Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«91 »
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

But I mean, if you want to play Metal Slug, there's easier and less expensive ways to do it than importing it for the Saturn.

IMO the absolute best Metal Slug (1) is the NGCD version. Strangely for the system, loading is not a problem at all and due to the nature of the NGCD the game is arcade perfect, but with added bonuses like an awesome art gallery, and "combat school" which has (iirc) time attack/speedrun mode and survival mode. 15Khz RGB, the way it's meant to be played. It's an expensive game to own legit but you can play burned NGCD games without a mod chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

*~*~ CONJURE ~*~ ~*~* FOOD *~*~*

The arcade D&D Saturn port combo also needs the 4MB cart.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For those asking, I have a Gamer's Cartridge and I dig it. Its biggest features are Pseudo Saturn Kai and saving to an SD card. I'm great at losing my saves, so it's a good feature for me. The creator, cafe-alpha, is also working on adding cheat functionality, but it's not finished (per his blog). He's also a super nice guy who values good feedback.

In my experience, the compatibility is very high. The only game I've run into serious problems with is HOTD, which won't start unless you ditch the SD save functionality. Not a big loss for that game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Has anyone been following the Star Control bullshit concerning the original creators vs. Stardock? It's gotten to the point where Stardock is basically saying the creators (Fred Ford and Paul Reiche) are overstating their involvement and that they didn't actually create anything, what the gently caress: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...cks-trademarks/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't been following it but gently caress Brad Wardell, I don't care if he's in the right I just want that guy to sell Stardock to someone else and go away. I'm glad the Toys for Bob guys are probably swimming in money after Skylanders to afford the legal battle.

e: Their claim is full of poo poo anyway, not just because it's the most pedantic nonsense, but Reiche and Ford are like 2 out of 5 people who worked on Star Control and in Star Control 2 they're credited for nearly every position. Those guys built the engine, designed the game, wrote it, did the art and the sound effects. The music is the only thing they didn't work on.

Also holy crap, Erol Otus worked on StarCon 2! One of my favorite weird 70s D&D artists and now I totally see the art influence.

al-azad fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2018 around 05:13

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

I have a spare modded white saturn I should probably sell...

Check your PMs.

Kikkoman
Nov 27, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Went to my local game shop yesterday, broke down and bought a new Retron 5 after frying my last one with the wrong power brick.

While I was there, I picked up Sim City, NHL 94 and Super Tennis for CAD$30. I want to find a copy of Ken Griffey baseball eventually, but are there other good cheaper sports titles I should look out for along the way on SNES?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kikkoman posted:

Went to my local game shop yesterday, broke down and bought a new Retron 5 after frying my last one with the wrong power brick.

While I was there, I picked up Sim City, NHL 94 and Super Tennis for CAD$30. I want to find a copy of Ken Griffey baseball eventually, but are there other good cheaper sports titles I should look out for along the way on SNES?

return the retron 5 and get a super NT if you need an easy HDMI SNES. there's absolutely no reason for the retron anymore

«91 »