Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yesterday I loaded up Hyperstone Heist for my kids because one of them asked for a TMNT video game to play. I happened to pick a version of the rom that has an "enhanced" color pallets compared to the stock release.

This morning we played it again but I tried switching it back to the original pallete and my son immediately complained about the colors and how they were wrong.

What have I done?

E: spelling

I don't care how wrong it is but I vastly prefer the garish/PC10 color pallet for NES games compared to the stock normal NTSC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I don't care how wrong it is but I vastly prefer the garish/PC10 color pallet for NES games compared to the stock normal NTSC one.

Same, but when it looks bad it really looks bad. Like there's that tan color with the original colors that turns an ugly yellow with the PC10 colors.

I got some childhood revenge and beat Battletoads the other night. Took about 15 hours total to get through it for me. It's really satisfying once you get good enough at some of the stages like turbo tunnels and snakes where you beat them without even dying. But then there are 4 or 5 spots that are so difficult even if you know what you are doing you could lose 5 lives out of no where. Definitely earns it's reputation as being difficult, but also it's got killer music and really fun with most stages offering something different than the others.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Yesterday I loaded up Hyperstone Heist for my kids because one of them asked for a TMNT video game to play. I happened to pick a version of the rom that has an "enhanced" color pallets compared to the stock release.

This morning we played it again but I tried switching it back to the original pallete and my son immediately complained about the colors and how they were wrong.

What have I done?
This one?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2330/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah that's the one. It does make the colors more vibrant overall but for some reason the option is called "anime" in the settings and that doesn't sit well with me.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

which one of the turtles do you think is the weeb? I bet it's leonardo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s Raphael obviously

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Yeah that's the one. It does make the colors more vibrant overall but for some reason the option is called "anime" in the settings and that doesn't sit well with me.

Is that what I was called in Turtles in Time on SNES? They had color options based on the comic and cartoon.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

The Voice of Labor posted:

which one of the turtles do you think is the weeb? I bet it's leonardo

It's gotta be this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

TVs Ian posted:

Is that what I was called in Turtles in Time on SNES? They had color options based on the comic and cartoon.

I did some light googling and discovered that there's a lot of tension around HH VS TIT and it honestly seems like a lot of nuance I'm not willing to entertain.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
anime as in animation as in "these colors are more similar to the cartoon*"

although there was indeed tmnt anime and manga

*wouldn't be surprised if they are actually closer to the toys but i haven't done a side by side

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

People that argue about TiT vs HH are dummies because they're both Cool and Good

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was explaining to my older son how and why the Genesis any the SNES had different titles and why sometimes they would have the same game but it would be a little bit different for any number of reasons.

I ended up using MK as an example and said "because you could make your opponent visibly bleed, there was a period where the Genesis was actually the cool console to have. It did not last."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

there was a period where the Genesis was actually the cool console to have. It did not last."

Well yeah, it ended when they released the Sega Saturn.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Saturn was cool! Even the case said so

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is probably of interest to a bunch of shmup people here: Zakesta has been officially released in itch.io for FREE. Grab it and give it a go if it looks like your thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPLt_UHtaeE

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

lol

TMNT is anime

TVs Ian posted:

IIRC the alternate color options actually duplicated the weird coloring of the toys where each turtle was a different shade of green

I did some light googling and discovered that there's a lot of tension around HH VS TIT and it honestly seems like a lot of nuance I'm not willing to entertain.
TIT was better, flat out, there's no argument. Konami did Genesis/MD owners dirty. But it's only slightly worse, it's still a pretty good game, and it has some unique bosses. Also Konami gave Genesis/MD owners a better version of Rocket Knight Adventures to make up for it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Let's not forget the actual TMNT anime...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So there was the time that Sunsoft completely stole an advertisement for Alien Syndrom:

So besides stealing the Xenophobe art, the text in the advertisement is taken from ads for a Spectrum game called Caverns of Doom rather than use lorem ipsum.

Edit bonus: Here's an ad for a Famicom game that was never released:

I find it interesting since that looks exactly like Rogue.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 24, 2021

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The United States posted:

TIT was better, flat out, there's no argument. Konami did Genesis/MD owners dirty.

WTF, all of Konami's MD titles, including Hyperstone Heist, are incredible games. Granted, Turtles In Time is a shockingly good piece of software that probably shouldn't exist on that platform. But to say that they half-assed stuff on MD is a hard sell. There just weren't many of them thanks to Nintendo's stranglehold. I would love to see what they could've done on the SMS/MKIII.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Same! Well, the RGB Sony CXA palette (like the setting on the Mesen core in RA). Not sure if the PC10 one is any different. I had the palette switch installed on my RGB Famicom but both NTSC ones look awful to me so that probably wasn't necessary. I didn't even play it that way as a kid, because the late-70's TV I had in my room had this saturation button or something that really made the colors pop, and I left that on all the time.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 24, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's something so roundly pleasant about the Fantasy Zone II logo

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Random Stranger posted:

So there was the time that Sunsoft completely stole an advertisement for Alien Syndrom:

So besides stealing the Xenophobe art, the text in the advertisement is taken from ads for a Spectrum game called Caverns of Doom rather than use lorem ipsum.

Sunsoft published Alien Syndrome for Famicom and Xenophobe for NES, and the Xenophobe NES box art was unique to that version of the game. I don't think this constitutes theft, I think this is a case of a publisher commissioning a piece of art and getting as much mileage out of it as they could manage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Sunsoft published Alien Syndrome for Famicom and Xenophobe for NES, and the Xenophobe NES box art was unique to that version of the game. I don't think this constitutes theft, I think this is a case of a publisher commissioning a piece of art and getting as much mileage out of it as they could manage.

That's a good point. I forgot that they published the NES Xenophobe.

It doesn't explain stealing all the text from a Spectrum game, though. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/KaySavetz/status/1452293460116086788

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've stepping up my synthesizer <-> retro game process.

I've got two video synthesizers and one audio synthesizer plugged into my computer.

I have my Super NT connected via USB to the PC, and sending the HDMI out to a 1->4 splitter. One output goes to the PC for gameplay, the second goes to a video synthesizer, and the third goes to a tool that converts HDMI audio to line audio, which goes into the audio input of a second video synthesizer.

I've written a python script that reads gameplay state from Link to the Past via a web socket, and then generates midi events that it sends to the audio synthesizer (and soon to be video synthesizer).

In this video, you see where I am so far. Link's X and Y position set what note is played on two of the instruments, and then I've got the two video synthesizers running in the background looking cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ns363C0FI

Here's the nightmare of wires setup and in action

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ofecks posted:

WTF, all of Konami's MD titles, including Hyperstone Heist, are incredible games. Granted, Turtles In Time is a shockingly good piece of software that probably shouldn't exist on that platform. But to say that they half-assed stuff on MD is a hard sell. There just weren't many of them thanks to Nintendo's stranglehold. I would love to see what they could've done on the SMS/MKIII.

Konami was pretty hit or miss on the Genesis. The sunset riders port was pretty phoned in and missed like half the game. It had a kinda neat vs mode, but even that was half-assed in that it has one actual single-screen map. The game is fun and I don't regret playing it or replaying it, but a lot of that is probably just cuz I had it as a kid.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
I’d take Konami’s music output on Genesis over SNES any day of the week, at the very least. Every soundtrack they did for the console is an absolute banger.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uh oh, I think my GameCube’s days are numbered. It couldn’t remember the saved system time and it can’t get past Melee’s title screen, but my Wii can using the same disk. :ohdear:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A replacement clock battery would need to be soldered in. Dunno how comfortable you'd be with that.

As for the disc reader, if you're intent on using original discs still, you can try recalibrating the lens. I hear it's pretty easy.

If you're interested in installing an ODE, the GCLoader is currently in stock. I've installed one myself and it was really painless. No soldering required.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

A replacement clock battery would need to be soldered in. Dunno how comfortable you'd be with that.

As for the disc reader, if you're intent on using original discs still, you can try recalibrating the lens. I hear it's pretty easy.

If you're interested in installing an ODE, the GCLoader is currently in stock. I've installed one myself and it was really painless. No soldering required.

Yeah, I know I could repair it to standard operating procedure but I'd be really sad about potentially losing whatever magic my Cube has brought to my life in the past couple of years.

ChaosArgate posted:

This might be a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know why a GameCube copy of Ocarina of Time might start doing some... weird things with the texture mapping? (forgive the lovely pics, one's a phone pic and the other's a capture card screencap that hasn't been adjusted for aspect ratio)

For reference, I'm playing on a GameCube from like, 2001ish through an Eon GCHD Mk II in 480p. It looks identical when I boot in 480i as well. It also does not exhibit this behavior when I boot it up on a Wii.

ChaosArgate posted:

I tried it and it is still hosed up. The ISO itself runs fine in Dolphin, so I'm convinced the cube is haunted. For funsies, I used a straight composite video connection to see if the GCVideo processing might have had anything to do with this, but all I got was composite Luak.

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok so I tried a few more things with my gamecube, like booting into Majora's Mask via Swiss, since I don't own that disk.

So yeah, I think Ben drowned somewhere in my cube. I didn't go any further though, since the game crashed on me while trying to navigate through Clock Town. Since this was loaded directly from SD card, I think that rules out the disk laser as being the problem, so its something internal with the system. For funsies too, I ripped the file that contains the Ocarina roms from my copy of the OoT bonus disk using the gamecube, booted that file up in dolphin and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

ChaosArgate posted:

The VOD itself is kinda garbage this time but I made a separate recording so I'll chop that up and get it posted somewhere eventually.

ChaosArgate posted:

Some highlights from tonight's hosed up Ocarina stream:

Luak showing off his giant cock to the world.

Luak's giant cock turning blue after chatting with Anju.

Hey so I think this puzzle might be a bit broken.

Anyone wanna play particle-effect tennis?

And now I'm off to do rad kickflips through the Lost Woods with the Forest Skateboard.

Rad, I'll keep an eye out!

ChaosArgate posted:

Hey I found something else my Cube freaks out at!

ChaosArgate posted:

Did more testing to add to the saga of games that my Cube chokes on.

Fire Emblem 9 is very minimal, just battle model heads being stretched slightly.

Of course Shadow the Hedgehog would break. Why wouldn't it. Weirdly, Sonic Heroes looked pristine and I'm fairly certain those two use the same graphics engine.

Here's one I was expecting, but is still not the fun kind of broken, RE1's pre-rendered backgrounds are a garbled mess so trying to actually play this game would probably be a nonstarter.

And then RE4 has some mild facial warping I guess?

And that's all the notable things I saw when testing a random battery of games. Oh, and Mario Golf has the inverse problem I usually have with the Cube, where the graphics look pristine, but all the internal geometry is hosed up, so the course does not look like what it actually is. It makes trying to golf really hard when your ball just suddenly hits an invisible OB wall! I'll keep trying others to see what breaks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ohhh, your GameCube is legendary. I understand now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nooo not the gamecube! How are we going to get the six legendary skate decks and ride to victory over Ganondorf in Ocarina now!?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had a PS2 that did weird crap like that.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Got all the parts in to do up my GBA today so spent a bit of time with it today.

New shell, buttons & membranes along with the V2 IPS screen. Also put in a dehumm kit, amp and new speaker along with a clean juice battery. Still haven't soldered up the brightness controls yet, wanted to test everything was working.

Fixed up my Pokemon Emerald as well, put a new save battery in and cleaned it up and got that all working. Time to spend some time with some of my old favourite games and some stuff I never touched back in the day.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Hey goons, I recently moved and it's time to upgrade the way all my retro stuff works. I recently picked up an Extron Crosspoint video matrix switch and I'm aware that they boost the sync levels of RGBs signals to TTL levels and I'll need to attenuate them before connecting it up to any consumer grade gear or scalers.

While I plan to start upgrading most of my cabling to RGBs over time, I already own the composite/s-video/component retrotink 2x. If I were to pass a non-rgb signal through the crosspoint, would the circuitry in the crosspoint be able to latch onto and modify the embedded sync signals within a composite or luma signal?

Should I just jam the resistor in there anyway before the signal reaches the scaler? In a few days I can probably go grab my scope, and I'll double check it to the best of my abilities anyway, but I'm curious if anyone here has ran into this issue since the internet is pretty quiet about crosspoints when they aren't pushing RGBs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/kccrawlingchaos/status/1452470958816587790?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm replaying Secret of Mana and I love how not only Santa Claus is in this but he turns into a Frost Gigas because children stopped believing in him.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/stopskeletons/status/1452901471553351680?t=7IpeFUbX5tVduYrvoKz1Sg&s=19

Feeling better about holding out on getting the Switch subscription.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is the VC screenshot hosed up or does it really have that AR?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Its just a hosed up screenshot, Wii VC is more or less 4:3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm replaying Secret of Mana and I love how not only Santa Claus is in this but he turns into a Frost Gigas because children stopped believing in him.

i like how there's a section of like, ruined city subway with what are probably functional VCRs and poo poo and it's incredibly easy to forget that even exists in the game at all