Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Options including boiling the pin connector, using a credit card wrapped in cloth soaked in alcohol and barkeeper's friend are all more appealing to me than straight up 600grit sandpaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

McCracAttack posted:

Oh yeah, there's also the official Turbo Grafx Turbo Stick. But I don't think anyone likes it.

I like it :colbert:

But I wouldn't recommend it as your only stick for the system seeing as it's only 2 buttons.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I hate knuckleduster sticks and I don't get how people can use them :toot: I actually really like bat tops for directional inputs in stuff like Tekken.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

when I say the LS-56 is short, I mean compared to a JLF or LS-32 or something, it's not something like those frogger sticks:

Re Tekken, those Korean candy cabs/sticks I mentioned actually normally have bat tops:

Though you can get the same style in a balltop too, I think most people like the bats. I find all of this abhorrent

Me and Koreans like bat tops for Tekken because it gives you directional inputs that feel very clean. SF-like controller motions aren't as easy on them. I tend to prefer ball top for 2D fighting games and bat top for 3D - I find ones that aren't clicky-ish bat tops to be too... I dunno, floppy? Fluid? The snapback on the bat top feels better too.

But oh ok I'm glad it isn't like the Frogger/Joust kind of bullshitty sticks because god they're awful and I hate them :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Miles McCloud posted:

That's because I'm pretty sure the anime artist thought Chaz was a girl. Definitely one of those rare cases where the US box art is superior.

were you dropped on your head as a child or :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

:toot: cool kids club

Derek and Grace from Stop Skeletons From Fighting are very lovely people and wanted to include me from the get go so I've been really excited for this to come out, thank you! :kimchi:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Suikoden was never a longbox game.

Accurate statement, it was always a jewel case.

Coincidentally the only long box PSX game I actually own is Jupiter Strike. I have a bunch of long box 3DO stuff though :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Parachute posted:

that cab is real sweet dude.

semi-related: has anyone seen a modded Time Travelers cab playing a different game?

No. But Holosseum exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holosseum

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Parachute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Nlf9Ndj58

this rules, it's like they're fighting during a loading screen or something

I make people I know from the FGC play it because it's pretty much one of the actual worst fighting games I've ever played, ahaha :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

the best A1 games release is Top Shop, get it right

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

The PS1 Lunars are pretty good, albeit sorta cliche and full of goofball Working Designs humor whenever you chat with the townspeople. Some prefer the Sega CD originals because they're more challenging and have different content, though I like way the PS1 games let you see enemies before battles.

Legaia and Legend of Dragoon weren't even worth playing back in 2000.

Valkyrie Profile is still great, if very rigid in structure. Xenogears is fascinating for its ideas but it's super slow. Star Ocean Second Story has neat battles with a banal story, like every other Star Ocean. Grandia has the same problem, only worse. Thousand Arms has a novel wacky PG-level dating sim but the battles are terrible. Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia (released in the US as Tales of Destiny 2) are OK yet combat gets repetitive and there are at least half a dozen better Tales games, including a PS2 remake of Destiny. Guardian's Crusade is cute but not much else. Wild Arms has some interesting Lufia 2-like puzzles, but everything beyond that is dull. The original Persona is boring and censored and there's a better version on the PSP. Persona 2 is pretty good and the other half of the game is on PSP.

And I've never encountered anyone who liked Beyond the Beyond.

I ended up buying Beyond the Beyond so I could occasionally pick it up and tell people how much I hated it (also because I was working on my bitchin PSX RPG collection). But I still hate that game.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If you're actually hoping to get (gaming) scores from thrifting you have to actually do it on the regular, otherwise you will never find anything.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

yeah like I had to specifically purchase a monitor replacement for my old monitor that was as low lag as possible but lol @ comparing that to the response time on my TV

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crackbone posted:

A Super NT + a decent TV on game mode would make input lag 1, maybe 2 frames at most. And seriously :laffo: at people who claim they can tell at that level. If you're not a Cave maniac or a pro fighting game player, you're fine.

It's a lot easier to find input lag info nowadays, especially if you just google model # + input lag. Literal first result when I googled "TCL series 5 input lag"

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

i'm literally a world record high score player so

you know

yeah

ew I didn't wanna start a new page with this poo poo, sorry

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Good for you? Doesn't change what I said, which is still correct.

you LOL'd at what I said but your counterargument literally applies to me so yeah

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

I will never understand anyone spending $10 because they're angry at someone. I could buy two NES games or a 6-pack with that.

Started playing Arc the lad last week and am about 6 hours in. It's... okayish. Like there's nothing majorly bad about it but the flip side of the coin is that there's nothing that really draws you in. The music is okay and the characters are mostly pretty generic. I can't speak to the graphics because, IIRC wasn't this originally a 16-bit release? I'm playing the PS1 collection on a PS2, fwiw, and I think that combo is screwing with my expectations for what this "should" look like.

Two NES games? Maybe really crappy ones :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

"people ironically being into lovely games" is hardly exclusive to Japan what are you crazy people even talking about

see also : AVGN as a whole, Awful Games Done Quick block

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Willo567 posted:

I sometimes get the impression that some Japanese players are into lovely games unironically

Like I'm not talking about kusoge tier stuff like Takeshi's Challenge or Atlantis no Nazo but licensed games such as Dragon Ball and Kinnikuman for the Famicom

I'm one of the people in this thread who unironically likes FMV games and collects them and has a CIB copy of Takeshi no Chousenjo on a pedestal on my shelf, CD-i, 3DO - I have Shitlord Tier taste but I'll always warn people when it's bad.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Woolsey or bust train.

Chrono Trigger DS IS really nice though.

e: but the new dungeon blows

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Most of the speedrunner-types I knew who would run PSX games prefer the PSTV, since that's a Vita in a tiny shell that natively runs PSX games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm a little afraid I'm going to get dragged into this :toot:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I'm gonna take it a little personally if you don't bring a Game Boy and a link cable to MGC. Only one more cart left to be acquired and I'll have my set of 16…

I don't have a link cable! I never had a reason to have one! I have no friends! :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Why to I keep clicking on ignored users posts? There's no reason.

idk dude maybe stop being all bitchy at d0s

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

start with your laundry idk :shrug:

(jokes aside that is kinda neat)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I don't think that's indicative of a feud between the camps. Instead, it just sounds like nitpicking for the sake.

There's a difference between "nitpicking for the sake of it" and people not understanding the difference in rules between different types of competition. In an arcade high score ruleset everything will be done with 1CC rules, an any% speedrun is completely different and a person involved in one may very well be unaware of the difference.

e: and that's certainly not animosity either...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Because it's ableist and makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat mostly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Please keep Sonic away from my JSR while also giving me a new JSR. Thanks in advance, Sega!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

gently caress you Sega

More like gently caress Atgames???

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress sega, because atgames being an insanely sketch company has been known for years and yet sega refuses to pull the license

e: like yeah, sega isn't doing this themselves, but they have a responsibility to keep their licensees in line. and they're utterly ignoring that responsibility because tricking grandmas into buying lovely $20 megaclones is more important than decent PR apparently.

ok well if you'll excuse me I have Yakuza and more Yakuza to play :shrug:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

So my Retro Freak that I hadn't turned on in 6-12 months was getting turned on to show Joe from Game Sack and... it just hangs on the logo splash screen. Only methods of flashing firmware involve getting into the UI and writing an update request file to even load the firmware file. You can't even download the new firmware files without writing the update request file. I tried putting the last update file I still happened to have saved on my hard drive onto the SD card, still nothing. Cybergadget's response is :

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/989937987520749570

Messaged Play-Asia about it, who I'm not thrilled I have to deal with again, to see what they say, if anything. I'm open to ideas but otherwise uh, I retract all recommendations on buying that. The splash screen freeze doesn't seem to be an isolated issue either, from the digging I did online.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

Is he planning to do an episode about it? (Also what happened to Jen?)

No, he was in town filiming something else with the people from My Life In Gaming and we just hung out for a while one day while he had free time. Tried to play games and the console just shat itself. Apparently he and Jen broke up like a year ago and she moved back in with her parents in Northern California to marry some dude they pick. :shrug: That was the story I got, anyway.

And I figured it was worth warning the thread about the warranty situation because I've never had a console that was stored in an entertainment center and just left to sit normally fail all by itself to the point where it won't boot. I don't know why some of y'all wanted to be snide assholes about that, but whatever I guess...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I would just as soon remove the entire shell and spray a gloss coat sealant on it, it'd probably look nicer...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Well I know I got a Virtual Boy and repaired it just so I could buy a copy of Nester's Funky Bowling. :colbert:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The Kins posted:

Maybe. Kind of thrown off by the clear Super Famicom on the top of the heap. I don't have my old PAL SNES on hand to turn upside down for comparison, though...

I don't see anything clear in that image. Is it so clear it's invisible? :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like linking every tweet in the thread was pretty unnecessary.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Was it some manner of Games with Gold thing maybe? Where you have to have your membership up and paid for?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Null of Undefined posted:

Moving in with my girlfriend in a month. She cleared out a big space in the livingroom for all my retro trash. She’s wonderful.

have boyfriend who accepts that my living room is a museum of video games

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

What system do you think had the coolest cartridges?

Famicom, I did a whole Retronauts Micro with Jeremy about it. Salamander wins by itself. I don't know why it's threading my other tweet, whatever.

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/708049033101709313

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

well friends, for now I'm working at an electronics recycler that does corporate clients so I eagerly await my finding my mythical Panasonic M2 and LaserActive. :toot:

For now I'm just smashing monitors though. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I mean, there's nice things and junky things, most really aren't that "weird" per se. Probably the weirdest so far was a gigantic HP monitor that probably weighed like 40lbs while still being a flat panel but like 2-3" thick and looking crappy on any input that wasn't display port. It had one of the toggle switches for power like on a standard PSU. Saw a big TV that came with 4 detachable handles and it had a little tray at the bottom to hold the light pen for it because it was like a 50" "draw on me!" type screen. Clearly we have mostly corporate clients.