Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

I just don't like the out-of-universe commentary about how Maul supposedly tried to hit Obi-Wan in the face like he did with Qui-Gon and got killed for it, because the two instances are really different and the second instance just cheapens Maul as a duelist.

There's nothing supposed about it, it's literally what happens. Obi-Wan deliberately assumes Qui-Gon's fighting stance, Maul sees this and thinks he can exploit the same flaw as he did with Qui-Gon and tries to strike Obi-Wan in the face with his saber like he did when he defeated Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan deflects that blow and kills Maul. Obi-Wan lured Maul into a trap. It doesn't cheapen Maul, it just shows that he hasn't been able to move on and adapt from that duel, whereas Obi-Wan has. It's character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It makes perfect sense because a) the Super-Marionation style requires exaggerated movements like that and b) the situation is different. The problem is that Obi-Wan grasps this while Maul doesn’t. Maul tries to re-enact his previous victory, even though Obi-Wan is clearly in control and not on the defensive.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

I still can't see it. A fighter like Maul wouldn't go for that move in that position, he knows better. I don't have anything against the shortness of the fight, but making the fight nonsensical in the interest of symbolism just doesn't sit well with me.

He went for the move because it’s what won him the fight last time. The whole fight is to show how Obi-Wan has learned from his experiences while Maul hasn’t. Maul being a good combatant is subordinate to him being stunted and twisted by his obsession with the past.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X_Toad posted:

My point is that not even someone as messed up as Maul would go for such a dangerous, stupid move given their respective positions.

Why not? Maul is someone who was literally driven insane by what happened to him on Naboo. He finds out that the guy he blames for all of that is alive and hiding out somewhere. Then, when you confront the guy, he directly mimics the event you traumatically remember as your downfall. What part of any of that makes you think Maul’s not going to go batshit and act without thinking?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Sabine’s family showed up all like, “Yeah, we managed to escape, somehow!” I just said, “Oh, gently caress off!” It’s like they went out of their way to avoid having any real stakes in those episodes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IRQ posted:

I need a loth-cat episode, just loth-cats.

The Star Wars Internet is nothing but loth-cat videos.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

So either that episode was showing one small section that took place way later, or she's been put back into her proper time.

Yeah, why not? It’s a simple misdirect.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

It's not an illusion, Kanan is dead.

The illusion isn’t that Kanan is dead, it’s that Ezra could ever save him. If he had tried, the Emperor would have grabbed him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“Yousa people gonna die!”

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teek posted:

We already know Solo is doing this to some degree too with the [...] Tag and Bink cameo.

I’m sorry, what?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

General Dog posted:

This is probably just a stupid question, but would anything have prevented them from staying with the same style/animation program/whatever from Clone Wars going into Rebels and reusing a lot of its assets?

My guess would be that they wouldn't be able to carry forward enough assets to offset the cost of the new ones they'd have to create at the same level of detail as the old ones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I vastly preferred Clone Wars Palpatine’s character design. Had way more character.

Then again, he was only in Rebels for a second, so I can see why they wouldn’t go all in on him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

I know they spent less on the Rebels series, but I haven't been able to tell where they cut corners. Things like the plasticine hair and beards make TCW look cheap to me in comparison.

The models in The Clone Wars had more texture to them, for one. Everything looked hand-painted, to match the vaguely marionette inspired aesthetic. Rebels, on the other hand, stuck with mostly bright, solid, easier to render colours, which made everything look a bit more cartoony and two-dimensional.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teek posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much all the original actors save for the recast VAs from The Clone Wars series. (Yoda, Anakin and Padme)

And, understandably, Carrie Fisher. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't know if I should ask here, the movie treads, or if there's even a book thread but do any of you Star Wars lords know if any of the clone troopers survived well into the original trilogy timeline. Or even past it to the sequels?

Pretty sure it’s canon at this point that Rex was one of the rebels on Endor.

• Locked thread