Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

d0s posted:

instead of consolizing I would really recommend you get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152257119363

or these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152235391790

depending on budget, and the Neo-Geo mainboard of your choice. Yes, it's a little messier and takes some more time to initially set up (I'll be happy to explain everything) but you open up a whole world of arcade stuff beyond the Neo-Geo system. These little supergun boards, particularly the first one I linked, make what used to be kinda complicated and expensive very simple and cheap.

e: also since everything is screw terminals and stuff you can easily build an enclosure for the supergun if you want it in a box

I'd love to be walked through this. And superguns in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thank you. Nice to see the setup spelled out like that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Have they sold out before on Black Friday?

I ordered my GB Everdrive and SD2SNES on the last day of the sale last year, and still had everything by Christmas. I don't recall seeing anything sold out, just backordered. My GB Everdrive may have been backordered, but it still shipped within a week.

If StoneAgeGamer's prices are close, I'll buy from them this year just to avoid the shipping nightmare. I have a PCE Duo coming from MonitorBurn, so I'll be picking up a Turbo Everdrive this year.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, that thing is slick. Time to start saving my pennies for a consolized MVS...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh ya, native RGB is preferred. It's just something I need to start looking into. NeoGeo is the last of the major 8- and 16-bit systems that I need to pick up, but I was waiting to see how the new flashcarts came out before I committed to it.

I think it's time to commit.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

falz posted:

Look at this guy's imgur for the most basic bare bones version as far as the electronics go:

https://imgur.com/a/aJeU3

so MV-1C ($80) + neobiosmasta ($13) + universe bios ($32) + misc ports/wires = $200ish, minus joystick?

Case options are maybe the hardest thing IMO, this guy's seems to turned out well in a Hammond 1455T2201 project case though. Also the ones inside Genesis model 2's are hilarious.

Sweet info, thanks.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Krikzz shipped my SD2SNES. No idea how long shipping will take.

Mine took almost 3 weeks last year. It spent a lot of time sitting in the Ukraine before it shipped to the US.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh sure... release that a month after I order a PCE Duo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Who am I kidding, though. I'll probably still get one.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The shape of the expansion port on the TG16 may not allow for an easy fit, is my guess.

EDIT: Or they just didn't try it out, if it was developed in Japan and didn't have access to a US TG16.

Looks like the board itself is compatible with the TG16, but the plastic casing is not; the TG16 requires a slightly wider case. Videos show that the bare card does work.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

What up fam a package arrived from Japan :cool:

Do I dare ask how much? I literally got my modded PCE from Monitor Burn today.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

$35 from Japan

Not bad. I'll have to order one soon.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There is very little price difference between this + a CoreGrafx and a modded PCE Duo-R + Everdrive. The Duo-R would give you the option of playing real CD games, if that's your thing.

I got a modded Duo-R from Monitor Burn a few months ago. Just PM him with what you want and he'll work out a quote.

Chances are I'm going to end up with a regular PCE and the Super SD System 3 as well, but I gladly admit that I have a problem. :retrogames:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Soooo jealous of this. I think this might be my next big "I am bad with money" retro purchase.

Okay, ya. I'll be picking one of these up, simply because it's that much more portable than my Duo-R.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I loved the arrow game in LTTP. You know, doing stupid things like only shooting from the bottom right corner. My personal favorite was planting all 5 arrows into the same target as it went across.

I tried it again as an adult, and I just don’t have the patience to get that good at it again.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I need to pick up a Mega EverDrive. Outside of save state support, is the X7 worth it over the X5?

I'll probably end up getting the X7 anyway... :retrogames:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

Addressing the nostalgia factor. I think a bunch of it is from people who played it multiplayer, which was pretty novel for the type of game it is.

SoM with a multitap was, and still is, a lot of fun.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rirse posted:

The X7 had recently the ability to play the FM chip audio in Master System games which is really nice bonus.

That's pretty neat. X7 it is, then.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The brown one is good.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tryke posted:

I am a whore for Analogue's FPGA consoles, but at this rate I should've just bought a friggin' Framemeister and been done with it.

I have a Framemeister and a modded Genesis, and I'm still considering buying this.

If it gets hacked to play Sega CD games off of an SD card, I'm sold.

Also, TG-16 when?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone remember what day the Krikzz 20% off sale usually starts? I seem to remember it being a few days before Thanksgiving, and I need a Mega EverDrive X7.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah. Honestly that's why it was so hilarious when you had people back a few months ago doomsaying about all this precious irretrievable history that was going to be lost. poo poo was literally ROM site #726629 and passing around the same set of rips thats been online since before the N64 was out getting taken down eventually just like site #726628.

I've got complete ROM sets for nearly every cartridge console that was ever out, it's less than 32 GB. You can get a brand new 32 GB usb stick or microsd card for $5 nowadays, no excuse not to have a copy around if you're at all interested.

People did overreact, but EmuParadise had a particularly good interface, no pop-ups, and didn't redirect the download to a sketchy-looking Russian site. Among ROM sites, it was one of the best.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone know how long SAG takes to ship Everdrives? I'm sure they take less time than Krikzz.

I ordered a Mega EverDrive on Thanksgiving. It will arrive today.

I've ordered directly from Krikzz a few times, and he ships pretty quickly if he has it in stock. The hold up is the export from the Ukraine.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Hmmm. I ordered an Everdrive 64 and it's still awaiting fullfillment

The 3.x version? On the website it currently shows a 3-6 week wait on those. I'm betting they are waiting on new stock.

Also, if this is the case, they absolutely should have informed you.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why don't you drat kids love Keith Courage

The best thing I can say about Keith Courage is that it has unlimited continues.

The worst thing I can say about Keith Courage is that it has unlimited continues.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

You know, I can buy that about the damage. That makes sense. Samus isn't at the top of her game, and can't just wreck everything in her path like Metroid / Super Metroid. Hmm.

Also yeah, gonna try Zero Mission next, I've heard similar things.

Unlocking all the pictures in Zero Mission is a pretty nice little challenge, in particular finishing the game with low item percentages. You begin to see exactly how well designed it is.

But the zero suit stealth part really is crap.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bank posted:

For whatever reason I decided to play Toy Story on Genesis last night (nostalgia I suppose).

That was the first game that ever made me physically ill. The crane game level legit made me want to puke.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bank posted:

The one where you whip the aliens into the claw machine, or when you are inside the machine finding the aliens? If it was inside, me too. The graphics were amazing as a kid though (wow 3d)

Inside, ya. I played the level once and had to lay down after, I got so dizzy.

One of the major reasons I’m into retro games is that most first-person games make me sick.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My daughter was 3 when this came out. She loved it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sweet. I don't have a GBA overdrive yet, and I will gladly wait on this one.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Of the masses of games dirt cheap on GoG right now, any particular standouts?

The whole lot of 67 games barely cracks $100. Go wild, man.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thank you for that link.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Have we even seen the dock yet? I can’t recall any mockups.

I’ll be ordering one, regardless.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh ya, I do remember that. And, looking again, I can see why I immediately forgot about it.

Still gonna get one.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Mario Bros movie Yoshi doesnt seem so bad now...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I was on the verge of purchasing a MiSTer when the date announcement came up.

The system, dock, and all the adapters are gonna cost me a pretty penny, but I’m ready. Just wish the wait wasn’t so long.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So 2020 animation style with 1990s faux edginess.

Hard pass.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just once I'd love to buy something at release without the web store crapping out.

This isn't aimed at Analogue. It's aimed at the internet as a whole.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay it went through.

Slightly annoyed that the Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx adapters are "coming soon." But I'll live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, I’m in the “controls under the screen” crew as well. I’ve always found it as, if not more, comfortable.