Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Welp, I have no impulse control.

It's a former rental copy, but the disc is in pretty good shape. Shame about the rental stickers. Anyone know any tricks for removing stickers that have been on paper for twenty+ years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

:retrogames:

One more expensive Konami Famicom game to go for me: Crisis Force. I'm not counting the seven educational titles where there might have been a few dozen copies produced and three may be completely lost.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a former rental copy, but the disc is in pretty good shape. Shame about the rental stickers. Anyone know any tricks for removing stickers that have been on paper for twenty+ years?

:retrogames::hf::retrogames:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Played Shock Troopers for the first time a few days ago. I'm hesitant to call any game perfect, but it's probably my favorite Neo Geo game I've played so far and also the best run and gun game I've ever played. A game like that having a dodge roll with invulnerability frames adds so much more depth. It also rewards skillful gameplay being able to melee enemies for points and to occasionally get extra life. There's also three different paths to take kind of making it feel like three campaigns in one game, although some of the bosses are similar/same between paths.

Considering it's also an arcade game, it's extremely fair with the dodge roll and difficulty compared to other games trying to eat your quarters. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJLvJ8TjjQ

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

2reachmu posted:

I've been doing some Yahoo Japan auctions shopping recently and found a RARE special edition PSOne L@@K
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s712822860

Holy poo poo that's hilarious

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's hilarious.

Are there any HDMI PS1/PSOne mods? Are they worth bothering with over using a PS3?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://hiddenpalace.org/EarthBound_(Mar_27,_1995_prototype)

Earthbound prototype was just released!

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiLxQXV2-kY

anyone know who that character is he's talking about at 2:02? TCRF does not mention anything about this NPC being in the Japanese one but not the American version.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It might just be the sprite?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Detective No. 27 posted:

you could try a hair dryer / heat gun to melt the glue and peel the stickers off, but if it's on the actual paper it may not work too well.
game store employees that put stickers directly on paper deserve what's coming to them in the next life.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

On paper?

Leave the sticker on, pretend it's new, and rent it to yourself for 2 nights at $4?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd just leave it personally. The sticker on the manual looks a lot better than a manual with a circle-shaped tear in the middle. If the stickers on the corner are on the plastic case, then goo gone will work fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Some Goon posted:

It might just be the sprite?

It might be, or it might be that the npc isn't there at all but either way it's not mentioned anywhere on the website that points out that the letters CD don't appear on a random ATM in the American version

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gnoman posted:

You don't want to do anything on a PS2 via USB. IDE to SD via the network adapter is what you would use for fat PS2s.

Interesting. So it's some kind of adapter similar to how the GDEMU interfaces an SD card with the dreamcast I suppose (but presumably more generic since it's just a SATA port)? For what I want to do with the PS2, an SD card could be the ticket. I'm just trying to re-create my high school collection of games so it probably will all fit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, the sticker is on the actual paper. One on the back of the booklet too. There's also one of those stickers on the ring on the CD circle. That one will probably be easy to remove.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's hilarious.

Are there any HDMI PS1/PSOne mods? Are they worth bothering with over using a PS3?

The HDMI adaptor I have for my PS2 fits like a glove in my PS1 and probably works just fine with it considering the PS1 and PS2 can share cables just fine

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Interesting. So it's some kind of adapter similar to how the GDEMU interfaces an SD card with the dreamcast I suppose (but presumably more generic since it's just a SATA port)? For what I want to do with the PS2, an SD card could be the ticket. I'm just trying to re-create my high school collection of games so it probably will all fit.

It's an ide to SD adapter that plugs into the network adapter. It's like a $10 mod if you already have the other stuff. And if you don't count the time you'll initially spend screaming at winhiip as spent money

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I personally leave stickers that are period correct like that. Rentals had them all the time and it’s for sure an ~a e s t h e t i c~ that fits with retrogaming imo.

Worst case you could probably get a loose manual on eBay, no?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

drrockso20 posted:

The HDMI adaptor I have for my PS2 fits like a glove in my PS1 and probably works just fine with it considering the PS1 and PS2 can share cables just fine

I’m pretty sure the HDMI adapter for PS2 takes the component video and just runs component video over HDMI and the PS1 doesn’t actually output component video so you’ll probably get audio with no picture of you try that. I don’t have one of those cables to verify, but I’m pretty sure that’s how they work.

Edit: I might be wrong here. I saw that the cables from the Pound brand are using RGB instead of component video so these should work. They are direct PS Multi-out on one end and HDMI on the other and work on PS1 and PS2

https://www.poundtechnology.com/playstation2

I can’t vouch for the quality and have heard stuff on YouTube that all of the pound cables are crap but I’ve never used any of them.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 2, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally leave stickers that are period correct like that. Rentals had them all the time and it’s for sure an ~a e s t h e t i c~ that fits with retrogaming imo.

Did someone say period correct stickers on games?

I particularly like putting the Crazy Climber stick on Terra Cresta, then putting the Terra Cresta sticker over it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s.......baffling but I’ll allow it

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
I half bought this copy of Clu Clu Land for this sticker on the back

Edit: Is anyone able to translate the text?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WaitsUp posted:

I half bought this copy of Clu Clu Land for this sticker on the back

Edit: Is anyone able to translate the text?

Sticker: Sasanishiki Snake. "Sasanishiki" is a kind of rice.

Sharpie: Shindou Susumu. The name of the kid who owned it before.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005

univbee posted:

Sticker: Sasanishiki Snake. "Sasanishiki" is a kind of rice.

Sharpie: Shindou Susumu. The name of the kid who owned it before.

Thanks so much!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WaitsUp posted:

Thanks so much!

fwiw if you want to dig deeper about the sticker, the rice it's focused on is specific to Sendai prefecture. Wouldn't surprise me if the snake (Sasanishiki hebi) was some form of official mascot for the region or some such.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005

univbee posted:

fwiw if you want to dig deeper about the sticker, the rice it's focused on is specific to Sendai prefecture. Wouldn't surprise me if the snake (Sasanishiki hebi) was some form of official mascot for the region or some such.

Even better! I like it more as a time capsule than as a game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WaitsUp posted:

Even better! I like it more as a time capsule than as a game

One of the more fun things but obscure about collecting these physical games for me is the odd things that kids did to their carts in the 1980's. Like this doodle of Bomberman drawn on the back of Bomberman II that I posted a few weeks ago:

Stickers, filled out score pages in manuals, all of that stuff that lowers the "value" of the game but gives you a connection to the person who had it and enjoyed it before you.

On the related game restoration front, I'm sure that people do this but it's something that only recently occurred to me. The FDS Stick can write disk images through the Disk System drive. So you can buy games with mismatched labels where the kid went out to a disk rewriter and, for example, put Deep Dungeon II on their Hikari Shinwa: Palutena no Kagami (Kid Icarus) disk and then change it back to match the label. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that with a disk writer exclusive game, but you can get games with mismatched labels pretty cheap compared to the originals.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

2reachmu posted:

I've been doing some Yahoo Japan auctions shopping recently and found a RARE special edition PSOne L@@K
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s712822860

Thanks, I just put in a huge bid for it!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will keep the stickers on it. Thank you for getting me to the Acceptance phase.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine forcing yourself to finish Suikoden II in two nights, getting all 108 characters and the best ending.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Imagine forcing yourself to finish Suikoden II in two nights, getting all 108 characters and the best ending.

Doesn't that require a Suikoden 1 save as well?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Doesn't that require a Suikoden 1 save as well?

I think that was only if you wanted to use the protagonist from the first game, he goes away after a save or inn stay I think, he's not permanent.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Azubah posted:

I think that was only if you wanted to use the protagonist from the first game, he goes away after a save or inn stay I think, he's not permanent.

He goes away any time a story event empties out your party (this happens often in Suikoden games). You can put him back in your party, but you have to go through a dungeon to Gregminster to get him, he doesn't live in the castle like the main 108 do. So actually using him is a pain most of the time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

Did someone say period correct stickers on games?

I sure hope so because this is the back of my copy of Bomberman 5:

I'm 90% they're all related to one of the Tamagotchi video games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
re: ps2 slim with IDE, for most people it's more of a theoretical mod, since you have to wire up these points to an IDE connector and that's a lot of wiring in random and small places for your average person.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yikes, I would definitely get someone who is skilled at the iron to do that. I totally forgot to check my slim model

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I remembered there being HDD kits for the Slim which simplify the soldering and to my surprise you can still get them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No-one told Sega the mini console fad was done.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1267984400773378051

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sega fully recognizes it and is firing the first shot in the mini handheld fad.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i need this stupid rear end tiny game gear

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
A Game Gear Mini about the size of an original model GBA with stuff like the Shinobi GGs and Shining Force Gaidens and then some Master System games like Wonder Boy 3 and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on there as well to round out the library would be pretty cool.

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

There's no way that's the big Sega announcement that was being teased, right? Because holy poo poo, if it is, lol.