean...of course it toed the line as far as "fitting in to the franchise" is concerned...but "paint by numbers" is the last thing I'd ever possibly say about it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Another Death Star! (don't @ me jivjov, I'm speaking figuratively.)

:11tea:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Brony Hunter posted:

Enough about the movies, can we just talk about how kicking rad the idea of more Clone Wars episodes is

I'm honestly hoping they do well enough that they make more; not just finishing up the partially completed ones

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would agree with the assessment...it's my number 3 behind TESB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burning_Monk posted:

But they already showed that with Finn in TFA.

While it's true that "defecting Stormtrooper" is a new POV hero for the films...he's also not (to our knowledge) Force-using. He and Rey work as two slightly different avenues on the same theme in that regard.

• Locked thread