Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

Anyone have experience with a good quality, low latency hdmi to component adapter? With yesterday’s 15% off eBay purchased, I broke down and ordered the Eon HDMI adapter for the GameCube instead of waiting for the badassconsole hdmi+component adapter. So if I can get a hdmi to component for less than $40 I may do that to see how it compares to svideo on my crt. Plus I have a roku and Blu Ray player on a hdmi to composite that I wouldn’t mind using on component instead.

I can tell you how it will look compared to S-Video: colors will be a bit more "rich". I don't find there to be much of a difference in sharpness. The differences are more noticeable on an LCD or plasma to me. Keep in mind this is with 8 and 16 bit games. The differences for the gamecube will be even less obvious since the graphics have a lot more going on.

I wouldn't bother with RGB on a crt unless it was a PVM or something. S-Video is wonderful.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I can tell you how it will look compared to S-Video: colors will be a bit more "rich". I don't find there to be much of a difference in sharpness. The differences are more noticeable on an LCD or plasma to me.

I wouldn't bother with RGB on a crt unless it was a PVM or something. S-Video is wonderful.

Cool, I did a comparison of my svideo gamecube to component Wii using MK:DD and thats basically what I saw with the comparison. Sharpness was close, a bit noticeable overall (maybe placebo) but hard to tell when comparing close up and switching inputs on the tv. Colors were more noticeable but mostly in the yellow/white and the vibrancy of the reds.

I know the GC component cables are slightly better than Wii in sharpness and color, and, going by review videos, the GC HDMI adapters make a bigger difference since they are even sharper than the component cables, especially with 480i, though that may be only due to line doubling.

Ya, since I have an extra analog only gamecube will just leave that on the crt and keep my other GC on my Hdtv upstairs. Since both are mine are silver and I want either indigo or spice orange (with region mod) console in the future, maybe I'll just wait until I decide to swap the analog only silver for one of those to get BAC's hdmi+component adapters or some other component solution for my CRT. Though by the time I get around to that, I may be into total upscale/HDMI only mods.

But if anyone does have any recommendations on a cheap HDMI to component adapters with low latency, I may still get one so I can upgrade my hdmi to composite adapter anyhow now that I have another component switch box.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This makes me want to raise $225,000 to pay Wardell's ransom, but Stardock can only have it on the condition that Wardell shoves the entirety of it (in small bills) up his rear end.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FireMrshlBill posted:

Cool, I did a comparison of my svideo gamecube to component Wii using MK:DD and thats basically what I saw with the comparison. Sharpness was close, a bit noticeable overall (maybe placebo) but hard to tell when comparing close up and switching inputs on the tv. Colors were more noticeable but mostly in the yellow/white and the vibrancy of the reds.
Did you enable progressive scan on the game (hold B while booting up a compatible Gamecube game, even if you've already selected progressive scan in the Wii settings)? 480p should be a very noticeable upgrade over S-video 480i.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Morbid posted:

Did you enable progressive scan on the game (hold B while booting up a compatible Gamecube game, even if you've already selected progressive scan in the Wii settings)? 480p should be a very noticeable upgrade over S-video 480i.

He's using an SD CRT I believe

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I notice a pretty big difference between s-video and component on a wega using a RGB SCART-> component adapter (on SD 240P and 480i content). There is a definite improvement in sharpness and a generally less "noisy" image

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

I notice a pretty big difference between s-video and component on a wega using a RGB SCART-> component adapter (on SD 240P and 480i content). There is a definite improvement in sharpness and a generally less "noisy" image

Was it an HD Wega?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

He's using an SD CRT I believe

Yep, 27" Trinitron Wega (one of the SD Wega's).

d0s posted:

Thats what I am wondering if HDMI to component will be able to accomplish with little added lag (since the HDMI adapter has a frame or so less lag than the official component cables), and be enough of an improvement over s-video to justify the extra $30-$40 for the adapter.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 21, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Was it an HD Wega?

nope one of the 27" SD models

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After spending hours playing Final Fantasy 6 on the Super NT, I watched a retrospective on the game on youtube. He used the GBA version. Even accounting for the fact that it was blown up for my TV, holy crap the GBA version is ugly and sounds terrible. Night and day difference. The updated script is not worth that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My Gyruss score got verified at last.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nice!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
has anyone watched the classic game room "lord karnage" guys series on amazon prime, "Classic Game Room 2085"?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Congratulations!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nice work!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Zand posted:

has anyone watched the classic game room "lord karnage" guys series on amazon prime, "Classic Game Room 2085"?

I may have... or was it just his announcement that I am remembering? Watched a bunch of his YouTube stuff, put EDF on my radar, thankfully.

Detective No. 27 posted:

After spending hours playing Final Fantasy 6 on the Super NT, I watched a retrospective on the game on youtube. He used the GBA version. Even accounting for the fact that it was blown up for my TV, holy crap the GBA version is ugly and sounds terrible. Night and day difference. The updated script is not worth that.

When I get my GameCube HDMI adapter, that’s probably one of the first games I plan to play on it even though I have the SNES classic edition and am in the process of offloading my boxed SNES copy. If the Switch has taught me anything , it is portability is a big plus even if in sacrifice of graphics.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 22, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zand posted:

I didn't know he was on Amazon Prime, but I've subscribed to his youtube channel for a good while now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mark Bussler left YouTube because it's an awful venue for his content. Listen to his new interview with Pat Contri. Mark tears into YouTube. He is very uncharacteristically pissed off at what YouTube became.

Thanks for the reminder, I didn't realize how fast he'd be on Amazon.

FireMrshlBill posted:

When I get my GameCube HDMI adapter, that’s probably one of the first games I plan to play on it even though I have the SNES classic edition and am in the process of offloading my boxed SNES copy. If the Switch has taught me anything , it is portability is a big plus even if in sacrifice of graphics.

I love me the Switch as much as the next guy. But this is a slight difference than a hit in resolution. The GBA version looks sunbleached. And the music is just gross.

I own a boxed copy of FF6 on GBA, and I played through it a decade ago, so I know it's something you can get used to. It's just that the difference between the two versions is much starker than I had realized. More power to you if you wanted to go the route you are, but at least check out a comparison. (I am aware that they had to make games lighter on GBA to accommodate the original backlight-less screen.)

So dilemma. I've been really wanting a copy of Chrono Trigger. My shop has a copy, $90. But the label is pretty badly damaged. Looks like maybe they ripped a rental store sticker off of it. Should I get it or wait for a more expensive better looking copy? I'm thinking that if I get it I could be sacrilegious and put the board in my Super Famicom cart shell while playing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That guy has some really weird hangups that seem unrelated to Youtube or anything else.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Detective No. 27 posted:

Have you seen the GBA version with the patches to fix the color and music? Just curious what you would think of them having played the SNES version so recently.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So hori is going to release a left joycon with a pad for switch!
:toot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ambitious Spider posted:

It has no HD rumble though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mark Bussler left YouTube because it's an awful venue for his content. Listen to his new interview with Pat Contri. Mark tears into YouTube. He is very uncharacteristically pissed off at what YouTube became.

Probably better than becoming yet another Youtuber who posts a 3:1 ratio of videos bitching about Youtube's monetization model to actual content.

Also lol, it has infected Chrome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zand posted:

I did not even know this was a thing, but I added it to my watchlist on amazon prime video. Thanks!

I loved CGR on YouTube.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It has no HD rumble though.

Not really a huge loss, hardly anything makes decent use of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It also doesn't have any of the motion sensors or bluetooth, meaning you can only use it in handheld mode.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love me the Switch as much as the next guy. But this is a slight difference than a hit in resolution. The GBA version looks sunbleached. And the music is just gross.

I own a boxed copy of FF6 on GBA, and I played through it a decade ago, so I know it's something you can get used to. It's just that the difference between the two versions is much starker than I had realized. More power to you if you wanted to go the route you are, but at least check out a comparison. (I am aware that they had to make games lighter on GBA to accommodate the original backlight-less screen.)

I’ve played significant portions of it on the snes, ps1 and gba versions but even though it is lauded as the best FF, it hasn’t really held my attention long enough to give it a serious play through. So looking to buckle down and give it the serious go, and with my play style these days with my kids, being able to play on the go is a huge deal, which is why I play a lot more on my Switch than my PS4 and buy crossplats for the Switch now even if a hit to graphics (unless they are nearly unplayable like the DQH games).

RichterIX posted:

Have you seen the GBA version with the patches to fix the color and music? Just curious what you would think of them having played the SNES version so recently.

Hmm, maybe I’ll look into that and use my Everdrive instead of the actual cart

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So dilemma. I've been really wanting a copy of Chrono Trigger. My shop has a copy, $90. But the label is pretty badly damaged. Looks like maybe they ripped a rental store sticker off of it. Should I get it or wait for a more expensive better looking copy? I'm thinking that if I get it I could be sacrilegious and put the board in my Super Famicom cart shell while playing it.

I got a good-condition cart from a con for $100, talked down from $115. $90 is a decent price for a working cart in any case. If you care about the appearance maybe just get a custom label done? If you just want an original good-condition cart in that price range you'll probably be waiting a while to luck out or end up spending $130-150 on ebay/amazon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I got a good-condition cart from a con for $100, talked down from $115. $90 is a decent price for a working cart in any case. If you care about the appearance maybe just get a custom label done? If you just want an original good-condition cart in that price range you'll probably be waiting a while to luck out or end up spending $130-150 on ebay/amazon

Eh, I wouldn't want to mess with the label any more. It would be like putting a new cover on a damaged old comic. I'm thinking I might trade in my Genesis games toward it. Just live with it the way it is.

RichterIX posted:

I hadn't. Just checked out some footage on YouTube. That's a huge improvement. Looks nice.

I watched the first episode of CGR 2084. Pretty good stuff. Though he made a Chuck Norris joke. :doh: I guess they make a comeback in the future.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CGR is the home of terrible dadjokes, it’s part of its charm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Or you can just mod yours like I did

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What are my options for getting a real PC Engine or Turbo GFX & flash cart? Last time I looked, doujindance was the right choice but I’m gathering that’s no longer the case.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jordan7hm posted:

What are my options for getting a real PC Engine or Turbo GFX & flash cart? Last time I looked, doujindance was the right choice but I’m gathering that’s no longer the case.

It's a little pricey but this one does a lot of poo poo: https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jordan7hm posted:

There should be plenty of PC Engine consoles on Ebay. You can also use Buyee, which is a proxy bidding site and shipment receiver/reshipper for the Japanese Yahoo! auctions, but be aware that they are heavy on service fees and you would still be paying for overseas shipping.

You would want at least a CoreGrafx model (dark grey with that text in blue or orange), since they natively support composite video. The original PC Engine and US TG16 are RF-only by default, which is more of a pain to hook up and also worse video quality.

You can get better video output options with mods, but you would have to do the work yourself or contract someone who does it as a service. The user Monitor Burn in this forum does excellent video mod work:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837727

For flashcarts, the Turbo Everdrive by Krikzz is still the most popular, but it only supports HuCard game ROMs. For CD games, you would need to get an add-on drive or a PC Engine Duo-R.

Alternatively, the board PaletteSwappedNinja linked supports HuCard ROMs and CD images, and it adds RGB and composite video output. But it is still a new product and pricey, so do a lot of reading about quirks and quality before buying it.

EDIT: Note that it is a flashcart only, and you would still need a PC Engine console.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does the TG16/PC Engine CD work with CD-Rs?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Does the TG16/PC Engine CD work with CD-Rs?

Yes. For normal CD's, only the Sega Saturn and Playstation consoles have copy protection that requires a modchip or other major trickery to bypass. Also I guess if you're obessed about having 1:1 GD-ROM's then Dreamcast games can't be 100% accurately duplicated, but CD-R's for almost all games work fine, for certain images they even work better than the original discs.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I would honestly just ask Monitor Burn. I bought my RGB AV Famicom and 1chip SNES Mini from him and they've been great. You'll get a refurbished system and you don't have to worry about additional modding. I believe in the past he has offered the basic Core grafx (hu-card only) models and Duo-R models with built-in CD capabilities, but ask him if they are still available.

As for the flashcart, buy the official from Krikzz or a reseller, but don't buy any cheap China knockoffs.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
If you're interested in CD games at all, wait a bit for reviews of the NeoSD Super System 3 to come out (I will post one here when mine comes) since the cost of it plus a PC Engine Core system is only marginally higher than a recapped RGB modded Turbo Duo with an Everdrive (I know it is because I sold mine to pay for it)

If it does all it claims to, it really is the one purchase solution for all PC Engine, Turbografx needs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There is very little price difference between this + a CoreGrafx and a modded PCE Duo-R + Everdrive. The Duo-R would give you the option of playing real CD games, if that's your thing.

I got a modded Duo-R from Monitor Burn a few months ago. Just PM him with what you want and he'll work out a quote.

Chances are I'm going to end up with a regular PCE and the Super SD System 3 as well, but I gladly admit that I have a problem. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wait, so I can just burn a copy of Ikaruga or whatever to a CD and it will play on my Dreamcast? My Dreamcast is Japanese, if that matters.

What about the Saturn? Again, I have a Japanese version. Somehow it never occurred to me to burn games for them, maybe because I haven't actually used a CD burner in like 10 years.