Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sega CD and Game Gear support?

Now i'm intrigued.

Also, the SMS support should theoretically allow SG-1000 games, since iirc an Everdrive on a stock Genesis will play SG-1000 roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

All I see is a bunch of quitter talk

Hoard all the games; play all the games

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

As long as they're taken care of, probably forever. I have an Atari VCS that rolled off of the Sunnyvale, CA assembly line in 1977 that still works perfectly.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ofecks posted:

SFC is better at some things, MD at others. Generally (but not completely), SFC is the RPG machine.

I mean, in terms of quantity, sure.

But the Genesis had Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2.

checkmate, nintendouches :c00l:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

plz rename thread to Retro Gaming: JOIN THE FUNCO FUN CLUB

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SoTN is 240p. I know this because it won't run on my HDTV on a PS2 over component, due to 240p being unsupported on my specific TV.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It would have the form factor of a DMG, but with a 5:4 aspect ratio screen, L+R buttons, a rechargeable lithium ion battery, 10w dual stereo speakers, the ability to play GB, GBC and GBA games, an HDMI-out port that outputs at 1080p and the case would be milled from a solid block of aircraft aluminum

It would cost $800, or $850 if you want a real cherry wood screen bezel and buttons

It would still lack a backlight

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zand posted:

give me thps4 signed by Bam Margera. I will pay up to 25 dollars

I mean, West Chester is tiny and only about a half hour away, I guess I could scour all the bars to find him

It'd have to be THUG 2 though

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

wa27 posted:

Where can I get a NGPC signed by Crazy Town?

The same place where I can get a Game Gear signed by Glenn Danzig

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Retro Gaming Megathread: Smashmouth Sign the Dreamcast game Elemental Gimmick Gear

Why isn't this the thread title yet?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Xenomrph posted:

Are you talking poo poo about the movie Waterworld? Because the movie is great, and I’m incredibly stoked that we’re getting a Blu-ray release of the extended cut soon.

Come at me, bro.

You got me excited, then I looked it up and found out that it's just the TV edit and not the ~4 hour long original cut with like 5000% more Dennis Hopper :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

man if you got a 32x and ain't got kolibri yet why the gently caress you even buy a 32x, that's like the one game for 32x that's actually worth owning

Kolibri isn't even good

The good 32X games are Star Wars Arcade, Virtua Racing Deluxe and Space Harrier

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Honestly, I'm shocked that Rayearth isn't more expensive. There were only 3000 total copies produced, and there were 3 different versions of the disc art, so 1000 of each. The game also came with some feelies, so a CIB copy is exceedingly rare.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Null of Undefined posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of people think rondo is the best old-style Castlevania, but I really think Bloodlines might have it beat.

It's a tossup between Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines, really. Dracula's Curse slightly edges out Bloodlines for me, personally, but they're both amazing. Rondo is overrated as hell, but still in the top 4 behind DC, Bloodlines and 1.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The GBC is most definitely a new console that was backwards compatible with the original GB. Black cart games were mislabeled, since they're not actual GBC games, they're GB games that have extra features when played on a GBC, kind of like the last year or so of GBC releases had some games that had extra features when played on a GBA(most notably, the Zelda Oracle games).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wizard & Warriors 3 legit loving owns and is one of my favorite NES games of all time. It's super obtuse, but once you figure out what to do and where to go, it's really fun.

Just read a guide for the first 3 Trials and then wing it from there. The path from the town (area 1) to the castle (area 2) is kind of convoluted, but once you get the 3rd trial (Knight 1) done with, you're good to go.

Also protip: only spend your money on Keys.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you for the link!

Before, everything worked except the joystick button (it wasn't the joysticks). As I opened the rf shielding the thing you plug the power into just...fell off. That combined with any damage I might have done taking it apart, plus my failure to remove the chip and maybe I messed up the board somehow. It just makes sad noises and lines now. I'm out of my depth.

I've got an old crt tv that was displaying everything nicely.

You didn't gently caress it up, the 2600 just has a few parts that fall apart after 42 years :v:

Buy this https://console5.com/store/atari-2600-total-refresh-kit-new-capacitors.html and follow the guide, and it'll work better than the day it rolled out of the factory.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best pre-SoTN Metroidvania is The Goonies 2 on NES.

Fight me

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Star Tropics is not the best NES game ever made, but it is my favorite. And it is my favorite for some very personal/intangible reasons (it was a game I bonded with my mother over because a coworker of hers also had it). I love how weird it is, like a bizarre mish-mash of Dragon Quest and Zelda, and the restrictive grid-based movement is kind of neat once you get used to it and can pull off what feels like combos as you queue up a lot of movements in your head. It also looks and sounds great and a lot of the locations, bosses, and weapons are pretty memorable. Big fan.

Plus, the music is loving great. Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge is really good, too.

edit: derp, missed that you mentioned the music! :hfive:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fishmech posted:

Kinda goofy and sad since it's not that hard to pick up high quality woodgrain or actual wood veneer kits intended for just this sort of project. SHouldn't cost more than $30 to get enough to cover a whole NES, accounting for wastage from improper trimming the first time around and such.

Or you can always hydro-dip the case.

http://www.hydrodip.com/shop/water_transfer_printing_film_for_sale/wood_grain_patterns/?ProductID=9286

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Barudak posted:

The SNES Mini is legal ... the raspberry pi is neither

What are you, a fuckin cop?

Just lol at worrying about the legality of emulating 20+ year old games

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Chucktesla posted:

Got my game room looking halfway not like poo poo

Also installed some cheap shelves that i'm not really in love with but whatevs materials cost $30

My next project in here will prob be to get some sort of av receiver that can handle as many hdmi inputs as I need, then I'll move on to finding some sort of entertainment center that will hold all these garbage consoles.

Dollar Tree shelf bracket bros :cool::respek::cool:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

what even is considered THE genesis sound? which board revision?

Any model 1 with a real YM2612, but the launch unit and VA6 are the preferred units. VA6 is my preferred sound, since it's properly balanced, but some people prefer the launch unit because it has slightly heavier bass, at the cost of popping on the high end if you don't run the audio through the headphone jack with the volume slider set to 8 or 9.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

wa27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Written by the guy who claimed to be deaf for 18 years and then it turned out he wasn't. I'd totally believe him after listening to this track though.

Clownfarts.aiff is a loving treasure

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best Tetris is Tetris Plus on the PSX/Saturn

gently caress you fight me

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tetris Worlds is basically a sleep aid, it's so goddamn dull

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah, over on the EU version

That's a hell of a lineup so far. If the emulation is good (and it's M2, so it will be), this thing will be on par or better than the SNES and NES classic editions.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I hope that guy's only statement was "STOP loving HIRING ATGAMES"

But seriously, this is only half of the lineup so far, and the games are at worst, decent little time wasters (Altered Beast, Space Harrier 2), to really loving good games (EWJ, Thunder Force 3, Shinobi 3, World of Illusion) to all-time classics (pretty much everything else).

All it needs are Shining Force 2, the Phantasy Star games, Sonic 3&K, Toejam & Earl 2, Shadowrun, Vectorman 2, Pirates! Gold, and Dynamite Headdy and it'd be near-perfect.

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker
Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes

edit: The only downside is that it comes with the 3 button controllers. Not that they're bad, but Comix Zone really wants the 6 button controller for inventory usage.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

This only matters if you are one of the strange people who collect the 5 screw variants

hi i'm that weirdo

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Actraiser 2 is actually as hard as most people think Dark Souls is

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beavis & Butt-head and Pac-Man 2 please

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ballz posted:

Forgot to include the google translated link. The buyer’s comment is near the bottom.

Rereading it he seems to be more anti-repro as opposed to anti-rom distribution. A better translation is probably in order.

I did chortle at “I’ll always protect it as a Japanese treasure. I promise.”

Jesus christ, these people are shitbags.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Konami GB Collection games got GBC enhanced versions in EU only, so grab those if you can.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beer fridge/arcade cab combo is blessed af

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

zoink2000 posted:

On another note, out of curiosity I bought a repro of a Sega CD game from https://crebbatech.com/ and its the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen, so I'd suggest avoiding them. Everything is clearly printed on a cheap inkjet, and just using standard paper; plus the label on the disc was full of air bubbles - I've yet to buy full repros, I've bought a couple replacement labels for NES games that were great, but this one has really soured me on buying anything more than that.

Ok, first things first: don't buy disc-based repros, just buy a spindle of CDrs and burn the drat games yourself.

Second, holy poo poo whoever runs that site is an rear end in a top hat. Those aren't repros, they're just straight up bootlegs. Repros are for games that were never released in your region/language, not for common, but in-demand games like Toejam & Earl or Gunstar Heroes.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

candy cab project idea: Versus City with two 2P 3-button control panels and NBA Jam

That sounds like the absolute poo poo and now I want one.

While we're throwing out cool ideas for arcade cabinets, I want some kind of triple-screen triangle/Y-shaped cockpit version of Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off-Road

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Illuminado posted:

It's a lot of work to cut those traces and bodge them back in. As for playing it at that angle, you can just adjust your grip a bit and you're fine.

I'd be interested to see those iPhone5 Home Button tactical switch hacks to convert for possible conversions, but don't think it's really worth it at this time.

Those are the same kind of tactile switches that an Atari 2600 controller uses, and they're garbage. You can buy soft tactile switches that feel like a proper copper on carbon contact mechanism from any post-1981 game controller.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3101

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's funny to remember what game genres were named back then, before things were mostly codified into things like "platformer", "fighting game" "brawler/beat 'em up" or "first-person shooter"

Instead, we had "Hop & Bop Sidescrollers", "1 on 1 Fighting Games", "Sidescrolling Fighting Games" and "Doom Clones/Corridor Shooters" :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Shut up and hand me the paddle so I can beat this board, I only got one guy left and my dad has to take the Nintendo tape back to the video store in an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Almost Smart posted:

I bought my first Arcade One Up unit this past weekend (the Final Fight one) and I actually like it way more than I thought I would. I'd like to get more, but I hate how they allocated some of the games. Like, I would love to have Street Fighter 2, but I don't need the standard, turbo, and super versions that are 95% identical.

Every iteration of SF2 is wildly different from the last