Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Mario Bros USA is a Bad Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Microsoft is prioritising digital-only games when it comes to XB1 BC, so the current BC library has a lot of weird forgotten XBLA games while missing a lot of obvious retail titles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, but I seemed to recall it was missing the music and something else from the US PS2 release. Or was that the iOS port only? gently caress, it's a mess.

The Japanese 3DS version of 8 (and 7) have new orchestrated versions of the music; it's not the same music used for the US PS2 version.

The iOS versions and international 3DS versions reverted to (new) sequenced music because Koichi Sugiyama is a cranky old man who can make it really difficult to use or re-use his music if he so chooses.

There are homebrew patches that'll let you replace the music, if it really bothers you.

EDIT: re iOS vs. 3DS, iOS DQ8 is a Unity remake of the original Japanese PS2 version whereas the 3DS version has most of the QOL updates from the US version plus a ton more changes/additions that aren't available in any other version. DQ7 iOS is a port of the 3DS version.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 23, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm happy to crowdfund the acquisition of prototypes by the right people but I get a little leery of people who expect compensation for dumping things they've owned for ages, or found for a pittance or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I seriously have no idea why this notoriously bad game got ported to so many things, it even has a X68000 port, a system with no shortage of actual good STGs. I honestly don't even know why the bitmaps get so much love in general, aside from speedball 2 their games all play like poo poo even by euro standards

Xenon 2's cult status in Japan is entirely due to the music (and not even the actual music, just the general novelty of being a game with that style of music at that time). I hear Japanese dudes namedrop it every so often and it always catches me by surprise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never forget:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From memory, the earliest commercial emulation came from Digital Eclipse , who did an emulated Atari collection for Macintosh or something in, like, '94.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

Finally grabbed a copy of Contra Shattered Soldier. The early 2000's sure were a crazy time. Mandatory edgy intro fmvs with heavy metal music and gritty reboots for all. Great game nonetheless.

Don't worry, there's plenty of self-aware ridiculous bullshit in there too, and Neo Contra is even more over-the-top.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every incarnation of this thread has a high concentration of weirdos who love the trashy also-ran consoles to a fault.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eh it's no Addams Family Values but I can see why some people might like it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

GutBomb posted:

I don't have one yet but I've been planning on getting one. Is the general consensus that the Saturn's arcade ports are poo poo, or is that just one poster with bad opinions?

Certain arcade genres tended to fare better on the Saturn than PSX, given the standards of the time, but that doesn't mean all the ports are still relevant today or that it didn't have its share of mediocre ports.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

I know Symphony of the Night is a great game but does a loose greatest hits version disc need to cost US$60? What kind of volume print run did those green label games get anyway?

I forget the specifics but I believe SOTN's "greatest hits" run had no correlation to the game's actual popularity and was mainly just a marketing ploy by Sony to get more people to buy it, so it may be that there aren't actually a ton of them around.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Turbinosamente posted:

It'll be interesting to see if your opinion on Starfy changes by the time you get to the DS game. That was the one I tried and wasn't able to get into it, kinda curious if the earlier games were better/more charming.

The DS game is a back-to-basics/return to the roots game and is simpler and easier than the later GBA games, but not by a whole lot - the other games gradually added more minigames, extra modes, actions etc but the DS game stripped away most of that stuff for no good reason.

The third GBA game's the best, I suppose, purely because someone at TOSE cashed an IOU and got Wario to show up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of stunned by this, because I'd figure that generally when you're hiring TOSE you want to hide at all costs the fact that you hired TOSE.

Every other Japanese console game of a certain size gets touched by TOSE in some capacity, it's just a reality of the business and it's doesn't really indicate anything about the quality of the game. (All the "we don't know what to do with this game, gently caress it, give it to TOSE" crap tends to be released on smartphones nowadays.)

They've gotten a couple of big press spikes in Japan this year, particularly when they announced they'd worked on Splatoon 2 and their share price shot way the hell up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of puzzle games, drat do I want a new Adventures of Lolo. BOXBOY is cool, but now that it's over I want to see HAL return to Eggerland. I've dreamed about what they could do by adding multi-tiered levels, if the single screen grids have exhausted all interesting possibilities. I love the feeling that type of action-puzzle game gives you where you can almost feel your brain being re-wired.

Nintendo made an Eggerland-style action-puzzle game with dual-layer levels, it's called Mole Mania and you can pick it up for Game Boy or 3DS VC. It's not as cutthroat as the later Eggerland games but it's still good fun, and the audiovisual aspects are way more polished.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MvC2 XBLA/PSN did well at the time and was part of the reason MvC3 was a thing, but it'll be a long time before they reissue it because it takes far more work to port than any of their ROM-based games (and they're not going to reissue most of those, either, because the Marvel 2-pack and Darkstalkers Resurrection both flopped). Even SF2 HD Remix wasn't an outright success due to production issues and so on, despite being a big seller.

They just reissued for UMvC3 for current-gen and PC, so they're clearly not opposed to putting out the old stuff if they think it's worth the effort.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's absolutely legit, Ozisoft just put out crummy stuff a lot of the time. They're also the reason Sega and the Master System in particular did well down here, they'd sell poo poo for much cheaper than Nintendo games.

The best/worst Ozisoft variants were the grey plastic ones - they're the worst because they scratch really easy and are very easy to mess up but they're also the best because some collectors will pay dumb amounts of money for them:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rez has been completely and thoroughly obsoleted by Rez Infinite.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

He was never really into the SNES. The wired controllers would be a no-go too unless they're super long.

Edit: I guess I didn't mention, where he sits in the living room I can't see an average wired controller reaching from where a system would be hooked up.

http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products
http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes-sfc-classic/

Grab one of these controllers and an adapter - the controllers work with PC, Switch and Pi and the adapters let them work with NES/SNES Mini plus Wii and Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hexwren posted:

I thought Ducktales was the one with the infinity dollar sequel

They both are, they're both late-era NES games.

I think Ducktales Game Boy is the opposite - the second one's pretty common, the first one's pricey - but I haven't priced them in forever, nor do I recommend playing the first one on Game Boy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Apparently it had a sequel only released in Japan, and that's the first thing I'm going to play on my NES Everdrive when it arrives.

Yep, and the tradeoff was the US got a second Rad Racer game that never came out in Japan.

Both 3D World Runner games and the Japanese version of Rad Racer (Highway Star) supported the Famicom's 3D shutter glasses, by the way - the effect isn't great but it's way better than the red/green mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rescue Rangers 1 & 2 also just got re-released as part of the Disney Afternoon Collection but Vice Project Doom is never coming back.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

dude change your avatar.

I've grown to love the Pauline av, it makes me want to post less

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Big Word posted:

Apropos of nothing: whatever happened to Treasure? Aside from an unsubstantiated rumour from last year that they were "done making new games" I can't find anything about them going bust or winding down or anything. Apparently they did some Japan-only anime tie-in 3DS games in 2013/2014, but their most recent international releases were Bangai-O for xbla in 2011, and Sin and Punishment 2 in 2009.

I'd rebuy Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga for PS4 in a heartbeat, just saying

Treasure exists as a company and their president has promised to show something next year, but pretty much everyone else who worked on their classic library left years ago and is working elsewhere.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, Treasure's always been more like a collective game jam than a proper company hasn't it? They just kinda come and go from the company as they have ideas for titles.

That was true back in the day but I don't think it's necessarily true anymore - almost everyone you'd want to work on a Treasure game is gainfully employed at other companies and has been for some time and I don't think they're going to come back, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The press release they put out talks about accessories, not consoles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they're even going to be authentic replica controllers, they'll probably be vaguely Saturn/Megadrive/Dreamcast-shaped and that's as far as it goes, or they'll put ugly Altered Beast renders on them or something, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

I tried setting up a Wii with an NES emulator but it keeps crashing. Which is moot because I'm only noticing, now that I'm over my cold, that the cords that came with it smell like stinky cigars. :sassargh:

Fuuuuuck, I guess I'll get my dad something else for Christmas and come back to this project fpr his birthday in February. :negative:

Wii soft-modding is pretty straightforward, if you outline your process someone will probably be able to help you out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Turrican was one series I could not get into. I feel like the screen never scrolls far enough ahead to warn me of danger. Was the character severely nearsighted?

That's a common issue with a lot of early games but especially early computer games, the camera doesn't move until the character's at the far edge of the screen.

The Turrican games made for 16-bit consoles address a lot of those issues: the camera's better, there's invincibility on hit, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

I like to have a monitor that just displays random box arts from old systems, from NES to PS2 era, and I get a bit sad whenever I see the Dreamcast online games knowing those game servers are long dead at this point and probably unplayable.

A lot of them are still playable on fan servers and they're working on support for more games, including the 2k sports games: http://www.dreamcastlive.net/games.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A quick search tells me Izzy was made by a company called Alexandria Inc that only ever put out a few games, but the lead designer was a guy named William Anderson who did a lot of level design for the Virgin Genesis platformers (Mick & Mack, Cool Spot, Jungle Book, Aladdin) and they all had that meandering level structure.

Dude's website has a lot of design documents for the games he worked on - not just those platformers but later stuff like the first Maximo game, Abe's Odyssee, a cancelled Namco USA Pac-Man game, etc. http://awakengames.com/my-games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh poo poo if they got GT Interactive that means they own Doom 64 now

I don't think they got those brands or everything associated with those brands, just games that were at some point tangentially connected to them, and I presume they're not posting a straight list of the games they bought because most of them are poo poo.

EDIT: Doom 64 was a Midway game and even so, Zenimax owns the IP and isn't going to let anyone re-release a Doom game based on a hand-me-down console contract from twenty years ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remember reading interviews from someone at Sunsoft or one of the other publishers that said Warner Bros was really strict about how they were allowed to portray the characters and basically wouldn't let them make anything that might even imply the coyote caught the road runner.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mariooncrack posted:

Wasn't there a Tiny Toons game for Genesis that was pretty good? Those should count for WB games, right?

Konami made a lot of Tiny Toons games back then and I imagine they're all at least okay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

As a kid I played the SNES Tiny Toons (buster busts loose) by the Konami team that would become Treasure a whole lot and loved it. It's weird, I didn't really even care about the show back then but the full grown man at EB was extremely enthusiastic about it when I asked what was good for SNES lately and well he was right

The proto-Treasure guys worked on quite a few licensed games for Konami but I wanna say they were all gone or working on other stuff before then, I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: looking over the credits, Konami put out around 10 Tiny Toons games across NES, Game Boy, SNES and MD and the Treasure people had almost nothing to do with any of them - lotsa Goemon and TMNT people for the NES/SNES games, Konami's usual Game Boy team for the GB games and the Sega b-team for the MD games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

I think Treasure made the GBA game that was essentially a bad prototype for Astro Boy Omega Factor

Yeah, that and the cancelled PS2 fighting game that leaked online a few years ago.

The GBA game's not awful, just forgettable. Even the Astro Boy game gets by on fanservice, I feel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm not a big TMNT guy so I could be wrong but I think a lot of the characters from the TMNT Tournament Fighter games are from the comics?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Minidust posted:

I've always suspected that NES Turtles was some sort of SMB2-esque reskin of an unrelated game. Like Konami got the TMNT license and then shoehorned it into some other game mid-production so they could crank it out as soon as possible. The game has plenty of token TMNT trappings but when you look at all the enemies it just gets weird. Fire guy, chainsaw guy, giant bugs, jumping man, naked frog, ceiling mosquitos, eyeball thing, flame shooting rabbit robot, etc. On the other hand a lot of licensed games were just weird so that's probably all it is.

That's kinda what it is - it's heavily derived from a Famicom game called Getsu Fuuma Den, to the point where the Japanese version is called "Gekikame Ninja Den", partly because nobody in Japan knew what the hell "teenage mutant ninja turtles" were but also as a reference to that earlier game. It's not a 1:1 reskin or anything but a lot of the sounds, enemy/character movements, structure, etc is very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuU2rvPmGI

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know if or when he's releasing it but he just showed it off at a Magfest panel, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretty much every free-moving 3D action game Sega made that generation had a bad camera, regardless of the controller.