Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
My 360 had its disc drive break, got it repaired. Then it started constantly overheating, got it repaired. Then it started red-ringing and I gave up and just bought a PS3. That 360 also shredded my Dead Rising disc because the console got jostled while it was running.

e: it kind of feels like the beginning of the 360/PS3 era still feels retro, but the consoles lasted for such a long time that they blended into the current generation. On the one hand I rented a ton of 360 games from Blockbuster back in the day, on the other hand I was still playing new releases on my PS3 up until 2016.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If a system is not currently on the shelves it’s retro. Pack it up gatekeepailures

Quit gatekeeping gatekeeping!

It's time to work out which PS3 and Xbox 360 games will be expensive and stock up now. Can't wait to retire on all of my copies of [throws dart] Operation Darkness.

Honestly, the PS3 and Xbox 360 might be the end of the line for things I want to collect. The AAA gaming that bloomed under them were games I didn't like and when the indie scene started reviving, virtual everything interesting went to PCs. My PS360 games occupy two shelves combined for me and I'm just not looking for many more games for them.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 28, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lost odyssey seems like itll be a valuable game at some point

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ChaosArgate posted:

VF5's a playable minigame in Yakuza 6 and Judgment, does that qualify it for being retro?

Yeah, uh, I'm not entirely sure mentioning it's playable like Outrun, Super Hang-On, Fantasy Zone, Puyo Puyo, etc makes it less old.

The one good thing is that those in-game VF5 are the Final Showdown version, which is significantly less old than the original VF5.

But the original VF5? That was a launch game for a system released in 2006 or 2007.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Quit gatekeeping gatekeeping!

It's time to work out which PS3 and Xbox 360 games will be expensive and stock up now. Can't wait to retire on all of my copies of [throws dart] Operation Darkness.

Honestly, the PS3 and Xbox 360 might be the end of the line for things I want to collect. The AAA gaming that bloomed under them were games I didn't like and when the indie scene started reviving, virtual everything interesting went to PCs. My PS360 games occupy two shelves combined for me and I'm just not looking for many more games for them.

I feel like ps3/360 is also the end of the line for having plenty of rare/obscure stuff.

A lot of ps4/Xbox one games are still available digitally and they will continue to do so on the new consoles. And there's still plenty of disc copies out there.

What you gotta watch out for is limited releases or delisted games. Like gravity rush Remastered, or godzilla. Or the forza horizon games since they get delisted after 4 years.

On a ps4 and later having a collection is less meaningful and you should be just getting games you want to play anyway (I know what is this madness) plus everything is like a cheap case with just a disc in it these days.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

lost odyssey seems like itll be a valuable game at some point

It has an improved backwards compatible digital version, so I don't think so.

Now those 360 game that made it to final packaging then got yanked from shelves, thats where the money is

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Now those 360 game that made it to final packaging then got yanked from shelves, thats where the money is

Finally, Too Human's time to shine!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Finally, Too Human's time to shine!
Too Human was re-released as a free digital download last year with Xbox One back-compat support, should you wish to inflict it upon yourself without sprinting for The Forbidden Plastics.

That one terrible X-Men game they did, though? Yeah, that's gonna be where the real money is. :retrogames:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mine works fine :shrug:
Mine worked the last time I tried it out. It was a refurb, so I'm wondering if it might be more resilient against the RROD if it was repaired already.

Though it, and my original fat PS3 which is also still trucking along, got barely any use. My Wii not all that much more than those two. I have kind of a gap in my gaming history with the generation of those 3 consoles and the DS/PSP where I had them all, but very few games and didn't play them much.

Probably because that was about when I started dating, got into a relationship that turned into a marriage, and most of my then-limited gaming time got eaten up by City of Heroes and WoW.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i still think theres something that sets the earliest consoles, before 3d capabilities, apart from everything that came after that will always leave them as more collectible than something like the ps3 ever will be. there will be some interest but nothing like the big wave of collection and price inflation that came with 8 and 16 bit people growing up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Collecting culture wasn't nearly the same then as it is now. Back then all this stuff was toys for kids. Now it's okay for adults to like things for kids.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kazvall posted:

Yeah but, how much money has nintendo made on handhelds? gently caress a console. Give me those DS figures, people!

That's probably exactly why Nintendo didn't mind too much losing when it came to home consoles during the 5th and 6th generations, they were the undisputed kings of mobile gaming for the entirety of that period and most of 7th too, I think what caused them to put so much effort into making the Switch a success was the decline of more conventional handheld gaming devices in the face of the rise of Smart Phones and "Freemium" games which meant they no longer had a guaranteed money maker to keep them going when a console ended up as a Wii-U instead ot a Wii

Barudak posted:

The Wii is Retro

The 360 becomes retro on November 10th, the PS3 on the 12th

Feels too soon for them, even considering how old they are in fact

Ineffiable posted:

I feel like ps3/360 is also the end of the line for having plenty of rare/obscure stuff.

A lot of ps4/Xbox one games are still available digitally and they will continue to do so on the new consoles. And there's still plenty of disc copies out there.

What you gotta watch out for is limited releases or delisted games. Like gravity rush Remastered, or godzilla. Or the forza horizon games since they get delisted after 4 years.

On a ps4 and later having a collection is less meaningful and you should be just getting games you want to play anyway (I know what is this madness) plus everything is like a cheap case with just a disc in it these days.

It's kinda funny that if we count digital collections(bought legitimately) the PS4 is the system I have the most games for, got like 400 games for it or something, probably helps that thanks to PlayStation Plus I add at least two free games to my collection every month and quite a few of their sales give good deals too

Of course of those games the ones I've played to any significant amount or beaten is a lot lower(probably only in the double digits), as I have a lot less patience for a lot of things games do these days

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

Too Human was re-released as a free digital download last year with Xbox One back-compat support, should you wish to inflict it upon yourself without sprinting for The Forbidden Plastics.

I'm going to point out for anyone tempted, do not play Too Human. It's a miserable slog.

Also, as a reminder the winner between the PS3 and Xbox 360 was the Wii as Nintendo sold 20 million more of them than their competitors. Plus had a larger cut of the software sales. Plus had the best selling gaming platform ever in the DS going at the same time. Nintendo would kill to "lose" like that all the time. This has been your regular reminder that video games are much, much larger than just nerds talking about them online.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to point out for anyone tempted, do not play Too Human. It's a miserable slog.

Also, as a reminder the winner between the PS3 and Xbox 360 was the Wii as Nintendo sold 20 million more of them than their competitors. Plus had a larger cut of the software sales. Plus had the best selling gaming platform ever in the DS going at the same time. Nintendo would kill to "lose" like that all the time. This has been your regular reminder that video games are much, much larger than just nerds talking about them online.

They lost in 5(N64) and 6(GameCube) not 7(Wii)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Random Stranger posted:

It's a big old turd, but the game does one thing that tickles part of my brain in a unique way: Sliding from one enemy to another with certain melee weapons feels amazing. It's like you're a human (or maybe TOO HUMAN) pinball bouncing between bumpers, using the analog stick to suggest which bland enemy to launch yourself towards next. That part never got old, as hard as the rest of the game tried to ruin it for me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Last time I looked into this it was totally the "AMP3D UP EDITION!!!" launch day crap with included statue and belt buckle. No thank you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

McCracAttack posted:

Last time I looked into this it was totally the "AMP3D UP EDITION!!!" launch day crap with included statue and belt buckle. No thank you.

Oh man, this was the era when the super lovely COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS started! I cannot wait for people figure out all those huge statues and other plastic garbage bits are worth nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXm5A2dq3g

..I hope?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I take back what I said. I am going to collect all of the terrible collector's editions and pay $2 for each of them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where are all my Atari Lynx fans at?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

:hfive:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

First task after getting my Turbo Duo: where the gently caress did I leave those CD-R's since the last time I used them twelve years ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh man, this was the era when the super lovely COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS started! I cannot wait for people figure out all those huge statues and other plastic garbage bits are worth nothing.

..I hope?

What I hate was in early days, collector's editions were super cool. They'd cost like $10-20 more and come with an art book and a map and some other goodies.

But then they realized there was a market of whales who would pay $100 more for a ugly plastic figure that costs $20 to make that nobody would buy on its own.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I like the Catherine collector's edition because it came with a pizza box and underwear

the Yakuza 5 or 6 one came with cool drink glasses

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Code Jockey posted:

I like the Catherine collector's edition because it came with a pizza box and underwear

the Yakuza 5 or 6 one came with cool drink glasses

Yeah, the Yakuza sets that came with the drinking glasses are probably the coolest special edition sets I can think of in recent memory.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Got two of them, both Mark II's, one with a perfect screen, the other with a fairly faulty screen. Looking at doing the McWills screen mod on the faulty one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God drat who wants to have all of that useless poo poo lying around their house? I don't get it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

God drat who wants to have all of that useless poo poo lying around their house? I don't get it.

Thread title

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what thread you're in, right? :v:

Secret shame time: I don't own a lot of collector's editions even as a collector, but I do have Ultima: Ascension Dragon's Edition.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like old games just fine. I just don't need to look at the boxes they might have been packaged in.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I like old games just fine. I just don't need to look at the boxes they might have been packaged in.

I have a weakness for old big box PC games. I still have a CIB copy of Baldur's Gate 2 and I will be buried with it damnit!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only collectors edition I have is Yakuza 0 which comes with a cool business card holder

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My line in the sand with retro gaming is the point at which it is still possible to play the full base game (or a rerelease that includes extra content without the need to download it) without an Internet connection.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

..I hope?

I mean, that was one of WD's big things on PS1. The Galleon puppet, the really bad smelling map, the amulet you could absolutely brain someone with..

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I bought the Destiny limited edition mostly for the expansion pass and it came in a lovely steelbook and included a few nice little art prints and a couple of art/lore paperbacks, I think? It was all stuff that I spent maybe half an hour going over saying Oooo over and it probably wasn't worth the extra £10 or whatever compared to just buying the first wave of DLC separately but opening the big box it all came in made me feel some kinda fleeting joy.

The only other collectors' edition I've ever bought was Dead Rising 2 which probably has the weirdest packaging of any game I've owned. Also the syringe is a pen.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Random Stranger posted:

Secret shame time: I don't own a lot of collector's editions even as a collector, but I do have Ultima: Ascension Dragon's Edition.

I used to have this and I have no idea where it went, which is odd because it's hard to lose considering it's the size of a box of cereal. Easily the biggest game box I've ever seen. I never did get the game running well enough to play it for more than a few minutes without crashing, but the cloth map was cool.

Now I'm getting nostalgic for old PC games that came in enormous boxes for absolutely no reason beyond taking up as much shelf space as possible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I bought the Destiny limited edition for the expansion pass too, but it was the 360 version months after the game came out and it was like $30. Gave away the game, wound up throwing out all the doodads.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

I have a Lynx and the cartridge slot stopped working. I haven't figured out a fix for it yet. Hopefully I can buy all the Pocket adapters when that releases.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jadius posted:

I used to have this and I have no idea where it went, which is odd because it's hard to lose considering it's the size of a box of cereal. Easily the biggest game box I've ever seen. I never did get the game running well enough to play it for more than a few minutes without crashing, but the cloth map was cool.

Now I'm getting nostalgic for old PC games that came in enormous boxes for absolutely no reason beyond taking up as much shelf space as possible.

The thing is, all core Ultima games from 2 through 8 came with cloth maps. And everything from 4 to 8 came with some kind of feelie. 9 required that you got the giant box edition to get that.

I remember I bought it and then walked across the way to the mall movie theater to watch Princess Mononoke on opening night. It was me my brother, and one old couple in the theater...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've actually gone out of my way to avoid special editions of games. I like a nice uniform shelf of games where all the cases are the same size and color and the labels all use the same trade dress. For that reason I hate "Greatest Hits" editions too.

Also not a fan of the surprise "Day One" edition you didn't know was a thing until your Amazon pre-order shows up.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

Got two of them, both Mark II's, one with a perfect screen, the other with a fairly faulty screen. Looking at doing the McWills screen mod on the faulty one.

Bennvenn has a lynx screen out, it's much cheaper and ships from Australia.