Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Moon Slayer posted:

:shrug: Even after open warfare had broken out between the British and the American colonists, many still wanted to find a peaceful resolution. Several members of the Second Continental Congress (which convened after the battles at Lexington and Concord) voted against declaring independence because it would end any chance of that. Only about a third of Americans wanted to fight the British at all. We don't really talk about that these days because in the end a diplomatic solution wasn't possible and the revolutionaries were successful, so it makes a better story for everyone to have been united and resolute on independence from the start. I find it really interesting that they're highlighting the divisions and debate in the nascent Rebel Alliance.

The "one third" thing is a myth (John Adams really liked breaking things into thirds), but otherwise that's correct.

And Rogue One is a great example of how the liberal leaders of the rebellion and their "peaceful solutions" garbage is ineffective, while the direct action of fringe elements like Saw and Jyn Erso gets poo poo done.

But it took their example to wake up the other leaders into actually fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

If you didn't watch Rebels Recon, apparently the cast wasn't told that Kanan was going to die until they had already recorded everything up to that part, then Filoni came in and showed them the storyboards for the last part. There's a one-second shot in the behind the scenes stuff of Freddie Prinze Jr. sitting in the corner holding his head in his hands that's almost as heartbreaking as anything that happened in the episode.

The old M*A*S*H play

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I was so happy we got Ian McDiarmid since no one else ever gets the cackle right.

Plus we got Malcolm McDowell, so both on-screen chancellors were in this episode.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 1, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh yeah I'm dumb

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, that makes sense. In hindsight that was kind of a dumb thing for me to wonder about. For some reason I didn't imagine Thrawn ever meeting Palps in person. Like he would be too busy always quelling uprisings in the Outer Rim Territories to return to Coruscant or whatever.

In the novel, they interact in person quite frequently.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They were Senatorial Guards, but basically the same (except in blue).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I saw him sort of as the warden from Cool Hand Luke

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

a character who's always been a whole lot of nothing like Fett

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It is I, Hondo Carnage....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Obi-Wan's affair with Satine takes a turn as she becomes a dancing girl slave for a fat Hutt. She later dies of lung disease. The movie is filled with musical numbers.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

This was Disney's biggest failing with Solo; their marketing was really really low key for a Star Wars film

Which didn't help quell the lovely rumors, either.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

See, these are the dumb rumors I was talking about. None of them are true.

Also TLJ was the greatest Star Wars film in 30 years.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

IRQ posted:

That's dumb as hell and completely implausible but if that's what they're going with then everyone in the star wars universe is so oblivious it means the zerg could be literally right next door without anyone noticing and I guess that would breathe some new life into things.

It's literally taken right from history, the Nazis built up and trained in Russia.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Zoran posted:

What version of history did you learn?

Actual history.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm sure none of them fought for Nazi Germany, using all that training they gained in those days. Nope!

And at any rate, it doesn't change the fact that the First Order training in the fringes despite being barred from doing so by treaty is straight from history.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe if they met at their current ages, but she's known her since she was like 14. That's loving weird.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

Also seems weird that there's not a remedy for blindness (medical or prosthetic) in the Star Wars universe.

He had the Force, why would he need cybereyes?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

IRQ posted:

I mean, as someone who put a zillion hours into X-Wing and (separate title) TIE Fighter, flying through rings is serious, serious business wrt training!

TIE Fighter is still the best!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

site posted:

Cant believe you didnt just build an oculus or vive or whatever into the helmet

The helmet is so goddamn big, I'm pretty sure my Vive would fit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That is also true, especially with the bubble eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Star Wars TV: Holiday Special Reboot When?

• Locked thread