Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After a couple years of off and on reading, I'm finally caught up on this thread.

So of course I bought a Spice GameCube, Spice Gameboy Player, and a GC Loader. I always wanted a Spice and now I'll be cool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just so I'm clear, there's not much need for SD2SP on GameCube now if you have a GC Loader with the 2.0 firmware? Also, is there a list of games that have compatibility issues with GC Loader? I've read that some games with streaming audio can't use the virtual game saves of Swiss so I guess I need to get a regular memory card too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Oh I had no idea. Are there any notable debug games?

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I never played any Sierra style games as a kid so without any nostalgia I can say this rules.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are my controller options for playing GB/GBC/GBA games on a Game Boy Player? If there's a way to use my 8Bitdo M30 that would be ideal but I imagine that's hard to do. The GC controller is bad for it and I don't want to get a GBA just to use as a controller.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

-Thermal pads replaced with Noctua thermal paste; the heat sink doesn't lie flush against the chips so I added extra paste and it seems fine? Temperatures were holding around 38 C, have to check after running a game for a while.

-GC Loader PNP installed with the mounting kit, SD2SP2, and a small cleanup. Waiting on some supplies to do a real deep clean some day, lots of tobacco dust in places.

Only regret is that I should've gone for Diamond Green instead of Dark Green for the mount, oh well.

Next up is a component cable in April, hopefully a RetroTink5x before then, and customizing my Wavebird.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Manky posted:

I didn't see it until I looked for further context, but I see one of the worse retro gaming twitter people (who's also a mod of the biggest classic gaming discord) was encouraging people to hit krikzz support for returns or exchanges on their everdrives if they didn't work with the Pocket. Gross. https://twitter.com/qwertymodo/status/1480489024833785856

Did you link the wrong tweet?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was always a bigger fan of R.P.M. Racing. Radical Psycho Machine Racing had a track editor, even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAtAef_h7q4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't give Blizzard any money. Buy it used if you really want it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just got this in the mail today

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has but overall it's pretty nice, quite a bit nicer than my Street Fighter 2 one at least. The most surprising thing is how flawless the emulation is. Even on my 4.0ghz i7 in my mame cabinet I get this weird audio lag when a fight starts in KI and says "fight on" after the animation intro. This glitch or lag effect is completely gone in the arcade1up one. I would love to know what kind of cpu they were using.

The online play seems pretty great so far and the crt effects on this are also really really good. And I usually leave those off.

Also there's a USB port and micro SD card slot on this thing so I'm guessing it's just asking to be hacked.

Intensely curious how big your mailbox is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Keito posted:

The reddit emulation board RA hate squad is out in full force I see.

Are you implying that all these people talking about abuse and harassment are lying for attention?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Keito posted:

I don't know if they're actively lying or just misremembering and confluating different events, but it was for instance Kiwifarms that bullied Near to death, not the RetroArch developers. The RA lead has large anger management issues and is an absolute master of burning bridges with other developers, and mudlord is suffering from serious mental health issues, but for the most part yeah the Twitter response pasted ITT to me reads rather hyperbolic and consists of the usual anti RetroArch cronies I've come to expect seeing fall over themselves to poo poo on RA and its developers all over the web.

https://twitter.com/pgandlabs/status/1421190922499497985?t=guDD-T0ASMgpwLfobd89Zw&s=19

Sounds like it wasn't just KF. Unless those leaks are made up or misremembered, as you seem to think they all are.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dismissing years of abuse and harassment as "liars" or "misremembered" or "laymen who don't understand X" is just as harmful as those who do the harassing. That just enables further abuse and it's pretty disgusting.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

So, how good is BizHawk? Does it replace RA in most scenarios?

I use it for GBA/GB/SNES/TG-16/basically anything. It's pretty nice, has a lot of features I don't use.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Note I said almost a given, I've still got a soft spot for Gundam Battle Assault 2

God I wish we could get a DBFZ level sequel to this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Questions about using the Wii U and RetroTink 5x Pro ahead.

Do the non-1080p Wii U games get much benefit from the tink? My tv is only 1080p and my 1440p monitor does not like direct input from the RT. I only have HDMI for it, unless the Wii composite cables work.

Is there a way to play the Wii games at native resolution, without the Wii U upscaling, so that the RT can do the work?

I do still have an actual Wii but if I can play them on the Wii U natively, that's less consoles hooked up. Looking to get the HD RetroVision component cables if it's worth it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It should take the wii composite cable. The tink can only do so much with a composite signal but it should be enough for testing.

Further research seems to be that vWii mode is much worse quality than an actual Wii, even if running vWii at 480p. Went ahead and ordered the HDR component cables anyway, so I'll test with the only Wii game I still own but haven't played, Other M.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Reported for self-harm.

I only still have it because a friend gifted it to me like twelve years ago. I can guarantee I won't be playing it for fun, I didn't even like Dread.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

If anyone likes gaming in the low framerates (N64 anyone?), Mike Chi just posted a new experimental firmware that does up to 4K 24fps.

Absolute madman.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If the WiiU is modded is there any way to fix this?

Also what causes the shittier image quality?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-vwii-mode.573265/

This was the main thread I found about it.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1361158&sid=26f7aeea48206157057efc9b450128d7#p1361158

There was also this link to a "fix" that I have no idea how to actually implement or anything, or if it's even relevant to the Wii in general instead of specifically to patching games.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

This comparison of MSX/MSX2 games with their Famicom counterparts is what got my attention. Kind of fun how the trade off for the extra color or two in the MSX2 versions is terrible scrolling and light to heavy slowdown.

I thought to myself, I love these kind of game comparisons, I'm sure it's not THAT bad.

It's really that bad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I asked in the Discord (in the wrong channel..) so I'll ask here for more opinions. What are the gold standards for capture cards? I use a RetroTink so something that takes HDMI is pretty important. Is there one that's sub-$100? I don't need it to be like 1:1 quality though it would be nice if it was.

I'm currently running some $35 abomination that ruins the output, or I'm just not configuring OBS properly to accept the USB video.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

People really seem to like Elgato, but even the cheap USB plug-ins do a really good job these days. I've got a lot of capture devices sitting around that I've experimented with and at the moment I'm using an $11 USB plug-in. These a lot of these no-name devices and they probably all come out of the same factory in Shenzhen . It's not perfect, in fact I'm ordering something a bit stronger tomorrow since I think the audio capture could be better, but it's definitely a "Yeah, that's good enough". I did have a little bit of trouble getting it recognized in OBS, but a solution wasn't hard to find (the solution was being up to date, IIRC).

If you like, I'll post a link to a video where I'm upscaling via RetroTink and capturing using this device (might as well be my video on Jesus :v:).

That would be great because I'm starting to think I just have bad settings somewhere. I have the HDMI out of the RT going to the input of the capture device, and the output of that device going to my TV. There is a HUGE quality difference. Might just need to restart the computer; upgrading is on the horizon as well because I'm over six years out on my motherboard and CPU.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Okay then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36sBuVQkyUs

This is a standard composite signal into a Retrotink 5x then to a no-name USB based capture dongle. I split the signal before the Retrotink for my CRT.

Edit: Just want to point out that this does go through four layers of re-encoding before it reaches your screen between the capture, the raw footage to edit, the edited footage, and then YouTube doing its thing.

Alas, the video is private instead of unlisted.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Yeah, it’s running the latest 3.1 firmware but they have their own updater for it which, uh, has some problems. I had to go through 3 USB-C cables before the software recognized the dongle.

My current plan is to run it through a Portta HDMI->component converter to get it into the Retrotink. It’s currently what everyone in the RT discord is doing and i gave into peer pressure. Perks include better image processing and 9x GBA mode :mrgw:

I think I'm going to do this too, people keep mentioning that the HD RetroVision cables coming in April are going to be bad or at least not as good as the dongle anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Humphreys posted:

Woohoo! Finally cut through the scene bullshit and a french video which I didn't understand was the clearest way to get Free MC Boot working on the PSX-DVR (DESR7000)

Now all attempts at language patching are failing... because of course.

Should've gotten a Oui.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The worst thing about the 32x is it didn’t live long enough for developers to learn how to really push it

That being said, it’s version of Virtua Racing was essentially definitive for a very long time, and still has some content that is exclusive to 32x. Star Wars is good and unique, kolibri, Tempo, Knuckles Chaotix, Starbase, Virtua Fighter, shadow squadron, space harrier, doom (especially the recently released improvement mods), afterburner, darxide and metal head are worth experiencing as they are either fairly unique on the 32x, or exclusive to it.

Weren't all the launch titles barely enhanced, because no one knew how to program for the thing properly by the time it launched?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I get something like j Downloader that lets me queue up all the games I want from archive.org and it gets them all in order.

As mentioned, the torrents are auto generated and almost always incomplete.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Everyone kept recommending those ifixit kits and the Saturn was the first thing I tried to open up with it and it is indeed too fat to fit into some of the holes :negative:

Willo567 posted:

Is it just me, or are the scews in the Saturn hard to get out? I was able to get the two screws on the back of the system near the battery cover, but I can't get the other three screws that are deep in the system. I'm using one of those iFixIt screw drivers - is that not deep enough?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E16J6RQ/

This is the set I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T7L9Z58/

I originally ordered this kit but it also has the problem of the shaft not fitting in the hole. The tweezers/spudgers/brush are nice though. I haven't tried opening a Saturn but the GC screws are pretty deep.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Why, yes, I am a bad enough dude to rescue the president.

That looks like if someone who had seen an American flag once, twenty years ago, was tasked with making one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The most interesting thing there is the voice synthesis module, though it's not crazy rare. I've never seen any of the iMagic Intellivision games and apparently Dracula is a bit rare. Beyond that, it looks like a pretty solid lot of Intellivision stuff that isn't going to set the world on fire but he'll probably enjoy them. Astrosmash is probably my favorite game on the system, too.

My buddy got one of those recently, though he doesn't have a game that can use it yet. They're uh... kinda simple.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Resident Evil 2 on N64 was a technological marvel that gave access to a good game to many people who never had a PlayStation until much later in life, me included.

It's probably 4th or 5th on the list of versions I'd play.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to post some pictures from the walkthrough portion of an official strategy guide and I want you to guess what game they're for:

The whole thing is written as a travel guide and uses photographs instead of screenshots. :psyduck:

They really refined this for the EarthBound guide, which had a ton of "travel brochure" stuff.

Commander Keene posted:

The Pro 2 that I have definitely does, my M30 less so. I think it's a problem largely confined to their older controllers from before Nintendo's original D-Pad design went out of patent and became public domain?

If I could have the M30 D-pad on my Pro 2 I would be very happy. Love that D-pad but it doesn't have enough buttons for most modern stuff and is kinda awkward to use for some other systems.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqUsmONzzI

Six or seven year old me player this once on my dad's Commodore and the screams scared me shitless. Absolutely terrifying to a child.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there an idiot's guide to setting up MAME? I've tried a couple times years ago and it always felt a little complicated getting it to run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Apparently not learning from the mistakes that the NES made, there was a Super Famicom tarot card game cart.

Also, it was released on the Bandai Pippin.

So Super Famidaily is next is what I'm hearing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/5cxGwV5.mp4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

holefoods posted:

The Wii is so great, it’s the best thing Nintendo did since the NES, IMO. There’s absolutely an insane amount of shovelware but I think it has the most well rounded library of any of their more recent systems (I don’t have a Switch and don’t know much about it).

The Switch has its own library and also 90% of the Wii U's library.

If you want experiences instead of just games, I recommend picking up the Wii version of Dead Rising to marvel at just how bad it is by comparison. It's like buying the NES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters instead of SNES.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a way to reduce the incredibly high contrast/over saturation of GBA games, through GBI? Or is it just baked into the games? Some of them are fine but others are definitely washed out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

getting the snes with smw, a scope and a tv on my 7th birthday was probably my finest moment in gaming

At 10 I only got the SNES with SMW pack-in but I was allowed to rent Turtles in Time; it was unheard of to be allowed to rent a game on a Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got Mario 64 months before I got the actual console. I think I frayed the continuously read manual by the time I got the console.

I got an N64 for Christmas but my parents forgot to get an RF adapter because that's all the TVs had and the 64 only came with composite. I read the manuals and played with the controller, imagining.