Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ItBreathes posted:

When looking for a controller with a usable dpad to use with a PC, is there any reason not to go with / compelling alternative to an 8bitdo?
If you've already got a Dual Shock 4 and Steam, you can just use those instead of buying a new gamepad. I personally like the feel of the Wii U Pro Controller and bought a $20 adapter called the Mayflash Magic-NS that allows me to use the Pro Controller (and several other controllers, including DS3s and DS4s as well as DInput and XInput controllers) between PC, Switch, and several other consoles.

Ironically, it doesn't work on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ItBreathes posted:

How's the size of the WiiU Pro controller's dpad compared to an original SNES controller? It feels a little small but I confess it's been ages since I've held a real SNES controller.

Looks like all the methods to connect a gamepad to the PC require having your WiiU in the whole time as well :eng99:
It's been forever for me as well, so I can't really say how the SNES controller's D-Pad is, but I'm comfortable with the size and positioning of the Pro Controller's. The only problem I really have with it is that the analog sticks can be a bit sensitive, which is fine in 3D games but can cause problems with unintended inputs in retro games. I had to be very careful not to brush them accidentally when I was playing the Mana Collection on Switch, because sometimes I'd find myself running of in random directions. Not sure if that's the controller's fault or the emulator's, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

al-azad posted:

Hey, let's just say Mario 2 has been treated with more respect than other Mario games like the Game Boy titles.
I haven't played much of the first Mario Land, but 2 and 3 were extremely my jam back when I had a Game Boy and a lot of free time. :shrug:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You might want to try Super Paper Mario.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Beware Dr. Robotnik's insidious speed traps!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or these?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seconding BizHawk for PSX emulation. Even aside from my apparently unique problem where ePSXe will randomly decide whether or not it works day-by-day, BH is easier to use because it doesn't require plugins or much tweaking.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Pilotwings and F-Zero also benefit noticeably from the bsnes Mode 7 upscaling. There's also the airship and chocobo sections in FF6, but they're comparatively small parts of the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rad Valtar posted:

Looks like I’m going to be getting a Shield TV Gaming Edition and I was trying to look up some stuff about the best Emulators to run on it and most of the stuff is pretty scarce or old It looks like for older stuff like NES and SNES RetroArch is the best. The year old videos I’ve seen are using Muphen64 for N64, Dolphin for GameCube, ePSXe for PS1 and something called reicast which looks to be Flycast for Dreamcast. I’ve been playing around with RetroArch a bit the past couple of days and I’ve got it down pretty good. My guess is I will just have to tinker with it when I get it to figure out what’s best.

My question is if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction for a lot this. I know it’s a big question but for someone just getting into this it’s a lot to digest all at once.
I hate ePSXe. All the plugins you need to set up make it super fiddly and easy to break. Use RetroArch or preferably BizHawk instead IMO.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently there are rumors going around that the PS5 will be 100% backwards compatible with every Sony console or some poo poo. Personally I don't find it very believable; I think PS4 bc is the best we can realistically hope for. Full bc would make the PS5 a day-one purchase for me, my PS2 ain't doing too well and I never owned a PS3, but I'm not going to expect it or let that rumor color my expectations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neo Rasa posted:

Does using an HDMI switcher introduce any lag into stuff or is it not an issue?
I don't play a whole lot of rhythm games or the like, but I've never noticed any real lag using an HDMI switch in my setup.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Wii U Pro Controller is good enough that I use it on my Switch and PC.

OTOH, I don't like the Switch Pro controller nearly as much, mostly the D-pad, but also the placement of Select and Start vs the share button.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have this one, but yeah, there are $20 adapters that you can use to do stuff like this. Also, you can install apps on a softmodded Switch that allow you to use other consoles' controllers on it IIRC.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 15, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

This is something that always sticks in my head when reading or listening to Americans talk about buying games as kids, are these not standard store furniture in America? Over here in the UK those theft detection gates have been in pretty much every store for as long as I can remember. The only time I've ever seen stores use a paper slip system for buying electronics is when it's a smaller store that doesn't have the shelf space to display everything or for really big stuff they don't want people taking to the tills.
You usually see them in bigger chain stores; small mom'n'pop shops don't always have them. Also, it's uncommon to see things like this where it's one department cordoned off from the rest of the store; usually the poles are at store entrances/exits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Random Stranger posted:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Unfortunately, I didn't buy the cheap copy of the Wii Fire Emblem game at the same time.
I'm in the exact opposite situation; I bought Radiant Dawn when it came out and have been completely unable to find a copy of PoR. I saw it once in MicroCenter, but it was disc-only.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drrockso20 posted:

What's that?
One of the game's main villains is basically a mad scientist hell-bent on creating eldritch abominations in the hopes of artificially creating a god. He survives the game and gets a scene in the good ending where he's standing on top of a castle watching events and basically just says "Whelp, back to the ol' grindstone!"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If that's the GBA game, I didn't play all that much of it, but the little bit I did seemed cool.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

Yeah this is super obviously a silly collectible.

Now give me a Dreamcast mini you absolute sons of Sega
What's the state of DC emulation nowadays? Is there even a good emulator for them to steal repurpose and stick in a DC Mini?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, IIRC accessories are just accessories and there's nothing stopping you from wearing like multiple shoulder pads or pairs of shoes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, softmodded Vita with SD2Vita is the best way to go as far as an actual console is concerned. uSD cards are cheap and plentiful in the wild, while memory sticks and Vita memory cards are expensive and rare. You can get an SD2Vita and a 128GB uSD for less than the cost of an 8GB official Vita card or slightly more than a 32GB memory stick.

You could also go with emulation. PPSSPP works pretty well; I've played a few PSP games on it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

SD2Vita (requires softmodding and a $2 accessory) means you can just dump a big ol microSD in and load it with PSP ISOs if you want. The PSP memsticks weren't proprietary but it's probably a bit tough to find decent ones these days.
Memory sticks were absolutely Sony proprietary, they just weren't exclusive to the PSP. A lot of Sony digital cameras and printer/scanner devices at the time could use them, and the readers got built in to a lot of those combo card drives on PCs. They also weren't anywhere near as expensive or hard-to-find as the Vita memcards.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 24, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe try replacing the cable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Depends upon the cart, there are flashcarts that are made for the 3/2DS (that only play DS games) which will work on an unmodded console. Just make sure the cart will work on 3DS before you put it in there, because IIRC the console will brick flashcarts it detects.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I had a third party PS1 memory card that was like a 32-in-one where you changed virtual memory cards using buttons on the face of the MC. It actually worked pretty well, right up until my brother dropped a TV on it. Sadly, it never lived to meet my eventual PS2.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Taintrunner posted:

I stumbled onto something playing my RG350M and was curious, how common are "hacked" ROMs that add stuff like unlimited lives or whatever? I was playing a version of Thunder Force 4 which had an unlimited lives option at the beginning, and was just curious how common those were - without getting into :filez: territory of course.
"Trainers" where a ROM has basically a cheat code menu hacked into the intro were fairly common around the GBA era, IIRC, because you'd primarily play them on a flashcart without cheat capabilities of its own, but I don't think "Game X just with infinite lives" is a super common romhack elsewhere.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe we shouldn't take the advice of the guy with the haunted Gamecube.

(j/k)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's a PS2 exploit called FreeDVDBoot that enables Dreamcast-style burned disc shenanigans and can be used to make a FreeMCBoot Memory Card.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Check the keybinding on your slow-mo? Might have been set to your triggers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is it a specific game or core that's exhibiting this behavior, or just Retroarch in general?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure is a surprisingly good action/platformer.
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is legitimately one of the best Metroidvanias period. Personally I'd say it's better than Symphony.
Astro Boy is pretty good from what I played.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ten years is the general rule for retro. I think it's fair to call Wii a retro console. An infant born the year it came out would be in high school now. They'd be about the same age I was when Wii came out. I know when I was in high school in the mid 2000s, I considered NES and SNES to be retro.
The pre-3D consoles are a weird beast. When I was in high school they were considered retro, and I graduated in 2001.

Personally I support the designations "current gen, last gen, and retro", even if the thought of the PS360 gen (which launched after I graduated) becoming "retro" makes me feel like an old man. Hell, the PS2's already retro and it launched after I graduated.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What about Super Adventure Rockman?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So is the Analog stuff emulation consoles or do they actually recreate the chipsets?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure I've never bought any collector's editions, but I have some games that had preorder bonuses and "feelies" or whatever included in the base game. Games like DQ8, Ar Tonelico 2, SMT4, Persona Q, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I own... *checks notes* Nocturne and Ico.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Phone posted:

I guess I figured out this week's project with the recent mail from Poland:

Outside of figuring out how to convert bin+cue into ccd/img/etc, the only thing that's left is a SCART cable. Oh yeah, and playing games, that too.
In retro gaming as in Skyrim: modding is the game.

Some Goon posted:

It's having multiple, different controllers connected that causes the most problems for me. It likes to be weird about which, if any, it'll take inputs from. Having only one attached at a time sidesteps the issue.

Though really it's more that ps1 is the only system where it's offering anything standalones aren't to me.

On a standalone emu box interfaced entirely through a controller I'm sure it's fine, it just gets tripped up with a multitude of peripherals attached. And the menus aren't exactly intuitive, but eh they work. Free, robust, user-friendly, pick two.
Personally I prefer BizHawk to RetroArch. It uses all the libretro cores, but it has a much more traditional interface, which means fewer problems on PC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zophar posted:

I remember a lot of manuals in the PS1 days (especially for RPGs) recommending you buy a whole new memory card for the game in question. This was a prohibitively expensive suggestion to 14 year old me but in retrospect, as I'm sitting on 10 PS1 memory cards organized meticulously by genre, it was probably a reasonable one.
I used to have one of those multi-page third-party PSX memory cards, with like 32 or 64 pages available. The biggest space hog games I had took like 2 blocks each, so I had more than enough space; I let both of my brothers have one page each and spread my saves out over several pages and still had like half of the space on the card free. Then it got crushed under a falling TV.

Ofecks posted:

Animal Crossing on GameCube came with one just for that purpose!

The reason I switched from BizHawk to RA is because BH had a ton of unavoidable input lag. It lacked a true fullscreen mode, and there's no way to get around the Win10 innate triple-buffering of windows by disabling desktop features like you could on Win7. If they've added true fullscreen since then, cool. But you'd still have to deal with screen tearing whereas RA has solved that problem via Hard GPU Sync and Run-Ahead.
Huh. I've never noticed an appreciable amount of input lag on BizHawk. Granted, I play a lot of RPGs, but I've also played games like Symphony of the Night and Mega Man X on it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Breadallelogram posted:

Managed to get the usb drive to work by:
-waiting until the MODE menu is on and it's locked in "disc detection"
-unplug the usb drive so the message changes to "no disc detected" error
-plug the usb drive back in and press the reset button on the console
-now the game list loads

I could never get the usb drive to work on initial power up.

After getting frustrated with that, I decided to switch back to my HDD that wasn't being detected a few days ago (and the reason I bought a new usb drive). Now it works?! I power cycled several times and it worked every time. What the gently caress?
Had a similar problem with my Wii U. I bought a second-hand portable HDD to use on it, but that drive was always flaky with it; I'd sometimes have to turn the system on and off several times before I'd hear the drive spin up and the console would finally recognize it. Then that drive actually died, and I picked up a brand-new Seagate Basic external HDD for it. That drive had its own unique problem, where the console would recognize it if it was unformatted and would allow me to format it for the Wii U's use, and afterwards I could use the drive normally - until I turned the system off and back on again, at which point the drive would start making seek noises but was not recognized by the Wii U.

Finally, just for shits and giggles, I moved everything on my PC's external drive (a WD Passport) to the Seagate (which works fine on PCs), and then tried the Passport on the Wii U. It worked (and still works) fine. I have no clue why. :shrug:

tl;dr:

kirbysuperstar posted:

computers yaaaaaaay

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Voice of Labor posted:

retrogame confessional.

setting up a mister I have realized that I have never played a game gear. like, I do not even think I have run a game gear game on an emulator.

p sure it's the same for the lynx.
I think I'm the same, nobody I knew as a kid had one and so I never paid much attention to or cared about any games that were on it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's saying that they might have shipped it, not updated the tracker or sent you an email, and it's trapped in USPS hell now. I had that happen with a copy of Fire Emblem Three Houses I bought from GameStop on black Friday, it took over a week to arrive and they never sent me any tracking info or even updated the tracker to say they shipped it. I sent them a strongly worded email on their support page about how they (apparently) hadn't shipped it yet and then found it just sitting there. Afaik they still haven't updated the thing; at the very least I haven't gotten any emails about it so far.

There's still fault to be had there, they need to keep on top of those tracking emails, but if a big corporation with ridiculous amounts of automation on this poo poo can give this up, it's understandable that a small operation might mess it up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There are at least some that have two or three presets for autofire.