Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I only caught up recently and I just wanted to say that the Obi Wan/Maul "fight" was absolutely spectacular and something I feel has been sorely missing from the newer Star Wars films. Just a single perfect stroke of his blade and the fight is done almost before it started.

I genuinely think that was the best Star Wars moment since the original trilogy. It perfectly captures the whole Kurosawa-style of the original duels, it has an emotional background because of what's going on between the two characters, and at the same time it makes sense from a purely logical point of view (Obi-Wan has a lot more battle experience than Darth Maul and spent years refining his connection to the Force). It even features all the new trilogy and EU stances and fighting styles shenanigans and incorporate it into the narrative without ruining the point of the fight. It's perfect. I also like how Maul seems to understand at the end that all of them, the Sith and the Jedi, are victims of Palpatine.

I was expecting another generic lightsaber fight but I was so very much surprised by what they did. It "gets" it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would you not just kill him?

It's only fair if you mass murder random soldiers in cold blood and never look back. Doing it mid-war to a dangerous psychopath who actively enjoys murdering and personally wants to kill you and everyone you love would be going too far.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

So over the course of the series it was cheaper to build the lovely new "engine" (I don't know the correct term) for Rebels than it would have been to keep making new stuff and new episodes with the one from Clone Wars?

That's a shame, Clone Wars (especially toward the end) was gorgeous.

I never want to see Lothal again.

Engines have nothing to do with it. What Phylodox means is that if you used the old assets and did the new assets poorly there would be a harsh contrast in quality between the assets and that would be jarring. It is better to have everything look bad but still maintain a cohesive and unified art direction than to have great looking stuff contrasting with clearly lower quality stuff. So if they used the old assets they'd also have to make the new assets good and the cost of making everything bad is probably less than the cost of reusing stuff and making the new art up to par.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My takes on this show:

+ I really enjoyed the Maul vs Obi-Wan duel and that was probably my favorite Star Wars moment since the original trilogy. It triggered a feeling of nostalgia that nothing really tickled, because it just had that Kurosawa feeling that everything SW I've seen since lacked.
- I didn't like how much the show depended on plot armor for the characters and how utterly bad the Stormtroopers are. This is also a pet peeve I have with the movies in general, the stakes never seem high.
+ I really, really, really liked that the Force wasn't just the same tricks that we've been seeing ad nauseam. I like that Ezra's thing is that he connects with animals, I like the really bizarre monster that controls the weather, it had a really oldschool Disney feeling to it. The emperor didn't have to toss lightning. I disliked how all the "Jedi secrets/mysteries" were never really anything that made me care about because they weren't something concrete, like what was so powerful and mysterious that they hid away? So a sealed dimensional gateway that allows you to alter time is the kind of thing that I can see the Emperor wanting control over. It made sense that it would have multiple self-destruct and fail-safes. I have some complaints with how unclear some of the new elements are but overall I liked all the strange new things that they added to the universe, the SW galaxy is vast and we usually only see more of the same.
- I think a lot of the characters were under explored and the route that they took to explore Sabine was really boring.
+ I liked the Emperor cameos and how he tempted Ezra, seemed really in-character and it was fun.
-/+ Overall I liked the show but there was too much fat in it, which is pretty much expected from the format. I think it had enough good moments to make up for it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 6, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also was it just me or was the Rebels plan this episode a tad mean. Calling all the Imperials to one location so they could blow them up.

It was, well, war and liberation of an oppressed planet while targeting only military personnel. It's not out of touch with what Star Wars usually shows.

The problem is the contrast with the overly annoying preachy episodes we had in the past about "let's not use this weapon that can blow up a bunch of imperials at once", "we don't kill", and then we see that pig man squealing in gleeful delight as he blows up ships with possibly multiple people in it.

"We can't do this Ezra, we're better than this." *Proceeds to put thousands of imperials trapped in a gigantic arcology, launches it into the sky and blows them up in fiery death explosion.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

Can someone explain to me why they think Rebels looks cheaper? Because I don't understand.

Ignoring personal preference and addressing why people complain it looks cheaper.

The textures in TCW are all either hand-painted or procedurally generated to look hand-painted to go with the actual hand-painted stuff. Even in the old/new character image comparison, you should be able to see that there are more man-hours in the hand-painted texturing of the TCW show than in the characters of Rebels, regardless of how good they look in a vacuum.

Compare this:

With this:

One has a very flat fabric texture with a few brush strokes to add some tonal variation, but since there are not a lot of high-frequency details in Rebels there's not a lot of custom paint job on the texture (or the facial texture). In contrast, you can see the individual strokes in the cloaks from the characters in the background of TCW. If you zoom in you can see some painted details on the fabric and tonal variation, and that's for the background characters. Anakin's robe is pretty much entirely hand-painted with a lot of high and middle frequency details, good tonal variation and coloring.

That quick, flat texturing style is used not only by nameless faceless imperial soldiers, but main characters in Rebels as well.

In general, TCW has a more rich lighting and coloring. The backgrounds in Rebels are all very flat and have very flat textures. Compare the background for Tarkin in this image:

Everything has a foundation texture but TCW builds upon it with details, ornaments, and so on. You see the ship texture behind Tarkin? That's a procedural texture that's used for almost everything, and I mean it, in Rebels. Every metallic surface uses it. I published a similar procedural texture in 2012 and modified it in 2016, you can see it here.

And here's a comparison of it and a ship in Rebels:

That kind of pattern is used everywhere in Rebels, not just metal plates. The Sith Inquisitors' faces also use it.

Last but not least, prop/doodad/greeble density is very small in Rebels and most environments, especially cities, look dreadfully empty. TCW solves it by having details kinda baked in the buildings through visible strokes, which is a painfully longer process but it works in making the scenes richer. It's the same reason why hatching is used by good artists and artists coloring in Photoshop doing shadows or tonal variance with soft airbrushes look awfully amateur and lacking something.

Rebels' artists are doing a great job with what they have and the art direction given but yeah, these are the main reasons why it looks cheaper.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

Who knew Zeb had such a nice butt?

Which comic is this?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does that psychotic doctor/scientist from Vader ever return? I loved her and her even more psychotic robot duo.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the new Vader comic related to the old one with Aphra? I read the first issue and they seemed 100% unrelated.
And yeah Aphra to me was the best character introduced in the franchise in a while, I didn't know there was an Aphra comic going on.

• Locked thread