Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

The United States posted:

Not to mention the many Playstation games that have 480p menu screens:

lol ereignis. i didnt even know there was a german translation for gran turismo. made me think of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

480p PS1 games (all 3 of 'em) prolly look better better on the M but look at the 6 in the timer there. on the M, at lease in that pic, it looks jagged like an emulator, not like a game running at it's OG resolution like it does on the P

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's not running at its native resolution on either display. super mario bros runs at 256x224 and it's being blown up to 320x240 to fill the screens on both devices

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Weedle posted:

it's not running at its native resolution on either display. super mario bros runs at 256x224 and it's being blown up to 320x240 to fill the screens on both devices

its not being blown up to anything on the 350p. it has a small black border around it. its running at its original resolution (yes with a black border).

on the m it is being blown up to 2x its original size, with a black border added.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wait a second i just noticed that's the game boy color version of smb, not the nes version. so it's definitely being scaled to fill the screen if it's that big on the 350p. those black borders are the screen bezels btw

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

480p PS1 games (all 3 of 'em) prolly look better better on the M but look at the 6 in the timer there. on the M, at lease in that pic, it looks jagged like an emulator, not like a game running at it's OG resolution like it does on the P
That's not running at the OG resolution at all, it's the gameboy color version of Super Mario Bros which natively ran at 160×144 (look at Mario's size on the screen, or the status bar)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 5, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

compare the diagonal lines on the hills in the screenshot vs photo too. at native res that should be a perfectly even line at a 45 degree angle but in the photo the pixel sizes are inconsistent. it looks kind of bad on both devices in that photo because of their scaling settings. on the 350m you can set game boy games to display at 3x (480x432), which fills most of the screen and keeps the image crisp and proportioned just like the game boy. you're more limited on the 350p because 160x144 is tiny but the resolution isn't high enough for even 2x (320x288). so you get to choose between a postage stamp, inconsistent pixel sizes (as shown), or a blurry image. not great. whoever took those photos doesn't seem to have done any of this though

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Weedle posted:

compare the diagonal lines on the hills in the screenshot vs photo too. at native res that should be a perfectly even line at a 45 degree angle but in the photo the pixel sizes are inconsistent. it looks kind of bad on both devices in that photo because of their scaling settings. on the 350m you can set game boy games to display at 3x (480x432), which fills most of the screen and keeps the image crisp and proportioned just like the game boy. you're more limited on the 350p because 160x144 is tiny but the resolution isn't high enough for even 2x (320x288). so you get to choose between a postage stamp, inconsistent pixel sizes (as shown), or a blurry image. not great. whoever took those photos doesn't seem to have done any of this though

yeah you can tell the scaling is hosed in the SMB. 3 pic as well

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

How's it going guys, we arguin' about pixels!?

A couple of years ago I said if Magic Knight Rayearth ever hit $600 I'd sell my complete copy. Now CIB copies are going for $800-$900 and I'm kinda :stonk:.

I'm still balking because I know it's the kind thing if I ever got rid of I'd never see again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
After a few pages have we come to a satisfactory... Resolution?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This did inspire me to get my GBI setup adjusted off of a non-even scaling, at least.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

peter gabriel posted:

I think you should scan.. your lines...

gently caress

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Every so often people talk about resolution and 480 I's and P's and stuff and I'm just... maybe I should just see about getting something better than composite cables for my systems? Is s-video even a thing people use now?

The only thing I have component for is my PS2.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Every so often people talk about resolution and 480 I's and P's and stuff and I'm just... maybe I should just see about getting something better than composite cables for my systems? Is s-video even a thing people use now?

I've actually found myself dragging my stock NES out of storage to hook it with with composite from time to time. The NES signal noise is just so distinct that it's become part of the nostalgia for me. But that's the only system I have that sort of crummy video nostalgia for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm not alone! I'm not alone!

though it's due to laziness and excuses more than anything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta upgrade to coaxial the way games were meant to be played

Weedle
May 31, 2006

real heads know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't loving believe this. I mean I really don't loving believe this. I got an order from amazon.co.jp today. Part of that order was a set of Famicom games including one that I've ordered three different times and never had it arrive. But here's the box, let me cut through this "repacked by DHL" tape and...

(Note: I did not remove packing material.)

Somebody stole my Famicom games. Amazon's contact e-mails said they sent five items. I have a packing slip with five items. So there's a 95% chance that they were stolen or misplaced when DHL repackaged it.

I am furious. Not even getting the 3D glasses feels good on this one.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Holy poo poo that's terrible

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rinkles posted:

i love peeking into the universe of forgotten (mostly bad) games

(Iblard Laputa no Kaeru Machi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbi_-cRJ4Zw

Whoaaaa. Its like King's Field but set in Laputa? That's wild!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Quiet Feet posted:

I still do s-video on my Gamecube connected to my crt, though I have a 2nd one with the first Eon hdmi adapter on another tv, but I actually use it less. S-video is worth it to me and probably good enough for most people I'd think, but I also get why people would prefer composite as well.

I still just do composite for my NES and modded 2600, not sure if I will mod my NES ever, I go back and forth. Everything else I did end up doing component either native or through rgb mods + hdretrovision cables. Just tore my entire crt set up down 2 nights ago to install the Gcompsw I pictured a few pages back. Didn't realize how long my previous component switch messed with the picture even before it started showing lines. Took my time with cable management and outside of possibly going for component on my Gamecube down the line, I think I am complete with my setup for the foreseeable future.

I got some of those gamecube fan mounts from LaserBear to put in the 50mm silent fan. Also found a PS2 fat 3d printed fan mount on Amazon to install a Noctua to quiet that thing down.

Side note: my oldest wants to play Four Swords Adventure together but I only have 1 gba to gamecube link cable, so if anyone has extras I am looking to buy 2 or more to play together now and possibly with all 3 of my kids when they are all old enough. Have a buying thread on SAmart.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I don't loving believe this. I mean I really don't loving believe this. I got an order from amazon.co.jp today. Part of that order was a set of Famicom games including one that I've ordered three different times and never had it arrive. But here's the box, let me cut through this "repacked by DHL" tape and...

(Note: I did not remove packing material.)

Somebody stole my Famicom games. Amazon's contact e-mails said they sent five items. I have a packing slip with five items. So there's a 95% chance that they were stolen or misplaced when DHL repackaged it.

I am furious. Not even getting the 3D glasses feels good on this one.

This is super lovely, but if it makes you feel any better, Amazon is super good about replacing stuff. A quick message to their chat support and they get you a replacement in no time. I went through a similar thing a few months back with a monitor, but I couldn't get a replacement since it was out of stock.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is super lovely, but if it makes you feel any better, Amazon is super good about replacing stuff. A quick message to their chat support and they get you a replacement in no time. I went through a similar thing a few months back with a monitor, but I couldn't get a replacement since it was out of stock.

I've already reached out to Amazon and DHL on this. I'm fairly confident that Amazon isn't at fault on this one since they held off shipping for a week while one of the games came in, and all of the documentation from them is all five items were in the box. I don't have a lot of faith in DHL making this whole. They're checking their misplaced articles bin on the shipping route, but that seems like a longshot.

The weird thing is that it's just the Famicom games missing. I've got two Switch games in there and that's gotta be a better grab for someone slipping things into a pocket than Famicom games. And if you're stealing Famicom stuff, why leave the glasses? They're even from different sources on the Amazon side...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Random Stranger posted:

I've already reached out to Amazon and DHL on this. I'm fairly confident that Amazon isn't at fault on this one since they held off shipping for a week while one of the games came in, and all of the documentation from them is all five items were in the box. I don't have a lot of faith in DHL making this whole. They're checking their misplaced articles bin on the shipping route, but that seems like a longshot.

The weird thing is that it's just the Famicom games missing. I've got two Switch games in there and that's gotta be a better grab for someone slipping things into a pocket than Famicom games. And if you're stealing Famicom stuff, why leave the glasses? They're even from different sources on the Amazon side...

Could always be plain old incompetence!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Unless it's coming in a separate box or something you can always file a charge back with your credit card company. That sucks. I had that happen with a laptop once (I mailed a laptop to Asus for warranty repair and they claimed I shipped them an empty box).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Quiet Feet posted:

I'd say it probably depends on what you're playing it on, but s-video is almost always an improvement over composite. Also rarely expensive and the RetroTINK is a good option for using it with modern displays.

I use S-video for my N64 and Saturn. I feed them to a RetroTINK2x and just have that hooked into my HDMI switch. Pretty straightforward and way better than composite. You can sometimes squeeze a bit more out of component for systems that do RGB out by default like the Genesis, but I've never seen a comparison shot that made me go "Yeah, I can justify a set of 70 dollar HD Retrovision cables and a 20 dollar adapter to make the Saturn look marginally better."

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

post the best game gear box art. oh wait it’s this

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

I'm actually more confused now than I was this morning :lol:

Quiet Feet posted:

S video is drastically better than composite. Yes people still use s video. Not too long ago I got a 36" 2001 Sony Trinitron for free on Craigslist and it doesn't have component so I use s video which looks fantastic.

When using something like a Framemeister on an HDTV then the benefit of RGB becomes a little more obvious, mostly in the colors. But the picture on s video is pretty much just as sharp.

My obsession with video quality manifested when I was in high school and my friend calls me up and says "hey I bought the wrong cable for my Dreamcast, if your parents' TV has s video would you mind trading with me" and I reluctantly said yes. I turned the Dreamcast on and just the Sega logo alone blew my balls off.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought a gamecube what do I need to do to get a ode in it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Empress Brosephine posted:

I just bought a gamecube what do I need to do to get a ode in it

Buy a GCloader the next time they're available. Drop it in with the Laserbear mount and go to town.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GCLoaders are available right now!

Also be sure to get a screwdriver to open the Gamecube. There are a lot of screws inside but they're pretty big and it's an easy install.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ALSO: Don't be shy about drilling out the holes on the Laserbear mount using a pilot drill bit. They're printed super tight and can stand to be bored out a little bit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks all. Where can I get the special screwdriver

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sweet thanks all. Where can I get the special screwdriver

I have an iFixIt bit driver kit that has them but if you don't need a whole kit, just get a 4.5mm GameBit screwdriver.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet everything's purchased, can't wait to play eternal darkness again

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sweet everything's purchased, can't wait to play eternal darkness again

Can GCLoaders still not save their settings to their own SD cards? Y'all might want to warn them about that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh yeah get an SP2SD2 adapter if you want to save settings. Get a tiny SD card for it too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you mean by settings

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have an iFixIt bit driver kit that has them but if you don't need a whole kit, just get a 4.5mm GameBit screwdriver.

I will say that iFixit Driver kit is by FAR the best quality driver kit I have ever touched. A problem with a lot of special bits is with the more affordable options the quality of the casts are not great at all, leading to you stripping security bits very easily. Not a problem with the iFixits in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What do you mean by settings

Like you can save the video output settings rather than having to set them up each time you boot the console. It's a strange limitation and it's supposedly to be fixed at some point.