Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Agent under fire was cheap and boots when you load a save from the menu. Not the fastest but cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is Swiss iso only?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a good source for replacement console shells? I'm getting some beater systems to mod and I'd like to do something wild with the modded ones.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone on FB Marketplace is selling a GDEMU Dreamcast. I looked to see how much the parts are and it's not bad. Is there any serious drawback to the GDEMU vs the newer one that does saturn or DC?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Interesting. Is there a RELIABLE place to get one?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

OK that is pretty much all my questions answered. The Terraonion MODE seems to be 2-4 times the price but I'll just wait.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

If you really want to dive deep into :retrogames: on this particular project, you can make a track pad that will really last out of wood/metal like one of those DIY DDR pads. https://imgur.com/gallery/vjYcK

Edit: poo poo, missed Light Gun Man suggesting the same thing, but I have a link showing an example of the build process.

Just buy my ddr x pad from me. I bought two and don’t have room.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a version of the xbox component cables that isn't super expensive or is there a decent HDMI converter?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

There is an og xbox mod that provides direct hdmi out but it isn't a plug-in solution. Someone else might have the name... I forget who is developing it off hand.

I think what you can do is get the Wii component cables (which are plentiful) and then get one of these:

https://www.retrorgb.com/review-of-the-xbox2wii-component-adapter.html

Oh that's interesting. I had a good source for official wii component cables (that I need anyway) but they're starting to creep back up.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I loved DKC when I was a kid. Probably my favorite game from that era. I did a lot of Donkey Kong related crafts and other weird kid stuff.
Now I'm just really into the original Donkey Kong.

And yes, DK 94 is fantastic. My favorite Game Boy game by far.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

UMK3 is decent from a gameplay perspective. Mk1 feels so slow now. Mk2 is ok. I don’t think I’ve ever even put a quarter in 4.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

If you're going to play UMK3, you have to stick with UMK3+ (and MK+ and MKII+ for that matter).

The definitive versions of the first three games IMO.

https://www.mortalkombatplus.com

I have a MK2 in parts I was planning on making a MK2 plus but maybe I should just make it UMK3 plus. I'm changing all the roms anyway.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

Different motherboards, you need a MK3 to do UMK3 or UMK3+.

I know one of the generations of midway hardware is pretty flexible on what games it runs (thats how they were able to get Judge Dredd running and some other protos) but I don't know too much about the different generations.
Edit: looks like 2 is a T unit and 3 is a wolf unit so RIP me.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 23, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there any chance they actually add the entire roster of MKT to this UMK3+ hack?

That's probably a bit too much data

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think I’m going to allow myself one ODE or flash cart on the Stone Age gamer sale (plus a gcn hdmi adapter)

But what cart!?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm at a tossup between a MODE and an Everdrive 64.

I'm leaning toward the 64 since I think that would get more use but I'd also have to get a better video cable for the 64.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Got my GCHD and I'm quite happy with it.
I got the Retro Tink 2x Mini to use with the n64. It's better than the other scaler I had for sure.
Does anyone have the EON 64? I didn't feel like springing for it after buying the GCN one.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The videos look pretty darn close just seeing if anyone here has tried it hands on.

Also, who makes good Nintendo 64 S Video cables these days? I have some I bought a while ago but I'm not sure they're any good.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ok so far super happy with the gchd. Need to read up on advanced features but between Swiss and it I’m going to do a good amount of gamecubing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

. Any body else thinking New Year's retro gaming resolutions yet?

I'm probably not going to get through my this year goal of beating all the Zelda games in timeline order. Skyward Sword about derailed that entire experience and took months.
But, uhh that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just beat minish cap and I was pleasantly surprised. Once you get past that opening it’s fine.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Also this is my new goal for ... next summer? It's way down my list to get to.

edit:\/ no

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 8, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Replace the middle one with a Wii.

That's a good idea !

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think the only PSX game I still own is No One Can Stop Mr Domino

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I love open ice. It’s the only full size game we kept from the arcade we were opening. It feels super wrong in mame for some reason.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Kins posted:

A TV production line seems like a sufficiently non-trivial thing to put together that I doubt it's within the reach of online crowdfunding or small-to-medium-sized businesses, and I'd be highly surprised if there are any remaining CRT production lines left in China or other countries where electronics are manufactured.

Still a handful of places making universal chassis for the arcade crowd. The actual glass portion has to be a huge pain in the rear end though.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Guess I'll play.
I have a newer Samsung CRT with my NES, Snes, Saturn and Wii (temporarily on the big TV for four swords).

First input has minis: NES, SNES, TG16, GEN and PSX (it was cheap!)

Second input is Xbox One X Taco Bell edition, WiiU, DC, 360 (R2D2), OPL PS2, PS3 and SteamLink (barely works!).

The new TV thankfully has one more input than my old TV so I can use the Switch, GameCube (GCHD) and N64 (tinkmini - works great!).

Upstairs I have the PS4 Pro and an additional Switch dock.

I have a Model 1 Genesis and 32X that I don't have cords for as well. Just picked up an early model PSX which I probably won't set up.

Really need to get some Everdrives and a better converter, like an OSSC or whatever.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I got my Satiator today as well. Should I get the 1MB/4MB action replay cart? How do those play with the Satiator?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’ve been fixing a bunch of ps3 (is it retro?) controllers and I wish someone made a new foam piece for the contacts. It’s an easy fix typically but a little hacky

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Just saw the tweet about this being out there for the public. Can't wait to get home and try this out, I also never thought I would be able to play it myself. Just chocked it up as another awesome game lost to the ether.

I always thought the missions were really good in that game but once Quake 2 engine games started coming out it felt so slow. Excited to try the new version if possible.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The XBLA Goldeneye is interesting. I don't think I'll play through it unless someone hacks decent mouselook into it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There’s an ice blue n64 with the hdmi mod at the store I used to work at. I want it real bad for no real reason. I might have to talk him into putting it up on eBay.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The four or so N64 only games are games I love and they haven’t really been remade. But past that It is probably my least favorite Nintendo system (that I own!).
So I will be buying the new digital out kit and an everdrive.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had a hell of a time with skyward sword and motion controls on the big screen. I finally gave up and used my older, small tv and it was ok. Looked a lot better even.
The motion controls are cool when they work but it’s exhausting.
Makes it hard to play the Zelda games chronologically when the first one is so draining with so much padding.
I mean STORY chronologically not release

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 7, 2021

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Azubah posted:

I remember dropping Skyward Sword after the 4th goddamn time I had to prove I was the chosen one.

Bitch I have the master sword, that's literally the thing that proves you're the chosen one.

I think I just iron manned that entire third trip through all the worlds I was so ready to be done.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I severed my ide cable putting the Xbox I just modded back together. The replacement I ordered was only 18 inches despite saying it was two feet.
I’m mad.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

There’s the Starcraft Ghost prototype that got leaked. It’s Xbox only.

OK I checked this out and is is, well, sure something!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Finally did my gc loader but hell if I don’t miss the intro movie.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a tradeoff.

Trying this out asap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qBbBP_DAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Does gbi work with the link cable ?