Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

But I mean, if you want to play Metal Slug, there's easier and less expensive ways to do it than importing it for the Saturn.

IMO the absolute best Metal Slug (1) is the NGCD version. Strangely for the system, loading is not a problem at all and due to the nature of the NGCD the game is arcade perfect, but with added bonuses like an awesome art gallery, and "combat school" which has (iirc) time attack/speedrun mode and survival mode. 15Khz RGB, the way it's meant to be played. It's an expensive game to own legit but you can play burned NGCD games without a mod chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The arcade D&D Saturn port combo also needs the 4MB cart.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For those asking, I have a Gamer's Cartridge and I dig it. Its biggest features are Pseudo Saturn Kai and saving to an SD card. I'm great at losing my saves, so it's a good feature for me. The creator, cafe-alpha, is also working on adding cheat functionality, but it's not finished (per his blog). He's also a super nice guy who values good feedback.

In my experience, the compatibility is very high. The only game I've run into serious problems with is HOTD, which won't start unless you ditch the SD save functionality. Not a big loss for that game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Has anyone been following the Star Control bullshit concerning the original creators vs. Stardock? It's gotten to the point where Stardock is basically saying the creators (Fred Ford and Paul Reiche) are overstating their involvement and that they didn't actually create anything, what the gently caress: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/star-control-countersuit-aims-to-invalidate-stardocks-trademarks/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't been following it but gently caress Brad Wardell, I don't care if he's in the right I just want that guy to sell Stardock to someone else and go away. I'm glad the Toys for Bob guys are probably swimming in money after Skylanders to afford the legal battle.

e: Their claim is full of poo poo anyway, not just because it's the most pedantic nonsense, but Reiche and Ford are like 2 out of 5 people who worked on Star Control and in Star Control 2 they're credited for nearly every position. Those guys built the engine, designed the game, wrote it, did the art and the sound effects. The music is the only thing they didn't work on.

Also holy crap, Erol Otus worked on StarCon 2! One of my favorite weird 70s D&D artists and now I totally see the art influence.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 24, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

I have a spare modded white saturn I should probably sell...

Check your PMs.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Went to my local game shop yesterday, broke down and bought a new Retron 5 after frying my last one with the wrong power brick.

While I was there, I picked up Sim City, NHL 94 and Super Tennis for CAD$30. I want to find a copy of Ken Griffey baseball eventually, but are there other good cheaper sports titles I should look out for along the way on SNES?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kikkoman posted:

Went to my local game shop yesterday, broke down and bought a new Retron 5 after frying my last one with the wrong power brick.

While I was there, I picked up Sim City, NHL 94 and Super Tennis for CAD$30. I want to find a copy of Ken Griffey baseball eventually, but are there other good cheaper sports titles I should look out for along the way on SNES?

return the retron 5 and get a super NT if you need an easy HDMI SNES. there's absolutely no reason for the retron anymore

e: lol I googled "super nt" to check something and found this hilarious engadget review

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/23/analogue-super-nt-snes-console-review/

quote:

To be clear, the Super NT is not the "perfect" SNES experience for purists. The absolute gold standard is to locate an original Super Nintendo 1CHIP console (a rarer revision of the hardware that outputs video over RGB)

lol that the 1chip is the "gold standard" when it's actually incorrect in some ways compared to the original SNES, and lol at the implication that it's the only SNES that outputs RGB when in fact it's the original dirt common SNES that natively outputs RGB with no mods. the benefit of a 1CHIP is that when modded to output RGB it has a nicer picture

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 24, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Killed my PS2 with a botched modbo install. My soldering to the board was fine. I accidentally put too much solder on the 3.3v input solder pad on the modbo and it ended up bridging 2 pins on a little IC on it. One of those was a ground pin. So disappointing. It sucks when I get all the hard stuff right and then botch something so simple. After removing the chip and all the wires the power supply will turn on and the buttons light up. I can turn it on, but I get no video or audio, and the eject button doesn't open the drive. I'll just need to get myself another fat ps2 and try again.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 24, 2018

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Star Man posted:

This is a total longshot, but does anyone have a Super Famicom Parodius da manual that they can scan the two pages of the game's bosses?

Try this:
Archive.org

vkeios
May 7, 2007

d0s posted:

lol that the 1chip is the "gold standard" when it's actually incorrect in some ways compared to the original SNES

This is my favorite snes fact because it justified me keeping and using my childhood snes. Even if the rgb out isn’t as pretty (whatever, still looks great to me).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

vkeios posted:

(whatever, still looks great to me).

yeah for real, I am a pretty big video quality sperg and the RGB output of my launch day SNES looks just fine on a PVM. Maybe the difference becomes noticeable when you're using a framemiester on an LCD or something but for a CRT I've never really felt the need to improve SNES video quality beyond what I have

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

d0s posted:

return the retron 5 and get a super NT if you need an easy HDMI SNES. there's absolutely no reason for the retron anymore

I was in the process of writing a big defense of the Retron but then I went on the Analogue website and saw they had some of the black Super NT units back up for pre-order. Mine should be shipping on March 1st! I'm still gonna keep both though for the time being , if only so I have something to play my NES, FC & Genesis carts on . Also the patching from SD card feature on the Retron means I can actually do something with my Mother 2 and FF6 carts instead of just looking at them.

I'm thinking by the time my next bonus comes in I can look into getting a RetroUSB AVS for NES & FC and whatever Analogue comes up with next for Sega consoles. For the time being though :retrogames: retro gamer spirit :retrogames: will just need to be content with what it has.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

yeah for real, I am a pretty big video quality sperg and the RGB output of my launch day SNES looks just fine on a PVM. Maybe the difference becomes noticeable when you're using a framemiester on an LCD or something but for a CRT I've never really felt the need to improve SNES video quality beyond what I have

Yeah on my plasma the difference is night and day

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

I have to disagree here - when I upgraded from my PAL SNES to a US snes model 2 1chip, the difference was like night and day (on my PVM). The old slightly fuzzy picture turned into a lot sharper and vibrant/crisp image. It's a difference you totally can tell.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

d0s posted:

I'm using a framemeister on a LCD actually. Hell this household of mine has two framemeisters and two different SNESs, and they both look pretty good.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm hacking up a snes mini as a gift for my brother and basically trying to include anything we ever played or rented as a kid.

I know there was a SNES baseball game he'd rent all the time, but the only thing I remember is it had a home run derby mode. Anybody have any ideas? Best I can do to narrow the time frame is that it was likely earlier rather than later into the lifespan of the system. Almost 100% it was before the PlayStation came out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Dos posted:

I'm hacking up a snes mini as a gift for my brother and basically trying to include anything we ever played or rented as a kid.

I know there was a SNES baseball game he'd rent all the time, but the only thing I remember is it had a home run derby mode. Anybody have any ideas? Best I can do to narrow the time frame is that it was likely earlier rather than later into the lifespan of the system. Almost 100% it was before the PlayStation came out

I think the Ken Griffey Jr. baseball games had a home run derby mode? I remember renting Ken Griffey Jr.’s Winning Run and I’m pretty sure it had one.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
was it Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

I have to disagree here - when I upgraded from my PAL SNES to a US snes model 2 1chip, the difference was like night and day (on my PVM). The old slightly fuzzy picture turned into a lot sharper and vibrant/crisp image. It's a difference you totally can tell.

I don't know for sure, but you might be seeing a difference going from PAL to NTSC. I know PAL has better resolution and everything, but in terms of RGB SNES, the picture quality jump could be more drastic than NTSC to NTSC.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2018

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Has anyone been following the Star Control bullshit concerning the original creators vs. Stardock? It's gotten to the point where Stardock is basically saying the creators (Fred Ford and Paul Reiche) are overstating their involvement and that they didn't actually create anything, what the gently caress: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/star-control-countersuit-aims-to-invalidate-stardocks-trademarks/

Well gently caress, Star control 2 was probably my favorite game of all time and I was super stoked this past october when the creators announced they were going to finally give it a true sequel. Now it is a clusterfuck

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

I don't know for sure, but you might be seeing a difference going from PAL to NTSC. I know PAL has better resolution and everything, but in terms of RGB SNES, the picture quality jump could be more drastic than NTSC to NTSC.

I've seen both kinda consoles in action and I would still be inclined to say it's a difference mainly between 2chip and 1chip, but YMMV of course.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

That helps me quite a bit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Applesnots posted:

Well gently caress, Star control 2 was probably my favorite game of all time and I was super stoked this past october when the creators announced they were going to finally give it a true sequel. Now it is a clusterfuck

Sorry but that game has to die because they're unfairly piggybacking off the "fame, reputation and goodwill" that is the sole and rightful property of beloved visionary Brad Wardell

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

This is why we cant have nice things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of nice things,

quote:

[The next batch orders will be opened on February 26, 10:00AM EST]

gscartsw lites are going up tomorrow.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phone posted:

Speaking of nice things,

gscartsw lites are going up tomorrow.

I ordered mine in the last batch, got it within a week and it does exactly what it's supposed to. Highly recommended.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/968106736216354816

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Good: My SD2SNES came in :getin:

The Bad: My SNES is still at my friend's house.

The Ugly: There's a (very broken) Sony KV-27FS12 sitting outside of my apartment building. :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Why did a released game take so long to archive?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Rarity I'm guessing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'm more surprised that a Nintendo-branded game released for five separate PC systems was that hard to track down

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The Sharp X1 and PC 6001 series computers weren't particularly common, and floppy disk X1 games are even less common.

It's a little surprising the PC-8001 series version wasn't dumped before, but this happens with a lot of computer programs from the early 8-bit era, especially if they are minor reworks of games released for other systems.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The history of the personal computer in Japan is pretty weird, and I think a big part of it is that the Japanese language is like the perfect storm of stuff that's hard for a computer to work with. Writing in Japanese on a computer with kanji requires a pretty absurd font table for the time, and the equivalent of spelling and grammar checking on the fly (which wasn't a thing on English PC's until the early 90's with WordPerfect 6.0). This meant people didn't get them for home use much (definitely considerably less than in the US), which translated to society not really moving away from regular handwritten and stamped stuff. And the main gaming pull for them there was for hentai games that weren't allowed on consoles, and as such owning a PC actually carried a weird stigma for a while there (you definitely have to exercise caution still if you're telling Japanese people you're a PC gamer). And finally, programming in general leverages English quite a bit in terms of commands and the like, and an awful lot of programs and their documentation (at least officially) would be English-only, or at least not available in Japanese, especially in those days (Microsoft still had some English-only stuff in 2007-2008, for the record). So you didn't have very many people with the right combination of things coming together to make them have the skills, resources and will to go out of their way to archive stuff. The US had far greater chances of that combination and even then we have a small number overall.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've heard that the Japanese community around undumped and prototype games is also at least as bad or worse as the Western prototype collectors that refuse to get their games dumped or archived correctly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Elliotw2 posted:

I've heard that the Japanese community around undumped and prototype games is also at least as bad or worse as the Western prototype collectors that refuse to get their games dumped or archived correctly.

I think they talked about this in the collector's bubble Retronauts episode

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Today I learned that a homebrewed 3DS plays GBA games natively (an artifact of DS/DSi compatibility) and I no longer need to buy a GBA and flash cart.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know the DSi has kinda been hacked. Is there any way to natively play GBA games on it yet? Native GBA on my DSi XL would be heaven.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Today I learned that a homebrewed 3DS plays GBA games natively (an artifact of DS/DSi compatibility) and I no longer need to buy a GBA and flash cart.

That’s pretty cool. Can you run Homebrew on a New 3DS? I have a spare system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

GutBomb posted:

Is there a decent guide on how to accomplish this? Since the Wii homebrew scene sunset a while back, I found that there's documentation that is kinda all over the place and not super straightforward.