Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Those are good! Or at least they were the best 2600/C64 controllers available at the time.

But he didn't post a picture of a Wico Command Control :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

d0s posted:

I have the same N64 controller I've had since launch and my stick is fine, is it only the sticks subjected to the crazy movements of something like Mario Party that get trashed? I never played mario party because I don't have friends.

Mario Party 1 (ghost bicycle minigame) and Smash (smash attacks) are the main culprits for N64 stick death. I too still have both of my launch controllers and they're as tight and responsive as the day I got the system, so maybe being a controller thrashing mongoloid also factors in to early stick ruination.

Only Shallow posted:

I always thought the later color n64 controllers were more reliable than the original grey ones.

I have the pack-in grey controller, a solid red launch controller, an atomic purple, an ice blue and a jungle green controller, and they all feel identical, so there's some anecdotal evidence against this theory :v:

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 28, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mods plz namechange me to SEGA GENIUSES

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There are plenty of fun VCS games, you just have to remember that they're from the era of score attacks and not level progression or story-based games.

Also, pretty much everything that Activision and Imagic released are gold.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Also, VCS Asteroids is better than the arcade version.

fight me

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fishmech posted:

Nintendo definitely intended there to be an open port there, they added the additional plastic cover you need to slice off after Nintendo decided they'd never use it. The basic NES case design has those three channels to run a cable out to either side or the back for something plugged into the port, anyway.

In addition to the conduit channels on the bottom of the case, the space in-between the male clips on the expansion port cover are also designed to be wide enough through which to route the AC adapter and composite A/V or RF switch's cables. It's especially useful if you still use the composite connections, since otherwise they're just dangling off of the side of the console.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best solution for housing a big CRT is an old hifi/TV entertainment cabinet. Check Craigslist, I guarantee that at least a dozen of them are being given away in your area, for free.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The first thing you should do when playing Mad Maestro is to crank the DS2's pressure sensitivity to as low as possible in the options menu. The game goes from nearly unplayable to a pretty decent standard rhythm game after that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Diddy Kong Racing has no place in a world where Crash Team Racing exists.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rirse posted:

At this point are some of the JRPGs released for the PS1 even worth playing if you never tried them before? I don't mean stuff that came from last gen like Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire, or stuff that aged well like Suikoden, but stuff like Legend of Legia, Legend of Dragoon, and Lunar?

Yes. The PSX has arguably the best jRPG library out of any console.

And Legaia owns

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

absolutely anything posted:

a lot of different people have a lot of different "the best mario kart is actually your ____"s to write off people who don't like the one they like but the actual answer is that mario kart generally gets better with each entry and most of them are fine

Yeah, except it's Crash Team Racing though

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a shame that only like, 2 or 3 of the included games (Crystalis, P.O.W., maybe Guerilla War) are worth half a poo poo.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That description could fit like 90% of the games released between 1988 and 1994 :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mak0rz posted:

Thou Shalt not Copy Thy Floppy.

New thread title plz

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

d0s posted:

That would be more appropriate for the retro computer thread. "Thou Shalt not Dump Thy ROM" doesn't have the same ring to it

Ahh, yeah. How about "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's RGB SCART+Upscaler Setup"?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Alucardd posted:

Now only if there was a ML2032 that could keep a charge for the dreamcast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Slot-LIR...3.c100505.m3226

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a drat shame that Teleroboxer was never ported to anything, since it's the best game on the VB. ARMS comes kind of close to it in terms of gameplay, but it just lacks the mid-90s charm of chunky pixel mecha boxing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ofecks posted:

I forget where I read it, but in Mallrats when Brodie is playing the hockey game in his room, he's holding a Genesis controller but the game footage is one of the NHL games for Saturn.

It's actually weirder than that. In the original theatrical and VHS releases, Brody's playing NHL 94(iirc) on the Genesis, but it was changed to NHL 97(iirc, might be NHL Superstar Hockey) on the Saturn for all later releases, starting with the DVD.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Change the thread title to Poolhall Thrills Megathread

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's pronounced "Regular Nintendo"

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zand posted:

playing shmups for score is painful

I really like horizontal shmups because the levels tend to be more interesting

Horizontal shooters are rad as hell yeah

where's my Progear ps4 port capcom

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself a soundbar decent pair of bookshelf speakers, a decent subwoofer and an amplifier unit.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

falz posted:

I for one like rando stickers if they're era appropriate. Especially small family run video store stickers on carts. Any game i get like that I keep things on. This includes plastic cases from video stores with their stickers on them or where they hacked up a box.

The other week I picked up Sega CD Time Gal from some pawn shop where the original video store cut parts of the original cardboard box (this release didn't come in a jewel case) out and stuck them on a plastic case, including the spine. It's kind of awesome.

Note that none of my nostalgia applies to Blockbuster since I never went there as a kid, our locally owned rental stores were always better.

Edit, stuff like this:

Oh man, I can just smell the old popcorn and cheap industrial carpet. :allears:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cinematography by Wes Anderson

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

this thing is great

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

African AIDS cum posted:

Are there any NES games that make an NES Advantage joystick worth keeping around?

Every shooter and overhead perspective game. Jackal is especially fun on a stick.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

All right, I got my Saturn set up, my boot cartridge flashed, and I’m ready to go. What are some of those cool JRPGs I missed?

Just stick Dragon Force in the system and glue the lid shut

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

What? He'd get more than his money back for the SNES alone. PS2s and XBoxes are cheapish, but even they go for around $30 each.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That SNES shell could be restored by leaving it in a bucket of LA's Totally Awesome! all-purpose cleaner from Dollar Tree, overnight. It'll strip the paint off with some gentle scrubbing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dance Dance Revolution ACE came out in 2016, so i'd say we're still in the golden age of arcade games

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Deadguy2322 posted:

Frank Cifaldi can go gently caress himself.

Frank's one of ours, so gently caress YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The proper pronunciation is "soopernitendo"

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was kinda pondering collecting for the Sega Genesis. Would this be wise or should I just get a giant cartridge and put ROMs of games I have brought on Steam and Virtual Console?

I heard the 360 failure rate was 30% or so. Is that accurate?

Also what made the original Xbox so bad?

56%. It's a miracle that MS still has a console division, since the original 360 is a pile of garbage.

The 360 model E is fantastic though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RZA Encryption posted:

Just got a cute lil tv at the thrift store for $7. It was in the original box with remote and car adapter!

It's not gonna replace the framemeister, but I might get a comfy bean bag and set up a little station.

You totally need to have a game night that ends in a viewing of Robocop on VHS or something

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LuiCypher posted:

In the early game, the beginner Mr. Johnson likes to give you ghoul hunting missions. They seem lucrative (much more than the milk run package deliveries he gives you), but don't take them. Ghouls can shrug off bullets from nearly every gun available to you in the early game, they move quickly, and they hit like a truck. Most of your early-game ghoul hunting missions, if you take them, are going to end with DocWagon bailing your rear end out and costing you money. It's boring, but just keep doing the milk run package deliveries. They aren't worth a ton of money, but the Karma they give you accumulates quickly and it's just what you need to pump up your skills to prepare yourself for bigger and better missions.

ABBACAB

(I couldn't find a .gif of the title unrolling, so just pretend that I did)

But yeah, Shadowrun on the Genesis is amazing, and it's basically a precursor to the 3D Grand Theft Auto games in terms of openness, but with more character customization depth and loving sick Matrix runs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If this thing doesn't have Symphony of the Night, Crash Team Racing and Mega Man Legends, it can go rot in a dumpster

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It'd probably be a licensing nightmare, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 should be included. Since Square Enix is really loose with their licensing, and they own Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, I wouldn't rule out seeing Tomb Raider 2 and Soul Reaver on the PSX Classic. Capcom's also usually good about licensing for these mini consoles, so Resident Evil 1, a Mega Man game of some sort (preferably Legends), Street Fighter Alpha 3 and maybe Breath of Fire 3 are probably a good bet, too. The only stumbling block would be Konami, because a PSX Classic without MGS, Suikoden 1 or 2, Silent Hill and SoTN would just be kinda tragic.

Also $100 for 20 games is ludicrous, this thing should either be $20 cheaper or have 10 more games.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you have it on Xbox, then you don't need any other versions since it's the definitive one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's worthless if it doesn't have Sega CD compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm sure they sell medicine for that these days