Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's what you get for writing the word whilst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That's what you get for writing the word whilst

He's the only one allowed. But that's all he gets. He doesn't get a single 'tis' or 'twas' but mf can say 'whilst'. That's what we all agreed on.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm really glad I got my analogue pocket order in. It's my first FPGA hardware and it'll be nice to replace all these game boys I've got.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Null of Undefined posted:

He's the only one allowed. But that's all he gets. He doesn't get a single 'tis' or 'twas' but mf can say 'whilst'. That's what we all agreed on.

Tis true.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The whole Pocket thing seems.... weird. Like they are taking preorders for something not produced yet. Wouldn't the smart idea be to take the money from everyone that wants to buy one and then produce that many plus x amount of extras? That is what most places that do something like this does, it's effectively free money to pay for extra stock.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Managed to pre order without any hiccups (Apple Pay) and I’m pretty excited. Listing out all the old GBA games I want to play and forgot how much was released on it outside of all the incredible first party stuff

Max Payne
Baldur Gate Dark Alliance
Tony Hawks/Dave Mirra
Sonic Advance
Riviera
Dragon Ball RPG’s
Jet Grind Radio
Tactics Ogre

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Djarum posted:

The whole Pocket thing seems.... weird. Like they are taking preorders for something not produced yet. Wouldn't the smart idea be to take the money from everyone that wants to buy one and then produce that many plus x amount of extras? That is what most places that do something like this does, it's effectively free money to pay for extra stock.

The most likely explanation is there's some specialized chips in limited supply and they're only confident they can secure x amount of chips and ship by may 2021. So they've set a pre-order for x amount of units too.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Djarum posted:

It all seems odd, like how do you sell out of screen protectors and charging cables so quickly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Djarum posted:

There's probably a supply constraint on one of the components they need (screen?), and so they're taking preorders for the number of units they know they can produce timely.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ineffiable posted:

The most likely explanation is there's some specialized chips in limited supply and they're only confident they can secure x amount of chips and ship by may 2021. So they've set a pre-order for x amount of units too.

Maybe, but why would you use something so specialized in a mass produced item? It is a very stupid move. Granted Analogue has never seemed to be the smartest in terms of production or business.

hatty posted:

It all seems odd, like how do you sell out of screen protectors and charging cables so quickly.

Well that is a simple one, after the pre-order systems are filled those that wanted extras would have bought them with the systems. Granted as badly as the site was running I am sure a lot of people who would have added stuff to it didn't, but I understand the way of thinking.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hatty posted:

I bet some folks just got whatever they could once the console sold out

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's probably a supply constraint on one of the components they need (screen?), and so they're taking preorders for the number of units they know they can produce timely.

Yeah it's probably the screen, ultra high resolution 4:3 panels aren't exactly common so it's probably a custom part.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think whoever provides their shipping calculator couldn't handle the amount of people trying to order. Other than forced scarcity, that's all on Analogue, that was the thing that prevented most complaints I see.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
How much are pre-orders being flipped for on eBay? Analogue stuff is nuts.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I bet some folks just got whatever they could once the console sold out

I was thinking about grabbing at least the dock just in case, but their shipping tends to be high enough that I would really only want to do one order.

I might wind up either modding a GBA or building a PiBoy in the meantime. GBA would probably be nicer, but I kinda want NGPC too and there don't seem to be as many screen options for those.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

pzy posted:

How much are pre-orders being flipped for on eBay? Analogue stuff is nuts.

Lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Top bidder: FrodoYolo-69420

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I hope people are reporting that poo poo. How are you gonna sell a thing you're not gonna get until next year to then ship to a buyer.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I hope people are reporting that poo poo. How are you gonna sell a thing you're not gonna get until next year to then ship to a buyer.

There are already 5+ sold preorder auctions on eBay all sold for 500 US dollars+. Cmon people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Desperately looking up skies of arcadia

Who wants to half :shepspends:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

repiv posted:

Yeah it's probably the screen, ultra high resolution 4:3 panels aren't exactly common so it's probably a custom part.

It's most likely using the same display panels as the Valve Index VR headset, which uses 1600x1440 LCD panels.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Leal posted:

Desperately looking up skies of arcadia

Who wants to half :shepspends:

Sigh, I sold a few of the games I knew were high value a while back - Cubivore and Pokemon Box were definitely two of the GameCube ones I sold - but I'm pretty sure I gave my 9 year old nephew my Skies of Arcadia in a box of GC & Wii games. Not sealed obviously, but I'm sure it still had the case and manual, and probably all the little insert cards too.

I should still have the DC version kicking around somewhere, and I know that was one of my non-burned games, maybe I should track that down at some point.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SoA:L in particular is probably my fave game of all time and I will never give up my copy

My box/manual/disc are beat to all hell though

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Djarum posted:

Maybe, but why would you use something so specialized in a mass produced item? It is a very stupid move. Granted Analogue has never seemed to be the smartest in terms of production or business.

The system is literally not possible without FPGAs and those are expensive and come from very few sources.

Then there's the screen - it's a very high end screen especially for a handheld device at that pricepoint.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

40-Degree Day posted:

There are already 5+ sold preorder auctions on eBay all sold for 500 US dollars+. Cmon people.

I'm bummed I missed out, but not bummed enough to buy a preorder off someone for asking price, let alone 500.

TVs Ian posted:

Sigh, I sold a few of the games I knew were high value a while back - Cubivore and Pokemon Box were definitely two of the GameCube ones I sold - but I'm pretty sure I gave my 9 year old nephew my Skies of Arcadia in a box of GC & Wii games. Not sealed obviously, but I'm sure it still had the case and manual, and probably all the little insert cards too.

I should still have the DC version kicking around somewhere, and I know that was one of my non-burned games, maybe I should track that down at some point.

One of my college roommates disappeared with my copy. I'm glad I picked up a second for 25 bucks a couple years later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My only retro game regret currently is that I didn't buy blood will tell. I actually bought one for $40 complete years ago but it got lost in the mail and I never bought another (got refunded). Now it's way too expensive for me.

I have so many pricy ps2 games except that one.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

40-Degree Day posted:

i am a game historian now

Retro Gaming Megathread: i am a game historian now

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Playing through some old PSX games, I loved MediEvil and it still has charm. I miss Dino Crisis, it's hammy as gently caress but I loved Resident Evil with raptors and the second game was a fun action romp.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

look at me

40-Degree Day posted:

i am a game historian now

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

if I have a history degree and play too many old video games can I call myself a video game historian? i'm gonna start doing this.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

40-Degree Day posted:

if I have a history degree and play too many old video games can I call myself a video game historian? i'm gonna start doing this.

You should make a youtube channel called Gaming Historian and talk about world history, but like, you're wearing a mario hat or smth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

I'd strangle my younger self for neglecting or outright destroying old games.

Null of Undefined posted:

You should make a youtube channel called Gaming Historian and talk about world history, but like, you're wearing a mario hat or smth.

Be sure to put a bookshelf with all your Gamer Gear to prove your Gamer Credit and you aren't just a fake gamer in frame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I knew about the Holocaust and have a degree in history but it never felt real to me until I saw a picture of Kristallnacht with a distressed Crash Bandicoot photoshopped in.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I knew about the Holocaust and have a degree in history but it never felt real to me until I saw a picture of Kristallnacht with a distressed Crash Bandicoot photoshopped in.

you know, I haven't checked this thread for a while so I just hit last post and :psyduck:

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Leal posted:

Be sure to put a bookshelf with all your Gamer Gear to prove your Gamer Credit and you aren't just a fake gamer in frame.

This is my favorite gamer youtube thing. I'd rather people not even show their face.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Caitlin posted:

you know, I haven't checked this thread for a while so I just hit last post and :psyduck:

For context:

(I don't have a history degree)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I do, and that image makes feel so much second hand embarrassment to have one and like MLP

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Djarum posted:

It's not a mass produced item though. The Analogue Pocket is a boutique item directed at the enthusiast market. Something mass produced would be those MIPS SoC emulation handhelds that are all over AliExpress.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

But it was marketed like a new playstation or xbox. The marketing leaked into mainstream gaming news so the demand was mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

40-Degree Day posted:

a lot of people are mad! i thought analogue would be better at this by now.

It's me, I'm mad about it. As someone who has a Mega SG, Super NT and NT Noir on the way... gently caress them. You start the hype for this thing almost a year ago, then tell people they have to wait almost a year to get it, and then you sell out within 10 minutes.

All of their other products, including the special editions, have been up for sale for at least numerous days. So if you were paying attention at all, you could have gotten every single one of their products. ( Except the Mega SG cartridge adapters. ) So even though I thought it was excessive and figured it would at least be available for a few days if not longer since it's not shipping for almost a year, I stayed awake all night for the pre-order and my bank marked it as a fraud purchase and I didn't get one.

If it was really this limited, it should have been one per person.

Overbite posted:

I was gonna sell Magic Knight Rayearth for saturn, which is going around $800 at the moment. I was worried about people doing paypal then doing a chargeback or using a stolen card or something. If it was some $20 game I wouldn't be worried but I don't want to lose this.

I actually don't know if this would help if there were an issue, but when I ship expensive items I video the whole process with my phone. Packaging it with the buyers address label, the drive to the post office, me giving the item to them and showing the tracking info. So at least if they say they got the wrong item I have something to show.

I've never been screwed over on Ebay as a seller yet, but there's always some risk. As mentioned, I wouldn't sell to anyone with no/low feedback and make sure they have a confirmed address.