Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

why did noa decide to make the snes in America so ugly and bland?

did they think people were going to make fun of it for having colorful buttons on the controller? I love colorful buttons

Apparently it was to match the Game Boy. The color purple on the snes is the same color purple as the Gameboy logo and on the lens border.

I actually love the way the American snes looks but I legitimately have no idea if it's nostalgia and how much I love the system.

I like the SFC design too but it looks too much like a generic late 80s computer device to me. The American SNES looks like its own entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never had a snes as a kid, but I grabbed the na style snes 8bitdo over the jp version. It just looks better in muted colors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like the way the US SNES looks but I also fully am aware that it’s because I grew up wanting one and playing them at friends houses.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Console rankings by style:

Master System
Genesis High Res Graphics
Saturn
Dreamcast
Everyone else

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

frogbs posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all! I think i'm going to start with Zero Mission.

Also, on a completely different topic: Is the Xbox port of Guardian Heroes the only modern Sega Saturn port? I honestly can't think of another Saturn game that was ported to something past PS/PS2. From what I remember reading they had access to the actual source code, which was the only reason it was even possible. Would love it if Guardian Heroes made it to Switch someday, it deserves to be played by more people.

Princess Crown got ported to PSP and PS4, no version ever got released outside of Japan though. Also Daytona USA got an HD port on 360/PS3 but I’m not sure if it’s technically a port of the Saturn version or the arcade version

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Apparently it was to match the Game Boy. The color purple on the snes is the same color purple as the Gameboy logo and on the lens border.
It's funny how they matched those colors and not the raspberry colored buttons.

Anyways it's telling that the G Classic edition 8BitDo is clearly the best one and they didn't continue with the Sn edition for the Pro 2.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

frogbs posted:

Where should someone start if they’ve never played a Metroid game before? Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission?

inclined to also say zero mission. I like the first metroid the best, probably mostly due to primacy and nostalgia, but there are objective arguments that could be raised around its primal gameplay and aesthetics. zero mission does a pretty good job at being nes metroid but with prettier graphics and modern conveniences.

if you want the full metroid experience and you have the nerves, guts and patience for it, a famicom/fds or mister running a translated copy of the fds release and a pad of graph paper is really the way to go. at least once

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
either of the gba metroids are good to start out with and by the time you're done with whichever one you pick you'll have a good enough idea of what to expect out of the series to handle super metroid just fine

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
Everyone else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's funny how they matched those colors and not the raspberry colored buttons.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Random Stranger posted:

The Famicom added composite in that redesign. :v:

I know which is why I did not say Famicom/Super Famicom

The AV Famicom is the best of the four, all the function, none of the screwups (Hardwired controllers/RF, faulty NES10/slot, composite removal/Game Genie stopping bulge) and it works with a Genesis 1 power supply, no stepdown needed.

Not sure on Analogue NT mini/noir though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It also has the Famicom accessory port.

It really is the best NES.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m a huge fan of the original sg-1000 and its mark ii revision, but for different reasons

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
Everyone else

fz-1 3do should be on this list above saturn, as should the twin famicom (both styles) and x'eye

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My first and only Metroid was supereyrpid and I loved it. But I reccomend using save states.

I've started Metroid prime like thirty times over the years but it's just never clicked

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fz-1 3do should be on this list above saturn, as should the twin famicom (both styles) and x'eye

And the top of the list should be the wondermega:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A list of stylish consoles with no View-Master Interactive Vision isn't very credible.

The Casio PV-1000 is pretty hot for the early 80's.

The Odyssey is pretty neat looking.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 10, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Monitor Burn posted:

:vince: I’ve never seen this before, it rules.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Weedle posted:

i’m a huge fan of the original sg-1000 and its mark ii revision, but for different reasons

Oh wow, the Mark II rules!

I think my pref for SNES would be SFC + colourful buttons + the US button shapes.

I'd also like to get my hands on the Japan-only slim version of the Neo Geo Pocket Color someday:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Monitor Burn posted:

I forgot how cool the Wondermega looks

however,

Random Stranger posted:

PC-FX
Everyone else

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

drat, I've never seen the Wondermega before. Only the X'Eye. Wondermega looks way cooler for sure.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Densha de Go people, mainly Random Stranger, does the controller -- the train controller -- have to be plugged into player 1? Can it be used in the player 2 port as well? I imagine it does need to be in the player 1 port, but it'd save a lot of plugging and unplugging if it can sit alongside my Brooks Adapter or other controller etc.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So frustrated at the moment, been trying to get a Hexen DVD to work on my modded OG Xbox so I can format and setup the new HDD.

Tried the new version of Hexen, no go, drive will start to read the burnt DVD but go nowhere. Same when I tried a copy of Hexen 2018.

Do the Thomson drives have issues with burnt DL DVDs? The drive reads game discs fine, and I did burn the DVDs at the slowest speed

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Astal is a pretty game with inexplicably grotesque character design

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Densha de Go people, mainly Random Stranger, does the controller -- the train controller -- have to be plugged into player 1? Can it be used in the player 2 port as well? I imagine it does need to be in the player 1 port, but it'd save a lot of plugging and unplugging if it can sit alongside my Brooks Adapter or other controller etc.

I just tried it with DdG! Professional and the controller had to be in port 1.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
For other Densha sickos, here's a post from someone from the Densha discord about mods for the plug and play

There are 2 mods:
One adds the missing station chimes back into the game (https://github.com/GMMan/dengo-plug-and-play-chimes-patch ).
The other gives you the option to switch to a controller mode on boot (https://github.com/GMMan/dengo-plug-and-play-controller ).
Both are great ddgheart

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

As someone who has played all the 2D metroids and didn't play Super until a few years ago, be forewarned that Super has slightly jank controls for some things. It was probably fine at the time but in the modern age I think it feels a bit dated because of course it does. Still a pretty good game, just sayin be aware that you'll have to switch items out with menus a lot and so on. Buttons could be more intelligently laid out is basically what I'm trying to say? Also playing original Metroid is going to be a very retro experience for similar reasons of design and limitations (no map and whatnot). Metroid 2 is surprisingly more accessible in this regard, I feel. They're real good games for their time but the GBA ones and especially AM2R just have several extra years of build up iteration to work from. Also, AM2R fuckin rules.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 10, 2021

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through Breath of Fire 1 for the first time....there's alot of random battles drat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fixins posted:

Playing through Breath of Fire 1 for the first time....there's alot of random battles drat.

I wish there would be mods for all those old JRPGs where you could reduce the spawn encounter and accordingly adjust the exp+currency received for the fewer encounters. It would make a ton of games like BOF way more enjoyable.

I have felt like this since the very early 00's, that grinding sucks, that the giant cave in FF1 is absurd, so it's weird that I rarely (if ever) see these sort of mods out there. I'm still on the lookout for a Skies of Arcadia mod for the Dreamcast that fixes the stupid encounter rate -- there's something which removes the encounter rate completely (and doesn't adjust the exp accordingly) but it's only available for the (arguably) worse Gamecube version of the game, so meh.

I guess I could try to "mod" them myself by learning how to use cheat tables, but I've never looked into the whole gameshark/gamegenie stuff before. I'd prefer not to think about it. Just play a patched game and go along for the journey.

Like, I love experiencing JRPGs, but I feel like many would be better off as a sprint than a marathon. So, my point is that a well made mod that keeps the challenge but removes the annoying parts would make a bunch of 16/32-bit JRPGs that much better. FF8 was super ahead in that area, now that I think about it, between the encounter rate manipulation skills and how enemies adjusted to your party's level -- it just wasn't perfectly executed.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2021

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in really enjoying it despite it's shortcomings (why does every npc say the exact same thing) but alit of battles

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and the gba version default.name for Ryu is Zack which I didn't notice that was annoyinf

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can buy Mrbl3 items to stop the encounters for a bit, you don't need to fight too many battles so it's good to stock up on them when you get tired of fighting. Though I think only the early towns stock them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
BoF2 I remember being alright too. It had a cool fusion system at least

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hatty posted:

BoF2 I remember being alright too. It had a cool fusion system at least

The thing I remember about Breath of Fire 2 is that the catgirl had a Donald Duck thing going on where she wore a shirt and no pants and that made me go :crossarms: . I get "why" someone made that character design choice (:furcry:), but I just don't know why that character design went forward without anybody going, "Hold on a second..."

Anyone need a pachinko machine?

(I think it would cost you about ten times as much to ship it as it would to buy...)

Also, what?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Been playing through Fire Emblem Gaiden and having mixed feelings about it. Not taking into consideration of difficulty options of the later games, it seems like the hardest FE game in my opinion. Game seems to require and expect you to do a ton of grinding, which I found out the hard way when I got softlocked and stuck because my team wasn't strong enough and had to start over. Even though the game allows for two different saves, you can't use both for one playthrough so you can't save at a safe spot where you could go back and grind if you needed to.

Mixed feelings because of mainly the Angel Ring. If you wear it, you get double stats on level up. Which sounds awesome, except it feels like the game intends for you to take advantage and optimize the use of it through grinding. So not only do you have to grind, but you have to do it in a way where you are swapping the stupid ring around. I looked into it and apparently they removed the double stat gains on the 3DS remake, which sounds like a good change.

Also, some levels feel like they are beat by luck/rng rather than skill. There were a few, but the one specifically that comes to mind has you in a swamp where most of your characters can move 1-2 tiles a turn while taking damage in the swamp and at the end of a map is a shaman that will spawn 0-9 zombie dragons per turn until you kill him... The only real strategies I saw here were getting lucky with the dragon spawns and having pegasus knights strong enough to take hits from several other enemies while making a straight line to the shaman, or having known of this encounter ahead of time and grinded to the point where you might be able to tank zombie dragons in a swamp that does damage to you over time.

There are locations on the map that spawn enemies and if you aren't prepaired/leveled enough, you can be put in a situation where you start those enemy encounters and the stage/positioning of your characters is lovely and you are guaranteed to lose a party member.

Quality of life wise it's a huge improvement over the first game, no annoying inventory issues. The overworld map and 2 party system is really cool. Pending any annoying/bad poo poo going forward I still think it's probably a 4/5 game even with it's flaws.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Phantasium posted:

You can buy Mrbl3 items to stop the encounters for a bit, you don't need to fight too many battles so it's good to stock up on them when you get tired of fighting. Though I think only the early towns stock them.

You can just warp back to the first town and get like 100 of them (they're extremely cheap). You do need to fight a few random battles at the very beginning of the game to be ready for the first boss fight, but after that you can just spam Mrbl3 and never fight any randoms for the entire rest of the game.

The other BOF games are sadly not this way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have a new contender for worst Famicom game. Manhattan Police a.k.a. Street Cop is a Family Trainer game with a terrible interface that doesn't really work and it plays terribly as you wander around beating suspects. There's no penalty for beating up innocent people, either, which is a joke that writes itself. Even if it wasn't about the NYPD, the perfect cherry on top is the game includes racist caricatures. Scanning a video of the US version, I think they were removed when they redid the art, but you get your giant lips in the Famicom version...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

rujasu posted:

You can just warp back to the first town and get like 100 of them (they're extremely cheap). You do need to fight a few random battles at the very beginning of the game to be ready for the first boss fight, but after that you can just spam Mrbl3 and never fight any randoms for the entire rest of the game.

The other BOF games are sadly not this way.

Yeah, but you don't start with the warp, and there's a healthy gap between the last town that sells those items and when you can warp whenever.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm in too deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm in too deep

That's not "too deep". You don't even have the pocketwatch.