Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«176 »
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Pretty much any one will do you, because 99% of the Genesis composite cables on the market are from unknown third party manufacturers at this point, and Genesis composite video quality is pretty meh regardless of how well built an AV cable is.

That said, for a Model 1 system:

https://www.amazon.com/Tomee-AV-Cab.../dp/B00KYM4AH8/

Model 2:

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis.../dp/B002GCFI2K/

Both are probably good bets.

Thanks, mate.

And now I notice a new problem: I don't think the "power supply" on my Genesis is up to snuff. It's rated at 5.3V, the plug said. And the Genesis Model 2 is uh.. needing 10V? Do I need a plug rated at 10V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl and FOURTEEN KARAT GOLD!!!

Warning: SU Season 3 Spoilers

Pegnose Pete posted:

I suggest this a lot but have you considered just emulating stuff and outputting to your PC? Get a decent controller and then you don't really have to spend any more money, provided you have a decent computer already. I know the emotional attachment is huge for playing old consoles but if you don't want to go down the CRT route or the Framemeister/OSSC route, but want your stuff to look decent on a modern TV just emulate.

Eh my laptop isn't really strong enough to emulate anything past the SNES era for consoles, at least on a consistent level, and honestly these days I find myself lacking the patience to mess around with emulation of consoles past the 16 bit era, would much rather just use the actual consoles for those, especially since I already have dozens of PS1 and PS2 games, and many of the better N64 games as well

Karasu Tengu posted:

That's an innate limitation of the composite encoding. If you want it to look better you can use a Wii and component cables for the PS2 and Gamecube, but the N64 will need modifications to look just slightly less muddy.

Also the PS2 and N64 are going to be kinda muddy no matter what just because of what they are.

Mind explaining this further, I find it honestly incredibly idiotic that the best solutions for this is "use a CRT tv" and/or "use a weird, obscure, and expensive type of cable", you'd think someone would have come up with a proper HDMI compatible solution that doesn't involve emulation by this point

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Think of it as trying to make an image bigger on your computer. It doesn't matter what filters and enlargements you put on your 256 color GIF photograph, it's not going to look as good as a raw image file and eventually it's just going to be a blurry mess of pixels.

«176 »