Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey we have a new thread. I haven't spent a lot of time or money on my collection lately but I still like retro gaming and even picked up a snes classic.

Every month I debate if I should just sell some of my valuable games and pick up flash carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sir Tonk posted:

The prices just keep going up on stuff, but that can't continue forever.

All the people nostalgic for the SNES will stop wanting games eventually and the next generation won't give a gently caress.

Yeah people say about the bubble bursting but really I see more that prices will dip/correct itself and level out. We won't go back to sub $500 little Samson or $50 earthbound like ten years ago. Every generation that grows up has lesser people that actually might be interested in physical retro stuff. There's gonna be a breaking point between these high prices and what people really want to spend on this hobby.

Prices are so high these days I would only have to sell like 5-10% of my collection to afford flash carts. I only want a nes/snes flash cart and a Sega saturn flash drive replacement. It gets more tempting every month and next year maybe I'll just buckle down, figure out what I would miss the least about my collection and get those flash carts.

Was there a conclusion to that debate about flash carts hurting the consoles through too much voltage or something?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Just wanted to respond to something fishmech posted in the last thread:

This mostly works, but be aware that there’s a decent number of games from the back half of the 360’s lifecycle (GTAV, Dragon Age Inquisition) that have mandatory HDD installs that require an official Hard Drive and won’t install on a USB drive.

Note that the Xbox one does play a large portion of Xbox 360 games (more than half if I remember right) and supports all installs to an external drive. Might be worth investing in a used Xbox one s. Gives you a 4k Blu Ray player, and access to rare replay and a large Xbox 360 library. They're also working on original Xbox og compatiblility.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

azurite posted:

I don't think I've heard of anyone blowing up their consoles, but one good conclusion is Krikzz beginning to include proper voltage translation on new boards and revisions.

Yeah I don't think it was quite blowing up consoles, but rather, likely degrading them at a faster rate. If krikzz is getting proper voltage, it would be a good time to invest in flash carts. All I have to do is sell one copy of metal storm and I could afford the nes flash cart already.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

It actually doens't play a lot of 360 games that aren't the super big hits, so it's extremely not worth it. Considering that original Xbox on 360 was the same way and really buggy at that, I wouldn't be hopeful there either. Out of my collection of about 60 360 games and another 50 Old Xbox games, only about 7 period are forward compatible and 3 of them are compromised due to emulation issues.

Well yes of course more popular games are more common but I'm surprised at how few games you have that would work. Xbox og bc on Xbox 360 is more buggy than 360 on one so don't take it as an example of what the one is like playing 360 games. Did you consult their list lately? They literally update it with nearly 2-4 games every week. A week or two ago they got fable pub games working. They even have Japanese shmups like bullet soul running so they're not ignoring those as well.

And the real value is their promise that every title they have working will be forward compatible with every future Xbox. And a lot of them run much smoother on Xbox one. Reports indicate they'll look better on the Xbox one x, which will be on sale in a few years for less than $200.

Nothing wrong with keeping a 360 right now and playing everything on it but it's worth keeping an eye on Xbox one and its BC to see how it looks in the end. At the very least it actually will keep Xbox 360 disc prices lower as practically every game that's backwards compatible is actually available for sale digitally.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fgpa snes looks cool. I'll buy one after they confirm jailbreak and maybe if they get other 16 bit core systems on it too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Good/interesting PS1 stuff off the top of my head—

RayStorm, RayCrisis, Einhander, Sanvein, In the Hunt, R-Types, R-Type Delta

Imports: Gunners Heaven (very good Gunstar Heroes knockoff, possibly closest to what you're looking for), Gaia Seed, Zanac X Zanac, iS: Internal Section, Harmful Park

There have to be some good run & guns I'm forgetting.

Wow someone else actually mentioned Sanvein. Funny story. I have a sealed copy I picked up for about five bucks at a local game store. They had two more copies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I got the Art of Atari book and holy goddamn its fantastic. Are there any other good retrogame art books that have a good balance of artwork and text? I love reading about the context and design methodology behind the artwork almost as much as the artwork itself.

If you don't have the unofficial famicom/super Famicom complications, look into it. There's one for commodore and Amiga too. Very hefty books with lots of art and content.

Published by bitmap books.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I just got the bitmap book: neo geo a visual history. God drat this is amazing. Makes me want a neo geo but I'll settle for the aca ports.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Also they almost never go on sale any other time. It's pretty much your only chance for a good deal.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I only have kings field.

But I do have a shadow tower that I picked up sealed off Amazon for ten bucks like five years ago. Apperently it goes for more than $100 now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Didn't Lowtax once spot someone browsing the forums on some lovely old web browser for TV?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

They're cheap to come by. That's why people sometimes use the wii as a GameCube player.

The problem is, you can't use the game boy player.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Isn't there a 360 native copy? This is using a Xbox og copy on 360 right.

Honestly Xbox og on Xbox 360 seriously sucks. A good portion of the games run worse than the original hardware. Probably the worst backwards compatibility to ever exist.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Best we can hope for is that Xbox one will get mvc2 as a bc title. Probably not since if the digital version is removed it means the copyright is all kinds of hosed up and even getting it released as a future title on a future bc means someone needs to sign off on it and irrc there's nobody to. Isn't the main issue related to marvel/x-men stuff basically?

So either play on the og Xbox or a dreamcast I guess.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

For saturn don't forget deep fear which is actually a really good resident evil knockoff but underwater.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I don't follow these things closely. Is the sd card thing for saturn not available yet?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I picked up a Race Drivin' cab for $300 a couple weeks ago. It crashed in attract mode, made a nasty buzzing noise, and the controls didn't work. The showroom I saw it in said they were sick of fixing it. I put in a new power supply and ordered new NVRAM chips (they used a calendar chip and 8K ZRAM chip with lithium batteries in them) and now there's no more buzzing, it doesn't crash anymore, and the controls mostly work. There's something wrong with the brake pedal linkage (the strain gauge is thankfully OK) and there's a bad cap in the monitor or something.

It's still pretty dirty and the back of the cabinet is a mess but it works!

Its funny. Today I was playing gran turismo sport with a high tech wheel and a driving chair and I still wanna give that cabinet a try.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Oh, I didn't realize there was an ongoing N64 FPGA project. It's pretty far along...

https://twitter.com/UFp64/status/1275200752781164544

FPGA means we could make accurate hardware right? So if for some reason every n64 in the world died, we could probably buy a FPGA console and still play all our cartridges.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I'll join the discord I could use some retro chat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some Goon posted:

For anything legitimately rare probably not, but PS2s are more common than dirt. Once people aren't stuck inside and feeling nostalgic they'll be cheap again.

I'm going to have to agree. For anything that's just common but in demand (Mario kart, Pokémon, switches, ring fit adventure as examples) the price is only high because too many people are buying at the same time. It levels out once a lot of people are trying to sell and put theirs a dollar or two under the next guy.

The problem is that rare stuff like horror ps2 games (look up how much kuon, rule of rose or haunting ground go for now) have always been going up and I'd imagine a non-zero amount of collectors got that nice stimulus package but likely still have their jobs so they just used it to buy more collection pieces, removing them from the market and prices keep going up. Rare stuff always has a bit of a price memory imho, they rarely go down and even if only one or two are sold every week, they tend to be around the price of the previous one sold or higher.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

on the other hand, recent revelations about the PS2 mean you don't have to actually buy those games anymore if you have a working DVD burner, so some of them might go down simply because the general non-collector interest is no longer there. if you just want to play Haunting Ground or Rule of Rose or Fatal Frame 2, you can just... put FreeMCBoot on your PS2 with the new DVD hack, piss easy, and burn a copy. you only need to track down a legit copy if having a legit copy is the point, and i suspect a lot less people care about that than about just playing the drat things.

This is a weird situation because there are cases where there's plenty of ways to get a game legally for cheaper than the original release (albeit in digital form) like the release of ikaruga on various consoles, radiant silver gun on xbox (360 and One) or that you can buy ps1 isos of mega man legends 1/2 and tron Bonne that plays on a psp/vita/ps3 and yet those prices still remain pretty high.

Though it could be argued those prices may go even higher without said digital releases.

Then there's cases like when the dot hack gu trilogy got a remaster that's with even more content and considered the definitive edition, it cratered the prices of the ps2 games (seriously they're worth like a third of the prices they used to be before the announcement of the remaster)

Also emulation has been around for decades but super mario world is still a $15 cart. I don't think easier access to running isos on ps2 is gonna reduce prices long term. The option is nice though if my ps2 games die to bit rot or something. At this point though I'd say rule of rose is almost purely a collector's piece. Anyone that wants to experience it has emulated it or watched a let's play by now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Regarding Jeremy Parish has he said why he's slowed down on his publications? I liked his Gameboy World books but hey only did two (same for nes works) like years ago and he still updates the game boy world website occasionally so does he still intend to try and get more books?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

He spent a year caring for his dying mother and has only recently resumed production "in force" after having to hunt down things he lost during that time. Chronturbo 6 just dropped and he's got most of the next Chrontendo in the can according to his twitter, it sounds like it might even make it this month.

Virtual Boy Works is the next book and he's in the formatting phase, some samples have shown up. He's also split a bit since he now makes content for his day job and that pays more than the rest of us from what I gather.

Hi, ask me where my cash goes on Patreon, haha

Ah gotcha. If I was him, I'd at least try to finish one of those works first before taking on another console. Virtual boy probably only needs one book but still, doing game boy and nes works at the same time must take a lot of effort.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any links to Jeremy's books? I had no idea he wrote any. I'd love to buy a Virtual Boy book from him. Where does he sell them?

His game boy world is out of print if I remember right but fangamer.com has his nes and game boy works. You get a discount for buying both vol 1 and 2!

I assume virtual boy will be on there once it's done.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So has anyone had some experience with the new freeboot DVD exploit for the ps2? Would like to ask someone who's had some hands on experience.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I'm gonna pre-order the analogue pocket with a dock.

The painful part is waiting until next May for this.

The real question now is what color to pick? White is neater looking but black seems to be more natural for the screen.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some Goon posted:

$200 ain't a bad price, but factor in the dock and potentially everdrives if you're not willing to wait for the alternative firmware and it becomes a pricy little pile.

I actually have a gb and gba ever drive so I'm already mostly set on this. (plus to be frank you can say the same thing about the other FPGA consoles, where if you wanna get an ever drive it drives up the price, the dock, I'll give you is definitely a pricy option) I sold a gameboy light and that's basically funded half of this and I have a few more game boy games and systems. I can sell and should fund this entirely through retro selling.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zeether posted:

God drat it I have an old PS1 and I'd love to get that for it but I can't solder at all. Why do they require soldering if other disc based consoles like the Saturn have plug and play ODEs??

Also speaking of which, does the MODE require cooling/venting or something on Dreamcast like the GDEMU or will it go in fine and not cause overheating problems?

Our very own console modder, monitor burn could probably do this for you with not too much expense. And ps1s are pretty light to send in the mail.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

falz posted:

Holy poo poo this went up. I thought panzer dragoon saga was top Saturn at $600 or so, just looked that up and now it's $1200ish.

eBay is still fine imo, if the winning bidder has zero feedback and or is a new account I'd be concerned I guess.

I still can't believe that a pandemic shot game prices up quicker than anything in recent history, people are idiots with money.

It's one of three things.

1. People are inside more so they've given more time to think about and play games.

2. That stimulus check(s) gave out a lot of disposable income.

3. Things might get even worse or you might die of cornoa so why not enjoy some games before then.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

falz posted:

I'm sure it's all 3, but if you're getting a stimulus check perhaps dont treat it as disposable income, I guess.

Having it based on income that's not relative to your region probably does mean that it's Wyoming or whatever makes it way more disposable than on a coast though.

It is technically treated as disposable income by the government. It's for uh, stimulating the economy.

The extra unemployment money and stuff like preventing evictions is for people who lost their jobs and need to make rent and such.

I'm not gonna argue about should the $1,200 be disposable or not but that is how the government seems to treat it.

I stashed mine into a savings account and I will with the next one as well in case things ever get worse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm really glad I got my analogue pocket order in. It's my first FPGA hardware and it'll be nice to replace all these game boys I've got.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Djarum posted:

The whole Pocket thing seems.... weird. Like they are taking preorders for something not produced yet. Wouldn't the smart idea be to take the money from everyone that wants to buy one and then produce that many plus x amount of extras? That is what most places that do something like this does, it's effectively free money to pay for extra stock.

The most likely explanation is there's some specialized chips in limited supply and they're only confident they can secure x amount of chips and ship by may 2021. So they've set a pre-order for x amount of units too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My only retro game regret currently is that I didn't buy blood will tell. I actually bought one for $40 complete years ago but it got lost in the mail and I never bought another (got refunded). Now it's way too expensive for me.

I have so many pricy ps2 games except that one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

While I'm also angry posting, I'm also angry about this. Almost every game I was wanting to buy has gone up by at least 50% in price on Ebay, some of them have literally doubled in the sold price. It's really putting me off with collecting physical games.

This is definitely not the year to buy physical (old) games. Wait until the pandemic dies down and we may see prices correct.

Or just say gently caress it and go everdrives and FPGA for everything.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

njsykora posted:

Or collect something other than Nintendo/Sega stuff, PS1 prices have barely moved for the most part.

Dunno dude, there's movement for ps1 as well. Especially complete

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/lunar-2-eternal-blue-complete

Check out the chart and see how it spikes just like we've seen nintendo games spike since beginning of 2020.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends

Especially check the spike on CIB.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/final-fantasy-viii

What should be a common game.

And don't get me started on ps2! (check the holy horror trinity; rule of rose, haunting ground and kuon)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm definitely glad I didn't invest in a big physical collection. Back in like 2007 I bought a few SNES games like FF6, Super Metroid etc. for maybe 20 bucks Canadian each from a guy who also sold bongs in my university cafeteria. Good guy.
Now I'm totally happy having just everdrives and I really want to set up ODEs.

If you purchased anything that was highly desired or rare over ten years ago, I bet you can sell less than one third of whatever you've collected just to make your money back.

I have not paid any of my own personal money for retro games/products for the last three years. I've just sold extra stuff or stuff I wouldn't miss that much and paid off things like GB/Gba everdrives and now I just sold a bunch of stuff just to get the analogue pocket/dock and still have extra cash in my paypal.

On the other hand, it's really hard though with some games where you've paid $10-20 originally and it's worth $100+ and you know if you sell that one you'll probably never see it again because you can never justify that price.

I know what's gonna happen a lot less is people going for complete sets. It's just too prohibitively expensive to do so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ofecks posted:

When Capcom's web store was clearing out their DC stock for like, :10bux: each in 2002-ish, Project Justice was among the selection. If only we knew.

Something a bit closer in modern times, square Enix still sold dragon quest games for the ds brand new for as low as like $25 only five years ago. Now any sealed dragon quest ds game goes for $100+. I bought dragon quest v but I wish I got the others.

People are apparently paying $100 just for cib DQVI on ds.

Slightly on this topic, I feel like the ds/ps2/gc/wii gens are going to be some of the last with high prices (I'm gonna say higher than original msrp, since price is sort of subjective) for desirable games. On say, the 3ds,wiiu or ps3/ps4 you can buy most games digitally so it satisfies demand. Like for example you can buy dragon quest viii digitally so the physical price hasn't gotten high.

Of course just gotta wait until it's unavailable digitally. And this only applies when the game is on the same platform. Otherwise it's weird that games like Misadventures of Tron Bonnie and Sudioken II are $100+ on PS1 physically but you can buy a legal digital copy on any ps3/vita for $10.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

All the DS Dragon Quests have been available legally on Android/iOS too. And they're excellent ports.

Yeah which is also why it's kind of weird that it's so much more for the original DS copies. But that's why I think there's an (unspoken) rule that a legal digital release of a game only really affects the prices of the physical one when they're both available on the same platform. The only advantage of the mobile ports is possibly playing them with real buttons on a ds/3ds (if the mobile ports support controllers well that just goes out the window)

I really should find some kind of low cost android box so I can put some of these excellent mobile ports on.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 6, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some Goon posted:

I find it hard to believe CIB and digital copies are competing for a market. Mostly I think the consoles you've listed aren't old enough to have developed a collectors market. For mere playablity you're probably right, but that would only cap value around that of the digital copy.

Right that's what I'm saying. When a game is released both physically and digitally on the same platform, unless it's a rare case (limited run games, or that one print run of gravity rush for ps4, known to be extremely limited, or games already delisted) the physical game is capped at or around the digital price. For people that want to play (legally too mind you) if the physical price tends to be closer to digital price and the game may be hard to find in stores, like DQ8 they may be inclined to buy it digitally (plus digital games still sometimes go on sale on 3ds too) this removes demand for the physical copy.

Ps3 is 7-14 years old. Nintendo DS is about the same age too, and a lot of ds games are starting to increase in price. Ps3 doesn't seem to be as much since it's got a lot more available digitally. When I scan prices of ds games, I see a lot that were already over msrp just for a loose copy. Ps3 has fewer cases of this.

Of course this all goes out the window if/when Sony doesn't allow any new ps3 games to be purchased. It's all a working theory because the last ten to fifteen years is very new in terms of how games were made available digitally on consoles.

There is always a segment for people who only collect physical, but at the same time there's a segment of people who just want to play the game and the digital copies can help fulfill a lot of that demand and avoid much overlap into that collector space, and with more copies to go around, price is less for collectors. This is a pretty good deal for almost everyone.

Ofecks posted:

drat, I had all of the DQ games on DS (except the DQMs) and unloaded them in 2013. Probably at a slight loss. That was the last time I sold anything on Ebay, actually.

You're not a retro collector until you've had some regret of selling something that has appreciated in value.

The worst part of watching stuff go up in value is knowing you'll probably never have a legit copy of it again because if you sold it at $XX price you're not likely to buy it again now that it's $YYY. Well that and knowing if you kept it a little longer you'd have gotten mlre

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're a retro collector why are you selling stuff in the first place? That makes you a retro speculator.

Because I bought boxes upon boxes of dirt cheap games decades ago and even now there are a few I haven't even touched and if I can make some cool Gs out of some of them and barely even miss them, then why not?

Not selling/getting rid of stuff makes you more like a hoarder.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When I bought DQVIII (3DS) last year there were lots of sealed copies on eBay for $38ish Buy Now pricing. So I think that title hasn't gone up much because it's only been as of recent that supply has been snatched up.

As for the DS, you can see the price disparity between loose (generally bootleg) carts and CiB copies of popular games. People who want to play DQV will either pick up a loose cart whether they know or not that it's likely bootleg or they'll just download it for the flash cart they already have anyways. I don't think there that many people who are willing to pay $100 for a CiB copy "just to be sure it's legit" unless they actually want it for their collection.

So, basically, the digital market disincentives the cheap bootleg market, but I'm not sure it influences CiB all that much. Now, whether anyways cares about, say, the physical Switch market in 20 years who isn't already a retro collector today is another matter.

Yeah it's definitely a very complicated situation and only time will tell if as many people have the same view on 3ds as they do with the snes, given also that a good portion of those games are available digitally. But you do have to admit when it comes to much more common stuff, you're not gonna see new super mario bros 2 be more than $20 cib as long as it's available as a digital title for $20 as well.

Once the eshop closes down though, none of this applies.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 6, 2020