Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

notthegoatseguy posted:

All the gaming systems I've owned recently use mini SD, but admittedly I play Nintendo systems and I understand they're pretty much generally behind the times compared to Sony and Microsoft. . but my GoPro model from 2018 uses mini SD. But I wouldn't be surprised that a console that is likely manufactured in China is lagging behind in terms of tech.

MicroSD and miniSD are different, just to clarify :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

notthegoatseguy posted:

All the gaming systems I've owned recently use mini SD, but admittedly I play Nintendo systems and I understand they're pretty much generally behind the times compared to Sony and Microsoft. . but my GoPro model from 2018 uses mini SD. But I wouldn't be surprised that a console that is likely manufactured in China is lagging behind in terms of tech.

Nintendo has never sold a game system that uses mini SD without having to use an adapter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
they did use miniUSB on the Wii U Pro Controller.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DoctorWhat posted:

they did use miniUSB on the Wii U Pro Controller.

That was Micro USB.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Deadguy2322 posted:

That was Micro USB.

Wii U Pro controller is very much Mini USB.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How good is a Commodore 1702 monitor for retro gaming? I have an old C64 system that I plan to sell, but realized I have a 1702 and therefore a CRT. Thinking I might keep that at least if it's decent. Thoughts?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

slidebite posted:

How good is a Commodore 1702 monitor for retro gaming? I have an old C64 system that I plan to sell, but realized I have a 1702 and therefore a CRT. Thinking I might keep that at least if it's decent. Thoughts?

Very very good. I picked up an HDMI to S-Video box from Amazon, and connected my retropie to my 1702 using an S-Video to chroma/luma cable, and it looked goooood.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I keep forgetting that I have a 1084S sitting in my closet that doesn't turn on. I got the thing for peanuts probably two decades ago. I should look into getting it fixed, or see if I can figure out what's wrong with it myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Y'all like to dump?

https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/1086320116432801792

https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/1086330167037837312

https://twitter.com/Borman18/status/1086330262915411969

https://github.com/sanni/cartreader

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

It’s a good one. I like mine although it needs some work. Just the right size to put on a bench too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the input - I'll probably keep the 1702 either way then.

Code Jockey posted:

Very very good. I picked up an HDMI to S-Video box from Amazon, and connected my retropie to my 1702 using an S-Video to chroma/luma cable, and it looked goooood.
Out of curiosity, what are you using a 1702 for that has HDMI output?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quiet Feet posted:

New Year New Games: Fake Part 5: Lazy Bullshit edition

Oh dear lord, did someone say NES Cleaning Kit!?

Yeah, whatever. I got this in a cheap lot of boxed NES games. Nothing else was sealed. I was originally going to do this alongside an actual tonight but I'm tired and have laundry to do.

Uh uh, one of these things is not like the others. What is that doing in there?

So, no, these did not originally come with Acclaim wireless controller manuals. And as you can see from the scuffing below, this one has been used. It's a reseal. :shrug:

Oh yeah, the bag with the swabs is open. Bit of a dead giveaway innit?

Cost technically nothing. Got it in a lot. Sold off half the games, made my money back and got a copy of Roadblasters out of the deal.

:effort:

lol i had this back in the day and it killed my nes. loving thing is giving me nightmares just looking at it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Started playing Dragon View last night... it's like Drakkhen but good! I guess it literally is Drakkhen II? I didn't know this game existed and don't remember anyone talking about it, but it's got it's hooks in me. Finished the fire cave last night. When I was a kid, I actually enjoyed Drakkhen, I don't think I could go back to it now, but it's cool to find a game similar with better gameplay.

Also added Arcana to the list to eventually play through, another I'm not really familiar with but first impressions seemed good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

Started playing Dragon View last night... it's like Drakkhen but good! I guess it literally is Drakkhen II? I didn't know this game existed and don't remember anyone talking about it, but it's got it's hooks in me. Finished the fire cave last night. When I was a kid, I actually enjoyed Drakkhen, I don't think I could go back to it now, but it's cool to find a game similar with better gameplay.

Also added Arcana to the list to eventually play through, another I'm not really familiar with but first impressions seemed good.

Yeah it’s called Super Drakkhen in Japan. I haven’t played it but I’ve heard it’s, like you said, “Drakkhen but good”

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dragon View is nothing like Drakkhen, it’s more like a beat’em up with first person exploration. But that’s fine because Drakkhen was too weird and ambitious for a SNES port of a pc game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i always thought of it like it's zelda 2 but where the sidescrolling sections are more like a beat-em-up and where the overworld is mode-7

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

i always thought of it like it's zelda 2 but where the sidescrolling sections are more like a beat-em-up and where the overworld is mode-7

I played through Dragon View a couple of years ago and "like Zelda 2 but different" is really the best way to describe it.

It's a pretty good game, though long walks through the 3D world can get a bit tiresome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the input - I'll probably keep the 1702 either way then.

Out of curiosity, what are you using a 1702 for that has HDMI output?

Raspberry Pi, sorry. Made for a great little emulator setup!

I also used an original xbox via the composite inputs ages ago, worked well, too, but drat the svideo/chroma-luma looks nice.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

LuiCypher posted:

Get an OSSC - Sega consoles (except the Model 3 Genesis, but you shouldn't have that because it's garbo) natively support RGB, so aside from the cost of the OSSC itself and cables there's no technical knowledge/ability needed to get it to output a great picture.

Do check to make sure that your LCD is compatible, though. Most of them are, but some of the cheapo ones aren't.

Genesis model 3 does support RGB natively. Just use a Genesis 2 cable. I guess people got the idea that it did not based on some model 3 bootleg clones not supporting RGB.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mak0rz posted:

I played through Dragon View a couple of years ago and "like Zelda 2 but different" is really the best way to describe it.

It's a pretty good game, though long walks through the 3D world can get a bit tiresome.

Can confirm Dragon View is one of those SNES hidden gems. I was instantly attracted to it when I saw its feature in Nintendo Power, but I never saw it in stores when I had money to buy something, so I acquired a used copy via ebay later. It was dirt cheap and was thoroughly enjoyable. The 3D overworld wasn't too bad, because there are in-game maps!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I've been playing Dragon Quest 5 for the first time and loving it even though the translation on this repro cart is kind of awkward. The english is fine it just doesn't always fit contextually, like they went for a direct translation and there wasn't a serious attempt to figure out what was meant.

The pacing feels weird for a DQ/DW game but that makes sense given what happens after you get to Granbania. I'm thrilled with that turn of events. I figured the whole "Oh, you're not the legendary hero" thing meant that you weren't the hero yet. Did not see the twist with your kids coming. I have an irrational fondness for stories that play with narrative structure, so having your character go from being (seemingly at first) the young hero to the old master who leads the hero was really cool. And they really twist the knife by having you watch someone else's kid growing up while you're cursed. I think that whole turn of events had a bigger effect on me now than it would have if I'd somehow played it around it's original release date, given that I'm a dad now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just curious, why are you playing on a repro cart instead of the DS release?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've been putting off my unsealing party for a bit and doing serious attempts at games I've had sitting around forever and apparently I am not a hardcore gamer because I cannot get into Bangai-o Spirits on DS.

I know this is blasphemy of the highest order but I keep smacking into the steep difficulty curve and am not particularly motivated to " git gud" and practice. I think it's due to my dislike of bullet hell games and the inherent puzzle aspect of gameplay. Which sucks because I wanted to like this game, and it is a good game, but it's going on the sell stack instead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I've been putting off my unsealing party for a bit and doing serious attempts at games I've had sitting around forever and apparently I am not a hardcore gamer because I cannot get into Bangai-o Spirits on DS.

I know this is blasphemy of the highest order but I keep smacking into the steep difficulty curve and am not particularly motivated to " git gud" and practice. I think it's due to my dislike of bullet hell games and the inherent puzzle aspect of gameplay. Which sucks because I wanted to like this game, and it is a good game, but it's going on the sell stack instead.

Bangai-o Spirits would have been a good add-on mode for the end of the regular Bangai-o games. It is terrible as a stand alone game since there's no learning curve and the levels are all basically gimmicks for Bangai-o experts.

Try the N64 or Dreamcast games. You might like them a lot more.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Heath posted:

Just curious, why are you playing on a repro cart instead of the DS release?

I've not played any of the DS Dragon Quest games but I've seen screenshots they've got a more early 3d aesthetic that I'm kinda meh on. I've also heard there were a lot of changes made and wanted something closer to the original.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're 3D but only in the map environment, the battles have nice detailed sprites and the QoL improvements make it the definitive version in my opinion. Maybe check it out once you've finished the original

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

Bangai-o Spirits would have been a good add-on mode for the end of the regular Bangai-o games. It is terrible as a stand alone game since there's no learning curve and the levels are all basically gimmicks for Bangai-o experts.

Try the N64 or Dreamcast games. You might like them a lot more.

I definitely got the feeling it was meant for those that mastered the earlier games. I looked up reviews of the time and most are overwhelmingly positive even while mentioning the steep difficultly curve. There was only one negative one I could find that called out how bullshit hard it is. At any rate this game is definitely not for newcomers to the series. How's the state of Dreamcast emulation these days?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

New Year, New Games: Last Part: Low... energy low...energy low...energy

Do you hate machines? Then you'll be happy that it's time for Machine Hunter!

I could've sworn this was an earlier release but apparently it came out in August of 1997. I know I had a demo of it that I played the crap out of, but never bought it and can't recall ever renting it. So why was that?

Anyway, RIP

They were really proud of this half shot of this guy's head for some reason.

Gameplay vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHpahWv-MRU

So the game is an overhead run-and-gun a-la something like Soldiers of Fortune on the SNES/Genesis or Loaded on the PS1/Saturn. The jist of it is that you're a nameless guy who can shoot robots into submission and take over their bodies. The story is extremely stock. There are bad guys and bad robots who have taken hostages. You are a good guy, so you better go and shoot them and take their robots.

Taking over mechs is a nifty idea and kind of fun for a while. Your character and some enemies are 2D sprites, but some enemies are polygons and the backgrounds are all 3D. They went kinda overboard with the lighting effects and coloring, so the maps look a little weird. The music is very generic 90s industrial techno. It fits, but it doesn't really stand out and this is a game that could've used some personality. It also commits the sin of having an annoying "low energy" alarm which, come on, the life meter isn't that hidden, I know already.

It plays alright but it does have its problems. Shooting is accomplished by pressing any of the buttons on the right side of the game pad, depending on how you're facing. So if your character is looking towards the top of the screen, triangle shoots forward, square shoots left, circle, right, and so forth. This is fine and it works well with one issue. Your character and the first few mechs you encounter all have two weapons spaced far apart, so trying to hit an enemy with both at the same time is just about impossible. This is a pain because while the generic human enemies only take a few shots, robots take a TON of hits to deactivate and there isn't really a lot of strategy here. You can try to move around and avoid hits but its tricky because the screen is tightly centered on you and enemies can move off screen where they can still fire but you can't see exactly where they are to aim. It's still a relatively easy game. If you're in a robot and it's energy is low, you can move into another deactivated one and that will refill your health. There are weapon power ups but these don't last long and they don't seem to help tremendously. Objectives in the levels are usually to rescue hostages and maybe to collect some items. Very basic stuff. The level design isn't incompetent, and there are secret areas to find but it all looks very same-y and there's nothing that really stands out.

What little I played of this I liked a lot back when the PS1 was still fresh. Now? Eh, it's okay.

Cost: About $24

Knowing what I know now, back in the day, I would have
Bought this
Rented it repeatedly
Rented it once

It's not bad but it's not compelling either. If you're really starving for another overhead run-n-gun, it might scratch that itch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DQ4 DS fight with Psaro is some of the most amazing sprite work. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was hand animated then drawn over because it’s too smooth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's kind of weird how DQ/DW was the first jrpg on the NES and it just kind of gave way to Final Fantasy supremacy. Even Breath of Fire / Lufia was more hyped.

Random thought: it's obvious Nintendo wanted to keep the name in the public eye, but was the Super prefix to the SNES due to Sega's MEGA Drive?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of weird how DQ/DW was the first jrpg on the NES and it just kind of gave way to Final Fantasy supremacy. Even Breath of Fire / Lufia was more hyped.

Random thought: it's obvious Nintendo wanted to keep the name in the public eye, but was the Super prefix to the SNES due to Sega's MEGA Drive?

Only in the West, Dragon Quest has always been the supreme RPG franchise in Japan both in sales and popularity. A few Final Fantasies came close or had parity like VII and XIII but DQ is still a huge franchise over there.

The Super Nintendo's name likely came from Super Mario Bros than any competition with Sega.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

al-azad posted:

DQ4 DS fight with Psaro is some of the most amazing sprite work. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was hand animated then drawn over because it’s too smooth.

I've only ever played the NES version but that fight remains one of my favorite boss fights ever. Like you go in and he looks like Esturk, but this time you're kicking rear end :smug:... until suddenly you're not and uh oh what the gently caress is happening :stonklol:

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
Do any of you guys know about modding one of those cheap chinese scalers? The GBS 8200 has a github project to replace the control chip with a esp8266.

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/wiki/GBS-8200-Variants

I wired one up, but I am having troubles getting it to work. Tried asking for help from the shump thread

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172

But after registering they are making me wait for a mod to review my post before it goes up.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

GamerMage posted:

Do any of you guys know about modding one of those cheap chinese scalers? The GBS 8200 has a github project to replace the control chip with a esp8266.

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/wiki/GBS-8200-Variants

I wired one up, but I am having troubles getting it to work. Tried asking for help from the shump thread

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172

But after registering they are making me wait for a mod to review my post before it goes up.
I have one in my Arcade cabinet to make 240p work on the VGA monitor i have in it. A little bit of info on that is sprinkled in here: https://falz.net/wiki/Neo_Geo_Arcade_Cabinet

What issue are you having? typically if it's not wired up properly you'll just get a black screen. It looks like there are newer versions of this board now per your link. It interesting that they keep making these, but it since this chip seems to still be available it would be really slick if someone went all in and made an OSS-like competitor where it uses this chip but without all of the lovely scaling defaults the GBS8200 has, I'd think it could be had for $50 or so and be a great analog to analog scaler.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
Black screen, the serial monitor shows the chip connecting to the i2c and looking for a input signal, but not finding anything. Using a wii on component at 480i as the video source. I do get a picture if I remove the jumper and the board starts using the original firmware.

*Edit added a pic

GamerMage fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 20, 2019

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I beat the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star 1 on Switch and loved it. It's got me wanting to play Phantasy Star 2--is there a definitive version of that? I've got the "original" release a million different ways (actual cart, in all the Genesis collections, etc) but if there is a release with similar Quality of Life improvements PS1 got, I'd rather play that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Agrias120 posted:

I beat the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star 1 on Switch and loved it. It's got me wanting to play Phantasy Star 2--is there a definitive version of that? I've got the "original" release a million different ways (actual cart, in all the Genesis collections, etc) but if there is a release with similar Quality of Life improvements PS1 got, I'd rather play that.

The collection on PS2 (not the remake) is the best way to play 2-4. You can pick and choose your QOL options and it has the English ROM as an option.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The collection is on Switch too.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Here is a question I don’t think I have the answer to: what was the first game where you could interact with a credits sequence? First one I can remember was Altered Beast for the Sega Genesis, where you could punch or kick the text to advance it faster. Was there anything earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Heath posted:

The collection is on Switch too.

Not the one you're thinking of. The one kirbysuperstar is talking about is this:

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Ages_2500_Series_Vol._32:_Phantasy_Star_Complete_Collection