Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah people say about the bubble bursting but really I see more that prices will dip/correct itself and level out. We won't go back to sub $500 little Samson or $50 earthbound like ten years ago. Every generation that grows up has lesser people that actually might be interested in physical retro stuff. There's gonna be a breaking point between these high prices and what people really want to spend on this hobby.

Prices are so high these days I would only have to sell like 5-10% of my collection to afford flash carts. I only want a nes/snes flash cart and a Sega saturn flash drive replacement. It gets more tempting every month and next year maybe I'll just buckle down, figure out what I would miss the least about my collection and get those flash carts.

Was there a conclusion to that debate about flash carts hurting the consoles through too much voltage or something?

Note that the Xbox one does play a large portion of Xbox 360 games (more than half if I remember right) and supports all installs to an external drive. Might be worth investing in a used Xbox one s. Gives you a 4k Blu Ray player, and access to rare replay and a large Xbox 360 library. They're also working on original Xbox og compatiblility.

Except I have a perfectly functional X360, and zero interest in any XBOne exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Well yes of course more popular games are more common but I'm surprised at how few games you have that would work. Xbox og bc on Xbox 360 is more buggy than 360 on one so don't take it as an example of what the one is like playing 360 games. Did you consult their list lately? They literally update it with nearly 2-4 games every week. A week or two ago they got fable pub games working. They even have Japanese shmups like bullet soul running so they're not ignoring those as well.

And the real value is their promise that every title they have working will be forward compatible with every future Xbox. And a lot of them run much smoother on Xbox one. Reports indicate they'll look better on the Xbox one x, which will be on sale in a few years for less than $200.

Nothing wrong with keeping a 360 right now and playing everything on it but it's worth keeping an eye on Xbox one and its BC to see how it looks in the end. At the very least it actually will keep Xbox 360 disc prices lower as practically every game that's backwards compatible is actually available for sale digitally.

You can get an X360 for even cheaper than that and actually have compatibility with the full library.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TVs Ian posted:

Analogue is coming out with a modern SNES.

I've got a devil on my shoulder trying to convince me to buy one of these + an SD2SNES to go with my real cartridges.

It's either a cheap emulation box for the internals, and/or Nintendo is going to sue them into oblivion :eyepop:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just use an SFC cart shell my dude

Will then work on American SNES systems as well

Do those converters even work with Star Fox and Super Mario RPG?

I think someone makes a SuperFX version out of gutted Stunt Race FX carts, don't they?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaz2k21 posted:

Where would one acquire these??? I was of the understanding that new controllers were all 3rd party and a bit poo poo.

I want 3 for mario kart parties

I also need to know this right the gently caress now :f5:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

Nowadays when 90s arcade games show up in compilations they are emulated but when did that start? PS2 era or PS3? I was playing Street Fighter collection and Samurai Shodown (it took me until yesterday to realize it's not Samurai Showdown) 1&2 on the PS1 last night and it was probably the best experience outside of an arcade I've ever had playing those games. I'm assuming that since the PS1 is so weak that they were native PS1 games. When did arcade ports stop and arcade emulation start?

PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

falz posted:

And Dreamcast (same generation). See the MVS ports like last blade 2, mark of the wolves, etc. Many have a secret button combo to boot in to 240p even.

Those should be native code due to the NAOMI hardware, surely?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Went to PAX-AUS on Saturday and took a couple of pictures of some of the neat poo poo they had in the retro games area.

Gotta love a good Mega Drive tower :allears:. I forgot to grab a proper photo of the Dreamcast stuff on the next shelf down though; It was all signed, including that copy of Power Stone 2.

Did someone say consolized MVS? Because there's an MVS console.

I've never even heard of an Atari XE before, but here's one with a lot of games complete in-box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

It was a consolized version of Atari's 8-bit computer family.

They also had this in their little glass gallery, which made me chuckle:

EDIT:

Ahh, it was the Shenmues I was thinking of that were signed :cripes:.

Did you compete in the Power Stone 2 tournament?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

I was a homeless teenager in the days of the saturn/ps1/n64 so it's the one generation of console I've got no nostalgia for since I wasn't really exposed to much. Eventually when I got back on my feet in like, 98 the Playstation was still big and I got into it. I've played some N64 since and was generally unimpressed and the biggest impression I get from that whole era is "the hardware wasn't ready for 3D yet but gently caress it let's do it anyway and make everything look like poo poo"

Sega didn't help that impression with holding back a lot of the good Saturn 2D games from North America so it wasn't even until earlier this year that I even realized that in Japan the saturn was known as THE system for arcade ports and so many people on youtube don't even talk about the saturn that I'm only just now being exposed to it by watching old episodes of game sack, and they seem to really like the arcade ports?

I don't have one yet but I've been planning on getting one. Is the general consensus that the Saturn's arcade ports are poo poo, or is that just one poster with bad opinions?

If you're after arcade games, have you considered a Dreamcast?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Retrogames.co.uk has gotten one of what's apparently the rarest N64 controller instock; The Red Korean Comboy. For the low-low price of about $260USD. :retrogames:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I knew there was a red Char Anzable (Gundam character) themed Gamecube. I knew there was an even more rare color-matched Game Boy Player to put under it. I did NOT know that there was a loving matching Wavebird that only 1000 of exist and had some wonky requirements to receive. :psyduck:

There's a few listings on eBay for them. For about $500USD.

For $350-odd you can get a Club Nintendo one though :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WrathOfBlade posted:

I sopped up the puddle pretty much immediately but I did have the presence of mind to take a picture of the sticky, corroded underside (+ bonus neon-blue paper towel soaked with Nintendoplasm)

I know what's happened here; The runed chalice holding the tortured fetus at the heart of your Gamecube has cracked or shattered, spilling its life-maintaining neoplasma and allowing the poor damned soul to escape its damned existence through the peaceful bliss of oblivion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Even then it's not "lag" so much as the signal being distorted to the point of being unrecognizable by the console some of the time.

Now, if you had 75000km long extension cord you'd actually notice lag, but then people get annoyed that you're using their space elevator as a controller extension cable and frankly it's not worth the hassle.

Look at this loving amateur that isn't using fibre cable and soldered SFP's for their orbital SNES controller extension :rolleyes:. How else are you going to beat Contra III via video relay huh? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

Went to gamestop with a friend for the free 360. We were there right at opening there was a huge line but everyone was getting modern game systems. Got to the register and they told him they were sold out. The place usually has a pallet size stack taller than me. Did they just hide them? Why?Did they get shipped to other stores in the past week? What happened to them?

X360 games are readily available still, and Microsoft's been banking on selling XBones with "It plays your X360 games!". So of course people are just gonna grab the free X360's and buy the games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know why the local Cash Converters in Melbourne suddenly have an influx of US N64 games, but I'd really like whoever's selling them to stop loving getting my hopes up right before spotting that pesky USA label :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which one? I'm always on the look out for NTSC US games in this country.

The one near the Queen Vic Market.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Haha! Goddamn, what in the ever loving christ were they thinking.

I wonder how much that stupid paint tin costs on ebay these days. Probably a lot because there are even worse people than me out there.

It's not the weirdest thing sold in a paint tin here in Australia. You can get a paint tin full of Jelly Beans as a promotional thing for buying paint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

idk if you guys in australia already know this but one of your countrymen seems to be setting up a really sweet arcade and I am pretty jealous: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36853

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Link leads to a login page for me.

Ditto. Quote the post, or at least tell us where it is/will be.

PleasebeMelbournepleasebeMelbournepleasebeMelbourne :pray:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Argh, loving Brisbane. Real cool, though.

It'll probably last until the next good hurricane at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rez has been completely and thoroughly obsoleted by Rez Infinite.

Buddy, if you're trying to make sound arguements about purchases you came to the wrong thread.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Have you considered getting him a SNES Classic?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Treasure exists as a company and their president has promised to show something next year, but pretty much everyone else who worked on their classic library left years ago and is working elsewhere.

iirc, Treasure's always been more like a collective game jam than a proper company hasn't it? They just kinda come and go from the company as they have ideas for titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

ScummVM 2.0 is out. It adds support for the following:

Cranston Manor
Full Pipe
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
King's Quest VII
King's Questions
Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
Leisure Suit Larry 7
Lighthouse
Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
Police Quest 4
RAMA
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Shivers
Space Quest 6
Starship Titanic
The Dark Crystal
Time Zone
Torin's Passage
Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

Sweet loving Jesus, someone else remembers that RAMA exists and put effort into making it work in SCUMMVM. I don't know if I'm supposed to seek them out in some kind of spirit of community or to kill them to keep others from discovering the game's existence :ohdear:.

I don't even know how I came to own a physical copy of it, I suspect its just a single cursed copy in existence that passes from owner to owner via dark magicks when they die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quiet Feet posted:

My father got me the original GC Windwaker for Christmas. :woop:

Playing through BotW right now and not sure if I want to do WW next or a playthrough of the original LoZ 2nd quest after.

But did he get you the version with Ocarina of Time and Master Quest on a second disk? :smuggo:.

Seriously though, that's a pretty awesome gift.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turbinosamente posted:

What are everyone's collecting goals/resolutions for the New Year? I'm asking just because I want to hear about something more interesting than mine which is to stop buying games and actually play and beat some of these fuckers. Holy grail games are excepted to this of course, and the last few PlayStation light gun games I need.

I actually just scored one of mine on eBay, but it wasn't a game. Managed to get a Starlight Gold Gamecube controller for less than 200-goddamn-dollars Australian :retrogames:.

it was $100AUD, which is about as good a price as you'll ever see for one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Someone is selling this on the Aussie Arcade forums for 300$

That's a pretty drat good price :eyepop:.

The Starlight Gold GCN controllers are one of those limited-run Japan-only things, so they pop up infrequently and are always expensive. Netting one for only $100 is an absolute bargain compared to the usual prices of $150-$200AUD.

Speaking of rare GCN controllers, I also saw that someone is auctioning one of the Char Red GCN controllers on eBay with a current bid of only $56USD and two days remaining. If anyone wants that, they might well manage to swing it for lower than the usual going rate of their firstborn child a kidney $300-400AUD even after however high that climbs at the last minute.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 29, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

Find a way to get interested in the N64 because it's the only major console I don't have and never really got into.

Rogue Squadron
Mischief Makers
Battle for Naboo
Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
Pokemon Stadium 1&2
Mario Kart 64
Mario Part 2&3 (MP1 if you want to gently caress up your controller sticks and give your palms stigmata)
Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer
Super Smash Bros
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got a technical question regarding gamecube controllers; Is there a set of instructions anywhere for safely opening/removing the plastic cover on the controller port at the far end of the cable without destroying it?

Got my Starlight Gold controller and while it's a little rough on the paintwork in places, the metal parts of the socket have spots of rust on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

You can't because the way they seal that kind of molded plastic at the factory. The best you can hope for is switching pcbs or cables with another.

Thought as much. Looks like it's just gonna have to have a black-tipped cable once I get a cheap controller to kill for parts (the thumbsticks are not pretty either).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

The Dreamcast controller is almost good, if only it wasn't made out of hard plastic everywhere. I don't think I've had a controller that's had a less comfortable stick and buttons.

Do you really need the thumbprint on your left thumb?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

Hey remember early PS2 games and how the games with free camera inverted both axes and didn't offer an option to fix it?

How about GTA3 and Vice City, where so much as touching the right thumbstick put you into first-person mode?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So this is the GCN controller I bought (photos are from the eBay listing)

I actually missed how lovely the port tip looked when I ordered it, but caveat emptor and all. Just gonna get a black GCN controller to gut for parts and replace it, unless someone has any clever ideas to remove the corrosion?

The scratches I knew about, and they're not too bad. Anyone got any recommendations for a hobby paint I might be able to brush over that with? Not a spraypaint if possible though, as I have nowhere to do that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Big Word posted:

Points in DKR's favour:
- hub world was pretty cool
- unlockable characters were pretty cool
- characters were fully modeled
- power up upgrade system was a nice idea
- lots o tracks
- planes

Points against:
- actual racing didn't feel great, especially compared directly against mario kart
- art style was ehhhhh
- power ups were all boring
- none of the tracks really stood out from any of the others
- that incredibly awful thing where you have to save the dinosaur eggs. gently caress

I love DKR, but I'm now going to say the three words that'll make you want to punch a hole in something. Or possibly take a life;

Are you sitting away from anything breakable?

Are you sure?

Okay...Silver Coin Challenge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

Is that zero a mistake or are lynx games just really expensive? (idk much about lynx)

Cash Converters generally goes by eBay pricing, or at least whatever looks profitable via a quick Google search.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Can't you do TV out on a 2000 or 3000?

You can indeed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have that same problem but with N64 controllers. I’m the Indiana Jones of finding a good reliable N64 analog stick.

Just don't go near the golden idol controllers until I get around to getting one :toughguy:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

They did it for Jaguar as well but then the fake new console drama happened and those molds are probably lost forever now

Not so long as dentists need dental cameras.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

They had sold the mold off and it went to the retro cvs or whatever that dumpster fire was.

He did a run of molds on kickstarter once and now they’re ???

Well fine, ruin my joke with petty things like facts. See if I care :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TeaJay posted:

Is Grandia 2 actually a good game? I have it on Dreamcast but havent played more than 10 minutes in because surprise, I was incredibly annoyed by the main guy's spunky and radical voice acting.

Yes, Grandia 2 is actually a very good game.