Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

From the last thread:

The Kins posted:

What are some cool Sega CD games that aren't Sonic or SNATCHER?
Earthworm Jim: SE, Final Fight CD, Flink, Shining Force CD, Lunar, Lunar 2, Popful Mail, various other Genesis-to-Sega-CD-but-now-it-has-redbook-audio-or-more-stages conversions - the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Using a SCD2 with a model 1 is war crime.
No, that's using a SCD1 with a Model 2.

Like, the SCD2 works fine with the Model 1 (especially if you have the extender), but the Model 2 doesn't even sit correctly on the SCD1; it doesn't sit correctly on the unit (or something? I just remember being warned away from it on GameTrog when I was looking into getting a Sega CD for my Model 1).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unrelated, but I just realized I used "it doesn't sit correctly" twice in a row because I changed the second one from "the connector bends due to gravity or something", and didn't proofread my post before submitting.

I hate it when I do that...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Is the camera better? Really hated it on 64. I bought Mario Sunshine too so I think I'm playing it next
It has Ocarina of Time's "snap the camera behind your back" button, which I found helped lining up jumps quite a bit (just press up against a parallel wall, hit the button, and tada, your jump is now lined up to be left/right).

The downside is that the controls are otherwise entirely digital - the original DS didn't have an analog stick, and while it offered some touchscreen workaround, I don't think I can recommend it (having never tried it). Also the non-OoT-snap-behind-back camera controls are all touch screen buttons; YMMV on how big a deal that is.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always thought Gods looked like it'd be fun, if super slow and clunky. Never played it to confirm, though, and I also suspect that the fun would last a level or two before things got kinda bullshit - that is the usual contemporary Euro-platformer way, after all.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

GutBomb posted:

Any reason not to get a japanese Saturn (other than waiting for it to arrive) since I''ll be using a pseudo saturn?
Well, some games base their displayed language based on the region of the console (I have an NTSC-U copy of Die Hard Arcade, but the "PUNCH"/"KICK"/"BLOCK" QTE prompts come up in katakana if I play it on my white NTSC-J Saturn instead of my black NTSC-U one), so there's that. Also, this one's highly subjective, I prefer the more muted NTSC-U/PAL boot-up jingle to the harsher horn chords/choir from the NTSC-J console, though I'd be lying if I said either one was bad.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

This is incredibly wrong, wow. Also the other reason is that the actual menu noises on the US saturn are horrible high pitched squeaking, instead of regular noises like the Japanese bios has.
Pretty sure the only one wrong here is you. :colbert:

But really, silly childish responses aside, there's literally nothing factually wrong with the statement I made vis-à-vis Die Hard Arcade - that really was giving me katakana prompts when I used it on my white Saturn, despite being the US version of the game. The other sentence in my post was explicitly noted to be subjective so I'm not gonna get in an argument over it, because that's stupid. I will get in an argument, however, about the assertion you made afterward about the western menu noises being worse than the Japanese ones, on the grounds that they're nigh identical. The only difference I can think of is that the "CD is not suitable for this system" noise, which is some chimes in the Western BIOS but a little jingle in the Japanese one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I like Magic Carpet, though a lot of that is the nostalgia of watching my Dad play the PC version a lot. Nevertheless, I still have fun playing it from time to time. It's a rather unique experience; not really anything else on the market like it.

That said, I don't like the PC version that much. Like, it's ostensibly the best version, but they never capped the framerate and also tied game logic to the framerate at the same time, so the game speed will vary dramatically. As such, I'd actually say the PS1 and Saturn versions are still worthwhile, just for not having that problem, even though neither has 640x480 support, and the performance on the Saturn version is... not great, to be honest, but it's 3D on the Saturn, so I guess that was to be expected. (Though the Saturn's skies are accurate to the PC version, while the PS1 gets psychedelic gradients instead, for some reason.)

At least Magic Carpet 2 fixed those timing issues. Shame it also introduced tons of random game-crashing bugs...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Only Shallow posted:

I guess Panzer Dragoon Saga probably is too but I will never own that game :(
I own Saga! It has three of the discs in these black paper sleeves, shaped sort of like the disc trays you see there for Fahrenheit. They slot on the four notches in the longbox just over the disc that actually sits in the case itself.

I've heard some copies of the game have white sleeves instead of black, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Huh, now I'm wondering if those cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers I bought for my older Windows 98 computer, complete with a used CRT monitor, were really a good idea.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Lately, I've been thinking about collecting Game Boy puzzle games just because they're usually good for a few minutes of chilling. Plus there's got to be some fun overlooked gems buried in there. I remember hearing that Harmony was pretty good when it was a PC game but I never got around to playing it. Maybe I'll give the GB version a try.
If Jeremy Parish's Game Boy Works series is anything to go by, you're gonna need a lot more storage space.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My Albert Odyssey experience is limited to seeing a CIB copy at MAGfest for like $120 and balking at the price. Apparently it wasn't inaccurate, though, and it probably goes for much more now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

No BreakThru on that NES cart :(
No Karnov, either.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dishwasherlove posted:

Americans just can't parse poorly written Scottish accents, and I can't blame them.
Joseph from Wuthering Heights is friggin' hell to read, I tell you what. I don't care that he has a Yorkshire accent, not a Scottish one, we're talking about dialog like

quote:

'"T' maister nobbut just buried, and Sabbath not o'ered, und t' sound o' t' gospel still i' yer lugs, and ye darr be laiking! Shame on ye! sit ye down, ill childer! there's good books eneugh if ye'll read 'em: sit ye down, and think o' yer sowls!"
Though confessedly, I'm having an easier time parsing it now, just over ten years on from when I first had to read Wuthering Heights for high school English class. Hell if I know what changed.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The PS1 Anniversary theme already features that startup jingle, FWIW.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I only really know of the Ross's Game Dungeon episode, which made the endgame look tedious (timed missions in obtuse adventure games: yaaaay?) and noted that the music is super good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kind of want the two Darkseed games, to be honest.

Even though they're both kinda crap.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, personally my quibble would be that I don't use the A button as my most-used button on the Saturn controller (I tend to go for C), whereas X is my most-used button on a PlayStation controller more often than not, so there's a mismatch in the button layout there. Unfortunately it's one I have no good solution for, given that C and B for confirm and cancel (respectively) are reversed on the X-axis from X and Circle doing the same tasks (again, respectively) on a modern PlayStation console, but you also can't really flip around the traditional PlayStation layout without wreaking hell on muscle memory.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of Need for Speed is perfectly fine, as far as ports of that game go. It's super comparable to the PS1 version, according to DF Retro, with the only notable loss being the in-game soundtrack (which you can just play on your computer in the background or something, I guess?).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

wow this tv suuuuuuucks, component input only supports up to 480i.
This is actually exceedingly common for consumer-grade CRTs - and most PVMs/BVMs, too (hence why the ones that do support 480p are more :retrogames: than the rest). 480p was more common in flatscreen televisions.

I think HD CRTs will support 480p (as well as 720p and 1080i), but if I recall correctly, those also tend to use the same upscalers that flatscreens do, and thus won't work with light guns and/or look like crap. I've never owned one myself to know for sure, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

Well since most of the light gun designs rely on the peculiarities of 480i signals anyway, running their consoles at 480p would be likely to prevent the gun from working regardless of the scaler.

The only consoles where you might expect functional light guns from 480p or better is probably Xbox and PS2. Also the Dreamcast, where the light gun games do work on the VGA mode on CRT monitors, so should also work on a 480p output to a TV.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant that they break lightgun compatibility for 240p/480i consoles, due to the upscaler.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also Donkey Kong Country, Tomb Raider, Toy Story, maybe Turrican...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The only Vectordean game I've played is Rolo to the Rescue, which I genuinely still find pretty charming.

Based on that, you'd think I'd like their James Pond work, but while I find it pleasant enough, it hasn't quite stuck with me in the same way. I suppose Rolo has the benefit of being a childhood game of mine, whereas James Pond I only read about as a kid in cheatbooks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I distinctly remember one day of my childhood life where I walked into Best Buy with the money to buy exactly one Genesis game, but being torn between Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings (I dunno why, the box spoke to me), Garfield: Caught in the Act (I loved Garfield and Friends), or Aladdin (likewise, I loved this film - and I still do, it's tied with Hunchback of Notre Dame and Zootopia as my favorite Disney Animated Canon film).

I walked out of there with Aladdin, and a few years later I found Garfield: Caught in the Act new at GAME in England (literally an NTSC-U version of the game in a PAL game store - no idea how that happened, but I sure as poo poo bought it, since that was about as common for me as spotting a unicorn), and I loved the snot out of both of them (funnily enough, they both have the same basic play mechanics, too, which is strange), but I never did get a copy of Izzy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I intend to, yeah. Was actually gonna pass off a Saturn to slowbeef while I was down there, and peruse the shops for any interesting finds. It's my second time, personally; last was in 2016, and I came outta there with Fighters Megamix, Resident Evil for the Saturn, and Mega Man X3 for the SNES. Kinda wish I bought Power Stone 2 as well while I was at it, but :shrug:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Manky posted:

Right on! Hope you got here safe, it was a bear driving from the Philadelphia area. Though got a lot better once we passed into MD. You definitely need to pick up Power Stone 2 at some point, I still play that on the regular. I don't think I'm looking for anything specific, maybe look for some PS1 titles - I have embarrassingly little for it. Also cool, I didn't know SB was here.
To be clear, I'm not at MAGfest yet; I'm only going on Saturday, and since I don't live very far from National Harbor (like an hour of Beltway driving at worst), I was just gonna buy tickets day-of and head on down then.

Actually, I should probably buy tickets today...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm really miffed I missed Red Eye's panel because I had work on Friday.

At least I got to talk to Shadsy, one of his co-hosts for that panel, on Saturday. That was a fun talk.

I didn't really get much at MAGfest. Was tempted to get Dark Savior CIB for $60, or Twilight Princess Gamecube CIB for $50, but eh... Ended up only getting another Saturn SCART cable (because I have two Saturns hooked up right now, so, sure, why not), an OoT amiibo (and now to grind amiibo Rune drops in Breath of the Wild until I start getting OoT outfit pieces in those chests), and a Mother 3 translation repro (literally the only repro I had any interest in whatsoever - and if my luck is as good as it was when I bought Earthbound off of eBay, this means Nintendo will announce an official release within a few months). Whatever money I didn't spend now will probably be better spent on eBay later, where I have a wider selection to choose from.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kinda wish they hadn't nixed C and Z buttons (outside of that one six-button arcade controller that I don't own - and even then, I think they're just analogs for L and R), but I'm a weirdo for preferring six-button pads, I've found.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Forget that, bluetooth Model 2 Saturn controllers on the way.

Also Genesis controllers. All three consoles, really, RetroBit's got it covered. Nothing Master System or earlier, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

worthless. posted:

Oh hell yeah! I love VIDEO GAME.
Retro Gaming Megathread: Oh hell yeah! I love VIDEO GAME.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I too, have felt similar joy playing Typing of the Dead. :razz:
If one does not feel joy when playing Typing of the Dead, they may be emotionally dead inside.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

falz posted:

Uhhhm yes. He paged through that games right as I bought, he pointed that and a few others out as "good ones". Honestly I'm just as excited to play the Lobotomy FPSs (quake/Duke/PowerSlave) since they sound like they're interesting ports with a unique Saturn engine.
Powerslave is sooo good. Like if you fused Metroid Prime with Doom, but it's in Egypt. (Admittedly it hews closer to Doom than Prime, but that's understandable given it's the only one of the two that actually existed at that point.)

I wanna like the port of Quake more, but :shrug: It's just kind of annoying to play with the control schemes on offer (I don't really care for the optional analog one, either, cuz inverted vertical aim and you only look up for as long as you hold the analog nub downward, else you snap back to a neutral angle). Episode 4 must be hell, then, given Spawns are already the worst enemy in existence in the PC version where you can actually sort of hit them with mouse aim - I don't know that I want to fathom attacking them with a Saturn control pad. Meanwhile, I haven't put much time into Duke 3D, though I've gathered a fair bit of the scripted events got axed due to the differences between the Slavedriver engine and the Build engine - an unfortunate but necessary compromise. Kinda wish my copy had a box or manual; may have to rebuy that one.

Anyway, $100 for all that, Jesus

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, it replaced each cut level (which, as far as I'm aware, are limited to the four secret ones) with a new one unique to the Saturn port that, to my knowledge, have never been ported back to the PC version. That rather bums me out, since there's a rather cool tree-tops stage in Episode 2, and I'd kinda like to muck around that in a version I can actually control well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Because it's short for Elemental Gimmick Gear and is kind of like Zelda with robots that spin on their rear end.
Dad offered to buy me this game and play it with me back in the day, but I turned it down because the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave it a mediocre rating.

To this day, that's one of my biggest regrets. I don't even know if the game is good or not; I just feel bad for turning down time with my old man. (I mean, he's still alive, so it's not like I can't try to have some now, but...)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, the KS8000 onward have HDMI only. You're not going to get anything less than HDMI, and if you want something less than HDMI, you're going to have to buy an external device to convert it to HDMI (and thus may as well just be buying an XRGB-Mini or OSSC or something, though I'm not fond of the resolution-switch delay on the former and have no experience with the latter).

I'm kind of annoyed at the loss of S-Video on the TVs that actually do have less than HDMI, honestly. It's like, you can use composite, which looks pretty bad, or use component, which probably doesn't even support 240p, with nothing in-between. Ah, well...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dishwasherlove posted:

Not sure if this has been posted?

DF Retro video on Powerslave

https://youtu.be/HCsO8O4W4Fw
The accompanying Eurogamer article was posted in the Early FPS thread, but I don't think it or this video were posted in here yet, no.

Powerslave is really drat good. That fusion of Doom with your typical Metroid title isn't one you really see, even nowadays (the Metroid Prime series being the obvious closest analog, but other than that?), and it performs really well for a 3D Saturn title. Naturally, people caught on to that, so the Saturn version is like $100 or so (when I last looked a few years ago, probably more now), so I'm glad I caught on to the buzz relatively early on and picked it up back in 2006. Still, the PS1 version's pretty good too! (...but I don't care for the PC version. At least, what I've tried of it...)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, IIRC, they only do consoles whose patents have long expired, so that's another legal avenue Nintendo can't take.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Re:4K discussion: I have a 4K TV right now and bluntly, it's not really worthwhile unless your couch is very close to the television as it is. Mine is not, and even with my TV being 60", I cannot tell the difference between 1080p content and 4K content at the distance I sit; I have to get up-close for the scaling artifacts to be noticeable on the former. I can more-easily tell the difference between 1080p content and sub-1080p content, for what that's worth.

The real draw of 4K TVs, at the moment, is high-dynamic range content... which my TV doesn't support (well, it supports the signal, but it doesn't do the localized brightening that is kinda required for HDR to work, so). Plus the quality of HDR is kind of running the gamut at the moment. And then there's stuff like Dolby Vision to consider, and like, IDEK anymore...

I'd honestly advise waiting for HDMI 2.1 HDTVs to become standard before buying a new HDTV, since that at least allows for variable refresh rates (i.e.: adaptive sync/G-Sync/FreeSync, if I heard correctly). Speaking as That should eliminate in-game screen-tearing or overt hitches in the framerate, so speaking as somebody who actually has a G-Sync monitor, it'll be a worthwhile companion for game consoles that support that feature (which... presently is just the Xbox One X, with Microsoft being forward-thinking to the point of absurdity here - but, I dunno, maybe Sony can patch it in with a firmware update or something; Nintendo probably won't bother until their post-Switch console, though).

Also, these new TVs only seem to support HDMI, as was mentioned earlier, so you'd either need some sort of upscaler (because you ain't pluggin' in component or composite, that's for sure), or you'd have to start looking into these FPGA devices to replace your existing hardware. Kinda sucks, but it's where the industry is moving.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

honestly if it wasn't for the lovely moaning lady sound effect this would be a pretty okay piece of video game music
I appreciate the direction they were attempting to go with it. They just needed to borrow better "woman grunting" sounds this Sega arcade classic. Even though that game was two years later to my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pegnose Pete posted:

After listening to the Retronauts episodes about game soundtracks on vinyl and the one about FM synthesis I got to thinking about the scene of retro game music preservation. What's the scene like here? I remember NES soundtracks being available in NFS format but it would be cool if there was a huge exhaustive Google Drive of wav/flac collections of old soundtracks. I had a dream last night that there was an FPGA portable music player that ran the synthesizers/audio chips of retro consoles directly to listen to old sountracks.
With the Analogue NT mini there was a built in NFS player right? Assuming that it's more accurate than running through an emulator (after some googling apparently there were some audio issues with the unit that were later patched), it would be cool if people used that machine to make high quality rips of soundtracks using the NFS player.
No idea if this is plausible or if anyone cares.
I dunno about dedicated hardware for playback, but as far as emulated music formats go, VGM went from only supporting Master System to supporting Genesis, Sega CD and 32X, and then to supporting music from a shitload of hardware including NES (including FDS channels), Game Boy, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, MSX, various PC sound hardware (Tandy 3-voice, AdLib, probably some others), and a whole smorgasbord of arcade machines. All you need is a single Winamp plug-in (though I'm sure there's something available for less-dead music players); as for music, SMSPower hosts the Master System rips, Project 2612 handles the Genesis/Sega CD/32X rips and VGMRips covers everything else. It's swell.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2018