Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ineffiable posted:

Was there a conclusion to that debate about flash carts hurting the consoles through too much voltage or something?

I don't think I've heard of anyone blowing up their consoles, but one good conclusion is Krikzz beginning to include proper voltage translation on new boards and revisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks for the pro clicks!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

SCARTdad is a good dad

Wanna meet that dad.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Part of it was probably backwards compatibility with the Master System and its cabling. Otherwise, RF, composite, and mono was what most people had at the time, I think.

E: fb

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Might've been a way to enjoy stereo sound without having to invest in a better TV. I know I would have loved to have a model 1 for that reason when I was a kid.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The plastic is melted right? Seems like some nasty solvent got on it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mookster posted:

An old acquaintance of mine just posted on Facebook that he did a 100% accurate port of the original Donkey Kong on NES. I never did play that much DK so I cannot verify it myself but I thought some of you might find it interresting: https://youtu.be/dhRoe44Dg54

That's pretty cool. Is there a write-up somewhere about how he did it?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mookster posted:

Not that I know of... Only that he mentions in the video that he based it on the NES version and patched in part of the code from the arcade version that was missing - but in a language the NES would understand.

Haha, my bad. I pulled it up on mute. I'll re-watch later.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*audiophile forums voice*

Well actually that allows electrons which are not aligned with the overall flow to fly off into the atmosphere, rather than staying in the cable and tainting the signal. This results in a warmer, crisper, image that has notably better eyefeel.

:rgb: :rgb: :rgb:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

RodShaft posted:

I am by no means an electrical genius, but in my opinion there is no additional risk in using one of the "dangerous" everdrives. The guy that wrote that article just doesn't like the component krizzz used to drop the voltage from 5v for use with 3.3v flash memory because that isn't its intended use, just like a side effect. On paper krizzz's way drops the voltage from 5v to 3.75v. The real world is not that perfect and the actual voltage would end up slightly less. On top of that the 3.3v flash memory used is rated on paper for 3v-3.6v. Its actual real-world normal operating threshold is probably slightly more lenient in both directions.

However multi-carts just jam the 5v into the 3.3v memory and that probably will shorten the life of the multi-cart.

It's not just voltage concerns. He also says the 3V components have internal clamping diodes which would short when too high of a voltage is applied, leading to the potential for console damage because there's too much current.

Krikzz might have curbed this somewhat with his resistors, but it's still potentially too much current and isn't ideal.

I'll continue to use my Everdrives, but I'm keeping an eye out for newer revisions with the proper components.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I know that the hot glue thing was is in jest, but epoxy would work best, I think. I don't think glue will really hold given that the cart shell gets stressed when it's taken in and out of the Game Boy.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If your systems are struggling to read CD-Rs, try switching up the media before adjusting the laser pot. If the laser's degraded, cranking the pot will hasten its eventual failure.

I like CMC Pro. I went from having intermittent issues with a couple of my systems to none when I switched.

They sell via Amazon as well, but http://mediasupply.com seems to take media quality seriously.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Alucardd posted:

It was literally missing ground.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I thought people hated Phil Fish.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Betting on the Saturn one having the relatively new Mednafen emulator, and the Dreamcast one having Reicast.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://twitter.com/ucchii16b/status/950193554223128577

That's a new one to me. Guess it's just a rebranded MultiMega, but kinda neat.

I wonder if Japan still had that tax on audio equipment by the time the Multimega came around. Isn't that why the PCE briefcase is the way it is?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thirded on the PWR+ adapter. The NES also doesn't care whether it's receiving DC or AC, so it's safer to use a DC one. I've heard a lot of horror stories about someone grabbing an AC NES adapter and plugging it into a Genesis/Sega CD and frying it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Did they go with the "City" name because it was a small cabinet form-factor designed to be crammed into urban Japanese arcades, where it can be assumed that floor space was at a premium?

Maybe they assumed there would be "cities" of arcade cabinets. I dunno. I was wondering about that and the term "candy cab," myself.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Best thrift I ever had were two broken Dreamcasts for 5 bucks. Combined them into a working one.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

FYI, the author of Psuedo Saturn Kai is working on re-adding cheat functionality. It seems like he's close to finishing it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A herd of fuckin ugly posts are rushing from the subforum.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is it possible that the Dreamcast's video encoder is just better? I don't ever remember Saturn and Genesis games looking much better than that in composite.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

There's analog to digital, upscaling, and a lot of TVs do additional processing (image filtering, motion interpolation, etc) that you can't fully turn off.

Edit: It's definitely not overblown. Some modern sets add over a frame of latency, which can make twitchy gameplay much harder.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ofecks posted:

Definitely, but get a CoreGrafx, Turbo Everdrive, and one of these.

:getin:

Don't need a Turbo Everdrive with the Super SD System 3. It plays both HuCards and CDs.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For those asking, I have a Gamer's Cartridge and I dig it. Its biggest features are Pseudo Saturn Kai and saving to an SD card. I'm great at losing my saves, so it's a good feature for me. The creator, cafe-alpha, is also working on adding cheat functionality, but it's not finished (per his blog). He's also a super nice guy who values good feedback.

In my experience, the compatibility is very high. The only game I've run into serious problems with is HOTD, which won't start unless you ditch the SD save functionality. Not a big loss for that game.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

I have to disagree here - when I upgraded from my PAL SNES to a US snes model 2 1chip, the difference was like night and day (on my PVM). The old slightly fuzzy picture turned into a lot sharper and vibrant/crisp image. It's a difference you totally can tell.

I don't know for sure, but you might be seeing a difference going from PAL to NTSC. I know PAL has better resolution and everything, but in terms of RGB SNES, the picture quality jump could be more drastic than NTSC to NTSC.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

GutBomb posted:

Today I learned that a homebrewed 3DS plays GBA games natively (an artifact of DS/DSi compatibility) and I no longer need to buy a GBA and flash cart.

Is there a decent guide on how to accomplish this? Since the Wii homebrew scene sunset a while back, I found that there's documentation that is kinda all over the place and not super straightforward.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

The Hyperkin 6 button reproductions are pretty good also, if you have trouble tracking down acceptably priced good condition originals.

Seconding this. I have two that work just fine.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of the N64, how does the OSSC behave when you plug in (via SCART & RGB Mod) a N64 running a high-res game like Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, etc. 240p into 720p is a no brainer, but IIRC anything above that is a little wonky.

No prizes awarded for guessing what device I've been strongly considering these past few weeks.

It's been a while since I've used mine, but I use it with a Saturn that goes between 240p and a high-res interlaced mode. The OSSC handles it well, and iirc, the screen on my TV goes blank for like a second when it switches modes. The OSSC can handle deinterlacing as well.

I wouldn't expect it to have any problems with N64, but I'm sure there's videos/documentation on it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I thought that if the music in the Sonic games was such an issue, they could just replace it with something else. Just like The Offspring and product placements in Crazy Taxi.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Detective No. 27 posted:

There just isn't a way to replace the music in a Sonic game without it being a war crime. The Crazy Taxi ports without Offspring are a shame.

Not securing an ironclad license in the first place was the true crime, imo. The old music is iconic, no doubt, but I'd take new music from a competent composer over no re-releases or remasters ever again.

Edit: To fishmech's point, I'm just saying this, too. I have no idea what the real licensing situation is or whether it actually has any real bearing on Sega's bad decisions. Though we do all know what happened with the Spinball theme song.

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 16, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quick warning about the Super SD System 3: If you order one now, be prepared to wait a very, very long time. Apparently they are sending out a fixed revision in the order that people bought the original, all the way back to day-one buyers. If you order one, you'll be in line behind all of them. On the bright side, they fixed an issue with RGB output quality.

I ordered mine only to have the announcement come out a day or two later, I think. So, I've been waiting since January.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My SD Super System 3 arrived today as well, and I'm pretty impressed with it. It handles all the stuff my Everdrive did, but also handles BIN/CUE and even a mixture of CUE/ISO/WAV. Setup was easy and the output works great. I played through a lot of Chiki Chiki Boys and Air Zonk and it was a seamless experience.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Just a warning about the Everdrive + Sega CD. It will cause certain games to not work right, with Snatcher being the most notable example. If a Sega CD game isn't working right, try it without the Everdrive.

Speaking of which, definitely play Snatcher.

Out of all the FMV games, Road Avenger is my favorite to play. Wirehead is great, too. I like just watching the intro of Sewer Shark sometimes because it's so corny.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Miles McCloud posted:

Heads up to owners of Super SD System 3s, it has been discovered that they have been shipping with a surface mount tantalum capacitor installed backwards on the composite video line.

Ah poo poo. :( That guy really can't catch a break. I wonder if it would "void the warranty" if I were just to flip that cap around the right way.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Naw, they used a datasheet from TI with an error in it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Bonobos posted:

Can anyone with an OSSC chime in on whether the remote is helpful? Looks like the one they are selling is a cheap generic one and I’m trying to decide if a remote is necessary to operating the darn thing vs just controlling it directly.

Also I’m assuming any standard raspberry pi power supply will work with it? I guess they are out of the official recommended ones online, and I’m not sure how long before they are back in stock.

I've found the remote helpful. I haven't bothered to really try to use it without it. There's only two buttons on the OSSC itself and a shitload of configuration options, sooo...

I took a power brick from a USB hub and flipped the tip so it'd be center positive. You'll need 5V and at least 1A.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Thank god it's over

Username/post checks out.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That is one pretty title screen. Why the 32x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The local Barcade in Philly is pretty good imo, though I'm not an arcade snob by any means. The clientele is diverse, and the arcade machines are generally well-maintained. They usually carry a range of machines from early 80s to early 90s. Beer ain't bad either.