Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Not sure if this is really retro yet but I was given a PS3 with a dead disc drive, I think its the one with backwards compatibility, can these things be modded to play games off a hard drive or something? I never really played PS2 so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

hexwren posted:

So, this got lost in the shuffle, I'd appreciate if anyone has any tips:

I'm reassembling my GBA SP with a new case, but I can't sort out how the ribbon connector connects. Disconnecting it was a breeze, but now it won't go in the slot. It's completely intact, not broken or anything, which is good, but I'm pretty close to seeing who repairs systems and having them do it because I'm a giant dumbass.

Hmm did you make sure the tabs on the connector are open? It should go in easily, hardest part is getting it through the hinge mechanism

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Can someone explain what all I need to get a Gameboy player for Gamecube working without the boot disc? I just got one and it's a bit confusing reading

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

worthless. posted:

Uh, I think a mod chip and a copy of the boot disk.

From what I have read I need an SD media launcher but its just called action replay now? And a separate SD memory card thing since the included one doesnt support many cards

Or is the gamecube mod easy to do?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I did it with a hacked wii. You use the wii homebrew app that can write to GC memory cards and install a hacked SSBM save that loads Game Boy Interface.

Oh nice I already have everything I need to do that then

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I just beat Mario 64 for the first time, I liked it a lot at first but playing the same level 6 times got so tedious that As soon as I got to 70 stars I went and beat Bowser. Should I go back and get 120 stars or at least try to play through each level once?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Play the DS version

Explain

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

The DS version has 3 extra characters, more stars (same levels), and a bunch of minigames, a few of which are actually pretty fun.

The graphics also don't look like mud.

Is the camera better? Really hated it on 64. I bought Mario Sunshine too so I think I'm playing it next

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Every 3d Mario game's camera is pretty bad until maybe Odyssey. The Galaxy games are almost ok just because they lock it in place a ton and it still falls apart really badly when you're in the free camera areas.

Hmm this isn't good news I have the Galaxy games on my to do list too

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The camera in the Galaxy games (and 3D World for that matter) is just fine. 3D Land, OTOH, I remember it being more trouble than I'd like.

I 100% cleared 3D land and only remember having a problem with the camera on the last level 8 crown or whatever it was. I beat that level once and was unable to do it again.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

When did repro cartridges go and become a thing? They're all over Ebay now.

I wish Nintendo would sue the gently caress out of ebay because it is ridiculous how they do nothing about it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

moller posted:

That post reminds me - recently in dealing with some estate stuff, I found a plastic crate with a stack of my old n64 boxes in it, complete with manuals, inserts, etc. Most appear essentially brand new.

I have large 8 and 16 bit collections, mostly loose carts, but don't currently own an n64 or any games. If I wanted to get some dosh out of boxes, would the right way to go be buying loose carts and selling them as CIB? Is that somehow dishonest? Would the boxes sell on their own?

I sold all my n64 boxes about 2 years ago and got about $300 for them. I sold the valuable ones individually and then the rest in one bulk auction. I kept all the games.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I bought a 9 inch CRT made for boats and old games look great on it because the screen is so small

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Finally beat Space Station Silicon Valley like 19? years after buying it, for the longest time the 2nd to last level would always freeze and only recently did I learn it was due to the expansion pack. Not sure if the N64 boots with no jumper pak in so I just used a different console with the regular thingy in it, cartridge still had the save file on it from way back in the day. Took around 15 tries to beat that on rails shooter level then the final level was easy as hell. Feels good.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hmm I thought I had 100% completed it, this is annoying, I don't have a gameshark, actually did back in the day but people kept breaking cartridges due to it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Sounds like something that already exists
https://www.retromodding.com/blogs/tutorials/voltage-regulator-connection-guide

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I want to play them on my CRT so the new collection probably won't let me do that. I really just want to play x2 without having to read a guide for the Japanese dialogue or spend over $100 for one game. The rest are all available on ps1 or Saturn but x2 doesn't work on the everdrive or sd2snes and gently caress paying that much for a mega man game.

Play it on 3DS in pixel perfect mode

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The best Xbox game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDqvUpQI_c

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Will that SNES NT or whatever its called play games off SD card? If so will it support games that required special chips?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Just bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color

Anyone have this flash cart for it? http://www.retrohq.co.uk/neogeo-pocket-sd-flash-shipping-next-week

It has a waiting list of 900 people to get one. Is there another one I'm not aware of?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I'm playing Kirbys Dream Land 3 and what is the deal with this helper guy with the long tongue? Am I supposed to have him out, he is annoying. And what does getting the star at the end of each level accomplish in the end?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Because mental illness is a real thing that affects people and not something for you to armchair diagnose people with?

If you can't understand that, fine. But when someone tells you you're being insensitive and you defend the behavior perceived that way rather than just moving on or apologizing, don't be surprised if people see you as being intentionally insensitive.

relax

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

You can't call your weird boss names unless you have a PhD now in 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

DSi is good because it has a real nice matte finish and won't get covered in fingerprints and scratches. The DS lite is crap and the DSi XL is too big

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I can't believe a cheap piece of junk stopped working

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

"$150 range"

Hmm that's a no for me

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I would probably buy that Mega Man 2 for 25 bucks. Lol at $100 though

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I’m gonna play through Mario Sunshine, should I do it on an actual Gamecube or does Wii make the graphics look better?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Whichever gives you the best video connection for the TV you are playing it on.

I’ve been playing it here and there since getting my Eon hdmi adapter and it is probably the most frustrating Mario game I have played (haven’t played Galaxy, so not sure about the wiimote controls). The camera auto adjusting as I try to platform is a pain. I had to stop playing it in front of my kids to avoid letting choice words out in front of them. Even when I censored myself, hearing my 3 year old repeat “stupid Mario” as she played with her amiibo made me say no more.

Maybe i'll just play it on dolphin and abuse save states, I hate playing the same section repeatedly

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Will 3d printing ever progress to where it doesn't look so bad

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Boomer parents that called NES games "tapes"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Are there any NES games that make an NES Advantage joystick worth keeping around?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

I also don't get why people would want repros, especially now that SD2SNES supports Super FX for stuff like Starfox 2.
If you want to display something on a shelf and don't want to fork out the money for the real thing, maybe do some high quality custom cases or something just to line a shelf with.

Does it fully support everything now? Like could I play Kirbys Dreamland 3 on it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Why do modern systems have such insane input lag?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Phantasium posted:

He only worked on the first MM Legacy Collection. Not collection 2 or either of the MMX collections.

The Mega Man Legacy collection on 3DS was pure poo poo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Bonobos posted:

What’s a good price for a 1354Q pvm these days? I can get one for $100 (down from $250) here in LA, but I’m worried that 13inches may be too small to enjoy.

Anything to look out for with this model? Or probably best to hold out for an rgb 20inch model?

I got a 9 inch trinitron and it owns

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Why is the PSP go so expensive now? I got one new in box for $40 a couple years ago

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Null of Undefined posted:

What thread do you think you’re in?

You just inspired to to check for PVMs on eBay and I just bought an 8 inch one. PVM-804IQ.

I’ve wanted a little one for a long time for my workstation and I guess now I’ll have one.

Shipping from Tennessee

You are going to love it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Rising demand and limited supply?

Some concrete thinking on display here. Perhaps you could read into my question as what spiked the demand all of a sudden to cause a tripling of the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Doc M posted:

The PSP is the only way to play downloaded PSone Classics on the big screen at the original 240p resolution (well, there might be a PS3 homebrew method I'm not aware of), and the PSP Go happens to be the only model of the PSP that supports PS3 controllers.

Do you need a PSP Go cradle for this? Looks like they are $100+ now