Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

There's deffo a car adapter for the Gamecube, I used it with a clamshell screen and Wavebird to play Sonic Adventure 2 on long car rides as a kid.

In the future, they'll have articles about "crazy things people did in the past" and playing Gamecube in an internal combustion car with a clamshell screen and controller is definitely on it. The Gamecube car adapater will be like one of those bikes with one giant wheel and one tiny one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I had the Game Boy Player attached too.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

Hopefully playing Warioware Twisted or Kirby Tilt n Tumble

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Did.. did you have a GBA attached for extra functionality within certain games?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Did.. did you have a GBA attached for extra functionality within certain games?

Did he have multiple gamecubes for playing 1080 Avalanche on LAN?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of which, has anyone in the history of the world ever played 16-player Mario Kart Double Dash? No big deal, all you need is eight GameCubes (LAN mode only supports two players per console, apparently) each running their own copy of the game, and of course a screen for each console.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
And those expensive lan adapters.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone in the history of the world ever played 16-player Mario Kart Double Dash? No big deal, all you need is eight GameCubes (LAN mode only supports two players per console, apparently) each running their own copy of the game, and of course a screen for each console.

We got up to either eight or ten players at a party about a decade ago. I still don't know how we managed to coordinate that.

We also played The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, using four Game Boy Players in place of GBAs. I really wish I had taken some photos, that party was legendary.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

All New Sonic posted:

We got up to either eight or ten players at a party about a decade ago. I still don't know how we managed to coordinate that.

The GameCube does have a handle, after all.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, what does the wii do in all this maddness?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ConanThe3rd posted:

act as the gamecube for the 4 game boy players to hook into

TVs Ian posted:

Looks like the Wii is standing in for the GameCube in the original GC & 4 GBAs setup. Maybe it’s easier to capture from?

easier to get better quality video out of it, especially at the time that image was made

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 1, 2018

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Looks like the Wii is standing in for the GameCube in the original GC & 4 GBAs setup. Maybe it’s easier to capture from?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Also outputs in 480p, I guess.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

All New Sonic posted:

We also played The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, using four Game Boy Players in place of GBAs. I really wish I had taken some photos, that party was legendary.

Playing 4 player FSA is one of the best and rarest things you can do on a GameCube.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Spacebump posted:

Playing 4 player FSA is one of the best and rarest things you can do on a GameCube.

Last week a guy brought in 4 gbas and a Wii with 4SA and we had a great time (except the one guy that was stuck with a non-lit original GBA)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I used to throw lanparties (and still do), there'd be 8 guys carrying xboxes on their shoulders and we'd hook up 4 and play halo on splitscreen. I don't think we ever used multiple gamecubes, we just took turns trying to finish F Zero GX tracks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If this happened today, they could make it more ridiculous by giving each cube an HDMI adapter.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER
SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY
GAME CUBE
WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION.
4 CORNER DAYS PROVES 1
DAY 1 GOD IS TAUGHT EVIL.
IGNORANCE OF GAMECUBE4
SIMPLE MATH IS RETARDATION
AND EVIL EDUCATION DAMNATION.
CUBELESS AMERICANS DESERVE -
AND SHALL BE EXTERMINATED.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
THE GIGAQUAD

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
Do I have to do anything special to output RGB from a Sony PVM for capture? Model is PVM-20M4U. It's outputting RGB via a BNC->SCART /w RCA audio breakout cable. Audio goes over to the sound in on my AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 GC510. Video goes into a male-male scart cable, then the framemeister SCART to 8-pin RGB in to the actual unit. Output goes over HDMI to the GC510. The Framemeister isn't showing a Input light (it does when I just hook the console up to it directly along with an HDTV and works fine), so I think it's an issue with either the PVM or the dumb SCART cable I had to buy because I couldn't find a male-male coupler.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tatsujin posted:

Do I have to do anything special to output RGB from a Sony PVM for capture? Model is PVM-20M4U. It's outputting RGB via a BNC->SCART /w RCA audio breakout cable. Audio goes over to the sound in on my AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 GC510. Video goes into a male-male scart cable, then the framemeister SCART to 8-pin RGB in to the actual unit. Output goes over HDMI to the GC510. The Framemeister isn't showing a Input light (it does when I just hook the console up to it directly along with an HDTV and works fine), so I think it's an issue with either the PVM or the dumb SCART cable I had to buy because I couldn't find a male-male coupler.

The male-to-male SCART cable might not be fully pinned if you didn't get it from a retro cable maker. The cheapies usually don't have all the pins run.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The male-to-male SCART cable might not be fully pinned if you didn't get it from a retro cable maker. The cheapies usually don't have all the pins run.

That's what I get for being impatient. Oh well, thanks. Might as well grab a remote overlay for my framemeister while I'm at it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tatsujin posted:

My advice, based on my own meh experience of routing RGB from my PVM to a scaler device, would be to get a component video switch (preferably powered) that has dual outputs. One output from the switch would go to your PVM and the other could go to your Framemeister.

RGB through the appropriately colored plugs, and then sync through whatever remaining plugs you have left on the switch, obviously.

An Extron matrix switcher could probably do the same thing, too, with the advantage of likely using BNC connectors straight up. Otherwise, you would want to get some male BNC to male RCA adapter plugs (usually pretty cheap).

Monitor Burn hooked me up with a nice "reverse" BNC to SCART cable (basically, a BNC cable with a male SCART end) for the above purposes, so definitely consider talking to him about it at some point if this becomes a regular thing for you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've been watching this Galaga tournament on twitch, they are currently in semi-finals: https://www.twitch.tv/meowwolf?twitch5=0

There's an enemy ship I've never seen before :catstare:

One guy looped the game last night and got the 2nd highest score in the world. He just made it into the finals, could possibly be the #1 and #2 guys playing in the finals.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

EARTH HAS 4 CORNER
SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY
GAME CUBE
WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION.
4 CORNER DAYS PROVES 1
DAY 1 GOD IS TAUGHT EVIL.
IGNORANCE OF GAMECUBE4
SIMPLE MATH IS RETARDATION
AND EVIL EDUCATION DAMNATION.
CUBELESS AMERICANS DESERVE -
AND SHALL BE EXTERMINATED.

same

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Tatsujin posted:

That's what I get for being impatient. Oh well, thanks. Might as well grab a remote overlay for my framemeister while I'm at it.

Back when I had ordered a bunch of scart cables for the PVM I had, I ordered the scart to framemeister (8pin + mini usb) adapter cable and a remote overlay thinking I’d buy a framemeister too. Well I haven’t, so if you have any need for an overlay and the cable. I’ll send them to you for $10 or something. Sorry, no male to male scart though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I completely forgot that I had posted that

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Back when I had ordered a bunch of scart cables for the PVM I had, I ordered the scart to framemeister (8pin + mini usb) adapter cable and a remote overlay thinking I’d buy a framemeister too. Well I haven’t, so if you have any need for an overlay and the cable. I’ll send them to you for $10 or something. Sorry, no male to male scart though.

Ah, my impatience got the better of me again it seems, already ordered them off RGCUK, thanks though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A friend and I were playing through DKC3 yesterday. That game is criminally underrated.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend and I were playing through DKC3 yesterday. That game is criminally underrated.

It’s great, just unfortunate timing. Pretty sure it came out for snes after the n64 was already out, so a lot of people weren’t interested in buying a last-gen game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

worthless. posted:

It’s great, just unfortunate timing. Pretty sure it came out for snes after the n64 was already out, so a lot of people weren’t interested in buying a last-gen game.

this was a big part of it for sure. at the time as a kid i remember my friends thinking the setting of it was kind of lame too, the lakeside thing was way less appealing than the jungle and pirate themes of the other two DKCs

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
April Fool Day is very hit or miss, but My Life in Gaming entry sounds great.

https://twitter.com/MyLifeInGaming/status/980611089296707584

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I always discount it compared to DKC2, but now I want to go and replay it.

It must have been the last AAA title released for the SNES, right? It’s definitely the first actual game launch I remember being aware of.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Cornflakes posted:

It must have been the last AAA title released for the SNES, right? It’s definitely the first actual game launch I remember being aware of.

How messed up is it that DKC2 isn’t Diddy Kong’s Quest, it’s Diddy’s KongQuest?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The first post is amazing and has a ton of info, but the crazy amount of times it's was incorrectly used instead of its made it a little hard to read.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cornflakes posted:

I think so. Wrinkly Kong is playing Super Mario 64.

"Wrinkly Kong's Save Cave" is also hilarious.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Kirby's Dreamland 3 was a later SNES release. It was, like, that, Harvest Moon, and Frogger in 1997.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Cornflakes posted:

Nope, that would be Kirby's Dream Land 3, released in 1998 (!).

Technically, the last SNES game released in NA was Majesco's port of Frogger, but that's not really AAA. Or good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Jesus. That explains why I didn’t know Kirby’s Dreamland 3 existed until like 2014