Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Thats less of an issue than it seems like, unless you really like that one port of Street Fighter II'

It's considered to be very good. Like, surprisingly good for the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

This English version was apparently produced by the original development team back in 1987. It was just never officially released for reasons never really explained, and only really given out to European computer game developers to use as reference for their ports to Amiga etc.

You can play english versions in MAME, but they are marked as bootlegs. You can also play the Virtual Console version, not sure how that works. I played a credit, it's pretty engrish-y but charming nonetheless. Good job M2.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The SMS music was so much better!

Disagree. The arcade version uses two PSG chips and is among the best music made for that style of audio.

Also, bat-tops in your mame cabinet... for shame. I guess it's otherwise kinda cool (loved TMNT AC as a kid), but it's no candy cab.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I never ran into problems with the GameCube d-pad. Yes, it's half the size of their previous d-pads, but it rolls really nice when you just place your thumb on it and rock it. Functionally similar to the Dreamcast pad, which I love.

I found the opposite to be true. GC was my next console after DC (I didn't get a PS2 until a few years later), and the GC dpad was incredibly stiff. It took a lot more pressure to use it than the DC pads I had. Made my thumb incredibly sore after playing NES games in Animal Crossing and the Zelda discs.

There's an arcade Asterix, too. It was done by none other than Konami during their foreign IP rush. I've not played it, but the graphics sure are nice.

http://www.klov.net/game_detail.php?game_id=6936

TheManWithNoName posted:

Castlevania Chronicles

gently caress yes, get this. One of the best old-style CVs. It's an enhanced port of Akumajou Dracula X68000. Difficulty warning - it's hard. It has an amazing OST, though. Four versions of it on-disc, even - X68k FM, Roland SC-55 MIDI, Roland MT-32 MIDI, and PS1 arrange. They are all pretty different and all have tracks worth listening to. In the NA version you had to enter a code to select which of the 3 X68k sound hardware you wanted to use.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

we still have to do this for model2 and naomi stuff...

and probably others that I don't know about

If you have an older PC you may also need speedhacked standalones for ZN-1, G-Net, Namco Systems 10-12, early Konami Bemani hardware, or CV1K

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 30, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

New Chrontendo episode out today. It's been a good while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Zs8kEBsyY

I'd probably never play them myself, so it's always interesting to see all those weird-rear end JP-only games. That, I think, is the best thing about this series.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

GutBomb posted:

that whole era is "the hardware wasn't ready for 3D yet but gently caress it let's do it anyway and make everything look like poo poo"

This is exactly how I feel about that console generation as well. Makes finding the 2D gems among the turds a bit more challenging. Some of the 2.5D stuff is ok, though.

I will say that a lot of the Saturn arcade ports have long been superseded by MAME. There are some exceptions:

Blast Wind - Technosoft vert shmup, arcade version was cancelled so this is the only way to play it
Cotton 2 - has 6 (!) frames of input lag in MAME and is unplayable there
Cotton Boomerang - see Cotton 2
Radiant Silvergun - Saturn mode
Game Tengoku - Saturn mode
Thunderforce V - not an arcade port, but better than on PS1 so the definitive version here

Hm, all shmups. Oh well, that's all I know about, really. Did Saturn Street Fighter Alpha 3 have the world tour mode? That would make it worth it over the arcade version.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

One thing I will say for Gradius II is it's one of those ports that surpasses the arcade version, besides the awesome CD soundtrack it has an entire extra level. So if you do dig Gradius it's a must own. There's a very good Salamander port available also.

A couple details about PCE Gradius 1 & 2:
Gradius 1 is quite nice in the video/audio department, but there is a ton of slowdown. Like, it's unplayable (for me) with more than two options. I always overclock the emulator when playing it, but flash cart users have no such solution.
Gradius 2 soundtrack is merely a rip of the arcade FM+PCM audio. It's nice but if you're expecting full Falcom-style rockband arrangements, you will be disappointed.
Both games have bonus levels, and they are cool.

I also recommend Salamander. There is far less slowdown than in Gradius 1 (although it's still there in some places) and improves on the arcade original in several aspects. There are also ports of Detana Twinbee and Parodius Da, but I'm not as familiar with those.

d0s posted:

this might be stupid childhood memories but I kinda remember way back in the mid-late 80's stereo was seen as something you primarily benefited from with headphones, like "wow it's in stereo gotta get some headphones for the correct experience". like the Game Boy having "stereo sound" printed on the cover but a single mono speaker

Can confirm Belmont's Revenge was goddamn amazing with headphones.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I forget the specifics but I believe SOTN's "greatest hits" run had no correlation to the game's actual popularity and was mainly just a marketing ploy by Sony to get more people to buy it, so it may be that there aren't actually a ton of them around.

When I bought it, it was only $20 for the black label original. 97 or 98.

It was from Babbages, where they'd gut all the new games for the tray/disc to keep them behind the counter and just put the case/manual on the wall. I bought Dragon Warrior 2 and Demon's Crest from them years before and they did the same thing with boxes/cartridges. The stuff behind the counter was shrink-wrapped and everything. Loss prevention, man.

univbee posted:

$20 for Dracula X Chronicles on PSP/PSVita

But that requires you to play DXC. :gonk:
Source: I did it to unlock SotN and hated every second I had to look at it. There might've been something off about the gameplay/controls too, but I specifically remember it being hideous.

Random question:
Are Zelda 2 loops 2+ any different from the first besides having maxed stats? Is the game more difficult at all?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

they gettin my waifu ready

https://imgur.com/a/jfz9R

The envy, it is me.

Do you have more horizontal or vertical games, and how easy are those things to rotate?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of which, I've started playing the DS port of DQ4 and I'm feeling like I probably should have gone with the actual NES version. Whoever did the translation packed it with people whose dialog is accented more poorly than Chris Claremont characters. And they also apparently didn't know what some of the words they're using for the language swapping emphasis actually mean which just makes it even more confusing to read.

The same British company has done localizations for all the DQ games since 8. I've heard lots of complaints similar to yours but I've thoroughly enjoyed all of their work. I found that it helped to quietly mouth out some of the trickier phrases as if I were imitating it and then it made sense. I think in 5 and 6 it's less of an issue, or nonexistant.

No BreakThru on that NES cart :(

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

No Karnov, either.

Sacrilege :argh: I didn't play it as a kid but I can definitely see its appeal.

hexwren posted:

the nes port is nothing to write home about, it feels like the arcade version as memory serves

Yeah it's a fine port, just slightly worse graphics. My cousins had a lot of NES games, a LOT. But they were mostly action games and arcade ports and stuff. No Zelda, no Metroid, no Mega Man, but a bunch of Data East's catalog. Maybe their games were cheaper or something? I dunno, but I found them to be mostly junk except BreakThru and Bump-N-Jump. Flinging your vehicle over obstacles is deeply satisfying for some reason.

The only game I had that they were ever impressed by was The Guardian Legend. One of those said cousins rushed out to buy the game the day I left after our visit.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I just got myself a Dreamcast and I'd like to know some good games that are not on every top10 list! aka the non-obvious gamers' essential pickups.

Grandia II
San Francisco Rush 2049 (those physics :psyduck:)
Giga Wing
Under Defeat

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I got my PVM on a nice retro style light green stool. It's quite sturdy. I'd probably put it on that TV stand if I had another place for my HDTV.

Coryoon :love: The last stage BGM is straight-up circus clown music but I love it. Naxat did a really good job blasting those waveforms.

e: for those wondering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WQz3Ex8vU

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 29, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Should I really get an Action Replay cartridge if my Saturn is already modded for region switching and I'm not too interested in arcade ports?

A better question would be - why would you get a Saturn at all if you don't like arcade games? :psyduck:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

This on a late-90's Sony analog receiver with big-rear end tower speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mOjHzTFiQ

That last bass note packs a punch. Half the time it went on to play Giga Wing, by far the loudest game I had. My poor downstairs neighbors. I was an inconsiderate poo poo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Alucardd posted:

So this came out of nowhere, a PC Engine CD ODE for original non duo models: https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

pretty expensive at $300 but it just kind of came out of nowhere and not only plays CD ISO and Hucard images off of an SD but also acts as a RGB graphics booster.

This is some insanely awesome poo poo. I'm assuming it doesn't work with Duos so that kinda sucks for people who have them. I don't think standard PCEs or Coregrafxes are very expensive though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

hexwren posted:

Was just looking at my shelf of NES games and realized that I've got 74 games. #75 should be something good, not just a five-dollar mistake like a lot of these games. Here's what I've got. What should I go for that isn't a billion dollars?

https://pastebin.com/8CHDUy9f

You need more Konami games. Get any of the Castlevanias, Life Force, Jackal, Contra, Metal Gear, Stinger, Gradius, Gyruss, Rush N Attack, etc. etc. If you have a way to play FC carts, definitely go for Gradius 2 and Akumajou Densetsu (you'll also need expansion audio for the latter).

You have neither of the Zelda games. I have no idea how pricey they are but both are must-haves. The sequel has a lot of haters but I chalk that up to them being scrubs that suck at action games, it is one of the best side-scrolling action/RPGs ever.

Others: Ninja Gaiden, Dino Riki, Abadox, Adventures of Lolo, Dragon Warrior 2/3/4, Final Fantasy, Batman, any of the Adventure Islands, Vice Project Doom

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 10, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

HEYO! Thread, long time no see.

I need a recommendation for a PSX emulator to play on WIndows 10. I just got into the mood for some FF7,

Both BizHawk and RetroArch use Mednafen cores so look into that.

Maybe also consider the steam version? It's an enhanced port of the old PC version. Reviews don't seem to indicate a complete dumpster fire and you'd be properly supporting SE.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/FINAL_FANTASY_VII/

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

It's the eighth or ninth best fighting game on Game Boy!

But yeah, the PS2/arcade one by Arc System Works is pretty good.

I saw a JP tournament for the arcade game (which is on Atomiswave hardware, IIRC) on Twitch a while back and it was absolutely insane.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ran across this last night. I recall seeing some of these in my youth. The first Nintendo one (1986) doesn't have Super Mario for some odd reason.

https://imgur.com/a/gPEEe

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

univbee posted:

Hey guys, remember Nintendo Power? It's back!

Yes, I loved NP. They did a really good job showing off the games without being too preachy via reviews or whatever. Although they did try that a couple times during my subscription run (91-96) and it didn't go over well with readers.

Speaking of which, NP and Lone Wolf gamebooks were the only things I read for pleasure during middle school. Never been much of a reader, even though I like RPGs (and reading internet forums about games). It's a bit of a curse.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Between the Disney, D&D, and Marvel licenses (which they all knocked out of the park), Capcom set the bar pretty high and I doubt many could match them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Hm yeah I guess PVMs wouldn't have stereo audio inputs, never thought of that. Hopefully your final setup includes audio going to a receiver or something.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:worship:

Can I come over and play shmups with you? I'll bring my own yen.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Oof, that's far. I'm in Virginia. Someday I'd like to visit Big Cat Rescue and Busch Gardens in Tampa, I'll keep you in mind in the unlikely event that happens for me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

There's no tate option for Saturn Arrange Mode so that might be a better option if you can't tate for whatever reason. I imagine this mode was re-worked to account for the lack of screen space, but I'm not sure, and it's been 10+ years since I've played it. Plus it has two extra stages, and they're kind of hilarious.

FWIW I don't really care for this game aside from a quick credit-feed to see all the levels, which are pretty creative/wacky. It was probably my only disappointing Saturn shmup purchase (although Sokyugurentai comes close to being in that category).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Due to every page having comments that "<x platform>'s games are too expensive" and "how are the quality of repro carts?", might be worth highlighting somewhere in the thread title or OP that hey, there are these cool things called flash carts and you should buy one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

new PCB day :toot:

it's on the supergun instead of in the cab because it rotates opposite most other games and there's no screen flip dip switch. somebody has made a patch though so I just need to get the proper eprom and burn it

I wonder how easy it is to rotate the monitors in cocktail cabinets. From what I gather, most vertically-oriented Japanese games were meant to be played in cocktails over there up until candy cabs took over as the standard (the early 90s?). I'm guessing that also explains the lack of screen flip switch as player 1 can just sit on whatever side of the table.

e: why would you rotate the monitor in a cocktail when you can just flip the table around? Me lose brain, uh oh

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 18, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ok, that's kind of adorable. The metal legs/feet look similar to what they used for cocktails. Imagine playing Star Force on one of those when it was brand new. :allears:

quote:

e: and candy cabs really took over around the late 80's around the time sega's "city" came out

On youtube, I saw this Japanese promotional video for Daisenpuu (aka Twin Hawk, the Toaplan shmup with the helper squadron formation), and the host was playing it on a cocktail. This was 1989. I was surprised because I thought by then cocktails were long dead, so I made the assumption they were still standard in 89.

flyboi posted:

What up fam a package arrived from Japan :cool:

Nice! I would be wary of those arrow-shaped indentations on the d-pad, though. The stock NES controllers have them and they tore up my thumb as a kid. Or maybe I'm just mildly retarded and press too hard.

Also, please give the meowbox some pets for me. The yoscatte thread was asking about her recently, they would appreciate a post. :)

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 19, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

d0s posted:

Sega Aero Table

Jaleco Table Pony

SNK Candy 26

oh my god :swoon:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

First off, thank you for the write-up d0s. You and I seem to share retrogaming sub-interests so all this stuff is awesome and I enjoyed reading.

If I were a smart and capable human, I would want to start a resturant like this because I'm pretty sure it does not exist here. But honestly, unless the control panels are flip-down-able or something, it would be difficult to eat on tables like these.

e: I just remembered Midway made a version of Space Invaders specifically for cocktails, and it's 2p simultaneous - you can either help each other kill the aliens or play it competitively (by shooting the other player :getin:).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare: :randstare:

You can't fool me, that's a loving museum that's just closed for a holiday.

I too, have felt similar joy playing Typing of the Dead. :razz:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

GutBomb posted:

A few years ago I did the same with a fan translation of the super famicom remake of dragon quest 1 & 2. Simple jRPGs with "modern" quality of life stuff like an action button instead of hunting through menus to open doors and go down the stairs. Good stuff! Any recommendations for when I finish PSG1 and 2?

All the rest of the Dragon Quest games. 3 had remakes on both SFC and GBC, the latter of which is really impressive for the hardware. As was the original 4 on FC/NES, and 4-6 have good remakes for DS and mobile.

quote:

Edit: and don't take 100 hours to get through

May want to skip 7 then. Also check out the Lufia SNES games.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

This might be stretching the definition of retro a bit, but I recently unearthed my original Xbox (bought it on a whim ages ago and never touched it). Are there any games I should look out for that are exceptionally good/bad?

Oh hey it's you. I don't read the LP forum much anymore but I liked your TES LPs.

Be sure to check out the Burnout games. Some of the best car racing games of its type. I've never played the Xbox versions but I hear those are the best.

FWIW, you can assume: Current gen - Previous gen - anything older is retro

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm guessing TVs no longer come with VGA inputs?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Maybe someday retrogaming will be popular enough that a company will step up and start manufacturing CRTs again with proper inputs that meet our needs.

:lol:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

And, of course, the end product might just be a piece of crap anyway, so:

sudo rm -rf posted:

we just need fpga-simulated versions of every pre-hd console

Not sure what FPGAs have to do with what I said? They will be nice but they have no effect on input lag, that's why I said CRTs.

I guess if vinyl records can make a resurgence so can analog video someday.

e: FPGAs could mean everything outputs in low-res component or RGB so other inputs would be unnecessary. I guess? Right? Having trouble with reading comprehension again.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 6, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Cloning something like the SNES in an FPGA would mean that SNES games could be output in high-resolution HDMI with no lag.

But console input lag doesn't come from the video output, it comes from the display unit itself (LCD/LED/Plasma/etc vs CRT)? It makes no difference how the signal is transmitted if your HDTV has a slow response time, it's going to be laggy on composite, it's going to be laggy on HDMI. This is why a lot of people prefer to play retro games on a CRT, the nature of the unit is almost entirely latency-free. Either you or I are really confused about how this stuff works.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

So it's me. Ok, so most of the input lag for console HDTVs comes from processing the low-res signal to get it up on the display, not the inheirent response time of a LCD/LED/whatever?

With PC/emulators it's different due to USB polling, how fast the program writes the framebuffer, the speed the OS talks to the video card, plus the display unit response time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

LJN gets a lot of hate here rightfully but it's my guilty pleasure.

Wasn't LJN just a publisher though? I think it's best that kusoge hate is directed towards the people who actually made the game, if it's known. I'm not denying that some publishers had a tendency to publish crap though.