Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gonz posted:

The Loth-Wolf said “Dume”.

Kanan’s birth name is Caleb Dume.

Of all the death flags he's been throwing, the big two for him would be actually planning marriage to Hera and reclaiming the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

banned from Starbucks posted:

ive never watched TCW, does having a wolf say your name mean youre going to die or something?

Not so much a wolf doing it but my prediction for his death has been "he announces himself as Caleb Dume and promptly dies heroically under his own name" since I read his comic.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

Oh no this is such torture! It could only be worse if I had an unlimited supply of margaritas!

You will know such pain!

"It's terrible skyguy, I'm in agony." And then we get an Ahsoka Eyeroll for old times' sake.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Loved it, but I think I like the term Filoni used in Recon, "the place where there are stars," better than "a world between worlds." I think because the first makes the outsideness and mystic nature of the place primary, with the ability to travel something you can do there versus the second making the ability to travel the primary point. Just a personal feeling though.

Also, was it just me, or was the sound quality in the place (whatever you call it) very similar to the way sound cuts out and then gets echoey when Rey and Kylo connect with each other?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I always enjoyed Cad Bane and hated the Fett-fetishists, but the animatic of their duel works for me (spoiled because it's an ancillary, though official, source). It's a classic showdown, and Bane outdraws Fett but Fett, wearing a helmet, survives the shot and takes out Bane.

As for other TCW-original characters I like, Hondo is, with Chewbacca, the only character who is going to be confirmed alive and active in all three eras. He's one of the major characters in the Galaxy's Edge storyline, which will be canonical.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jerkface posted:

I can meet Hondo at Galaxys Edge?!

Early reports are he'll be the "client" of the Millenium Falcon simulator ride.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Teek posted:

With the Siege of Mandalore being the apparent final arc of this new season, I wonder what that means for any potential future seasons. May not happen but what if? The series started as being all out of chronological order, would it be weird for them to go back pre-Siege in future seasons to plug in a lot of the other arcs they had planned? Seems like they've always viewed the series as a set of stories that may or may not be in order.

The Siege of Mandalore is contemporaneous with the Battle of Coruscant->Order 66, right? From Ahsoka, we know that Ahsoka and Rex fake their deaths at the hands of the rest of her squad (wearing her colors!) by leaving his armor on another clone in a grave with her sabers. I forget, did that happen on Mandalore, or after Mandalore?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

TheCenturion posted:

What we wanted: Luke being this incredibly bad-rear end Jedi Master, who finally understood that his presence was helping to sustain the conflict, rather than ending it, so he gracefully bows out, and devotes his life to trying to figure out if the Jedi had the wrong idea, and if there's a better path than Jedi vs Sith. I still maintain that Luke's story should have gone something like this:
1) Luke is all chuffed up from defeating the Emperor, but he's also scared sithless at the fact that he is, in fact, the last of the Jedi.
2) He tries to teach Leia, but she's too drat busy to do much more than pick up a few tricks, like propelling herself through space while holding her breath.
3) He reluctantly agrees to teach Ben, mainly because the boy is so strong in the Force, Luke is afraid for what will happen if he goes untrained.
4) For whatever reason, Ben falls to the dark side. Part of it is that Luke is really REALLY afraid of doing the wrong thing, and overcompensates.
5) Ben becomes Kylo, and fucks off to learn from Snoke. Luke realizes that he didn't have a good idea of what he was doing, and sequesters himself to do the above figuring.
6) Rey finds him, begs him to teach her. He refuses.
7) She starts teaching herself, going from his books of Jedi teachings and what not. He watches, occasionally starts to correct something she's doing, then stops herself, whatever.
8) He has a LOT of late night chats with Chewbacca about all this. Chewy is his voice of reason.
9) Rey gets a vision and buggers off. Luke tries to stop her, saying it's too dangerous, she's untrained, she'll fall to the dark side. She angrily dismisses him, as if he's not going to train her what does it matter?
10) As Luke watchs the Falcon lift off, he hears Yoda's voice behind him. "Familiar, that sounded. Know now you do, how I felt."
11) They have a real heart-to-heart, as equals, where Yoda finally spills out his own anger and heartache over not being able to stop Palpatine, and basically presiding over the fall of the Jedi Order, and of the Republic. He apologizes to Luke for basically training him as a child soldier. He and Luke discuss their various failings, and how the Order should proceed. Finally, Luke says something like "Now I understand why Ben did what he did." and stands up.
12) He goes over to his submerged x-wing, and lifts it out of the lake. Yoda is duly impressed, and wishes Luke well, adding 'See you soon, I will.'
13) Luke goes to the salty planet, whatever the gently caress it's called. In person. Wanders in, has a moment with Leia, apologizes for Ben and Han, and Rey, and tells her that he's finally ready to finish Ben's training.
14) He goes out front. Kylo freaks out, orders a barrage. Luke just ignores it.
14b) Rey, meanwhile, has also made it to the planet, and was charging towards the battlefield, when she stops, and witnesses this.
15) Kylo goes over in person, starts ranting.
16) Luke just looks at Kylo, and when he's wound down a bit, apologizes, and says something like "I have one last lesson to teach you. Will you hear it?"
17) Kylo sneers "You have nothing left to teach me, old man. I am far more powerful than you ever were."
18) Luke gets this vaguely exaggerated look of surprise on his face, like Yoda would have in ESB, and says something like "Powerful? What do you think power is? The ability to choke people with the Force? To throw lightning? To read minds?"
19) Luke waves his hand, and the various AT-ATs are blown away. A flight of TIE/fos come roaring overhead, and Luke waves a hand, and they fall out of the sky.
20) "Ability with a lightsaber?" Luke ignites his lightsaber, and completely clowns Kylo.
21) Finally, Luke says "All of this 'power' I have, and I couldn't even save you. No, Ben. This is my final lesson, this is true power. This is what I should have taught you, and I'm sorry that I failed you." And with that, Luke closes down his lightsaber and spreads his arms. He winks at Rey.
22) Kylo kills Luke, who's robes fall to the ground.
23) Rey is terribly shaken, but makes a point of putting her own lightsaber away, unignited. She turns and returns to the cave, and begins leading the survivors out.
24) Watching them leave are Luke and Yoda's force ghosts. "I hope Rey and Ben have both learned my final lesson, Master Yoda." "Taught it well, you did, Master Skywalker. Leave it to them now, we must. Much good, I can sense in him still. A Jedi Knight he will be, like his father before him, and his grandfather. And she, too, a beacon of hope." "I feel that they will be the ones to end the conflict, and bring balance back to the Force, Master Yoda."

Hell, they could have just gone with the whole 'at the same time Luke is teaching Rey, Rey is teaching Luke' thing. But they didn't. They just literally wadded him up like a sheet of newspaper, and tossed him out.

That's, uh, literally what happened on a narrative/thematic level, just without the show of gratuitous blow-things-up power, and without the slavish repetition of TFA (but of ESB this time). Did you really need the clunky exposition "HEY THAT SOUNDS FAMILIAR"/"YES THIS WAS MY PLAN MAYBE THEY WILL *ARC WORDS*"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

tsob posted:

Not to be a pedant, but you almost certainly mean Macross-inspired, since almost everything widely known or well liked about Robotech is from the Macross third of the sage, while the other two shows (Southern Cross and Mospeada) are almost forgotten and Macek's original elements are barely mentioned in most places. They're not things that are visually perceptible in general either. Not that I can see much of a Macross element in it personally, beyond vague "aliens and spaceships" thing that is generic to most science opera stories.

I like mospeada.

• Locked thread